Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172841 times)

WelcomeToHell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 258
Expand Quote
Toy Machine boards on Watson wood. Boy they’re all over the place! Still mostly seems like PS for pro models, though.

[close]

Toy Machine 101…..good graphics=bad wood……if they just ran the classics in PS or BBS….would be a poor man’s Eagle…

Oh I was under the impression that Watson was good wood. I know that generally a lot of the TM team boards are from Chinese wood shops, though.

WelcomeToHell

Sea Rat is still pressing/shaping/screening his own boards, but he now also has a “shop board” made on PS wood. Not bad at $50, either.

Not sure if that rates for this thread, but love Dom’s work so take any opportunity to shout him out.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1VcZd9PFqe/?igsh=aHAyZGxncGZuejMw

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1UNHpFLliN/?igsh=MTloNWhlOWtnNmQxdQ

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Toy Machine boards on Watson wood. Boy they’re all over the place! Still mostly seems like PS for pro models, though.

[close]

Toy Machine 101…..good graphics=bad wood……if they just ran the classics in PS or BBS….would be a poor man’s Eagle…
[close]

Oh I was under the impression that Watson was good wood. I know that generally a lot of the TM team boards are from Chinese wood shops, though.

I just hadn’t been a fan of Watson for years….too flat and dead…I think I had a cruiser board of sorts in the last decade and was not impressed…

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Expand Quote

[close]

Just picked up the inverse of this. Green stain, yellow graphic.

Has the USA barcode sticker, but not the Watson laser

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
@WelcomeToHell did you find the rails on your TM to be more angular and not perfectly rounded?

WelcomeToHell

@WelcomeToHell did you find the rails on your TM to be more angular and not perfectly rounded?

I didn’t buy that one, so not sure. I feel like the South Central boards I’ve ridden like 5boro have that more squared off edge. Not quite as square as the Heroin razor edge, though.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn’t buy that one, so not sure. I feel like the South Central boards I’ve ridden like 5boro have that more squared off edge. Not quite as square as the Heroin razor edge, though.

Hmm, there’s no Watson laser so I wonder if this a a sc deck? My board is also flat in the middle

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Sea Rat is still pressing/shaping/screening his own boards, but he now also has a “shop board” made on PS wood. Not bad at $50, either.

Not sure if that rates for this thread, but love Dom’s work so take any opportunity to shout him out.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1VcZd9PFqe/?igsh=aHAyZGxncGZuejMw

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1UNHpFLliN/?igsh=MTloNWhlOWtnNmQxdQ

Yes, all worth posting.

I would think for small singular (just one guy) type of setups, they would either have to be putting in a lot of work, or charging a lot more to really make it worthwhile, but adding on a fairly generic product can definitely help with the bottom line as well.

That way he can still make the very special / one off type of boards that he can charge more for, as well as have more regular options at cheaper prices too.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
Maybe not the best place to ask and I probably already asked the same question in the past but does anyone know of any brands that make more squared tail shapes? I really like the Quasi 8.25 14wb bbs board they make and I’ve had a few of those. The square tail with the shorter wheel base just works great for me. (Just wish they made the same shape but as a 8.38) The quasi 8.25 and 8.5 ps stix shapes I know have a pretty square tail as well.

Anyone know of some other brands besides Quasi that put out shapes with a more square tail and are preferably BBS wood? I know shape 1 FA has a square tail but they are usually too steep for my liking.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Maybe not the best place to ask and I probably already asked the same question in the past but does anyone know of any brands that make more squared tail shapes? I really like the Quasi 8.25 14wb bbs board they make and I’ve had a few of those. The square tail with the shorter wheel base just works great for me. (Just wish they made the same shape but as a 8.38) The quasi 8.25 and 8.5 ps stix shapes I know have a pretty square tail as well.

Anyone know of some other brands besides Quasi that put out shapes with a more square tail and are preferably BBS wood? I know shape 1 FA has a square tail but they are usually too steep for my liking.

WKND "8.5th" shape
Snack
Glue - PsStix https://glueskateboards.com/collections/now/products/lock-and-key-8-5
strangelove
certain workshop/habitat boards

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
Expand Quote

[close]

WKND "8.5th" shape
Snack
Glue - PsStix https://glueskateboards.com/collections/now/products/lock-and-key-8-5
strangelove
You could also add Metal boards to this. Any of those three that are the 'Sect Shape' are fairly square BBS boards.

Get hungry on it!

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
Expand Quote

[close]

WKND "8.5th" shape
Snack
strangelove

I’m guessing the square tail is more common on 8.5 and usually ps stix. 8.5 is bigger than I like to go. I guess I may have to stick with the Quasi shape I like or go back to flattening out FA decks if I want square tailed bbs boards that aren’t 8.5.

