Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172912 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had a Silvas board with that same sticker style/location and it was made in China. One of the best boards ever.
Have the same one in ice, I'll post a pic later.
[close]

Board arrived today. "Made in Mexico"
Nose and tail have concave! Is the China-made board completely flat on the tips? The Silvas I got is 8.25", 14" wb with almost equally long nose and tail. Feels perfect standing on it.
[close]

Stoked for you!

The China made boards I stood on had flat faces on the kicks and didn't have the "spoon concave" the way BBS does, so at least that should be a plus for you there.

I tend to go on about it a whole lot, but that is why I really only ride BBS boards, as they just feel like home for me now.

The other boards hold up fine and others really like them and yes I can even skate them if that was all there is, but I am very much a creature of habit and prefer something that is comfortable, over anything else, with even half the BBS boards I stand on being too steep for me, but I am used to picking and choosing, so never run short on wood.

* That board might be more popular now if he won SOTY as well, but I was going to say, get some more if you know they are what you want, for wood, shape, etc.

So, I did order two more decks from a different shop (UK-based, same as the other shop) and the boards arrived today.

These boards are actually made in China!!!

Some details:
The Mexico-made board is   8.25" width, 14" WB, 6.8" Nose and 6.7" Tail with 31.915" Length.
The China-made boards are 8.25" width, 14" WB, 7" Nose and   6.75" Tail with 31.85" Length.

All boards have the exact same graphic underneath, and seem to be cut using the same outline. The nose is not too square but not as pointy as I would prefer, with the tail having a normal taper. The nose is steeper than the tail. The China-made boards are thinner than the Mexico-made board (I could notice just by taking the boards out of the box).

Despite the positive comments by other posters on here, and despite the overall build quality which is absolutely amazing, I am a bit bummed on the China boards just because I want the nose and tail to be as similar as possible. I fear that these will feel slightly like an FA deck (steep shovel nose + small, pointy tail). To end on a positive note, all boards DO have a spoon-type nose and tail with a little concave and for this reason they DO NOT feel like toys when I step on them. Again, build quality feels perfect on all boards.
Below I added images of the decks and the stickers with the dims and location of manufacture. All other stickers in the packaging are exactly the same and are positioned in the same places, bar the loose Primitive sticker.

Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Thebird

• Rep: 158
Expand Quote
Anyone know which woodshop Ultra corp uses?  They have a 8.06 that caught my eye.
[close]

Never heard of them before.

From looking them up, being around since 2015 or so and seem to have some good shapes, but no other info on wood, besides saying Made in USA, but that could easily be more likely printed in USA and made in Mexico or elsewhere, eg BBS or Clutch or something else, or one of the smaller USA woodshops that don't make a whole lot of boards, but can easily supply a smaller operation like this one.

I would suggest contacting them to ask and then posting here so I can add it to the woodshop thread too, but I already like the fact that they post dimensions and info on the boards in their shop listings too.

https://www.instagram.com/ultracorp_skateboards/

https://ultracorpskateboards.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

About us
Ultra Corp is a skateboarder owned and operated company, with an emphasis on providing our customers with the highest quality in hard and soft goods. All of our decks are made in the U.S. using East Coast Maple wood. Thank you for your interest in Ultra Corp Skateboards and please check back for more video and product updates.

Ultra Corp Skateboards
Located in Los Angeles, Ca
[email protected]

https://ultracorpskateboards.myshopify.com/products/brett-sube-aloha-fish-8-06-x-31-75in

Brett Sube Aloha Fish

8.06” x 31.75”

Wheelbase - 14.1”

Art by: Brett Sube

I emailed them.  I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 67
Brand X bought American Nomad.  It looks like they would be making their decks at ps stix

https://brand-x-toxic.com/collections/american-nomad

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Brand X bought American Nomad.  It looks like they would be making their decks at ps stix

https://brand-x-toxic.com/collections/american-nomad

• Decks designed, pressed, printed, finished and shipped from Southern California, USA

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 67
It says that on all most of their listings, but in the description it says:
Material: 7-ply, Canadian Hardrock Maple (imported from Canada and pressed in Baja, California, Mexico by legendary deck maker, The Professor, Paul Schmitt
High-quality, amazing hand-done screen-printed graphics
Decks designed, hand-painted, finished and shipped from SoCal, USA

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Board company measurements b so off… I was curious and measured my current stash… two Aprils, an 8.38 and an 8.5. Two DLX 8.38s, and an 8.6 SC Dressen I got about 4 years ago.

