Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172815 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Expand Quote
Do all Alien workshop and habitat 8.25 decks have the same measurements?

And how do I know if it’s bbs or a dwindle one in Europe ?
[close]

Maybe more so just from the pandemic times, but I think all AWS and Habitat boards now are BBS and have been for a year or so, as they had upped production and doing worldwide distribution now, from what others were saying.

The BBS boards usually have "Made in Mexico" on the sticker and the other ones have "Made in China" or at least any I have seen are like that.

If you are unable to go into a shop, the best thing to do is call or message them and ask if they have a "Made in" sticker.

As for size, I think the BBS boards, as per their website, were all that width x 32.25 with 14.2 wb or so.  They have long squared or blunt shaped kicks on all their boards now.

https://www.alienworkshop.com/

https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/dot-wave-8-25

Click for bigger image

Thank you!
I will stick to 8.25 alien workshop decks now. Don’t want to switch shapes anymore.

I hope they will make more graphics in the future.

Habitat is the same shape too, right ?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe more so just from the pandemic times, but I think all AWS and Habitat boards now are BBS and have been for a year or so, as they had upped production and doing worldwide distribution now, from what others were saying.

The BBS boards usually have "Made in Mexico" on the sticker and the other ones have "Made in China" or at least any I have seen are like that.

If you are unable to go into a shop, the best thing to do is call or message them and ask if they have a "Made in" sticker.

As for size, I think the BBS boards, as per their website, were all that width x 32.25 with 14.2 wb or so.  They have long squared or blunt shaped kicks on all their boards now.

Click for bigger image

[close]

Thank you!
I will stick to 8.25 alien workshop decks now. Don’t want to switch shapes anymore.

yeah, sounds like the shape suciu rides. which I had a while back.

It's probably safe to assume metal, will probably run that shape too.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Click for bigger image

[close]

Thank you!

[close]

yeah, sounds like the shape suciu rides. which I had a while back.

It's probably safe to assume metal, will probably run that shape too.

I can't speak to the 8.25, but the 8.5 Fred Gall deck from Metal is pretty close to what you'd find on an FA/Hockey deck. Nice fat shovel nose. Not sure about the BA or other Metal decks out right now since Fred's was inspired by a previous shovel nose deck he rode.

WelcomeToHell

Anyone know where Pylon gets their boards made? Their Instagram says Canadian Made, but no mention of a woodshop.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Anyone know where Pylon gets their boards made? Their Instagram says Canadian Made, but no mention of a woodshop.

This post has (fire) comment from Control, so maybe they are using Control wood.

That would make sense, CA location, and other info, so keeping it local.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
they are made in edmonton alberta at OSM owned by randy jespersen http://www.osm-inc.ca/ https://www.instagram.com/oliveboards/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]
they are made in edmonton alberta at OSM owned by randy jespersen

http://www.osm-inc.ca/
https://www.instagram.com/oliveboards/

That's rad - didn't know about that woodshop, so will add it to the list, as well as the Pylon brand too.

Thanks!

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
[close]
they are made in edmonton alberta at OSM owned by randy jespersen http://www.osm-inc.ca/ https://www.instagram.com/oliveboards/

Thank you!

LebowskisRug

So BBS now does 2 sets of generic shapes:

The "old" generics were mostly used by companies such as Pass~Port, Magenta, Alltimers, etc. they scale in WB after 8.25, which is 14.25, 8.38 has 14.38, 8.5 is 14.5 and so on.

The "new" generics are used by Krooked for a few generic team decks, specifically the 8.5x14.38 shape, which is also used by Limosine, some Frog decks, and now Sci-Fi Fantasy's recent drop. It's also confusing because these companies also use the old shapes. The 8.25 in these new shapes is often 14.12 and there's also a 14" version too. Makes it way more confusing if you're ordering online. The Sci-Fi drop are all mislabeled on the stickers.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
Happy to hear the wheelbases are shrinking…

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I had the chance to get into a couple of shops yesterday to see some more boards, stand on a lot and feel out the concave of some I had not seen in person until now.

Heroin 8.38 is the same as the other Baker, Birdhouse, Element, DLX and DGK in that it is 32.2 with 14.5 wb.  There was a green eagle there and it lined up perfectly.

The China made UMA decks were actually a much closer concave to BBS than anything else I have seen, with the more spoon like kicks, vs the flat faced kicks as per most woodshops.  Besides the "Made in China" sticker, they had the laser etched info over the front bolts area, same as quite a few other boards from that woodshop, which ever one it is, all dimensions listed in a medium sized font.

