Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172847 times)

Creachteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 120
Expand Quote
Anybody got the lowdown on Quarter Distribution?
They say “Qualität aus Berlin” but are they really made in Germany, and not just printed there?

Supposedly their Superply is all sustainable Canadian maple held together by epoxy resin. Sounds like Resin7 by DSM.

I want to try and skate some euro-boards. And there’s a local brand on Quarter which has cool graphics/shapes, and I want to support them. They’re called Brodega.
They also have Poetic Collective, Blast Skates and Inpeddo on Quarter Distribution.
[close]

Quarter Distribution is like 20 minutes away from where I live. I know one dude that works there. They get their decks from China and only print the graphics on them in that building. But I have to say the decks are good quality, I just didn't like the shapes I tried. I like BBS shapes.

I haven’t skated enough of anything yet, that I know what I like.
Expand Quote
Anybody got the lowdown on Quarter Distribution?
They say “Qualität aus Berlin” but are they really made in Germany, and not just printed there?

Supposedly their Superply is all sustainable Canadian maple held together by epoxy resin. Sounds like Resin7 by DSM.

I want to try and skate some euro-boards. And there’s a local brand on Quarter which has cool graphics/shapes, and I want to support them. They’re called Brodega.
They also have Poetic Collective, Blast Skates and Inpeddo on Quarter Distribution.
[close]

we do our shop boards at quarter, they’re good quality and pretty flat. the only complaint i have is that they fucked up one of the graphics, which i noticed when they sent us a photo and told them about it, they were like „these haven’t been past qc we’ll make em right” and then they proceeded to send them shits as is, with the graphic messed up. also they took a long ass time to ship this year, the boards arrived over a month overdue, last year they were quick but we just ordered blanks and screened them locally. but yeah the boards are fine.

artprint is another eu-based “manufacturer” that prints on china decks, they’re also pretty good and have more concave. i don’t know of any brands outside of poland that use them but if you can find them i think they’re also worth a try.
I think I have to try a few Quarter decks from Blast and Brodega, now that I’m hearing they’re flat.
Too bad they fucked you on the printing.
Thanks for your input. I’ll check out art print 😊
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

https://www.instagram.com/skatedistribution/

A bit random but this popped up on the "to watch" list.

On another note, I have been seeing a few boards now from some woodshops have way fewer stained ply layers, so I am just curious if anyone else has noticed this too?

One person said each stained ply layer adds 20 to 30 cents to the price of a board, which might not be much for a few, but when you are talking a hundred thousand boards, that adds up to a lot.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

From the Anti Blank Campaign thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126574.0

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone, please post the best place to buy blanks in bulk.
[close]
Skatesamples.com they're from generator, but I don't know how legit, and it's like $20 shipping.
[close]

i got the 10 pack (it comes out to $25 per board once you add shipping, so it was $250 total for me)

the boards are legit and good quality qood, top and bottom plys are stained

it might just be me, but they felt slightly heavier than the better bbs decks ( from word of mouth, these are apparently the bbs boards they sell for shop decks, so theyre slightly less quality than a standard bbs board youd get. this is consistent to what ive experienced with buying shop decks in the past, so i have no problem with it)

so far ive only skated 1 for the past week (since i just bought them) & ive had no issues

I’ve been skating them for a few months. No complaints.

I had been curious about those boards, but I hadn't actually heard of anyone with them, so thanks to both of you.

Of course, being BBS (Generator) they are boards I am familiar with and have had a number of local shop boards on the same wood, as with some other brands that use it, so didn't doubt the quality.

Some of the lesser pro brands or blank boards from BBS I have had recently seem to have a fair bit more concave than usual, not a worry, but definitely more than the usual DLX or some other brands have had in the past.

In light of all the pro brand price rises, along with an excess of wood right now, these seem a very decent option for those who can afford to stock up and get ten or more at a time.

