Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172846 times)

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
Anyone ride the Theories decks since they have been on Clutch?  Trying to figure out how the shape is.  Are they mellow?

Think it varies by drop. They’re pretty good at responding on in their DMs if you ask where a deck is from.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
decided to make a list of brands that I actually give a shit about and delete the rest.

Wanted to see if anyone can clarify a few things:
1. are all AWS / habitat boards by BBS now?
2. are all Alltimers boards by BBS now?
3. Birdhouse?
4.What is the deal with Foundation and Toy Machine?  says Pro Boards PS Stix but they also use BBS?
5. are King and Violet really done by both PS Stix and BBS? First I have heard of this
6. Are Tired + skate menetal done by both still?

I deleted stuff like Hockey from PS STix because it has been so long since they were on PS anyway and seems like they are not going back. so trying to make the list more clear for normal human beings. If there is anything people know that PS or BBS is not making any more please let me know!

The hardest thing with even the last 40 pages is all of this is down to people providing information about boards they have bought, way more so than any brands helping with information about their woodshop changes.  Sure some do provide info and are helpful, but others even reply with some cryptic crap and don't actually seem like they want to help at all - not naming names, because after all this is an open forum, but the interesting thing is there had been messages in the past re good and bad responses to the list from various people, some wanting their brands taken off the list entirely, others wanting to correct information provided that had been posted, etc.

As to the questions, this is the best of my knowledge right now:

1. (as rock lobster said) AWS / Habitat use both BBS and China woodshop (unknown) depending on runs or where in the world, or even pricepoint boards (China) and pro boards (BBS) from what I have seen here.

2. Alltimers were on BBS but recently people had said they had changed again, now Clutch (again) so you would need to check with the shop before you buy.

3. Birdhouse - similar to AWS / question 1 answer, but they definitely have the same graphics on both BBS and China wood here, which makes it confusing for some people - cheaper board is China (unknown woodshop) and more expensive board is BBS.

4. Foundation / Toy Machine have been here and there with a lot of things.  From checking top pics of boards that shops post, it still seemed like they were on both but maybe more so PS Stix in recent drops.  Again it would be a check and see.  They are all still on cheap China (woodshop unknown) here in AU but other parts of the world are very different.

5. King / Violet are a couple of curious ones.  Not a lot of boards from either, but definitely some with PS Stix markings on top, but also others saying there were some BBS boards too, so again it is down to maybe who rides what on the teams, like Quasi / GX1000 in that some riders prefer PS Stix and some BBS so they have both woodshops on the go.

6. I haven't seen or heard anything from either recently, Tired / Skate Mental being on PS Stix, then on Clutch I think for a bit, then just looking at a few places, Tactics has Tired boards with BBS sticker placement.

https://www.tactics.com/tired/workstation-925-wanderer-shape-skateboard-deck

I guess bottom line is people still need to keep this updated with their boards they have bought and what woodshop they are on, if known, or at the very least, pics of the boards so it is easier to work out what they are / where they are from.

Anything and everything helps, but I do often use Skate Warehouse, Tactics and quite a few other shops as a rough guide when they have top pics of the boards, more so than just dimensions or only the graphic pic shown.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
true lots of gibberish in all of it. boards have kind of been made everywhere, for the last few years.

i would love to buy a toy machine, but. the chances of a shop near me carrying an 8” toy machine, in this year of 2023, that is also made by ps stix/flat….i mean that is a tall order.
and i’d rather just ride some 2 year old girl board from stack of used stuff, then ride a clutch/bbs/etc board.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
that's cool to see you see no difference, sorry for the dumb question but where in China are they done?  Dailan? 

My advice Rawb would be look/ask for the top sticker....

Picked up some Habitat 8.38 twins and looks like they went back to BBS

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/mark-suciu-marble-maze-8-375-twin
BBS, black and white "Made in Mexico" sticker

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/mosaic-20-white-8-375-twin
DSM, white sticker with "Made in China"

For China they use Ex-China Hardgoods Chop Chop, not sure if it's the same one DSM used but the silver sticker mentions epoxy though they don't feel painfully stiff like a DSM deck (Enjoi, Blind, Almost).

I'll snap some photos and put them up on Imgur when I get home tonight.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 08:54:09 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
that's cool to see you see no difference, sorry for the dumb question but where in China are they done?  Dailan? 

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

For China they use Ex-China Hardgoods Chop Chop, not sure if it's the same one DSM used but the silver sticker mentions epoxy though they don't feel painfully stiff like a DSM deck (Enjoi, Blind, Almost).

Are they the same concave as BBS though?

Everything I have had from China has had either a Dwindle like concave, or a more generic almost flat feeling concave, as in the boards still have some side to side concave, but the kicks are very flat faced, so not spoon shaped at all like BBS boards.

Curious to know as I recall some others were trying to copy the BBS spoon like concave but just couldn't get it right.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Are they the same concave as BBS though?

Everything I have had from China has had either a Dwindle like concave, or a more generic almost flat feeling concave, as in the boards still have some side to side concave, but the kicks are very flat faced, so not spoon shaped at all like BBS boards.

