Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 34261 times)

Giza Butler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2022, 01:31:08 AM »
Thanks for all the tips.

So RipRide skate shop sells these mounting screws that are like the ones for rails.

And yeah I got the Sure Grip trucks.

I am just unsure if they are going to hold vs regular skate bolts.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2022, 10:01:50 PM »
so do the heated wheel decks have some flex to them? Is that what the formica layers do? I'm totally ignorant

i made this short video to try to show the flex that they have. 18.5 axle to axle. i weigh like 160 something. you dont feel it as much as it appears in the video.

not sure how to make it a regular youtube video instead of whatever a short is, but it works

https://youtube.com/shorts/RCoM1O6xMqk?

So RipRide skate shop sells these mounting screws that are like the ones for rails.
I am just unsure if they are going to hold vs regular skate bolts.
my understanding is that they hold, but probably get pretty sketchy after a while. i think usually people use those so they can test out a wheelbase before committing to drilling the board

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »
I’ve been running ones rail screws for 4 years on my heated wheel polarizer and about 5 or 6 on my Krooked cut down homemade one. They hold fine.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2022, 06:00:24 AM »
I’ve been running ones rail screws for 4 years on my heated wheel polarizer and about 5 or 6 on my Krooked cut down homemade one. They hold fine.

Cheers thanks a lot, I’ll let you know what happens! Ahhahaha
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2022, 06:47:17 AM »
HUGE PROTIP WHEN GETTING INTO POLARIZERS AND USING SURE GRIP "PEANUT PLATE" TRUCKS:

The threads on the kingpin going into the aluminum baseplate are infamous for cross-threading. Serious business.

So if you fall down the bushing rabbit hole, be very aware that shit could go south pretty fast.

Try not to put too much force when changing things around.

I've had SG peanuts last five bushing switches and had some last one.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2022, 08:40:41 PM »
Just a heads up, you can buy the hangers and baseplates separately.

For those special occasions when you strip one.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2022, 09:07:55 PM »
HUGE PROTIP WHEN GETTING INTO POLARIZERS AND USING SURE GRIP "PEANUT PLATE" TRUCKS:

The threads on the kingpin going into the aluminum baseplate are infamous for cross-threading. Serious business.

So if you fall down the bushing rabbit hole, be very aware that shit could go south pretty fast.

maybe thats why I cant get the kingpin to budge at all on my sure grips.

any tips or is it locked in for good?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:26:35 AM by YungJugg »

George Vallore

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2022, 01:43:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

maybe thats why I cant get the kingpin to budge at all on my sure grips.

any tips or is it locked in for good?

2 things might be happening.

The "action nut" (hexnut UNDER your bushings) might be tightened completely flush with baseplate, which can effectively lock the kingpin. Try loosening the action nut, tightening towards the bushings. Lay the board in front of you trucks up, back truck turn action nut AWAY from you, front truck turn action nut TOWARDS you -to make sure action nut isn't tightened to the baseplate. Then try to turn the kingpin...

If that isn't the culprit, you more than likely have crossthreads. If you're in need of the bushings, try a couple of vice grips and some force, but if it's done it's done.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2022, 07:32:47 AM »
Anyone know when these are being restocked?
Rode one the other day and it was absurdly fun.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

thanksgiving

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
some shops have them in stock. there are 5 or 6 new designs coming this summer.

IpathCats

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2022, 10:27:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
some shops have them in stock. there are 5 or 6 new designs coming this summer.

Any idea when the release is? Someone mentioned mid june a little while ago, and I havent heard anything else. def trying to hop on one of these

George Vallore

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2022, 05:27:09 PM »
well as of this evening, there are two polarizers available via theheatedwheel.

better move fast.

not the new round of designs, just the two black/black polarizer, and the Hewitt black/white back in stock.

IpathCats

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2022, 06:51:28 PM »

better move fast.

not the new round of designs, just the two black/black polarizer, and the Hewitt black/white back in stock.

Woa! Nice. Do you know if the new designs will be new shapes? Or just graphics?

thanksgiving

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2022, 01:08:42 AM »
Expand Quote

better move fast.

[close]

it’s the standard “polarizer” shape. in all white, and then some white ones with a graphic. ship start was supposed to be 6/15...

IpathCats

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2022, 05:40:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

better move fast.

[close]

[close]
it’s the standard “polarizer” shape. in all white, and then some white ones with a graphic. ship start was supposed to be 6/15...

Nice, wasnt sure if there were gonna be totally different options. MY LADY JUST ORDERED ME A STANDARD POLARIZER AND SUREGRIPS FOR MY BIRTHDAY! fucking pumped.

So for wheels im seeing people suggest 54-58mm? 78-88a duro? Bones rough riders are the go to?  I'm most concerned about wheelbite and kingpin bite i guess. what would yall suggest? Man I'm stoked to get on one of these.

edit: basically between the green 56mm rough riders or the white 55mm mini super juice. are the mini superjuice offset like the regular ones? and the rough riders offest?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:53:23 AM by IpathCats »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2022, 07:34:27 AM »
I’m so fucking hyped for this to arrive at my doorstep. Straight up feel like a child anticipating Christmas right now.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

IpathCats

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2022, 08:20:40 AM »
I’m so fucking hyped for this to arrive at my doorstep. Straight up feel like a child anticipating Christmas right now.