Banned from the room

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

WKND "8.5th" shape
Snack
strangelove
[close]

I’m guessing the square tail is more common on 8.5 and usually ps stix. 8.5 is bigger than I like to go. I guess I may have to stick with the Quasi shape I like or go back to flattening out FA decks if I want square tailed bbs boards that aren’t 8.5.

You gotta look at the shape lettering.

Ps makes 3 different ones

A,b,c. I'm 99 that A is square ish which is my shit now I guess.
Ps A shape is my absolute favorite board in 2023. FA looks like this.

B shape is like the glue forest I had one in 8.75 so fuckin fun.

C I think is the same as b but with a different WB

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

WKND "8.5th" shape
Snack
strangelove
[close]

I had thought that all the Alien Workshop / Habitat / Metal boards had the wider squared off shapes right through the shape range, also all with shorter wheelbases too.

8.25" x 32.25" WB 14.25"

At least the shorter overall type boards, FA / Hockey are always around and if you are used to parking on them to flatten them out, then you have a fairly easy go to, just like I do with most other "normal concave" BBS boards with steeper kicks than I would like.

Sorry for maybe not being more helpful, but I am still not quite back to normal here, after recent weather events.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Updated the first post to show 2024, but if anyone has any other info re board changes or other curious things, questions or whatever, feel free to post in here.

Thanks again to everyone for helping make this thread possible.  I just put all the replies and answers in one place.

WelcomeToHell

Updated the first post to show 2024, but if anyone has any other info re board changes or other curious things, questions or whatever, feel free to post in here.

Thanks again to everyone for helping make this thread possible.  I just put all the replies and answers in one place.

Thank you for shepherding all this important information!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Scumco and Sons website showing only PS Stix and Pennswood decks right now.

Might have to check and change the listing now for 2024.

https://scumcoandsons.com/collections/shop/products/josh-narvaez-no-dollar

Pennswood Acres wood.

https://scumcoandsons.com/collections/shop/products/kevin-taylor

PS Stix wood.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've seen Scumco mentioned in here.  I'm thinking about trying them out next.  Anyone know the wheelbase and length on the 8.125 and 8.0?
[close]

It depends which woodshop, as they had changed a bit.

Last info had them on Control (2023), with some on BBS and PS Stix, but that was a while back now.

I would likely want to check a board in person more so than buying without looking at it, unless you will most likely be happy any which way.
[close]

Yeah, I was specifically checking out the PS ones they have on their site.  Curious about the shapes and dimensions.

From about 8 weeks ago now:

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
How are the skate deluxe decks? Thinking of getting one but I think I had one a while back and remember the nose/tail being kind of pointy instead of fat, if that makes sense?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
How are the skate deluxe decks? Thinking of getting one but I think I had one a while back and remember the nose/tail being kind of pointy instead of fat, if that makes sense?

I don't know who supplies wood - somewhere in China, but they have very good details and pics on their site, so I guess it is worth checking those listings to see the boards.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/skatedeluxe-shop

From a quick look, their popsicles seem fairly normal, middle of the road in terms of shapes, if that helps.  So not quite Baker pointy, but definitely nowhere near FA / Hockey or even Quasi blunt or squared off at all.

I think others have said their wood is decent quality too, definitely not cheap or bad, compared to any others.

This was the first listing that came up, 8.25 being the most common size too - realised it as a twin shape, but the others are all there to check and they all seem much the same shape wise.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/skatedeluxe-spider-twin-tail-8-25-skateboard-deck-black_p165635?view=manu&brand_id=429

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Not sure where it fits in (team?) but the Toy Machine Twin/symmetrical deck (non-pro) is PSTix/Made in Mexico

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know who supplies wood - somewhere in China, but they have very good details and pics on their site, so I guess it is worth checking those listings to see the boards.

From a quick look, their popsicles seem fairly normal, middle of the road in terms of shapes, if that helps.  So not quite Baker pointy, but definitely nowhere near FA / Hockey or even Quasi blunt or squared off at all.

I think others have said their wood is decent quality too, definitely not cheap or bad, compared to any others.

This was the first listing that came up, 8.25 being the most common size too - realised it as a twin shape, but the others are all there to check and they all seem much the same shape wise.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/skatedeluxe-spider-twin-tail-8-25-skateboard-deck-black_p165635?view=manu&brand_id=429

Site says "made in Spain" so I guess is safe to say HLC
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Site says "made in Spain" so I guess is safe to say HLC

Thanks - I hadn't looked that far into it, but thought they were going through somewhere like Quarter Dist for their boards.