The 8.38 April is really 8.125 WB and length is slightly shorter than listed. This one is kind of similar to a DLX 8.38. Nose and tail have a similar shape and the kicks and concave are the same.

8.5 is really 8.25 ditto with the WB and length. Ugly ass shape too… wide stubby tail and wide square’ish nose. Gross.

The two DLX 8.38 are really 8.25, 32” exactly and the WB is the only accurate measurement at 14.5”.

The 8.6 Dressen is actually 8.25 lol, WB says 14.623 and is actually 14.5, and the length is 32”… sticker says 32.25

I know this small sample size doesn’t represent every manufacturer, but it seems like you need to buy a size up to get the size you want.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
For the CA bay area skaters, Skate Works uses BBS for their latest run of shop decks per their IG post

$45 too which is pretty affordable given the price of decks nowadays

Thebird

Anyone know if Theories uses more than one woodshop?  My son recently got an 8" Walton deck, and is so mellow in the concave and kicks, almost like an early 2000s Crail.  I liked it so much I ordered an 8.125 Umbrella deck, and the concave and kicks are way steeper.  I'm pretty bummed.  Thinking it may be another shop because his has 4 dyed layers, while mine only has two.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Anyone know which woodshop Ultra corp uses?  They have a 8.06 that caught my eye.

To come back to this post:

Expand Quote

From someone asking about Ultra corp in the woodshop thread, I had to check and found a couple of boards that could go here.  Anyone know what wood they are using or seen them before??

[close]

I ordered the Mike York and was pleasantly surprised it was south central. Not sure about the rest of the boards but I would assume they only used one woodshop.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Anyone know if Theories uses more than one woodshop?  My son recently got an 8" Walton deck, and is so mellow in the concave and kicks, almost like an early 2000s Crail.  I liked it so much I ordered an 8.125 Umbrella deck, and the concave and kicks are way steeper.  I'm pretty bummed.  Thinking it may be another shop because his has 4 dyed layers, while mine only has two.

Theories were using BBS for a while, then Clutch during harder times, then back on BBS but the more recent ones have again been Clutch, so I really wouldn't know now exactly who they are using.

Best thing is checking the top of the board - a letter / number stamped into the front bolts area is Clutch, a single dimple dot is BBS, at least going by basic things.  Often the letter / number combo can be covered by a size sticker, but not for every board.

That is the best bet right now as far as those boards.

As said, Ultra Corp is most likely all on South Central wood.  I have almost no experience with that woodshop, so couldn't tell you anything more, but people on here like it.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Did someone say Alltimers was not on BBS wood anymore?

There was something from them not too long ago, late last year with BBS wood, but they could have changed since then, or at least in different parts of the world, they could be on different wood, vs BBS in USA.

Also this was from four weeks ago, company called The Space Program, boards from Generator (BBS) maybe with a smaller more homie type feel, but I didn't look into it that closely.

https://www.instagram.com/the__space__program/

Thebird

Expand Quote
[close]

Theories were using BBS for a while, then Clutch during harder times, then back on BBS but the more recent ones have again been Clutch, so I really wouldn't know now exactly who they are using.

Best thing is checking the top of the board - a letter / number stamped into the front bolts area is Clutch, a single dimple dot is BBS, at least going by basic things.  Often the letter / number combo can be covered by a size sticker, but not for every board.

As said, Ultra Corp is most likely all on South Central wood.  I have almost no experience with that woodshop, so couldn't tell you anything more, but people on here like it.

Yup, I just pulled the sticker off and it has the dimple.  It's BBS.  I'm so bummed, the other deck is so flat - that is what I thought I was going to get.

On a side note, all of my emails to Ultracorp got kicked back.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yup, I just pulled the sticker off and it has the dimple.  It's BBS.  I'm so bummed, the other deck is so flat - that is what I thought I was going to get.

I guess it is just down to the different molds used by woodshops, so even the same board size could have been made on a flatter mold or on a steeper mold, as well as four boards per press, so some will be steeper and some not as steep in every stack.  This still would not account for two boards being polar opposites though - definitely different woodshops or different molds there I would think.