You and me both!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2022, 08:40:10 AM »
had to snag one.. excited to see how my copycat measures up to real thing

the hewitt was tempting but I couldn't pick it over the regular Polarizer

IpathCats

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2022, 09:05:02 AM »

I was having a hard time choosing. went with the regular one because its longer and im tall af. the convex top kinda weirds me out, but this is supposed to be a fun/weird board, so i just decided to roll with it.

George Vallore

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2022, 09:48:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was having a hard time choosing. went with the regular one because its longer and im tall af. the convex top kinda weirds me out, but this is supposed to be a fun/weird board, so i just decided to roll with it.

just wait until your foot gets used to the convex top and you go back to concave.

IpathCats

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2022, 10:38:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

just wait until your foot gets used to the convex top and you go back to concave.

My regular board is gonna feel like a damn snowboard. LOCKED TF IN BABY!

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2022, 10:54:18 AM »
Just got two so they're still available

I don't think they announced it on SM or they would have sold out in a minute. Thank you Ed

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2022, 11:13:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

better move fast.

[close]

[close]
[close]

Nice, wasnt sure if there were gonna be totally different options. MY LADY JUST ORDERED ME A STANDARD POLARIZER AND SUREGRIPS FOR MY BIRTHDAY! fucking pumped.

So for wheels im seeing people suggest 54-58mm? 78-88a duro? Bones rough riders are the go to?  I'm most concerned about wheelbite and kingpin bite i guess. what would yall suggest? Man I'm stoked to get on one of these.

edit: basically between the green 56mm rough riders or the white 55mm mini super juice. are the mini superjuice offset like the regular ones? and the rough riders offest?

I've got some of the 55mm, 78a, OJs. They're offset, and work fine. People on here have complained about chunking, but no issues for me.

thanksgiving

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

better move fast.

[close]

[close]
[close]

i have 56 rough riders in my sure grips and have 0 problems with any bite. they are symmetrical unlike mini super juice. i have both but haven’t tried the mini super juice on the polarizer and think i prefer the rough riders. they start to slide just a bit when i really dig into a turn

IpathCats

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

better move fast.

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i have 56 rough riders in my sure grips and have 0 problems with any bite. they are symmetrical unlike mini super juice. i have both but haven’t tried the mini super juice on the polarizer and think i prefer the rough riders. they start to slide just a bit when i really dig into a turn

I went with the 56mm rough riders.

fernando the skater

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2022, 01:43:29 PM »
I've got both the original mini-juice with the sharp edges, and the newer radial edge version. The sharp edge OJs have a lot of grip. Run through slalom cones with no slippage.

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2022, 09:07:48 AM »
Super fucking stoked on this thread.  Looking to buy some PowerDyne Magic cushions but not sure to get with:
Powerdyne plate or reactor plate?  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

George Vallore

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2022, 09:53:04 AM »
Super fucking stoked on this thread.  Looking to buy some PowerDyne Magic cushions but not sure to get with:
Powerdyne plate or reactor plate?  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Magic Cushions are great bushings. 78a red and 82a orange are usually the best bet, but it's of course up to your riding
style. Be aware that at the moment the "hop up kit" is no longer available, which was a cone and barrel bushing. "magic cushions" are TWO BARRELS, which in my opinion is a great ride. I ride two 78a red barrels on ACS 430s, and they're great.

the "standard" right now is fitting two lower bones bushings onto a sure grip peanut truck, and I find them too stiff. Magic cushions have rebound/resistance in the right balance from my experience.

If you're looking for a cone/barrel setup, BONT bushings make some, and I think they're a nice set. I have BONT 78As on my Hewitt on some Sure Grip peanuts, and that shit is rad.

As far as which roller plate....be aware that some of those newer roller plates are a bit pricey for what their ultimate purpose is, which is to be sawed up and stuck on a rat rod of a skateboard. Your money, your choice, live while you can....but a pair of Sure Grip Joggers off of Offerup/ebay or whatever you find at an old thrift store might be just as good. Experiment first, don't buy the high-end until you get a feel for what you want the ride to feel like...

I tell folks to get a pair of Sure Grip peanut trucks and put some magic cushions in them to start off with. they're great "beginner" trucks, easy to find and mount, and will get you accustomed to riding a polarizer. Once you re-adjust, you can start going down any number of rabbit holes involving every else...

fernando the skater

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2022, 10:03:13 AM »
I've also got ACS 430 trucks. Orange Khiro 79a bushings up front. An old Tracker (about 80-83a) bushing on the bottom, and standard orange Independent top bushing on the back. Works well for me at 10.5 stone, 147lbs, 66.6kg,

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2022, 09:24:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

better move fast.

[close]

[close]
[close]

I’m running the OJ mini juice and haven’t had an issue with them. I am running 3 washers on the inside though(w/o you’ll get hanger bite) I’ve apparently gotten wheel bite on my deck but never felt it and definitely nothing that would’ve tossed me. Oh, make sure you run conical bushings top/bottom. I tried some cone/barrel(78a) and even with both trucks floppy loose my regular board turned better. With the conical bottom it was magical. Oh good bearings are a must the QBS isotopes in the OJs fawking roll!