Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90879 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #780 on: December 10, 2022, 04:18:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The once or twice when I put two washers on the inside of the truck, the Nylock nut did not seem to be engaging and I immediately switched back.
[close]

Yeah, I am kind of waiting for a wheel to fall off. :)
[close]

Did you try putting the nut with the nylock facing inside the hanger?

When I was still a grom, I did that. Guy at the skateshop was pissed when he saw that and to this day I don't know why. I never put on a nut with the nylock facing inside again. And that was 20 years ago ^^

Can someone please enlighten me, why we shouldn't do that? I imagine it might not be good for the hanger, but I honestly have no idea.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #781 on: December 10, 2022, 07:35:56 PM »
You're crossthreading the axle if you do that. Threads are directional. You got it on once but might never again.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #782 on: December 10, 2022, 08:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The once or twice when I put two washers on the inside of the truck, the Nylock nut did not seem to be engaging and I immediately switched back.
[close]

Yeah, I am kind of waiting for a wheel to fall off. :)
[close]

Did you try putting the nut with the nylock facing inside the hanger?
[close]

When I was still a grom, I did that. Guy at the skateshop was pissed when he saw that and to this day I don't know why. I never put on a nut with the nylock facing inside again. And that was 20 years ago ^^

Can someone please enlighten me, why we shouldn't do that? I imagine it might not be good for the hanger, but I honestly have no idea.

Roller skaters have to do that as most skateboard wheels they use have a "normal" width, but their older roller skate wheels (and axles) were more narrow on some brands, so if they didn't remove all washers and put the nut on backwards, they just didn't work and couldn't get the nut to stay on the axle.

I also had to do that on some trucks that had been so damaged or worn down that the nut didn't fit comfortably on the axle without coming loose, but generally I think there is no reason it can't work, besides it looking crazy compared to normal axle nuts.

The nut still works fine when I put it back on the right way and the axle doesn't take any more damage to it from having the nuts on the other way, but from an OCD perspective, it sure does give me the creeps looking at a board like that.

Here is one I did just to see how many washers I could fit on the axle - six all up which pushed it out to 146 (from 144s) but still shy of 149s when compared the two.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #783 on: December 11, 2022, 07:07:03 AM »
You're crossthreading the axle if you do that. Threads are directional. You got it on once but might never again.

There are many good reasons not to flip the nut but it's not directional. Left hand and right hand threads are cut opposite, nuts are either/or and flipping it doesn't change the thread direction. You can definitely crossthread the nut easier going in nylock first since it's harder to get it started flat.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

manysnakes

« Reply #784 on: December 11, 2022, 07:08:56 AM »

Lol that’s not how direction works.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #785 on: December 11, 2022, 07:55:09 AM »
Ready to be wrong but instead of a snide remark just explain how it is. I just took my board, removed the axle nut, tried threading a standard nut on "upside down" and it doesn't engage at all let alone thread.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #786 on: December 11, 2022, 03:48:50 PM »
Ready to be wrong but instead of a snide remark just explain how it is. I just took my board, removed the axle nut, tried threading a standard nut on "upside down" and it doesn't engage at all let alone thread.

It sure is a weird one for me as well - never wanting to do that unless it was the absolute last resort for a long time.

The nyloc actually works against getting the nut on upside down but once you push down hard enough it will get on there and work like it is supposed to, as well as being able to take it off and reuse it the normal way again too.

At first I didn't want to try or even contemplate doing it, but the roller skates I had to fix for people in one shop I worked in helped me understand how it worked.

Initially I would never have wanted to do that, as others have hammered the nut on with a rock or done other really dumb things just to keep a wheel on a skateboard in times of need, with no shop, spare parts or other things available to kids at skateparks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 472
« Reply #787 on: December 25, 2022, 08:05:19 AM »
I was able to break in new Thunders in January of this year but somehow this winter is a whole nother level. I keep my board in the house and within minutes skating flat ground my bushings froze solid. Not just hard to turn but like truly solid. I mean it was 19 degrees out. Hoped on the cruiser that has Indys with stock bushings that I keep in the garage and no problem turning at all. I love my Thunder but I’m so close to setting up my Indys for the winter. Madness is in full effect! Any advice is appreciated. Hope you’re all having a great holiday!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #788 on: December 25, 2022, 08:20:54 AM »
I was able to break in new Thunders in January of this year but somehow this winter is a whole nother level. I keep my board in the house and within minutes skating flat ground my bushings froze solid. Not just hard to turn but like truly solid. I mean it was 19 degrees out. Hoped on the cruiser that has Indys with stock bushings that I keep in the garage and no problem turning at all. I love my Thunder but I’m so close to setting up my Indys for the winter. Madness is in full effect! Any advice is appreciated. Hope you’re all having a great holiday!

