Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172812 times)

ajb0611

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Violet Dims
« Reply #1080 on: June 29, 2023, 09:12:56 AM »
Hey curious what the dimensions are on Violet decks. I hate it when companies only list the width. If anyone knows what the length and wheelbases are for there 8.38 and 8.5 decks it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Violet Dims
« Reply #1081 on: June 30, 2023, 05:23:35 PM »
Hey curious what the dimensions are on Violet decks. I hate it when companies only list the width. If anyone knows what the length and wheelbases are for there 8.38 and 8.5 decks it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They are one of those companies that don't release info, as well as only a few shops actually having their boards, which does make it harder.

If you are in USA you can contact a few shops for more details, including 808 Skate and Post Modern, as per links below:

https://www.postmodern411.com/brands/violet/

https://www.808skate.com/brands/violet-skateboards/its-violet-skateboards-peace-psalm-91-deck-blue.html

Then the only other one which has any type of info is Heshdawgz which is Japanese, and at least has width and length:

https://heshdawgz.com/?s=violet

8.5 x 31.8 or 31.9

8.38  x 31.8

Going by those dimensions and some 917 Call Me decks I have also being those, which all have 14.25 wb I would say that could be the most common size, length and wheelbase, factored in.

The only other thing is some have said they are BBS and some PS Stix, so I don't know which is which, but it would show on top with PS Stix always putting the serial number and Made in Mexico with the size in a larger font under that, whereas BBS would often just have a dot, some other info with Made in Mexico all in smaller font.

Hope that helps, but I would say check with those shops that have them in stock - someone in there should have a measuring tape or at the very least compare them to something like a DLX 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb (as per the sticker on every board) which is the blue eagle, which should be about the same dimensions.

Both those shops show as having the DLX boards in those sizes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Adding this here too:

Expand Quote
Hi!

Been watching some "FTP" decks arround.

I am curious about what woodshop they use and what its shapes/info are for 8,25 and 8,38 decks.

lenght, wb.. squared? pointy? mid? tail/nose

somebody skated them or got info?
[close]

Yoo somebody brings some light?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314159381385

The only FTP decks that comes up that easily shows woodshop include this one, which is on Generator (BBS) wood, so would be the same usual Generator shape and dimensions.

Not sure if this is an old one or the company is even still making boards, or if it was just a run at something to widen their fashion business, which is what it looks like on their instagram account, but I don't really follow all the new cool brands either.

Another listing from the same ebay collectables seller, maybe on Clutch wood or something else, but who knows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314159378218

https://www.instagram.com/ftp/

Looking at other places, the decks are up to four times the price of any other normal board, so are they more just high priced fashion collectables?  I would rather buy four local shop boards and know I have good wood and supported a local shop, but that is just me.  Not hating, just don't understand the hype, but I have always been more into good wood and graphics / brand second, even though I do have favourites anyway.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 123
An Instagram post promoting the PS Stix 50 board offer.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I bought some new Skatewarehose blanks and noticed theyre not the Clutch blanks. They have a wide mellow nose and have the width of the board pressed on the the top where the nose is. Also noticed it said made in China. Curious to know who is making these boards?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
I bought some new Skatewarehose blanks and noticed theyre not the Clutch blanks. They have a wide mellow nose and have the width of the board pressed on the the top where the nose is. Also noticed it said made in China. Curious to know who is making these boards?

I have seen a few different versions of the sort of board you are talking about, usually brought in as blanks by this or that distributor for shop boards or small runs to do graphics on for people who do their own brands, but as to exactly who or where, it is just one of the many woodshops in China, quite possibly Excel, or Jeeping, from the business search that comes up with supply and history of dealings.

All those sort of places are a little harder to try to get any info on besides sometimes seeing their names on product boxes or other info like that.

Overall the boards are reasonable, all identical single press type of thing, definitely not bottom of the barrel cheap rubbish, but people have said they are also not quite in the same league as the top woodshops.

Some people really like the way they skate, others not so much, but it was said there are literally thousands of shapes for those boards, so when the distributor or who ever brings them into the country, (usually a shipping container full) they would have checked samples or gone with the most popular shapes / choose what they want well in advance and get tens of thousands of units in per shipment.

I had compiled a folder of pics of the tops of boards with the size stamps, but will have to find it and post again if anyone is interested.

They are fairly generic plain looking though, eg just the number 8.25 or 8.375 or 8.5 on them and nothing else.  That is different to the Element boards, or the ones from Canada Skateshop or other places that had a lot more info, eg size, other dimensions, etc.

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 20

If BBS had this I would suggest we get together and crowd fund some Slap “shop” decks...

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
Expand Quote

[close]

If BBS had this I would suggest we get together and crowd fund some Slap “shop” decks...

Imagine the endless discussion on shape, wheelbase etc...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I get what you are saying, but just go to www.skatesamples.com and you have BBS boards, whatever quantities you want in whatever size you want, no need for graphics, at a reasonable price too.  More so for USA people than anywhere else in the world, but they still worked out cheaper to send here than buying something I didn't want locally if I got more than a few.

