Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 165115 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqpst3-uPKo/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Berries uses 2hex for its promotional boards.

Anyone every ride them? They seem to be the only Chinese factory with active marketing and branding.
[close]

A few local brands use them for decks and trucks. The decks are nothing special, standard feeling. The trucks are Indy knock offs.
[close]

I was surprised one of the smaller brands locally here use their wood and try to sell the boards at near pro wood prices, as even the wholesale prices are very expensive to buy them and have them shipped here to Australia.

One guy who skates them (sort of half spono by them I guess) had one setup and I had a roll on it.  Super stiff like Dwindle with similar concave, so straight up not really something I felt happy on, but the boards held up well for him and he says they last longer than some other brands he has had.

Same story here, I had a friend bring in a batch of 2Hex boards and they were insanely steep, only 1 of their team riders could manage it and he had really big pop.

They even advertised their "world's lightest truck" that is supposed to weigh less than a a Tensor Maglight.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Adding this here:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got my Pizza decks from The Drop. Not bad for $56.
[close]
@OhioGuy are those the 8.5 shovel nose? Any chance to give a top view?
Thanks in advance. My 8.25 arrived warped, but even so I’m loving that deck so much.
[close]
Yeah it’s the 8.5 shovel. It’s like a mellow FA deck IMHO. Here’s the top view. I like that they’re the same color as the bottom ply. Can’t see the engraving in this pic, but they’re PS Stix.

The sticker position is a good indicator by itself and enlarged image on this computer, I can easily see the PS Stix laser marking, so it is always good info with pics like that.

Thanks!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know alot of people hate on Thank You but they have a sale going on with a bunch of decks for 29 bucks to 35 bucks....i actually got some during their new year sale and i personally like the shape and the wood they use. Some of their graphics arent too horrible. Just throwing it out there if anyone is looking for cheap decks that are good quality and dont want to ride pizza. I think ill grab a couple more since i like the shape so much
[close]
Do you know if they’re BBS or PS Stix?
[close]

Pretty sure the ones I've seen where Dwindle (made in China).
[close]

The 3 i have say made in Mexico, so PS Stix.
[close]
Do they have serial numbers with PS in them? I think there are other wood shops in Mexico.
[close]

So there was a thank you sticker over where the normal PS stix serial number etching usually would be. So i peeled it off to see if it was there and there is etching that says "7 K"....so made in mexico but maybe its not ps stix....still some good quality boards in my opinion and worth the cheap price
[close]

If you look at the tops of any of the ty boards here, there's no identifiers that suggest PS stix or Dwindle, who both laser etch

https://www.tactics.com/thank-you/decks

Were you guys talking about the brand Pizza or Thank You before?

I kinda get the impression some of you were talking about Pizza and some about Thank You.

Also the letter and number combo is Clutch size and shape, so "7 K" would be 8.25 round on both ends with a standard wheelbase.

Thank You* -2020   ……….   ……….   PS Stix
Thank You* 2021   ……….   ……….   Clutch
Thank You* 2021   ……….   ……….   Dwindle

Pizza* 2022   ……….   ……….   PS Stix
Pizza* 2021   ……….   ……….   Clutch

Woodshop thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.0

Edit:

Re Tactics, looking at that board, I would say that is Clutch due to the colour of the wood stain more than anyting, then the size sticker over the front truck, which brands usually do to cover the letter and number stamps on the boards.

Unless someone confirms it, they could all be Clutch now, or some of the pricepoint boards on something else, so really it is more just an educated guess at this point.

https://www.tactics.com/thank-you/hijinx-x-thank-you-pudwill-elephant-825-skateboard-deck

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Socal Skates has got in a new batch of shop blanks. Helpfully they state that they're made by Clutch.

Thanks for posting!

Interesting to see the different concaves in some of those boards too, especially the angle of the kicks, eg from left to right the pink and burgundy stain boards seem like they have very steep concave compared to the green stain beside it.

Could just be the angle and my eye more than anything, but the shapes look interesting too.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Does someone know where i can find nose and tail lengths for Fa/Hockey shapes (for every size) ?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
Maybe someone that has ordered from BBS can answer this for me…
I have noticed that some companies list BBS premium wood for their boards. Is there a different quality that can be ordered?