Just switch the indy bushings over to the thunders? For me the indy bushings always froze just a tiny bit less then thunders.

Or buy these non-freezing bushings:
Ace
Royal
Mini logo
Bones

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 472
« Reply #789 on: December 25, 2022, 08:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just switch the indy bushings over to the thunders? For me the indy bushings always froze just a tiny bit less then thunders.

Ace
Royal
Mini logo
Bones

I’ve seen a bunch of people with Bones on Thunder so I may give that a go. Aaron Herrington runs them that way and he’s a New York skater so in terms of cold weather that might be the move.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #790 on: December 25, 2022, 10:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace
Royal
Mini logo
Bones
[close]

I’ve seen a bunch of people with Bones on Thunder so I may give that a go. Aaron Herrington runs them that way and he’s a New York skater so in terms of cold weather that might be the move.

The problem with bones in thunders is that the top bushing is taller, so there's basically not enough space to fully get the nut on unless you don't use a top washer

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #791 on: December 25, 2022, 10:55:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace
Royal
Mini logo
Bones
[close]

[close]

The problem with bones in thunders is that the top bushing is taller, so there's basically not enough space to fully get the nut on unless you don't use a top washer

to be fair, some people view this as an advantage and not a problem

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #792 on: January 08, 2023, 10:33:39 AM »
My local park is kind of rough and always filled with pebbles during winter time, city doesn't do anything about it and I'm sick of riding small hard wheels there. Thinking about finally giving in to the dragons / x formula hype. I would get them in 52mm and I'd prefer x formula, but the riding surface is tiny. So will it actually make a big difference going from 51 mm 101a to 52 mm 97a or are the softer dragons the better choice for a small wheel?

52 mm X formula: 97a, 30 mm wide, 14.5 mm riding surface
52 mm dragons:    93a, 31 mm wide, 14.5 mm riding surface

I want to be able to do crooked grinds on angle iron ledges, which might suck with dragons.
These wheels are super expensive and I'm afraid of regretting it.

tldr: I want the slide of x formula but I'm not sure if they will be smooth enough in 52 mm

LebowskisRug

« Reply #793 on: January 08, 2023, 01:10:33 PM »
I'd go with the 54 X formula and while they might be big at first they're softer and seem to wear faster. After a month they'll be 53 and wider and fairly soon a 52

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #794 on: January 08, 2023, 06:18:41 PM »
I'd go with the 54 X formula and while they might be big at first they're softer and seem to wear faster. After a month they'll be 53 and wider and fairly soon a 52

Same, 54mm gets my vote, they are the right size when worn down slightly. Skated some street spots on 52mm 101a F4 and while I felt like a bad ass pushing like a maniac, I had zero speed when it came time to popping my board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: January 09, 2023, 05:22:07 AM »
Thanks guys, now I don't want to buy them anymore because I'd only want 52mm max.
Perfect support

Edit: No actually I lied, now I want the 52 dragons. Rewatching Ben Degros review for the 100th time

Edit #2: Are dragons/X actually much better in the fight against pebbles or do they get stuck the same way?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 06:02:10 AM by goodatmeth »

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #796 on: January 09, 2023, 09:53:09 AM »
I have the 52s.  They seem to repel pebbles and dust.  They are unique in that they feel soft when riding but don’t have the same characteristics of a soft wheel, such as picking up a small pebble.  They do give your board a soft pop feeling.  But all tricks still work.  Like others mention they do have a drag on rails and ledges.  Tricks tha t have an even slide like a nose or tail slide work find, but if you big on crooked grinds , or feebles on rails definitely pass. 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: January 09, 2023, 11:15:04 AM »
Thanks, I'm gonna get them. It's sucky pinched grinds VS sucky everything because of the damn ground

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #798 on: January 09, 2023, 11:25:33 AM »
Anyone else got 'Perfect Set-Up Syndrom' that makes you not to want to disassemble a set-up once the deck has reached the end of its natural tenure b/c after all the set-up was just, eh, a perfect combination of parts? 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #799 on: January 09, 2023, 11:36:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace
Royal
Mini logo
Bones
[close]

[close]

The Bones in my Thunder with no washer on the bottom and the flat top work just fine. I also used the stock top washer as a bottom no issue either.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #800 on: January 09, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »
Anyone else got 'Perfect Set-Up Syndrom' that makes you not to want to disassemble a set-up once the deck has reached the end of its natural tenure b/c after all the set-up was just, eh, a perfect combination of parts?

