Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209288 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 284
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4890 on: April 15, 2024, 11:19:47 PM »
Wonder if Arto had 1" hardware in his Destructos?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4891 on: April 16, 2024, 02:07:39 AM »
Any Intel from somebody who switched from Ace to Thunder?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4892 on: April 16, 2024, 04:17:46 AM »
everything feels crispier on thunders vs ace
especially the forged baseplate models
but ventures do everything better imo
when you get them dialed its all over
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4893 on: April 16, 2024, 04:55:28 AM »
Went the other way. I'll admit I hate thunders. They don't turn.

In the interest of objectivity...
Thunders turn is more gradual as you lean and the turn radius is larger.
Ace turns more overall (tighter circles) but they also turn more as you lean.

At least that's how it feels to me.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4894 on: April 16, 2024, 10:02:10 AM »
Couple of my friends switched to Thunders from Ace. Weight of the truck was the main issue. Both rode their trucks on tighter side so turning wasn't really a concern.

ejazzle

• Rep: 78
« Reply #4895 on: April 16, 2024, 10:11:41 AM »
More stability, more consistent with everything. I dont think there's any other option than thunders for me going forward. I still use ace's on my beater cruiser board.

LeDave

• Rep: -16
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #4896 on: April 16, 2024, 10:23:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
More stability, more consistent with everything. I dont think there's any other option than thunders for me going forward. I still use ace's on my beater cruiser board.

I have Thunder Sonora and they are much better at everything than my Independent Stage 11. I've never tried Ace before although I was going to get the AF1 instead of the Thunder. I'm glad I got the Thunder, the turning and response of it is so much better than Independent.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4897 on: April 16, 2024, 10:36:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
oh another thing he mentioned 2 of the plies are made from Hemp. That is first I had heard about that.  I can't seem to find any more information on this board online but I know I saw awhile ago it was an 8 ply and people were kinda clowning that it was "just an extra ply".  Interesting choice of using hemp. i am gonna go out on a whim here and I wouldn't be surprised the compound that they use for the DSM VX / Resin 7 boards has too many chemicals in it and probably against regulations / under heavy taxes if manufactured in North America - similar to how Vulcanized shoes are always produced in countries with basically zero emissions laws like Cambodia and Vietnam.
[close]
You made me remember about those 9 plus Shuvit boards, good memories. Crazy a 16" WB
[close]
I think josh Kasper had an extra ply blind board too. I'm the same size as cordano and used to always ride Stu Graham boards because they were the biggest but were so heavy I got over it. Wonder how heavy his setup is with that size board plus extra plys. He's gotta be destroying baseplates too

I skated extra ply boards. They was sick. I'm pretty sure I had a 5 ply once too. Not so sick
I'm very interested in hemp bloards tho. Anything to lessen the waste that actually works is good.

I want bones to ditch their bushing manufacturing yesterday. That little piece of unnecessary plastic get my goat making me far less than stoked
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4898 on: April 16, 2024, 10:51:29 AM »
Expand Quote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265641317282

Habitat did hemp ply decks in the early 2010s
[close]

Thought that said “to son” and imagined Freddy signing boards for random kids at a demo and making sure they knew he was that dude

If I had to pick a skate Dad I might go Kenny Reed. I am tempted to pick Mike Ternasky as his works was as important to me as sesame street or the joy of painting. Way more valuable tho. As it wasn't a daily blessing.

I guess I could call Lance Pop too. On account of all the 411s.. Bet that would be toxic af tho. I hate you dad. You brain washed system shit you.
I hate you too you little fuckin gay ass Satan. You're just like your stupid mother. Except when you go bio. I claim those skills
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4899 on: April 16, 2024, 12:07:37 PM »
I got some Rowan 2's coming in the mail, first pair of cupsoles in next to forever

regarding break-in - is just wearing them as non-skate skate shoes for a week or two the best option? Or is there some super cool, underground technique I should do?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

CarcassToss

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4900 on: April 16, 2024, 12:40:03 PM »

Myself and many good friends have all switched away from Ace. It's about 75/25 Thunder/Venture. I'm trying Ventures right now and love them, but we all prefer these trucks to Aces. Ya, the grind is more harsh, but I can run my Ventures loose and not wheelbite as much AND there is more stability. Most people riding Aces don't need that much turn. It's super fun for cruising, but lots of tricks that scoop or land a bit crooked get really punished by the Ace responsiveness.