One Magenta (BBS) 8.5 I saw is indeed smaller in length and wheelbase than other standard 8.5 BBS boards, so about 31.8 and 14.38 wb, shorter than the Passport normal 8.5 which is over 32 and 14.5 wb on one I have, same as Baker, Element, Birdhouse, etc.  These haven't changed at all and have had the two different sizes for a while, as per older catalogs I rechecked.

The China made Birdhouse decks were interesting to see and stand on.  Even seemed like there were two options in those as well, one being all natural with generic logos and the others with stained tops and bottoms with the same graphics as the pro BBS made boards, which could be a bit confusing for some people, but easy enough as the warning sticker has "Made in Mexico" on the BBS boards.

The China made 8.38 is a lot more rounded off looking and just over 32 with a 14.38 wb, compared to the BBS one which is 14.5 wb and a bit more pointy in the kicks, especially the tail.  Concave is more comparable to Dwindle too, nothing like BBS spoon shaped concave.

There were two other notable differences with some boards, both local brands that I am not going to post here, but the wood from one was so flat in the concave and low in the angle of the tail it was almost like a broken board in that regard, which was weird.  I don't recall standing on or feeling that woodshop before, but it seemed to be more on the lower end of the quality scale.

DLX has had three regular 8.5 shapes for as long as I can remember, so nothing new in that department.  Maybe some people just haven't seen them for a minute, but they have always been around.  When I was riding smaller boards like the 8.125 black eagle, the normal 8.5 with 14.38 wb felt so damn big when I set one up ten or more years ago, so I went with the blue eagle on the short version at the time for a bigger board I sometimes skated.  Now I think the normal one feels way more comfortable than the short version, but I have also had quite a few of the long 8.5 board, which vert and big bowl dudes liked a whole lot, with the much longer wheelbase.

DLX 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb (short and tapers a lot from front to back)

DLX 8.5 x 32.2 with 14.38 wb (normal and stays true right through the rail with more pointy kicks)

DLX 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb (long stays true through the rail with regular popsicle kicks)

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586

The "old" generics were mostly used by companies such as Pass~Port, Magenta, Alltimers, etc. they scale in WB after 8.25, which is 14.25, 8.38 has 14.38, 8.5 is 14.5 and so on.

The "new" generics are used by Krooked for a few generic team decks, specifically the 8.5x14.38 shape, which is also used by Limosine, some Frog decks, and now Sci-Fi Fantasy's recent drop. It's also confusing because these companies also use the old shapes. The 8.25 in these new shapes is often 14.12 and there's also a 14" version too. Makes it way more confusing if you're ordering online. The Sci-Fi drop are all mislabeled on the stickers.

Thanks for sharing this. I wonder if the "old generics" are slowly being phased out for the new ones. If not, it's gonna be a shit show trying to get consistent shapes unless you go to a shop with a tape measure.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for sharing this. I wonder if the "old generics" are slowly being phased out for the new ones. If not, it's gonna be a shit show trying to get consistent shapes unless you go to a shop with a tape measure.

The brands that give full listings of their dimensions, along with the shops that actually measure their boards (correctly) definitely make things a whole lot easier.

Having someone just read specs from a sheet and add them into board listings can often be hit or miss, along with some brands that even seem to get their own dimensions wrong when they publish them, but any which way, at least checking yourself is always the safest way if you are going somewhere.

I often find boards first that I know are specific dimensions and then compare them to other boards I am looking at that I am not sure of, which is in some ways easier than pulling out a tape measure, but even in that regard, nothing is stopping anyone from doing that.

That might be the safest thing to do if you are after a very specific size, dimensions or whatever, but usually standing on a board is the best way to make sure.  If it feels good to stand on, there is much less likelihood of it being a board you don't want to ride, compared to something you stand on and just put straight back on the shelf.  Done that quite a few times to boards I thought would have been really good over the years.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 439
Are Sci Fi shapes close to the FA/Hockey/Quasi?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Are Sci Fi shapes close to the FA/Hockey/Quasi?

No, they are a standard BBS mold similar to a DLX deck with semi-tapered kicks. The wheelbase is shorter than DLX shapes which is a nice change up.

If you want a similar nose / tail without the crazy steepness of FA / Hockey, check out AWS or Habitat.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

doublesteveburger

anyone know what wood ScumCo uses?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
anyone know what wood ScumCo uses?
Control for most, but they've recently released some from bbs.

Get hungry on it!

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
Hearing rumors Sour is changing from hcl to bbs

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Hearing rumors Sour is changing from hcl to bbs

Sour US is under baker now, so yeah, the new boards will be bbs

Euro sour however who knows.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Curious to hear more as to any other things with them, along with some other brands that might be using HLC for just Europe or worldwide now.