Curious to know as I recall some others were trying to copy the BBS spoon like concave but just couldn't get it right.

I'd say they are 95% similar in concave, 100% similar for dimensions. A friend of mine rode both and said the kicks on the China decks were slightly more tapered but not game changing. I take his word for it since he skates much harder, is many levels above my skill and only rides the Habitat / AWS twin without switching up the rest of his gear.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Alien Workshop 8.38 Kaos Twin

Habitat 8.38 Mosaic Twin - no laser engraved top markings but I've ridden a Suciu 8.38 Twin with the Habitat logo lasered on the "front" truck mounting holes

Will be interesting to see the latest drop of twins for the holiday season.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
Hey pals, I found these decks and wanted to know if anyone on here might have experiences with them?

https://www.havoc-distribution.com/b2b/skateboard/blank-decks/bold-laminates/2368/bold-sp-blank-skateboard-deck-low?c=687

The description sounds as usual. Made in China where a lot of top brands get their decks from. Single pressed, epoxy resin, 3 colored layers of wood. Top, bottom and middle. The specs for the 8.25 sound good although none of the specs that I recall from Made in China AWS or Girl decks for example. So maybe another woodshop from China. They offer low, medium and high concave which is cool. Maybe I will order one for my homie.
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Honestly I cant stand these brands that keep switching shops and thats why I just stayed away from them for time. but i suppose they are being told sometimes "hey you wont get your boards for x time, sorry" and they need to get boards. they have no choice.

When I show people my list I am going to have a disclaimer for these brands that in my opinion they are just known to jump ship and they get their boards made all over the place so be very careful.

Thanks so much for your help shredders

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
Honestly I cant stand these brands that keep switching shops and thats why I just stayed away from them for time. but i suppose they are being told sometimes "hey you wont get your boards for x time, sorry" and they need to get boards. they have no choice.

When I show people my list I am going to have a disclaimer for these brands that in my opinion they are just known to jump ship and they get their boards made all over the place so be very careful.

It has definitely stopped me from buying some brands now.

Where a brand used to be only BBS, now if there is a chance it is not, I am not willing to take that risk unless I can see it or have it in my hands to know what it is and what the concave is like.

I guess that could be good if you have some decent shops around you, or access to a good supply of boards, but for anyone else with minimal face to face options, I don't like my chances with a lucky dip type of deal.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
Yeah we all know the correct answer is to go into a shop and eyeball them…..that’s super good info rocklobster, thanks.  It’s interesting to hear the manufacturing is levelling up. 

I have a feeling the industry all scrambled to manufacture so that’s why it was varied……and what we are seeing now is too much supply not enough demand plus a recession….

El Freegano

• Rep: 219

I have tried sour and sk8 mafia and i liked them, but I wish they make 14 wb decks.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Anyone bought a Zero deck recently? Browsed the shop and it looks like they are back to DSM / Resin-7, this was for the Anatomy Angel, Sweet Leaf and Floral Bold.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

YMCMB

• Rep: 49

I have tried sour and sk8 mafia and i liked them, but I wish they make 14 wb decks.
From what I've seen they made some 14 and 14.1 no?

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
I have seen only 14.2 of most of the brands using hlc. Their catalog and shape guide has a couple of shapes but all are with 14.2 wb. This week i checked the webpage of one new spanish brand (PLAYER) that uses HLC and they have written they have 14 wb. I wrote  them on instagram to ask about this, but there is no answer yet.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
I have seen only 14.2 of most of the brands using hlc. Their catalog and shape guide has a couple of shapes but all are with 14.2 wb. This week i checked the webpage of one new spanish brand (PLAYER) that uses HLC and they have written they have 14 wb. I wrote  them on instagram to ask about this, but there is no answer yet.

i’d happily skate one of their sub 8” sizes, with the 14.2 wb. not sure who has those in the usa, but the 7.87 and 7.75, 7.5, 7.6….etc, all look great. nice short tail, nose less than 7”. great.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
Anyone bought a Zero deck recently? Browsed the shop and it looks like they are back to DSM / Resin-7, this was for the Anatomy Angel, Sweet Leaf and Floral Bold.

Bought two last week, an 8.0 Summers and an 8.25 Cole, both were BBS.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832

It's a pandemic thing. Prior to that brands mostly plopped down at a woodshop and stayed there. Then the pandemic and stimulus happened and the industry got hit with soaring demand and a massive manufacturing disruption at the same time. Companies just go wherever they can get boards now, and you can't really blame them for that. Most small companies can't afford to not have wood on the shelves at all times.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a pandemic thing. Prior to that brands mostly plopped down at a woodshop and stayed there. Then the pandemic and stimulus happened and the industry got hit with soaring demand and a massive manufacturing disruption at the same time. Companies just go wherever they can get boards now, and you can't really blame them for that. Most small companies can't afford to not have wood on the shelves at all times.

I think also brands realized that skaters, don't know and don't care where their boards come from.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Bought two last week, an 8.0 Summers and an 8.25 Cole, both were BBS.