My most recent Black Label is stiffer and super poppy compared to some other companies that use BBS. It’s also embossed. I have noticed the same feel on Carpet and Limosine decks as well…compared to like a Magenta or DLX deck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Does someone know where i can find nose and tail lengths for Fa/Hockey shapes (for every size) ?

I feel like all the shops that usually have all dimensions including nose and tail are not the sort of shops that get Hockey and FA boards, with all the other boutique type shops almost never having those measurements.

On hand I have most of the boards, from 8.25, 8.38, 8.5, 8.75 and 9.0 so can dig them out and measure them, but was there anything in particular you were after?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
I have noticed that some companies list BBS premium wood for their boards. Is there a different quality that can be ordered?

My most recent Black Label is stiffer and super poppy compared to some other companies that use BBS. It’s also embossed. I have noticed the same feel on Carpet and Limosine decks as well…compared to like a Magenta or DLX deck.

I haven't heard about "premium" wood but I have heard quite a few things that I would consider more a funny marketing phrase or two used by brands to describe their products, more so than what the woodshops actually put out, including the old "Made in..." for some brands, that have Made in USA when clearly the woodshop is based in Mexico.

There are definitely different layups and quality of wood veneer varies, be it from the pricepoint decks, some Generator or more basic options to some very specific boards for certain brands as well.

Some people have mentioned how some boards looked thicker and others thinner in the veneer layers, others like pricepoint boards with all natural layers just felt soggy and broke more easily, or that some boards have lasted way longer than others and put it down to something similar, while all still coming from the same woodshop too.

In terms of those brands you listed, I think I have all of those in some form or another, mostly in 8.38 or 8.5 sizes, definitely noticing that the Black Label boards I got more recently were way steeper in concave and angle of kicks than some of the other boards, which can go towards making a board feel stiffer or stronger as well.

Two Magenta boards were a bit more "normal" feeling, but one was almost like it was a different concave, very flat and more flexible than the other two, which I like, along with my IV stamped DLX boards, so being flatter they are more likely to flex as well.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like all the shops that usually have all dimensions including nose and tail are not the sort of shops that get Hockey and FA boards, with all the other boutique type shops almost never having those measurements.

On hand I have most of the boards, from 8.25, 8.38, 8.5, 8.75 and 9.0 so can dig them out and measure them, but was there anything in particular you were after?
i know that sometimes Skatedeluxe is off with the measurements but it's probably the best solution right now. I just don't like browsing on skateboarding amazon...
thanks, you're the best but don't bother. I have them at the shop too, i was just being lazy and didn't want to bother myself with conversions from metric to imperial.

I'm making a run of boards with shape and dimensions supposed to be really close to FA/Hockey's.
I wanted to compare before getting the boards at the shop.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 04:51:06 AM by BALARGUE »

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't heard about "premium" wood but I have heard quite a few things that I would consider more a funny marketing phrase or two used by brands to describe their products, more so than what the woodshops actually put out, including the old "Made in..." for some brands, that have Made in USA when clearly the woodshop is based in Mexico.

There are definitely different layups and quality of wood veneer varies, be it from the pricepoint decks, some Generator or more basic options to some very specific boards for certain brands as well.

Some people have mentioned how some boards looked thicker and others thinner in the veneer layers, others like pricepoint boards with all natural layers just felt soggy and broke more easily, or that some boards have lasted way longer than others and put it down to something similar, while all still coming from the same woodshop too.

In terms of those brands you listed, I think I have all of those in some form or another, mostly in 8.38 or 8.5 sizes, definitely noticing that the Black Label boards I got more recently were way steeper in concave and angle of kicks than some of the other boards, which can go towards making a board feel stiffer or stronger as well.