When I first looked at the site, everything cost too much to ship to Australia (with shipping costs doubling the price for me), but for those in USA or not too far to ship within reason, it would make sense.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ridethegutter

• Rep: 67
Any idea what woodshop this is from?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
^ Clutch

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
Any idea what woodshop this is from?

8 C

^ Clutch

For sure.

I am curious if it is an older board, or newer board.

Don't recall seeing the "C" shape, but 8 would be about 8.5 or so going by their other size and shape guides.

The letter is the shape and the number is the size in that shape.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
Less of a woodshop question and more or a shape question. Anyone have a guide to Palace shapes. I see codes listed in descriptions but no idea what they mean.

Going to England tomorrow and trying to get a deck shipped to the hotel hoping to get a fuller shape (FA/Quasi style) not sure which shape code I should be looking at.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Less of a woodshop question and more or a shape question. Anyone have a guide to Palace shapes. I see codes listed in descriptions but no idea what they mean.

Going to England tomorrow and trying to get a deck shipped to the hotel hoping to get a fuller shape (FA/Quasi style) not sure which shape code I should be looking at.

I don't recall seeing any other info besides the season release number, currently S33 and they do seem to be fairly normal shapes for their boards (besides the  8.38 super long wheelbase) so that might be what you are seeing in places - all the same shapes, just different seasonal releases, more for their clothing lines I guess, but their hardgoods do have changes in graphics, but not shape that I am aware of.

That said, I haven't really followed much of the Palace wood side of things besides looking them up for people, all Dwindle / DSM wood, simple shapes, nothing out of the ordinary, no fuller shapes I can recall seeing in person at shops either.

This might help:

https://shop-eu.palaceskateboards.com/collections/hardware

I see from looking up the boards, some places still have Season 27, 29 and others 30, 31 and 32 for newer stock and so on, nothing different in the shapes though.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/palace-skateboards-m123

https://www.penloe.com/search/palace

https://www.penloe.com/product/palace-skateboards-heitor-pro-s27-deck

Palace Skateboards Heitor Pro S27 Deck

Width - 8.38"

Length - 31.13"

Wheelbase - 14.84"

Nose - 6.69"

Tail 6.38"

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
Opinions/experience with Prime Wood LA? Concave and kick steepness?

SoCal has a 7.75 blank with dimensions that sound agreeable to me.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Opinions/experience with Prime Wood LA? Concave and kick steepness?

SoCal has a 7.75 blank with dimensions that sound agreeable to me.

I have one Prime blank in 8.5 and it seems decent, good shape, medium / mellow concave depending on your perspective, similar to a mellow BBS board.

Others have skated them and think they are good, no issues, etc.

Mine is similar to this one, for reference:

https://socalskateshop.com/Prime-Wood-LA-U5-Blank-P24-Deck-Blue-Stain-8-5x32-25.html

All of them seem to have very normal / reasonable shapes, nothing crazy, stained top and bottom, etc.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653

Looks like Politic is going to pick up where DOA left off and start using the South Central "E-Mold" aka "Flat as fuck" shape that DOA used to put out.  I know that shape had a cult following so figured I'd share here.

Get hungry on it!

Scottboarding

• Rep: 87

Looks like Politic is going to pick up where DOA left off and start using the South Central "E-Mold" aka "Flat as fuck" shape that DOA used to put out.  I know that shape had a cult following so figured I'd share here.
Thank you for this! I always wanted to try a flat as fuck but could never find them in stock. Ordered an 8.25 and I’m pumped.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I see that Skate warehouse has a new set of blank board that are now $34.99. Anyone know the difference from the other blank boards that they have?

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]
Thank you for this! I always wanted to try a flat as fuck but could never find them in stock. Ordered an 8.25 and I’m pumped.
Hell yeah!  Be sure to give us your thoughts once you’ve had some time on it.

Get hungry on it!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Found another small woodshop to add to the list:

https://www.instagram.com/az.laminates/

AZ Laminates™
Product/service
100% hand crafted in the USA.
DM for production runs or just one!

