Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90772 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1260 on: May 30, 2023, 09:13:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I wouldn't over-think wheel shape.
[close]

You do realize this is the madness thread, right? This where people come to over-think everything.

I'm trying to help, man... :-X

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1261 on: May 30, 2023, 09:14:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

You do realize this is the madness thread, right? This where people come to over-think everything.

[close]

I'm trying to help, man... :-X

Fair. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #1262 on: May 30, 2023, 03:24:33 PM »

Oh I totally would. Here we go. Looking at it like that, how the wheel actually comes into contact with coping (assuming about 2" coping here), the V5 would be the worst and just slip over the coping, and even lock ins seem like they'd lock in kinda worse than a V3. Am I thinking about this totally wrong here? I'm totally a V3 lover, currently riding them in 99a and wish they'd make the x formula in this shape. It's just perfect everywhere except rough ground.

So now I'm thinking about going with 97a in V1 instead of V5, even though my actual experience tells me V5s lock in perfectly fine!

Edit: better picture, grey would be the truck hanger. Now the V5-lock looks much better than above
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 04:30:05 PM by goodatmeth »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1263 on: May 30, 2023, 07:11:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh I totally would. Here we go. Looking at it like that, how the wheel actually comes into contact with coping (assuming about 2" coping here), the V5 would be the worst and just slip over the coping, and even lock ins seem like they'd lock in kinda worse than a V3. Am I thinking about this totally wrong here? I'm totally a V3 lover, currently riding them in 99a and wish they'd make the x formula in this shape. It's just perfect everywhere except rough ground.

So now I'm thinking about going with 97a in V1 instead of V5, even though my actual experience tells me V5s lock in perfectly fine!

Edit: better picture, grey would be the truck hanger. Now the V5-lock looks much better than above

We're peering through the other end of the telescope my friend
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1264 on: June 02, 2023, 11:02:12 PM »

Re wheel shape, same as others have said, but it was an interesting experience the other day.

At this one park, the bowl more often than not has quite slippery (waxy) coping, and I just didn't feel like grinds were balanced, more often than not ending up in the back seat and letting them go / jumping off, especially compared to some other places that are not waxy and actually grind, not truck slide.

Anyway, that was all on my usual Classic shape which are great everywhere else and grind for days on normal coping.  Then I tried another almost identical setup I had in the car, but that board had Conical Full wheels on it that I had not changed / altered at all, so what do you know, I actually stayed on and it was like I had brake pads on my wheels, when compared to the Classics on the same coping.

So yes, it can definitely make a difference in how things work, if you are used to it, or not so used to it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1265 on: June 03, 2023, 12:49:05 AM »
Am I thinking about this totally wrong here?

Maybe? I am not a physics guy, at all, so i could be totally off here....but I feel like the V3 might be able to slide off the coping much easier (roll up/off of it), because of the wheel shape. Think about plate tectonics where one plate slides under/over another, rather than rubbing against more at a direct angle...I feel like that's what the V3 is here, and it might "slip out" more??? I know my Classics don't "lock" as good on round coping as Conicals, Tablets, etc. If I had to Smith/Feeble/Crook a round rail, I think I'd want Classics/V3. If I was going to 50-50/5-0 it, I think I'd want something more squared off. Does this make any sense, or am I just crazy?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #1266 on: June 03, 2023, 12:25:30 PM »
What cured my madness is realizing that I was only confusing myself by always switching shit up, and that I was doing it cause I felt like other areas of my life were out of my control.

I’ve been stressed lately and the madness is trying to come back. So I’ve spent the last two hours on Tactics looking at gear.

Didn’t buy anything, though. I’m just over switching gear. Need to find another way to cope with life.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #1267 on: June 03, 2023, 12:48:21 PM »
What cured my madness is realizing that I was only confusing myself by always switching shit up, and that I was doing it cause I felt like other areas of my life were out of my control.

I’ve been stressed lately and the madness is trying to come back. So I’ve spent the last two hours on Tactics looking at gear.

Didn’t buy anything, though. I’m just over switching gear. Need to find another way to cope with life.

gear sadness

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1268 on: June 03, 2023, 12:49:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

gear sadness
😭😭😭

Pretty much lol

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1269 on: June 03, 2023, 05:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

gear sadness
[close]
😭😭😭

Pretty much lol

firm agreement

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1270 on: June 03, 2023, 06:12:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

gear sadness

That is the definition of having everything you want but not being able to skate any more, or not being able to skate enough to use it.

I feel like that sometimes, especially when I think about something or somewhere I used to skate that I would really enjoy and not be too afraid, like I am now, such as big bowls or something similar.