Two Magenta boards were a bit more "normal" feeling, but one was almost like it was a different concave, very flat and more flexible than the other two, which I like, along with my IV stamped DLX boards, so being flatter they are more likely to flex as well.
I know that magenta now have two concaves - the old more mellowish one and since last year they make some models with the new steeper one. I had one deck from 2021 that was more mellow and it felt kind of soft very fast and chipped easier. Now i am skating another one from the last year that has this steeper concave and it feels more solid and have only 1 tiny chip after 2 months of only street skating. Now it feels softer but the first month the pop was super crisp,

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I know that magenta now have two concaves - the old more mellowish one and since last year they make some models with the new steeper one. I had one deck from 2021 that was more mellow and it felt kind of soft very fast and chipped easier. Now i am skating another one from the last year that has this steeper concave and it feels more solid and have only 1 tiny chip after 2 months of only street skating. Now it feels softer but the first month the pop was super crisp,

Thanks ! I know that steeper molds can make a deck feel stiffer for sure…I just never knew if they offered a higher grade veneer or setup. It’s probably marketing😀 the new BL series have super steep kicks for sure.

I agree about Magenta decks, they used to chip on the edges super easy but have improved recently.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i know that sometimes Skatedeluxe is off with the measurements but it's probably the best solution right now. I just don't like browsing on skateboarding amazon...
thanks, you're the best but don't bother. I have them at the shop too, i was just being lazy and didn't want to bother myself with conversions from metric to imperial.

I'm making a run of boards with shape and dimensions supposed to be really close to FA/Hockey's.
I wanted to compare before getting the boards at the shop.

I'd like to suggest you get a measurement tape with both metric and inch measurements on it. Those are so good for measuring decks. I think every shop should have one or at the very least a tape with inches on it. It's such a fucking chore converting from metric to inches and you always get some funky numbers which you end up doubting if they're this or that. I had a hard time finding one in Finland but in the end found one in one of the cheapest tool shops we have, Swedish Biltema.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
I had one and broke it recently, i miss it  ;)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I found another account for a guy who makes his own boards, more specifically some big, long, wide and very much custom to order type of things, which is always so good.

https://texicanskateboards.bigcartel.com/

https://www.instagram.com/texicanskateboards/

Frank Gardner
Custom made skateboard decks, pressed in molds made with my own 2 hands.
Not just a brand name.
If it was, why bother?
100% Texican
texicanskateboards.bigcartel.com

Some pics from his store, seeing as Instagram posts are not loading / on a privacy setting that doesn't allow reposting.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
New GX decks are bbs  now? German site says so.

SlapMcKracken

Palace 8.25 specs look so good. Not into palace but maybe I’ll try one.
Nose could be a bit fuller and it would be perfect.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

If I get this right, people have said Quasi and GX1000 are from the same people / place / distro and last thing I recall others had said about it was they were going ahead with both PS Stix and BBS for their boards for the foreseeable future.

Something to do with their riders, some liking PS Stix, some liking BBS, with other people saying they could ensure they have the most options with their products.

At least it is interesting to hear / see companies / distribution places doing this, as most will go all in with just one woodshop / supplier and stick with it until something better comes up.

Either way it is always interesting to hear how many boards are X and how many boards are Y woodshop in their latest releases.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

scam skate out of winnipeg canada, not sure who they make. looks like you can order custom decks.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
Expand Quote
[close]

If I get this right, people have said Quasi and GX1000 are from the same people / place / distro and last thing I recall others had said about it was they were going ahead with both PS Stix and BBS for their boards for the foreseeable future.

Something to do with their riders, some liking PS Stix, some liking BBS, with other people saying they could ensure they have the most options with their products.

At least it is interesting to hear / see companies / distribution places doing this, as most will go all in with just one woodshop / supplier and stick with it until something better comes up.

Either way it is always interesting to hear how many boards are X and how many boards are Y woodshop in their latest releases.

That was definitely the reason for Quasi doing boards from both woodshops. I'm interested if there is a connection between Quasi and GX. I'd never heard that.

SlapMcKracken

I heard quasi and GX have the same shapes, but never really knew if true.