Initially from a link from this account:

https://www.instagram.com/psycho_city_skateboards/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I just got an Alltiners Noelle for Alexis 8.125 - and it’s Clutch wood fulfilled by Chapman - same logos on the plastic as my recent Theories boards.

Updated the listing to add / change a few things as people had mentioned from the last few pages.

Interesting there are board brand woodshop swaps still going on, but I guess it is mostly Clutch / PS Stix / BBS more than anything.

Anything else anyone sees that is incorrect on the listings, or needs checking or whatever, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I see that Skate warehouse has a new set of blank board that are now $34.99. Anyone know the difference from the other blank boards that they have?

There are now two different board listings, one $29.99 and one $34.99 so I wonder if they are also different wood / from different places.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Skate_Warehouse_Blank_Maple_Deck/descpage-SW243DK.html

Width - 8.25"
Length - 31.95"
Wheelbase - 14.25"
Traditional 7-ply construction

Nothing I can see on them that would show which woodshop they are coming from, be it stamps, dots or even concave when looking at the side pics.

Guessing more than anything that it is cheaper easily sourced bulk boards, maybe China or elsewhere, but some of the dimensions are different to anything else as well (8.75 and 9.0 decks), not that anyone couldn't make up their own dimensions and ask for that, more so in the bigger sizes, as the 8.25 looks very generic and pretty much the same standard size as everything else.

If someone gets one and then puts up some info, at least everyone else would then be better informed.

Edit:

Looking through the other listings, for the cheaper boards, the 8.0 has a pic with a board with 8.5 stamped on the back truck bolts area, so I would almost 100% believe they are from China, woodshop being Jeeping or Excel most likely as I have seen the same stamps from those woodshops in that area on the boards before.

As to the wood and concave, not what I like but not a problem for board construction and everything else - you get what you pay for there.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
I just got an Alltiners Noelle for Alexis 8.125 - and it’s Clutch wood fulfilled by Chapman - same logos on the plastic as my recent Theories boards.
[close]

Updated the listing to add / change a few things as people had mentioned from the last few pages.

Interesting there are board brand woodshop swaps still going on, but I guess it is mostly Clutch / PS Stix / BBS more than anything.

Anything else anyone sees that is incorrect on the listings, or needs checking or whatever, please let me know.

Thanks!!
Saw at the shop the dreaded clutch dot near the top bolt holes. Very disappointing as I've had several good luck bbs alltimers.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks!!

Looks like the most recent Coda drop has switched from Clutch to PS Stix according to their website.

Get hungry on it!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
The Alltimers is out of character, but I guess they have orders to fill.  I don’t think I’d be that mad, but it’s not my preference that’s for sure….

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Somehow I've been added to HLC's stock and pricelist mailer.

They are now doing Roger so I think you can add them to the HLC manufacture.
[close]

Thanks!

Is that everywhere, or just EU though?

DM if you have other info but better not to share with everyone.

I am curious.
[close]
i asked on ig, they confirmed bbs still.
[close]

Well the Roger decks are 3 euro cheaper w/s than the flip and Skate Mental on the list. No way they are selling bbs imported to Europe for that price.
[close]

It wouldn't be the first time that a company has their main stock on one wood (USA - BBS) and a licensing deal in EU on other wood (HLC), so that could easily be possible.

For some smaller companies or with weird distribution options, this is more common, especially with EU and South America, from what I had seen in the past.

Any which way, I had Roger as BBS from 2022 and on Clutch before that 2021 or so.

Does the HLC catalog have any graphics that show as current in other shops in USA or old stock or any other easily identifiable things? eg certain runs of graphics can be shown as newer or older or more generic are often the licensed graphics.