The diversity is also what makes Slap so good, so I can't easily see any one size, shape or anything else being common enough, besides having one on the wall or stashed away as a collectable deck, more so than riding it.

Either way it would be interesting to see what people would come up with.

Fairy troll graphic?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I get what you are saying, but just go to www.skatesamples.com and you have BBS boards, whatever quantities you want in whatever size you want, no need for graphics, at a reasonable price too.  More so for USA people than anywhere else in the world, but they still worked out cheaper to send here than buying something I didn't want locally if I got more than a few.

The diversity is also what makes Slap so good, so I can't easily see any one size, shape or anything else being common enough, besides having one on the wall or stashed away as a collectable deck, more so than riding it.

Fairy troll graphic?

A best of 'stylin on you' series would be amazing

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
'B' Shape - An update to the famous G shape. Tapered on both ends with a standard wheelbase. Excellent all around board.

If I found a brand / shop that consistently used the 'O' Shape I'd gladly stick to those - Square nose and tail, standard wheelbase... Popular new shape amongst the cool kids.

https://rayzlv.wixsite.com/clutchdistribution/copy-of-shapes-1
Top of the World uses the O shape here in Canada for their shop boards.

https://www.topoftheworld.com/products/stickers-30?variant=40454937149529

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
'B' Shape - An update to the famous G shape. Tapered on both ends with a standard wheelbase. Excellent all around board.

If I found a brand / shop that consistently used the 'O' Shape I'd gladly stick to those - Square nose and tail, standard wheelbase... Popular new shape amongst the cool kids.

https://rayzlv.wixsite.com/clutchdistribution/copy-of-shapes-1
[close]
Top of the World uses the O shape here in Canada for their shop boards.

https://www.topoftheworld.com/products/stickers-30?variant=40454937149529

That is pretty cool they list the shape in the info as well, so you can choose which shape and size you want, eg

8.25 E shape
8.25 O shape
8.375 E shape
8.375 O shape
8.5 O shape

TOP OF THE WORLD DECK - "TRES EQUIS"

30 YEAR ANNIVERSARY DECK - STICKERS BACKGROUND

*GOLD FOIL INLAY

PRINTED IN CANADA

MADE IN MEXICO

Shape Notes:

E SHAPE IS A TRADITIONAL DECK SHAPE (BAKER SHAPE)
O SHAPE HAS A MORE SQUARED OFF NOSE AND TAIL (QUASI/FA SHAPE)
POOL SHAPE (9") TAPERED SHAPE WITH SQUARE NOSE AND TAIL
ONE SHEET OF JESSUP GRIP INCLUDED.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fairy troll graphic?
[close]

Or the most recent pit

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
got a few decks from board pusher, they could supply what some friends needed for a thing.
board has a white circular sticker, with a red maple leaf on top, and then the number 5. control?
the board itself looks kinda gross: no colored plys, thick plys….fairly flat tho. doesn’t seem like it’ll last long, but had a great time skating it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
got a few decks from board pusher, they could supply what some friends needed for a thing.
board has a white circular sticker, with a red maple leaf on top, and then the number 5. control?
the board itself looks kinda gross: no colored plys, thick plys….fairly flat tho. doesn’t seem like it’ll last long, but had a great time skating it.

Yeah the red maple leaf is a Control thing
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fairy troll graphic?
[close]

[close]

Or the most recent pit

getting funds to order the boards would be easy. Distribution of said decks would be a nightmare, unless one of you have a business with a fedex or ups account and can ship boards at a reasonable price.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Might seem like an insignificant detail, but should I change any reference of Dwindle to DSM in the main page, in the woodshop listings?

Are people going to know DSM or does everyone know Dwindle wood more easily?

Just was thinking about Jacuzzi thread / post with reference to Chop Chop Woodshop, but even putting that on there is not really right either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

And in case anyone didn't see the dedicated thread, this one is worth checking out on the woodshop front.

Definitely needed its own thread, but I am curious to hear more.

DLX boards made in China thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=127113.0

Debated putting this in the woodshop thread but feel like it deserves its own discussion.

The recent DLX prebook has about 70% of the boards listed as Made in China. They cost roughly the same as a pre-Covid DLX board while the BBS boards are 30-40% more expensive.

From our rep:

In a bold but completely logical move, Deluxe have set up an Asia based board manufacturer to counter the ongoing board price increases from their primary factory. These boards are significantly cheaper and are set up with Deluxe's custom shapes and molds. For the purists, favorites like the AH Classic Eagles are still made in North America.

How long until every company moves the bulk of operations to Asia?

I have seen quite a few board companies start to have boards from more than one woodshop, mostly something like BBS / PS Stix and then an "unknown" woodshop in China, just to have the two price options, or at least that is what they are saying, which does make sense.