Not to worry though.  I just remember it is better to still be able to roll around more than it is to be able to do certain tricks or hit certain things, so as long as I can do that, I am still going to be happy enough to deal with everything else going on.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1271 on: June 03, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

gear sadness
[close]

That is the definition of having everything you want but not being able to skate any more, or not being able to skate enough to use it.

I feel like that sometimes, especially when I think about something or somewhere I used to skate that I would really enjoy and not be too afraid, like I am now, such as big bowls or something similar.

Not to worry though.  I just remember it is better to still be able to roll around more than it is to be able to do certain tricks or hit certain things, so as long as I can do that, I am still going to be happy enough to deal with everything else going on.
Totally. I started at 35 and my body holds me back the most. So I leaned heavily into gear at first, as if I could buy my way into being a “real” skater.

I’m 245 lbs and 6’4 and years of physical labor and playing basketball in school has destroyed my knees. Plus the weight don’t help.

Luckily I love rolling around on tennis courts. I can do that for hours without doing a single trick. It feels good just to get better at actually riding 😃

One thing I enjoy about skateboarding is it can be whatever you want it to be.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1272 on: June 04, 2023, 12:29:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

gear sadness
[close]

[close]
Totally. I started at 35 and my body holds me back the most. So I leaned heavily into gear at first, as if I could buy my way into being a “real” skater.

I’m 245 lbs and 6’4 and years of physical labor and playing basketball in school has destroyed my knees. Plus the weight don’t help.

Luckily I love rolling around on tennis courts. I can do that for hours without doing a single trick. It feels good just to get better at actually riding 😃

Heard someone the other day ask this kid how good they were at skating. It made me think that it doesn’t really matter, the real question you need to ask yourself is how much fun/enjoyment it brings you.

If rolling around brings you that joy, then you’re great at skateboarding. Have loads of gear? Sweet, that’s what brings you joy. ☺️

Scottboarding

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1273 on: June 04, 2023, 12:42:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

gear sadness
[close]

[close]

[close]

Heard someone the other day ask this kid how good they were at skating. It made me think that it doesn’t really matter, the real question you need to ask yourself is how much fun/enjoyment it brings you.

If rolling around brings you that joy, then you’re great at skateboarding. Have loads of gear? Sweet, that’s what brings you joy. ☺️
I’m mildly self conscious about my lack of skill and reading this made me really happy. I don’t think I’ve learned a new trick in close to a year but I’ve had fun every time I stepped on the board in that same timeframe.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1274 on: June 04, 2023, 06:59:00 AM »
I even think doing the same tricks on different stuff is actually a pretty solid way of enjoying skating.  Trying new things and tinkering is fun too.

The part that I don't see constructive is inducing an unhealthy level of of stress upon oneself.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1275 on: June 04, 2023, 07:38:43 AM »
I even think doing the same tricks on different stuff is actually a pretty solid way of enjoying skating.  Trying new things and tinkering is fun too.

The part that I don't see constructive is inducing an unhealthy level of of stress upon oneself.
Tinkering is fun. It becomes dangerous when you say, “If I change this, I’ll be better at that.” Outside of major changes like going from an 8 to 8.5, or changing truck brands, a lot of it doesn’t matter.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1276 on: June 04, 2023, 09:06:10 AM »
I'm starting to feed the madness again. Came home from a session, and I notice my axle is bent. Dont even have that deep of a k-grind groove. So I swapped to some indys I have laying around. I just hate how they are kinda unstable at center, and turn so easly. My luck with Thunder has been terrible. Broken kingpins, and now bent axle. Kinda dont want to buy them again. I guess venture is the most similar?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #1277 on: June 04, 2023, 09:14:57 AM »
I'm starting to feed the madness again. Came home from a session, and I notice my axle is bent. Dont even have that deep of a k-grind groove. So I swapped to some indys I have laying around. I just hate how they are kinda unstable at center, and turn so easly. My luck with Thunder has been terrible. Broken kingpins, and now bent axle. Kinda dont want to buy them again. I guess venture is the most similar?

Highly recommend Ventures. The stability is so helpful while setting up. They turn just fine, too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1278 on: June 04, 2023, 04:34:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Highly recommend Ventures. The stability is so helpful while setting up. They turn just fine, too.

From working in and around skate shops for 20+ years, I would go as far as to say "Everything breaks" so if the Thunder brand truck works for you besides broken kingpins or bent axles, going to a different truck might not really solve anything.

That said, I know I have definitely had bad experiences in the past, not just skateboarding, that puts me off something or someone for good, so by all means give something else a go.