With all the bushings available now you can dial in the turn on any truck mostly to your liking. Once you get past that Thunders are much better for ledge skating for most as they pinch really well and if you land with your weight wrong the truck won't turn you out of a grind. I used to hate when I landed a bit too heel side on a fucking 50-50 and turned out of the grind on accident. I ate shit on a few high speed 50-50s on a shorter ledge because of this.

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4901 on: April 16, 2024, 03:03:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Myself and many good friends have all switched away from Ace. It's about 75/25 Thunder/Venture. I'm trying Ventures right now and love them, but we all prefer these trucks to Aces. Ya, the grind is more harsh, but I can run my Ventures loose and not wheelbite as much AND there is more stability. Most people riding Aces don't need that much turn. It's super fun for cruising, but lots of tricks that scoop or land a bit crooked get really punished by the Ace responsiveness.

With all the bushings available now you can dial in the turn on any truck mostly to your liking. Once you get past that Thunders are much better for ledge skating for most as they pinch really well and if you land with your weight wrong the truck won't turn you out of a grind. I used to hate when I landed a bit too heel side on a fucking 50-50 and turned out of the grind on accident. I ate shit on a few high speed 50-50s on a shorter ledge because of this.

Holy shit you might have just changed my life with this insight. I’ve been having that happen lately and had not even considered it was my trucks.

manuduncan

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4902 on: April 16, 2024, 05:41:55 PM »
I got some Rowan 2's coming in the mail, first pair of cupsoles in next to forever

regarding break-in - is just wearing them as non-skate skate shoes for a week or two the best option? Or is there some super cool, underground technique I should do?

i had the rowan 2s when they first came out in the dodger blue

at first i disliked them because they took longer than i was used to to break in, like 4 sessions in and i still felt like my pinky toe was getting squished

but after that it finally gave and it's one of the longest lasting shoes i've had

i'd say just have another skate shoe to rotate it in and out with

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4903 on: April 17, 2024, 01:06:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Holy shit you might have just changed my life with this insight. I’ve been having that happen lately and had not even considered it was my trucks.
Welcome to the rabbit hole.
Btw thx for that nice reply. Gnarded
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 681
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4904 on: April 17, 2024, 07:05:12 AM »

I wouldn't say I "switched" I just enjoy riding both
I like all the trucks for different reasons (Indy, Venture, Thunder, and Ace at least - Hoping to try SLAPPY soon)
You have to skate different on them. have to change your timings and the way you do your turns. the paths you take into grinds or how you would hit a line will be different. imo it makes you a more well rounded skater if you can skate different shapes / trucks / wheels. also when you are old and shitty and you cant be assed to learn any new tricks, its a good thing to work on.

when i was under like 25 or so i just rode indy / bones / DLX and i figured even if i ever did get sponsored i would never get on those teams i would probably have been lucky to get krux / satori / monkey stix so i tried to not even let setup stuff bother me cause i always had this mentality like if you are half decent at skating you can make it work on anything...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
« Reply #4905 on: April 17, 2024, 07:48:51 AM »

I switch between the two.

I like Thunder on short wheelbases and small wheels. I'd also ride Thunder if I had access to  a vert ramp. But for the bowls, tight transitions, curbs, janky little spots and inter dimensional skateboarding, Ace 'feel' way better. I prefer the Thunder grind and pinch but I am  prone to ghost pop on Thunder for some reason. When I am on my game and skating at my best, Thunder really deliver and I get a more snappy explosive pop. However, I am mostly a sloppy old man with no precision so Ace just make skateboarding more fun for me. Using a riser livens Thunders up a bit.

All that to say, depends on the set up and I love them both and funnily enough I can switch between them without too much of an adjustment period.

Now.. if rumors are true that Thunder are working on a new model that turns more in an Indy/ Ace vein... well......

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #4906 on: April 17, 2024, 01:06:08 PM »
Question for Canadian shop employees… is anybody actually buying all those $200 pants you carry?  If so, who?  It must be like 95% rich international students who don’t own skateboards.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4907 on: April 17, 2024, 05:14:50 PM »
Question for Canadian shop employees… is anybody actually buying all those $200 pants you carry?  If so, who?  It must be like 95% rich international students who don’t own skateboards.

