Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 38947 times)

Kook Me Amadeus

Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #540 on: July 18, 2023, 06:51:19 PM »
Who’s manufacturing these Phasecaster wheels? 

Sofa Tones look sick as fuck but I wonder how performance and durability compares to Skate One’s formulas.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: July 20, 2023, 10:46:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Hell yesssss. Got some white bois for the foxed whip.

These arrived yesterday and they’re good. Softer and more flat than the rough riders, they skidded out some for me on deep carves but still really fun, similar but different enough. Overall prefer the rough riders but stoked to have these to make a full heated wheel complete.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

reverbtank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #542 on: July 25, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »
What hardware should I buy for the Fiber Rider? It's predrilled and I've got Heated Wheel trucks. Normal hardware seems too long.

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #543 on: July 25, 2023, 03:25:17 PM »
7/8's is what i would use.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #544 on: July 25, 2023, 04:30:14 PM »
Who’s manufacturing these Phasecaster wheels? 

Sofa Tones look sick as fuck but I wonder how performance and durability compares to Skate One’s formulas.
You'd think with Blenders loyalty to Bones wheels & bearings they'd be Powell wheels.  They made him customs for his G&S surfrider and i'm sure he's pushed the sales of Rough Riders over the years.

reverbtank

« Reply #545 on: July 25, 2023, 04:55:10 PM »

Thanks! I had someone saying 1/2" but I could not find 1/2" hardware.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #546 on: July 25, 2023, 05:04:51 PM »
Just set mine up
Got the heated wheel board, trucks and dragon formula wheels
Really fun whippin this thing around the neighborhood

https://imgur.com/gallery/qSUcvTY

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #547 on: July 25, 2023, 06:52:01 PM »
anyone got a fibre rider? any feedback?

also very grateful for the handful of u keeping the thread alive, i fucking love polarizing

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #548 on: July 25, 2023, 10:11:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

5/8"'s maybe but 1/2" i think would be too short. never seen either of those though anyways. 7/8's will probably look like 1" hardware w/o any risers depending how thin the fiber rider is.

reverbtank

« Reply #549 on: July 28, 2023, 06:53:05 PM »

also very grateful for the handful of u keeping the thread alive, i fucking love polarizing

Yeah I'm on the Fiber Rider with HW trucks and the new wheels from HW. It's sick. If your feet are like 11+ though, you're gonna have very little room and I'd maybe suggest one of the normal Polarizer models with a bit more length/wheel base.

It's flexy. Can pump it to keep up some speed. Turns sharp as hell. These HW wheels are nice, but maybe slightly less grip than Rough Riders even though it's a softer duro I think? I fish tail a little when really turning sharp/fast. This set up goes though. Highly suggest it.

If you get the HW trucks, you can't use a normal skate tool. You'll need HW's tool or a wrench with the open side. The HW trucks don't have much room between the base and nut.

reverbtank

« Reply #550 on: July 28, 2023, 06:56:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

5/8"'s maybe but 1/2" i think would be too short. never seen either of those though anyways. 7/8's will probably look like 1" hardware w/o any risers depending how thin the fiber rider is.

I hit up Heated Wheel and they confirmed 7/8" too. I've been riding without the wheels hitting the end of the bolt or anything, so we good at 7/8" on the fiber rider.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #551 on: July 29, 2023, 12:09:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I'm on the Fiber Rider with HW trucks and the new wheels from HW. It's sick. If your feet are like 11+ though, you're gonna have very little room and I'd maybe suggest one of the normal Polarizer models with a bit more length/wheel base.

It's flexy. Can pump it to keep up some speed. Turns sharp as hell. These HW wheels are nice, but maybe slightly less grip than Rough Riders even though it's a softer duro I think? I fish tail a little when really turning sharp/fast. This set up goes though. Highly suggest it.

If you get the HW trucks, you can't use a normal skate tool. You'll need HW's tool or a wrench with the open side. The HW trucks don't have much room between the base and nut.
turns noticably more than a maple polarizer? just want to know if its a big enough difference to be worth having both.

cheers

boston_bruins

« Reply #552 on: July 29, 2023, 05:17:19 AM »
Just set mine up
Got the heated wheel board, trucks and dragon formula wheels
Really fun whippin this thing around the neighborhood

https://imgur.com/gallery/qSUcvTY

Dude, don’t be kickflipping the polarizer, cmon….

reverbtank

« Reply #553 on: July 29, 2023, 10:23:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
turns noticably more than a maple polarizer? just want to know if its a big enough difference to be worth having both.

cheers

I haven’t ridden the maple/longer wheelbases ones yet. I imagine with the substantially shorter wheel base the turn radius is sharper. It turns fuckin hard.

SorryReallySorryDVD

• Rep: 10
« Reply #554 on: July 30, 2023, 10:16:07 AM »
I’m late to posting, but I set it up almost 3 weeks ago. Cut out from the Chocolate Capps Vacuum (8 x 32) I had before my current board, which happens to be a Heated Wheel.

6.5 x 25.5
14.25 wheelbase, same as orginal (17 axle to axle)
3.5 nose and tail
Ace 00 with Pig 81A bushings, Riptide pivot cups and Bones flat top washers
Mini Logo AWOL 55mm 80A
Bones Big Balls
Girl Longneck 1 inch Phillips
Square of clear grip cut in half

Maiden voyage 7/11/23

I was holding on to the grip square for over a year knowing I’d have the perfect use for it. Making the template took awhile, 4 hours maybe. It turned out just how I wanted. Originally, it was a more rounded nose and tail. I kept going back and forth between wanting to make the rails straight or tapered, but I kept them straight so the board could be as skinny as possible while being flush with the trucks.