HLC it would be then.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Not sure where it fits in (team?) but the Toy Machine Twin/symmetrical deck (non-pro) is PSTix/Made in Mexico

That's interesting because I thought PS Stix didn't make twin boards.

The professor had said a skateboard is like a multi tool, different at both ends for a reason.

Guessing this had to change at some point, unless it might still be the same mold, just cut to be the same length.

Anyone with more info could set things straight there, I would think.

WelcomeToHell

Expand Quote
[close]

I’d imagine that the good professor saw how many people were talking about twin tails and thought it might not be a bad business decision to offer them. Also, he has said that — his own opinions aside — every skater has to find what works best for them personally.

Maybe those are factors. But who knows?

The professor had said a skateboard is like a multi tool, different at both ends for a reason.

Guessing this had to change at some point, unless it might still be the same mold, just cut to be the same length.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
For you shorter wheelbase folks, just sharing, but Heart Supply makes an 8in 14in WB deck
https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/209-48026.htm

Also, their target complete has a 13.75wb. It makes sense, because they are aimed at kids. I know, nobody wants to ride department store tier wood, but it's fascinating to think that someone's perfect shape may be sitting on a target rack.

https://www.target.com/p/the-heart-supply-31-34-standard-skateboard-mr-schill/-/A-88750913#lnk=sametab

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

I’d imagine that the good professor saw how many people were talking about twin tails and thought it might not be a bad business decision to offer them. Also, he has said that — his own opinions aside — every skater has to find what works best for them personally.

Maybe those are factors. But who knows?

Ha yeah, no doubt the view of twin boards has changed a lot in recent years, from something of a surprise addition or even somewhat of a novelty to now a serious thing to be added to a brands catalog.

I can definitely see their place in skateboarding, so it has grown from a niche market into something a lot more serious.

Trends in shape, length of wheelbase, even size of kicks has changed everything significantly in the past, so in saying that, this is no different.  Woodshops need to adapt and make boards that people want, including change up molds and make twin kick molds, even if they use them for whatever board shapes.

In saying that, I recall a board I had a while back, which seemed like it was cut the other way, eg the board was put in the shape cutting machine backwards, so although it felt nice to have a longer tail, overall it just felt weird any which way and I passed it on to someone else, who couldn't tell the difference.

From skating a few twins, I keep slipping off the nose end, as well as missing the board pick up, which was intriguing to say the least.  To get so completely used to how a board feels and skates and even just that small difference was so weird to get at first.  By the third session or so I was more used to it, but I feel more at home on a standard board.

Others now only skate twins, cause they have everything they need, which I can easily see and understand.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 123
Am I imagining it, or has Watson gone out of business? That Toy Machine deck at the top of the page says otherwise, but I'm sure I heard it, maybe on The Nine Club? And in this post Jim Gray says G&S, who used Watson, are now making their boards in-house.

edit: If it was The Nine Club it woud've been mentioned on the Ben Degros or Willy Santos episodes.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 08:52:58 AM by fernando the skater »

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 842
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image

V7 posted this and I know they do mostly clutch wood.
Last batch of Toy boards I got in had Watson, Ps and Clutch all mixed together.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Am I imagining it, or has Watson gone out of business? That Toy Machine deck at the top of the page says otherwise, but I'm sure I heard it, maybe on The Nine Club? And in this post Jim Gray says G&S, who used Watson, are now making their boards in-house.

edit: If it was The Nine Club it woud've been mentioned on the Ben Degros or Willy Santos episodes.

Watson is said to be done / not making boards anymore, as per info from others a while back in this thread, but I did remember Sam Hitz posting something about it too, which was easier to find and repost.

From October 2023

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
7 posted this and I know they do mostly clutch wood.
Last batch of Toy boards I got in had Watson, Ps and Clutch all mixed together.

That is pretty trippy - three different woodshops doing the same board, or at least maybe more so three different woodshops supplying wood as blanks to a warehouse that puts those graphics on the boards and ships them off to where ever they may go.

I do find it interesting how even some well established brands seem to be scraping by, or maybe seem to be doing their own in house graphics with a heat transfer machine on whatever wood they can get their hands on.

Could be totally wrong as well and they are getting boards printed at the woodshops, but I am thinking it is more the delivery of blanks and they are doing it themselves with how things seem to be going at the moment.

Also I would expect that more for some other countries / continents, with their own distro and licensing agreements, but there in USA I just don't know what to think.

Were they also all mixed sizes in the wood, or was there some specific boards to specific sizes to woodshops, if that makes sense?

* Sorry just "thinking out loud" on the keyboard here right now.