Overall the boards from China are not bad, but they were a different concave and feel to other boards from BBS, from those brands that had both going on.

It will be interesting to see / hear if they are the same concave and everything else, which is what this seems to be, not just a generic press and then your graphic on whatever shapes they cut from those ones.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see what happens, if it’s 70%, that’s a lot of volume so maybe they’ll invest or ramp up the quality like what Crail did with Dailan.  Their boards were poor and got a lot better…..

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I’m skating an HLC that I bought in Europe and I like it a lot. Even when I thought it was getting prematurely soggy, it still skated really well.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Got an element order today.
Element 30 squared Madars Apse 3.85
The engraving is different from all of the other element decks I've gotten, and it doesn't say BBS but has all the same stickers as previous decks. Does anyone recognize the engraving?

Has to be one of the Chinese woodshops they're the only ones I know that engrave all the dimensions.

Yep, they are the ones that should have "Made in China" in very small print on the bottom of the rectangular red sticker that is usually on all those boards, over the back truck area.

Friends have them and like them, even though they are a different concave and shape to the BBS Element boards that are out, but the fact that they are on crazy good clearance prices all over the place means they are a reasonable alternative if you need a cheap board.

Another post here too:

Got a BBS madars board with the dims printed near the nose.

Got a MIC board with the engraving looking similar

Dims near nose and element logo near tail. Graphic for reference.

Would be cool to know the name and where the major wood shops are in China and what brands use who instead of MIC as a blanket statement.

As to the names of the woodshops in China, the main ones besides DSM, Dalian and Excel, even Jeeping and others have very little name recognition and almost zero branding or brand awareness out there, from what I can see or gather.

They operate more behind the scenes and whatever deals are done are usually on a level that doesn't involve a lot of information about the brand or the woodshop.

Yes it is frustrating, when people ask or want to know more, but I don't think there is anything that will change in that regard for those sort of woodshops in the way that others are very well known, eg BBS, PS Stix, Clutch / ASF or similar.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 06:38:41 PM by Woodshop »

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
Anybody got the lowdown on Quarter Distribution?
They say “Qualität aus Berlin” but are they really made in Germany, and not just printed there?

Supposedly their Superply is all sustainable Canadian maple held together by epoxy resin. Sounds like Resin7 by DSM.

I want to try and skate some euro-boards. And there’s a local brand on Quarter which has cool graphics/shapes, and I want to support them. They’re called Brodega.
They also have Poetic Collective, Blast Skates and Inpeddo on Quarter Distribution.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
They say “Qualität aus Berlin” but are they really made in Germany, and not just printed there?

Supposedly their Superply is all sustainable Canadian maple held together by epoxy resin. Sounds like Resin7 by DSM.

I want to try and skate some euro-boards. And there’s a local brand on Quarter which has cool graphics/shapes, and I want to support them. They’re called Brodega.
They also have Poetic Collective, Blast Skates and Inpeddo on Quarter Distribution.
Brodega is a killer name, love it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624

My new local shop gets their decks from quarter. They say they're actually made in china and not germany at all. Which strongly contradicts the quarter branding.
* The decks are from superply, which is under quarter.
I have the superply catalog with all shapes and sizes if anybody is interested.

Here's what the quarter website says: "We source the blank decks from factories with decades of experience in production and development."
So yeah, seems like china
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:46:39 AM by goodatmeth »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
I can confirm Quarter get their decks from China

Creachteach

Expand Quote

[close]
Brodega is a killer name, love it.
They do hilariously good graphics.
Their own takes on classic graphics by world or antihero, but also completely original ones.

Expand Quote

[close]
My new local shop gets their decks from quarter. They say they're actually made in china and not germany at all. Which strongly contradicts the quarter branding.
* The decks are from superply, which is under quarter.
I have the superply catalog with all shapes and sizes if anybody is interested.

Here's what the quarter website says: "We source the blank decks from factories with decades of experience in production and development."
So yeah, seems like china
Sure does seem like it.
Have you tried them?
Reports around here says they’re fine, albeit a little heavy.

I can confirm Quarter get their decks from China
That’s too bad. If somethings seem too good to be true, they probably are.
I really wanted to ride European pressed boards, but can’t see HLCs work for me with their 14.2” WB and 7.50” noses. That shit is wack.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
I had a UK brand named Avenue, that I believe was from Quarter and it was like a DSM board with mellow kicks.

Creachteach

I had a UK brand named Avenue, that I believe was from Quarter and it was like a DSM board with mellow kicks.
Mellow kick DSM, perhaps I’d quite like that.
Thanks man  ;)

Ghost Face

• Rep: 113
Somehow I've been added to HLC's stock and pricelist mailer.

They are now doing Roger so I think you can add them to the HLC manufacture.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Somehow I've been added to HLC's stock and pricelist mailer.

They are now doing Roger so I think you can add them to the HLC manufacture.

Thanks!

Is that everywhere, or just EU though?

DM if you have other info but better not to share with everyone.

I am curious.