Regarding HLC now distributing Roger, HLC rep just told me that when HLC distributes a brand, they aren't just stocking, they actually press these brand's boards.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:58:58 AM by BALARGUE »

Ghost Face

• Rep: 113
That's what I thought, looking at the pricing. To be cheaper than Flip and SM it must be pressed by them under license.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Remember when HLC was sold tp that investment group and they released that press release about wanting to be the most dominant board MFG and distro in the world

Licensing deals and region exclusivity are just like any other corporation. When I worked in toys, my boss had a rule, that if we couldn't get the license or atleast North American exclusivity then there was no point in bringing in a product line.

I bet HLC is probably also working on an Asia hub as well. They already have one in Texas
https://www.skateboarding.com/trending-news/spains-hlc-distribution-factory-arrives-in-the-usa

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks!!
[close]

Looks like the most recent Coda drop has switched from Clutch to PS Stix according to their website.

Well spotted!

Updated now with that and others.

Thanks all for all the info / input too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Remember when HLC was sold tp that investment group and they released that press release about wanting to be the most dominant board MFG and distro in the world

Licensing deals and region exclusivity are just like any other corporation. When I worked in toys, my boss had a rule, that if we couldn't get the license or atleast North American exclusivity then there was no point in bringing in a product line.

I bet HLC is probably also working on an Asia hub as well. They already have one in Texas
https://www.skateboarding.com/trending-news/spains-hlc-distribution-factory-arrives-in-the-usa

Love the skate business talk, @Woodshop's got some cool insight on how skateboarding distribution works that was cool to learn. I'm paraphrasing but distributors get the right to sell the brand in the region, so they manufacture / source blanks and screen licensed graphics on them. Explains why a brand like Sk8mafia will have different shapes and dims within each region.

Makes more sense than distributors loading stocks for 100s of each board and graphic.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Love the skate business talk, @Woodshop's got some cool insight on how skateboarding distribution works that was cool to learn. I'm paraphrasing but distributors get the right to sell the brand in the region, so they manufacture / source blanks and screen licensed graphics on them. Explains why a brand like Sk8mafia will have different shapes and dims within each region.

Makes more sense than distributors loading stocks for 100s of each board and graphic.

HLC is negotiating exclusive distribution deals worldwide for brands like Flip, SK8mafia and Plan B. I'm wondering if HLC is shipping blanks to Texas from Spain for US distribution, or is HLC Texas sourcing Blanks from Mexico (likely) for The north American market?

If they want to become the number one MFG in the world wouldn't they have to get more of their wood into the US market, so they can even be seen a viable alternative to say Clutch? Does anyone know of HLC Texas doing shop boards or local brands?

I know slap doesn't have the answers but corporate business strategies for skateboard factories is fascinating

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
What i know for sure is worldwide production is already made at HLC for plan B (i'm pretty sure it's the same now for Flip & Sk8mafia but i'll try to get a confirmation).

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2023 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc
« Reply #1167 on: September 06, 2023, 11:14:32 AM »
You can order directly from 2hex now, but shipping makes it not cost-effective.

https://worldshop.2hex.com/shop?category=1&start=15.00&end=391.00

You can also try their space age, lightest on the market titanium magnesium hollows

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2023 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc
« Reply #1168 on: September 07, 2023, 10:56:04 PM »
Got this chico stix x brian lotti board in the mail today, beyond stoked on this. It’s a wall board for sure although part of me wants to skate it

Guest board on PS Stix as per info in this post, when I saw the warning sticker...

https://www.chicostix.com/products/brian-lotti-8-5-tron-guest-board

Limited Edition Brian Lotti 8.5" Guest Board for Chico Stix

Special 8.5" x 31.5” x 14.25” Shape design by Brian Lotti and Paul Schmitt

Seems like everything at Chico Stix is now PS Stix.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1169 on: September 11, 2023, 12:57:17 PM »
for people who have ridden the AH 8.5 eagle vs the 8.38-  is there a preference?  i hated the 8.5 shape, it felt slim and idk i just never adjusted properly.  but i feel like i recall people saying the 8.38 is a little fuller, and im curious if that would maybe be the better option for me