Looks like I need to update the list a bit for HLC brands, as it is one of the woodshops I really don't know anything about, besides what I have seen from their site and associated pages.

Their instagram had this list (first ones with - before I had, but the second list I didn't have at all.

https://www.instagram.com/hlcdistribution/

- Jart
- Sk8Mafia
- Plan B
- Sovrn
- Flip
- Cruzade

Player
Mosaic
Long Island
Elixir
Aloiki
Iron
YOW

This was the list I had for HLC brands on the first page:

Cruzade
Element* (EU)
Flip* (Europe)
Habitat* (Europe) -2020
Isle* (EU)
Jart
Plan B* (worldwide) 2021+
Rassvet Paccbet (RU)
Robotron
Sk8Mafia* (Europe)
Skateboard Café
Sour
SOVRN* (Europe)
The National Skateboard Co.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
I for one am pleased to hear they are going bbs. I would love to support them but despise hlc decks. Hlc decks feels stiff and dead to me

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I don't really get on instagram a whole lot to browse, but this post from the Blanks thread is pretty good, as are some of the other Pennswood posts with their unique graphics.

Pennswood is doing this new spinning paint drip method.  Not sure if they count as blank but the hydro dipped ones were pretty popular a while back so figured I’d share.

This one too:

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Not sure how I missed adding the info here, as discussed in other threads like the WBSWB Thread a while back, but Tired Skateboards are now on BBS, as per these pics from Off and more info from others in the Egg Thread too.

tired “1989” shape
9.225/32.0/14.0

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Being a taller guy you might enjoy the longer wheelbases of the Cardiel (snuff & Huffer) decks.
[close]

Yes, decks with longer wheelbases are my priority but also I want a shape I like. If somebody knows how is the wood of Tired Skateboards let me know, please. I've not found any info online. Thank you!
[close]

Tired are BBS as far as I’m aware, I’m skating one of the 9.125 egg shaped decks at the moment (I think it’s the “Chuck” shape) and been really enjoying it. All of the shaped Tired decks I’ve seen have super mellow kicks/concave and most if not all have a 14”WB I believe (may be wrong but I think that’s the case), so maybe keep that in mind if you were thinking of grabbing one
[close]

rad if true. if you have any info to back that BBS mfg info up, drop it in the woodshop thread b/c i think the tired info is wicked out of date.
[close]

Just had a quick look at the Tired decks we’ve got in stock to compare to other BBS brands and the Tired decks have the exact same warning sticker as the FA decks we’ve got in (the FAs have the wee hologram sticker on em too so definitely BBS) as well as some other brands. The one I’m skating also had the circular puncture between the top bolts and defo feels like the other BBS decks I’ve skated recently so I’m fairly sure, will try to remember to post in the woodshop thread when I’m home tonight!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy

I came across another wholesale board supplier the other day, "Perfect Skateboard MFG" who are most likely getting wood from somewhere like BBS or Clutch, but not confirmed.

Been around for a minute now, first post late 2021, for Perfect Skateboards, then June 2022 under the MFG account.

From the web site:

Located in Escondido,California

First time order will have no Setup Fees, Then $150 per graphic size run

Turnaround time is 3 weeks

Minimum order quantity is 50 decks

https://www.instagram.com/perfectskateboardmfg_/

https://perfectskateboardmfg.com/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy

They seemed pretty keen for more accounts, so anyone wanting a run of boards could get in there quickly and easily enough it seems.

I also saw they were printing H Street boards there, so who knows which other brands they have printed boards for, big or small.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
[close]

This post has (fire) comment from Control, so maybe they are using Control wood.

That would make sense, CA location, and other info, so keeping it local.

Thanks for that info! Didn't see that Instagram post.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No worries.

It was confirmed they are using OSM for wood, just in case that wasn't clear too.

I had to double check I had that in the main list, but it is in there now.

OSM
Canada

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No worries.

It was confirmed they are using OSM for wood, just in case that wasn't clear too.

I had to double check I had that in the main list, but it is in there now.

OSM
Canada

Thanks, again. I actually thought that was new post that I quoted and realize now it's from September. So appreciate the clarification!

Badandoldskater

• Rep: 31
I see that orchard skate shop has a few decks being made in the state in Maine. Anyone know where or by who? Would love to purchase and support a Maine product Thanks

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
I see that orchard skate shop has a few decks being made in the state in Maine. Anyone know where or by who? Would love to purchase and support a Maine product Thanks
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114587.0
Here is the info about it.

Get hungry on it!