As said, Venture is more stable and a lot of people skate the trucks, so something new could be the answer here too and you might find they work well and then you stick with them, especially if right now you are looking at buying a new set of something.

In the mean time, using slightly harder bushings on Indy would definitely firm up the turn on your existing trucks, even if it is just a temporary fix until you source a new set of trucks.  You might be surprised how much more stable they can feel on harder bushings, but yes they will turn a lot more than Ventures and a bit more than Thunder, depending on how you have them set up.

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1279 on: June 05, 2023, 06:27:41 AM »
Are you guys really noticing 1/8" of a wheelbase change in your boards?  Thinking about going from a 14.38 to a 14.25 and before i order the deck im wondering if its actually a big deal and something I'll even notice. If so what are the actual changes I'll feel?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #1280 on: June 05, 2023, 06:28:48 AM »
Are you guys really noticing 1/8" of a wheelbase change in your boards?  Thinking about going from a 14.38 to a 14.25 and before i order the deck im wondering if its actually a big deal and something I'll even notice. If so what are the actual changes I'll feel?
People think they do, but it's most likely in combination with other changes. Who actually gets the exact same deck with only a 1/8 wb difference? Same steepness and every other spec...

IpathCats

« Reply #1281 on: June 05, 2023, 06:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
People think they do, but it's most likely in combination with other changes. Who actually gets the exact same deck with only a 1/8 wb difference? Same steepness and every other spec...

Yea, most of the time it isnt just the WB changing.

even if the boards are the same width/length, the kick steepness and fingers of flat play a big role in feel.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1282 on: June 05, 2023, 07:10:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yah this- like if I went from 14.25 with mellow kicks to 14.38 with steep I'll notice but if everything is the same I'll get used to it fast. Now if I did the same and switched brands, like I did going from a Sci Fi to a Girl where there was way more flat before the kicks, it will feel insane.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1283 on: June 05, 2023, 10:08:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yea, most of the time it isnt just the WB changing.

even if the boards are the same width/length, the kick steepness and fingers of flat play a big role in feel.
Yeah. Also it seems like I need to adjust my trucks when I change shapes. Cause the turning feels different. It’s weird.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1284 on: June 05, 2023, 03:53:30 PM »
I have a set of bones reds that are nice and broken in. Cleaned and re-lubed them. Now they only keep speed in one set of softer wheels I have. I’ve tried them in almost every other set of wheels I have and three whole ass kicks will get me maybe 20 feet. Sometimes I fucking hate skateboards.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1285 on: June 05, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »
I have a set of bones reds that are nice and broken in. Cleaned and re-lubed them. Now they only keep speed in one set of softer wheels I have. I’ve tried them in almost every other set of wheels I have and three whole ass kicks will get me maybe 20 feet. Sometimes I fucking hate skateboards.

yeah i hate skateboards too, but not as much as i hate reds.
i’ve never had a good set of reds. i’m
currently swiss, and then on another setup mini logos. the swiss are better in every way, but the mini logos are better than the other brands of bearing i’ve had recently.
i’d like to get some swiss 6, and try ceramics, but i’ll probably not, my skating doesn’t deserve or need any of that.
i do not like reds.

manysnakes

« Reply #1286 on: June 05, 2023, 04:02:02 PM »
Swiss cost twice as much as Reds and last for years and years. Unless you really can't afford the $50-60 for Swiss (I always wait for a sale), it's "pennywise, pound foolish" to be buying cheapo bearings after cheapo bearings.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #1287 on: June 05, 2023, 04:31:14 PM »
Swiss cost twice as much as Reds and last for years and years. Unless you really can't afford the $50-60 for Swiss (I always wait for a sale), it's "pennywise, pound foolish" to be buying cheapo bearings after cheapo bearings.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1288 on: June 05, 2023, 04:37:08 PM »
I want some Swiss. But my Bronson G3s still work great after 7 months. Maybe one day. I feel like my gear last forever since I only skate a few hours a week 😭

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1289 on: June 05, 2023, 04:58:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah i hate skateboards too, but not as much as i hate reds.
i’ve never had a good set of reds. i’m
currently swiss, and then on another setup mini logos. the swiss are better in every way, but the mini logos are better than the other brands of bearing i’ve had recently.
i’d like to get some swiss 6, and try ceramics, but i’ll probably not, my skating doesn’t deserve or need any of that.
i do not like reds.

I got some mini logo bearings that broke in pretty much instantly. Also have a set of globes that were rusted out. Soaked ‘em in windex, re-lubed, and now they fly. I dunno, I tend to have bad luck with “nice” things (reds), and good luck with shitty things.