Some of the lesser companies might just get what they are given in that regard too, but I think usually the bigger ones can choose and have a very specific product, rather than just the old "This graphic goes on whatever wood you got there" type of thing.

Also on the side note of ply stains or different layups, Generator has only a top and bottom random stain, for all their generic boards.  Other companies can make different things, eg everything a certain colour top, or some stained layers here or there through the boards, eg DLX used to have two top and two bottom stains, usually opposite colours side by side so they really stand out.

Woodshop list updated:

Ultra Corp - South Central

The Space Program - BBS (Generator)

American Nomad - PS Stix

DLX - now both BBS and China - marked on the warning sticker where they come from

Antihero / Anti hero
Krooked
Real

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess it is just down to the different molds used by woodshops, so even the same board size could have been made on a flatter mold or on a steeper mold, as well as four boards per press, so some will be steeper and some not as steep in every stack.  This still would not account for two boards being polar opposites though - definitely different woodshops or different molds there I would think.

Some of the lesser companies might just get what they are given in that regard too, but I think usually the bigger ones can choose and have a very specific product, rather than just the old "This graphic goes on whatever wood you got there" type of thing.

Also on the side note of ply stains or different layups, Generator has only a top and bottom random stain, for all their generic boards.  Other companies can make different things, eg everything a certain colour top, or some stained layers here or there through the boards, eg DLX used to have two top and two bottom stains, usually opposite colours side by side so they really stand out.

Woodshop list updated:

American Nomad - PS Stix

DLX - now both BBS and China - marked on the warning sticker where they come from

Antihero / Anti hero
Krooked
Real

Don’t forget There/Unity under DLX.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Last check there was no Unity product and their site / domain link from DLX is not working.

The There brand site has a lot of stock on sale right now as well, so maybe they are not doing as well as hoped.

https://www.thereskateboards.com/

Still good DLX wood, but also guessing the theme and graphics are not as widely known or understood.  Someone the other day asked what was up with There as a company - not a particularly open minded individual to say the least, so I politely answered in broad terms, but I almost feel like old mate was trying to provoke a reply he could argue.  Whatever dude - I am not down to really talk let alone fight for anything when you are going to be like that.

But you are right, There is listed as China wood now too.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
Expand Quote

[close]

Agreed. No use taking the bait in a situation like that!

Thebird

OK, so if Ultracorp is South Central, how are the South Central shapes?  Pretty flat kicks and concave?

Thebird

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Woodshop list updated:

American Nomad - PS Stix

Antihero / Anti hero
Krooked
Real

Also, the 8" Theories definitely has more flex (it's not PS).  Does that soynd like Clutch?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261

Did someone say Alltimers was not on BBS wood anymore?

There was something from them not too long ago, late last year with BBS wood, but they could have changed since then, or at least in different parts of the world, they could be on different wood, vs BBS in USA.

I thought my recent nvs alltimers was bbs and then rode it and it felt soft and flexible and had brighter colored dyed plys which I think is more of a clutch thing. Skated kinda like a clutch but I hardly ride them. People earlier also said since their new drops are still 65$ that may indicate they are clutch

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
OK, so if Ultracorp is South Central, how are the South Central shapes?  Pretty flat kicks and concave?

I can't tell you, other than looking at the same pics as you, so although they look fairly normal / similar to a lot of other boards, I just wouldn't want to comment further, but others on here can...

How does South Central mark their boards?
Just a sticker or…?

South central decks have a very sharp edge on the nose and tail only. Also a small dent on the back bolts is another tell tale.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Just having a look after getting a question about Control boards and saw this post from not too long ago, re new shapes.

Some twins in there - a twin nose, a twin tail, a longer wheelbase board, a shorter board, some others, etc.

Interesting to say the least.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I've been skating this board since June - I would have moved on from it but Chicago winter has me out less, and it's just so perfect. Considering grabbing a few of this generator 8.25 magenta shape since they're on clutch wood at the moment.