This thing is so fast an fun. I’m working at a skate camp now, and it’s hilarious seeing the kids’ reactions to it. One of them is really into it and always asks if he can ride the upside down board. Some of my friends were trying no complies and 360 flips yesterday… c’mon now. And one of my friends said that this is my most illegal concoction yet haha. I’m still breaking it in and need to give each truck half a turn or so. I went on a mellow downhill cruise with some speed bumps on the way home yesterday. Best feeling.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 10:23:40 AM by SorryReallySorryDVD »

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #555 on: July 30, 2023, 10:37:56 AM »
Really, really sick.  The Ace 00’s are incredible. 

What’s the best tool/method for cutting a board out?  Have the perfect spare board on hand and a design in mind but none of the know-how to get it cut (and re-drilled).  I want to put it on HW trucks, need to try those suckers.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #556 on: July 30, 2023, 12:31:44 PM »
After a few more sessions on the phasecasters I kinda think they’re not that good. Regularly slipping out on deep carves that I don’t on Rough Riders.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #557 on: July 30, 2023, 01:07:42 PM »
Could Ed Dominick be sourcing the wheels from the same place as Pig?

SorryReallySorryDVD

• Rep: 10
« Reply #558 on: July 30, 2023, 01:33:07 PM »
Really, really sick.  The Ace 00’s are incredible. 

What’s the best tool/method for cutting a board out?  Have the perfect spare board on hand and a design in mind but none of the know-how to get it cut (and re-drilled).  I want to put it on HW trucks, need to try those suckers.

Thanks! I used a jigsaw and an orbital sander. You’ll want to cut just outside of the template line then sand it down to the line. The sanding will be much easier if you have access to a belt sander. As for sanding down the rails to round them off, I just did it by feel and tried to keep a rhythm with the orbital sander. They could be rounder and more even, but my hand started to hurt and I was getting impatient.

And be sure to be extra exact with your template measurements. It took awhile for me but paid off in the end. Tracing both the truck holes and baseplate directly onto the template helps a lot instead of just using the truck holes as a guide.

For drilling holes, make sure everything matches your template. Trace the baseplate and holes onto your board in pencil to make sure they’re aligned right. Most people seem to trace the holes and drill without any issues. I worry that my holes will be slightly off, so I use my trucks as guides.

The way I’ve drilled holes only works when the hanger isn’t blocking the holes, so I’m not sure if this will work with Heated Wheel trucks. I start with one hole then attach a truck using that first hole to set the truck in place. Then I make sure the truck is straight using a the rails and a straight edge (again, tracing the baseplates and truck holes helps so much) and drill the hole diagonal from the first one. I drill directly through the truck hole and deck. Now put the hardware through the second hole, and your truck will be secure. Finish the other 2 holes and you should be good. If you’re worried about drilling into the baseplate, use a slightly smaller drill bit.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #559 on: July 30, 2023, 01:48:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing all that, super helpful.  I appreciate it!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #560 on: July 30, 2023, 06:50:03 PM »
I cut my first polarizer just free hand from a shaped board and ended up making it too narrow. Sketched out a template and transferred it to an old deck and that one turned out much better but the shape of the OG polarizer is so dope. I have a track n field that gets more attention because I put my HW trucks on it but the convex polarizer with HW trucks swiss six and rough riders really can’t be beat. I’m super curious about the fiberglass model but holding out for something bigger if it comes.

Fallingdownward

• Rep: 1
« Reply #561 on: August 01, 2023, 03:27:54 PM »
Regarding the new soft Phasecaster wheels , I too thought they were noticeably slower than the Bones Rough Riders and even slid out a couple times on some sharper turns. Just one more opinion on them. They do look good and aren’t bad but next to the ATF Rough Riders the differences are noticeable. Maybe they’ll tweak the formula in time.

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #562 on: August 03, 2023, 04:01:00 PM »
Can I use nfg wheels for a polarizer?
I did your mom

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: August 04, 2023, 12:14:57 AM »
After a few more sessions on the phasecasters I kinda think they’re not that good. Regularly slipping out on deep carves that I don’t on Rough Riders.
that's a bummer, as Neils so drilled in on what's good too.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 95
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #564 on: August 04, 2023, 09:25:14 AM »
Ordered a bank mauler and ace trucks. Going to set it up with OJ wheels and Swiss bearings.
Cocteau Twins

Heshrat

« Reply #565 on: August 18, 2023, 02:29:19 PM »
I ripped around on my polarizer today for a cuppa miles of sidewalk with a side of some downhill, it’s mad fun. I put big hard wheels on mine so they can powerslide. I was expecting it feeling like relearning how to skate but I got comfortable on it surprisingly quickly
I did your mom

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2023, 12:41:57 PM »
Bank Mauling is the best.  Starting to get the hang of this thing.  Found some mellow street/architectural banks around town and the feeling of surfing em is pretty phenomenal.  Can’t recommend it enough.

Heshrat

« Reply #567 on: August 20, 2023, 11:19:04 PM »
Bank Mauling is the best.  Starting to get the hang of this thing.  Found some mellow street/architectural banks around town and the feeling of surfing em is pretty phenomenal.  Can’t recommend it enough.
Aren’t they so much fun, I’m stoked I got one now cuz it’s been what I been bringing with me every time I pass my front door lol
I did your mom

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2023, 12:05:08 AM »
cant justify getting one but have wanted a Mauler for so dang long

exista

• Rep: 2
« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2023, 10:39:44 PM »
Fell down the rabbit hole which led me here. And so it begins 😃.