Yes. I have one such setup stashed away. It’s still skateable but I’ll never get back to it as the deck and grip are so worn. Loved it more than any other setup. Dunno if I’ll ever tear it down. I’ve got so much gear that I don’t have to but wasting it by just letting it sit is silly.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #801 on: January 09, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace
Royal
Mini logo
Bones
[close]

[close]

[close]

The Bones in my Thunder with no washer on the bottom and the flat top work just fine. I also used the stock top washer as a bottom no issue either.

Sure but that way the bottom is the wrong height

LebowskisRug

« Reply #802 on: January 09, 2023, 12:45:31 PM »
It is the correct height if you use the Thunder stock washer, which is mad big compared to the base of the Bones bushing so most people remove it. I just used the top, which is smaller, as the bottom. It ended up being irrelevant as the creaking of the bushings was too annoying to deal with.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #803 on: January 11, 2023, 06:36:50 AM »
Really love how Aces turn, but I think I’m too heavy for them. Indys are easier for me to control. Might go back to Ace once I lose some weight.

I regret buying so many setups. Now I always feel like I need to give them another try, and it usually leads to a wasted session.

My main setup is an 8.5 Toy Machine, 159 Indys, spitfire 53 mm wheels. And I was trying to ride an 8.38 Hockey deck with Ace 44s and OJ Plain Jane wheels 😂

Yeah I could still do the same things, but the little things start to add up and get inside my head.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: January 11, 2023, 10:31:10 AM »
Really love how Aces turn, but I think I’m too heavy for them. Indys are easier for me to control. Might go back to Ace once I lose some weight.

I regret buying so many setups. Now I always feel like I need to give them another try, and it usually leads to a wasted session.

My main setup is an 8.5 Toy Machine, 159 Indys, spitfire 53 mm wheels. And I was trying to ride an 8.38 Hockey deck with Ace 44s and OJ Plain Jane wheels 😂

Yeah I could still do the same things, but the little things start to add up and get inside my head.

Some people really like the Ace hard bushings. Have you tried those? I’m running stock ones as loose as possible and it’s probably making things more difficult for me but I just love the turn so much that I don’t really care.  :)

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #805 on: January 11, 2023, 10:43:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Some people really like the Ace hard bushings. Have you tried those? I’m running stock ones as loose as possible and it’s probably making things more difficult for me but I just love the turn so much that I don’t really care.  :)
No, I have Krux bushings in them lol. I took the stock ones out cause they get stuck and my trucks would lean one way 😂

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #806 on: January 11, 2023, 11:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
No, I have Krux bushings in them lol. I took the stock ones out cause they get stuck and my trucks would lean one way 😂

The washers in the Ace Classics at least used to be shit. They’re too small. The bushings bulge over them and they don’t turn worth shit with them. I changed mine out for some normal washers always. Not sure if they’ve fixed that after the introduction of the AF1s. On AF1s the washers actually fit the bushings and work with the trucks.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #807 on: January 11, 2023, 11:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

The washers in the Ace Classics at least used to be shit. They’re too small. The bushings bulge over them and they don’t turn worth shit with them. I changed mine out for some normal washers always. Not sure if they’ve fixed that after the introduction of the AF1s. On AF1s the washers actually fit the bushings and work with the trucks.
I’ll swap them out. I have the classics, got them from a skate shop here and I wouldn’t be surprised if they we’re sitting on their shelves for years (I’m in a small town and they never get business).

lildonut92

• Rep: 12
« Reply #808 on: January 23, 2023, 01:33:20 PM »
I have the shoe madness more than any other kind of madness. If my feet are uncomfortable or get sore fast it makes everything suck. I wish dunks were easier to get. Seems like the perfect shoe for me.

Vulcs skate the best for me but my feet get so sore. I guess I need support more than I need heavy cushioning. Has anyone put Superfeet in a vulc and had favorable results?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 104
« Reply #809 on: January 23, 2023, 01:42:55 PM »
I have the shoe madness more than any other kind of madness. If my feet are uncomfortable or get sore fast it makes everything suck. I wish dunks were easier to get. Seems like the perfect shoe for me.

Vulcs skate the best for me but my feet get so sore. I guess I need support more than I need heavy cushioning. Has anyone put Superfeet in a vulc and had favorable results?

Not super feet but I use the thickest king foam insoles that footprint offers.  They are completely flat and 7mm thick but they get softer and feel thinner after they warm up.  I wear those with vulcs and at least for me it’s the perfect combo of board feel and cushioning.  Cheap emericas are what I usually get