Not Canadian, Australian, so much the same price here, but yes people are buying lots of the high priced clothing, more so younger dudes, I would say between 18 to mid 20s working and have their own money but fewer big bills, no mortgage, etc so they can work, skate and spend money on that sort of thing a lot more than maybe the slightly older set, or younger set do.

I am always amazed at the price of some skate brand apparel, but Polar 93 or big boy jeans and the like do sell well, way more than I would have thought.  I used to make do with department store jeans or op shop pants growing up, admittedly it was 80s to 90s right through the big pants small wheels era, then just whatever I could afford, but almost never skate brand pants.

The difference is I think I have a lot more clothing overall, compared to some others who only have a few pairs of skate jeans, but they have gone for the brands like Polar for all their jeans, more so than a dozen department store jeans for the same total cost.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #4908 on: April 22, 2024, 12:25:15 AM »
What % of your Slap time is spent on Shoes & Gear vs UWTB? Personally its 90/10 but i feel like 50/50 would be a healthier balance 

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #4909 on: April 22, 2024, 01:09:02 AM »
I'm 100 % Shoes & Gear. I don't think I would have the time for anything else, acknowledging how easy it is for my addictive personality to get sucked into all the banter. I don't want to be on Slap for hours daily.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4910 on: April 22, 2024, 02:26:21 AM »
What % of your Slap time is spent on Shoes & Gear vs UWTB? Personally its 90/10 but i feel like 50/50 would be a healthier balance
Shoes & gear preferably, UWTB gets way too gnarly at times.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4911 on: April 22, 2024, 07:18:58 AM »
I heard a quote once that Twitter is just a game of who can start the best argument where best is defined as how angry you can get. UWTB is basically an unhinged version of Twitter. The troll hating can be amusing, but it's generally best to look in and not get caught up.

All the other parts of Slap seem like more normal skate discussion you'd have anywhere else.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #4912 on: April 22, 2024, 01:23:26 PM »
Something I've been wondering for a while. Are hollow kingpins/axles stronger or weaker than solid ones? Think I read somewhere (probably here) that hollow kingpins are stronger because they can be heat treated on both sides. But my intuition tells me solid would be stronger because more metal. Does anybody know the answer for sure?

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #4913 on: April 22, 2024, 02:03:53 PM »
I'm probably 95% Shoes and Gear, 5% Classified (to see if there are shoes or gear I want to buy). So 100% in a way.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4914 on: April 22, 2024, 04:22:44 PM »
Something I've been wondering for a while. Are hollow kingpins/axles stronger or weaker than solid ones? Think I read somewhere (probably here) that hollow kingpins are stronger because they can be heat treated on both sides. But my intuition tells me solid would be stronger because more metal. Does anybody know the answer for sure?

Hollow are definitely harder metal, especially catching a hollow kingpin on any edge, it gouges it, where as regular kingpin no where near as much.

As to stronger, it could be said yes, but I have still seen hollow axles bend, sometimes faster than regular axles, so I tend to be happier with solid / standard axles and kingpins on my setups.

For weight though, sure they are lighter, which is why they would be more popular for a lot of people, with other things as mentioned above less likely to affect their decision on product choice.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

lulz

• Rep: 50
« Reply #4915 on: April 22, 2024, 06:56:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Shoes & gear preferably, UWTB gets way too gnarly at times.

90% s&g
10% everything else, some times there’s ones gems. Like this: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116360.30
lol

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4916 on: April 22, 2024, 10:29:30 PM »
Am I bugging or did deck prices just take a 10$ USD jump? I’m seeing averages near 75$ in a few places for ye olden popsicle standards.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4917 on: April 22, 2024, 11:02:42 PM »
Am I bugging or did deck prices just take a 10$ USD jump? I’m seeing averages near 75$ in a few places for ye olden popsicle standards.

Been that why for a while now….sale / clearance in the $55-65 range

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #4918 on: April 23, 2024, 01:09:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been that why for a while now….sale / clearance in the $55-65 range

Its gotten to the point where i almost exclusively buy decks during black friday now

DakotaRed

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4919 on: April 23, 2024, 03:07:39 AM »
Anyone know how the Busenitz vintage fit compared to the pros and vulc II's?