Magenta Leo 8.25
Venture 5.6
F4 53mm
Reds
[close]

How can someone spot the difference from BBS to Clutch wood if he has a few Magenta decks laying around?
[close]

To my knowledge they've been generator up till the last drop - Both theories and alltimers have been using Chapman (and thus clutch). Though I did just hear Josh on a podcast today saying he loves generator wood and the theories boards are the same shape as magenta so it's likely temporary. The main difference is the barcode on the packaging, and I think almost all generator magenta boards are the dark brown stain (unsure with the chapman/clutch boards).
[close]

None of the 5 Magenta decks I had/have are with this dark brown stain. I will look at them tomorrow and can post top pics. In the meanwhile, I suggest we ask @Woodshop

Cha ching!!!!!

Ha no but I actually saw this and was going to reply on my normal account, but thought I should use the Woodshop account more for board related things like this anyway.

So between all the various Magenta boards I have had come through my hands, they were all brown stain, like Passport, until the pandemic, at which time they started coming out in various stains, still on BBS, but then a few of the boards didn't feel like BBS concave, so it was a little weird, or maybe from different molds within the BBS facility, but I didn't confirm this with anyone.  They were different dimensions / shapes too, eg usually 8.5 x 32.3 with 14.5 wb, but the other ones were 8.5 x 32 even on a 14.38 wb.

I didn't skate them, but the most recent boards I got were all team editions, but all blue bottom stain and orange top stains, super steep too, on BBS wood, so that is my experience.

That is here in Australia, so it could be different in USA or especially overseas somewhere else like Europe.

As to identification, if they are ungripped, BBS would have a dimple type dot between the front bolts, whereas Clutch would usually have a letter and number stamp into the front bolts area, often covered by a size sticker.  If they are already gripped, then it is harder to tell, but I feel like BBS has way more of a spoon concave to the kicks, whereas most other woodshops don't have quite that much spoon to them, mostly flat faced kicks really, but some have some concave across the kicks as well, similar to but not the same as BBS does.

Hope that helps.

* I should update the list if people say they have Clutch boards.  I know there was a short run around 2021 that was most likely Clutch, but couldn't confirm it.  Copying this to the Woodshop thread too, just to have the info there as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Copying this here as well, South Central top ply with a sharper edge on it than some other woodshops:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The hard edges are usually
On their popsicles and maybe they have done away with them or toned them down.  Almost like the heroin razor edge but not as extreme.
[close]
Yeah, definitely not even close to a Razor Edge situation; straight up regs rounded edge.[\s]
[close]
This was the sharpest one we had in the shop, they used to be almost square.

[close]

I had a 5Boro last year that was South Central and it was noticeably more squared off than a BBS or PS. Wasn't quite a Heroin razor edge like others have said. Wonder when they started rounding them off more.
[close]

Well fuck me, I stand corrected; poor lighting & old glasses…?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
Thanks, this confirms that my last toy machine was SC. It had the same routed edge.

I’m hype I just ordered a few custom boards and they’re using SC. I fucking loved the shape

Mooseknuckle666

• Rep: 2
Anyone know where to get bbs wood 14 inch wheelbase ?

overwaxed

• Rep: 92

DLX true fit, Hockey, Quasi (gilberts board), and lots of 14.125 that feel the same.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 56

April

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Thanks, this confirms that my last toy machine was SC. It had the same routed edge.

I’m hype I just ordered a few custom boards and they’re using SC. I fucking loved the shape

Yeah rad!!!

Copying your post from the egg thread to here as well.

Boardpusher.com is doing eggs, currently for a limited time

Expand Quote
Egg Shape

A symetrical 9.75 inch egg shape, the shape that everyone has been waiting for. Time to jump on an egg and see what you can crack, this shape is ridiculously fun. This limited shape has black stained top and middle plys.
[close]

they usually source wood from control
https://www.boardpusher.com/custom/

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

DLX true fit, Hockey, Quasi (gilberts board), and lots of 14.125 that feel the same.

April

Yes I would think those would be good.

What size / shape or any other info to help too?

There are a lot of smaller boards that are more common with 14" wb but getting something larger is often harder to find.

As said, some brands are more into shorter wb, some longer boards with longer kicks, others more proportionate.

The DLX / Real tru fit, AH short, or similar might be the best bet, as they have 8" through 8.25" up to 8.38 and 8.5 widths in 14 wb that are not overly long and work well for people who want a shorter board, not just something that is big that has been drilled down to a shorter wheelbase.

Hope that helps.