So USA is still BBS.

AU seems to be on unknown wood from China still.

Asia might be more Dwindle / something else?

I don't think that has changed since last checking, but any other info / changes that need to be made, I can fix the listings.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
@Sativa Lung or @Mbrimson88 do either of you know which decks Sumco is having BBS make, or is it completely random due to forces at play with small brands like them?
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
@Sativa Lung or @Mbrimson88 do either of you know which decks Sumco is having BBS make, or is it completely random due to forces at play with small brands like them?

No idea, even after looking them up, but I also would never really see any around to know, as they don't have much of a presence in AU that I have seen.

https://scumcoandsons.com/

Pics of some of the boards in the online store show a bigger single number on top between front bolts which is Control wood, so they might have just kept going only with Control for this lot.  This one:

https://scumcoandsons.com/products/brian-downey-sound-bwoy

Spiral paint was a feature of Pennswood boards a while back, but I guess that is something that someone else could copy, or even do on different boards in the same location.

I hadn't asked them via Instagram or anything, so that might be a good option.  Seem to recall someone had talked to them before and they were good with info.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832

Nick was just getting wood wherever he could for a while but he hasn't used BBS for a couple runs now. There's still leftover easy riders and KT Simpsons boards out there if you want one but almost everything lately has been control and I think he's still running the logos at least through pennswood as well. If you see an older one you like and can't tell what it is from the pics just @ me again and I'll tell you, but anything that's showed up in a shop in the 6 months or so and isn't a logo deck is probably control.

As to the why - PS stix fucked him around pretty bad during the pandemic shortage and I don't know if he snuck his graphics into someone else's order or just got a small order in but the BBS run wasn't a lot of boards. I think it was only like 3-4 graphics and kind of a test run. If I had to guess he's just more comfortable dealing with the guys he knows and can pick up the phone and explain his crazy ideas to. Control has apparently been super reliable over the years and pennswood is pretty local to us and has been pressing his boards for years but is notoriously unreliable so a combination of the two is the best way to keep wood on shelves. This was all before BBS started taking new accounts and had enough spare to set up a site to sell blanks d2c, so maybe he'll go back to them for the next one. I haven't talked to him for a long time and I get to radio far less than Id like to but next time I see him I'll ask what's up.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
@Sativa Lung @Mbrimson88 thanks gents, you two are great!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Ok

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Nick was just getting wood wherever he could for a while but he hasn't used BBS for a couple runs now. There's still leftover easy riders and KT Simpsons boards out there if you want one but almost everything lately has been control and I think he's still running the logos at least through pennswood as well. If you see an older one you like and can't tell what it is from the pics just @ me again and I'll tell you, but anything that's showed up in a shop in the 6 months or so and isn't a logo deck is probably control.

As to the why - PS stix fucked him around pretty bad during the pandemic shortage and I don't know if he snuck his graphics into someone else's order or just got a small order in but the BBS run wasn't a lot of boards. I think it was only like 3-4 graphics and kind of a test run. If I had to guess he's just more comfortable dealing with the guys he knows and can pick up the phone and explain his crazy ideas to. Control has apparently been super reliable over the years and pennswood is pretty local to us and has been pressing his boards for years but is notoriously unreliable so a combination of the two is the best way to keep wood on shelves. This was all before BBS started taking new accounts and had enough spare to set up a site to sell blanks d2c, so maybe he'll go back to them for the next one. I haven't talked to him for a long time and I get to radio far less than Id like to but next time I see him I'll ask what's up.

i like control. there, i said it. mellow boards. @global moderator made some boards with them and they were sick.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
the only reason i am not a big fan of those flat control boards is cause i like to skate my boards til they are really beat up and i find the kicks flatten out like crazy over time so i prefer them to start as steep as possible. the construction on them is very good imo i used to skate them a lot when i was stair jumping and got a lot of life out of them tossing them this way and that into the floor. i skate a lot different now so the change in board makes sense.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
the only reason i am not a big fan of those flat control boards is cause i like to skate my boards til they are really beat up and i find the kicks flatten out like crazy over time so i prefer them to start as steep as possible. the construction on them is very good imo i used to skate them a lot when i was stair jumping and got a lot of life out of them tossing them this way and that into the floor. i skate a lot different now so the change in board makes sense.

i couldn’t break one, but the pop
didn’t last forever either. i just liked them cuz flat.

who is using control? i like flat, short lived boards

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
Expand Quote
[close]

i couldn’t break one, but the pop
didn’t last forever either. i just liked them cuz flat.

who is using control? i like flat, short lived boards

Scum Co.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Just updated the listing to show Scum Co using Control for 2023.

Thanks for the info too!

:)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

TOPX 8.0”
[close]

Would gnar. Who presses TOPX boards? How's the shape?
[close]

I believe they use Generator now.  Shape looks good - nose/tail aren’t too square and certainly aren’t pointy. Pretty medium concave I’d say.  Looks like a 14.25ish wheelbase.

Nice top board pic.

Adding here and updated the list.

Thanks!