Do you guys know the tail lengths of 8 and 8.125 AWS and GX decks? The new GX seem to be differ t again.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
I was looking at the alien website
Their 8 and 8.125 come in few different lengths and wheelbases

It doesn't have tail lengths but it still might be worth a look if you haven't already

skatedeluxe.com when looking for dimensions of decks lately
They don't have all brands but the site is pretty good

SlapMcKracken

It doesn't have tail lengths but it still might be worth a look if you haven't already

Yeah looked on both too, but unfortunately skatedeluxe only has one old 8.125 Alien and no 8/8.125
Gx from the new drop.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah looked on both too, but unfortunately skatedeluxe only has one old 8.125 Alien and no 8/8.125
Gx from the new drop.

I know some people don't like certain shop sites as they think they are unreliable, but I would say check out these following sites to get more info (for GX1000 and Quasi that is):

https://gx1000.com/

Has info on which woodshop they use

eg:

https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/drug-cult-8-0

Details:
■8" X 31.625" WB 14"
■ Manufactured at BBS

https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/stick-up-8-125

Details:
■8.125" X 31.75" WB 14.125"
■ Manufactured at BBS

https://www.tactics.com/search/gx1000

https://www.tactics.com/search/quasi/decks

Has info on board dimensions including nose and tails

eg:

https://www.tactics.com/gx1000/dmt-i-8125-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.125
WIDTH (IN):   8.125
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.125
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.375

https://www.tactics.com/quasi-skateboards/crockett-horses-8125-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.125
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.375

Then:

https://www.tactics.com/quasi-skateboards/poem-8125-skateboard-deck

PECS
SIZE   8.125
LENGTH (IN):   31.375
NOSE (IN):   6.81
TAIL (IN):   6.43

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
scam skate out of winnipeg canada, not sure who they make. looks like you can order custom decks.

Yeah, a one stop shop, in every sense of the word.

Skate shop, ramp, presses and automated machinery with a heat transfer machine.

That's pretty cool to see.

https://www.instagram.com/scamskate/

Scam Skate
Not your ordinary SK8 shop. Check out our in-house ramp and skateboard manufacturing!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
I heard quasi and GX have the same shapes, but never really knew if true.

Do you guys know the tail lengths of 8 and 8.125 AWS and GX decks? The new GX seem to be differ t again.

I should have read over it better, but yeah, re Alien Workshop decks in 8.0 and 8.125, from Tactics again:

https://www.tactics.com/search/alien/decks

Not sure how accurate some of those measurements were, as it seemed like this one had left out something, so I filled it in - it had 14.5 wb which is definitely not correct.

SPECS
SIZE   8.0
WIDTH (IN):   8.0
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.5

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/thrasher-x-alien-believe-80-skateboard-deck/orange-graphic

SPECS
SIZE   8.0
WIDTH (IN):   8.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.625
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.9
TAIL (IN):   6.5

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/guevara-mojave-owl-8125-skateboard-deck

SPECS
SIZE   8.125
LENGTH (IN):   31.5
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.0
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.625

Bigfoot is real

Socal Skates has got in a new batch of shop blanks. Helpfully they state that they're made by Clutch.

if it is clutch, they look like they're in the correct place! the only purpose a clutch board has is to be focused against a curb like that.

SlapMcKracken

Palace experiences?

Is the nose on the fuller side or average popsicle?
8.25 I mean.

Are they heavier? A friend told me they are.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Palace experiences?

8.25 I mean.

If it helps here's a top down view of an 8.1 Palace board. Wouldn't say they're heavier imo, atleast to me they're just run of the mill DSM boards nothing spectacular but nothing necessarily bad either. Tail feels a little pointy.

SlapMcKracken

Expand Quote
Palace experiences?

8.25 I mean.

[close]

If it helps here's a top down view of an 8.1 Palace board. Wouldn't say they're heavier imo, atleast to me they're just run of the mill DSM boards nothing spectacular but nothing necessarily bad either. Tail feels a little pointy.

Thanks!

Really looks pretty long and pointy here.
I find them 8.25‘s interesting cause they are not that long though.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
Open Source skate for custom made shapes. pretty interesting.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Another small custom board maker, from NSW, Australia.

https://www.instagram.com/kin_skateboards/

IN SKATEBOARDS
Handmade in Northern NSW, Australia.
kinskateboards.com.au coming soon!