Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90806 times)

mstuntbless and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1410 on: August 14, 2023, 10:30:44 AM »
Stevie does it…..what do you think his exit strategy is?
Set up a brand new complete every time he needs to change trucks because he is Stevie Williams.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 75
« Reply #1411 on: August 14, 2023, 08:59:52 PM »
I think I have a decent antidote to the gear madness now. This week I got nervous about the gear. Over the last years, I've handed down stuff to unemployed friends, but still have few trucks and boards. So, set up a complete, got hyped and built expectations. Then went for a session, which was a complete shitshow. Nothing worked as I wanted. Came back to home, and (here's the antidote) disassembled the complete, put parts back to the box and made a mental note to pass them on.

Doesn't matter if it was just bad luck or bad day or actually because of the setup. I have a proven consistent complete, no need create alternatives to fix something that is not broken.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1412 on: August 16, 2023, 11:13:47 AM »
I think I have a decent antidote to the gear madness now. This week I got nervous about the gear. Over the last years, I've handed down stuff to unemployed friends, but still have few trucks and boards. So, set up a complete, got hyped and built expectations. Then went for a session, which was a complete shitshow. Nothing worked as I wanted. Came back to home, and (here's the antidote) disassembled the complete, put parts back to the box and made a mental note to pass them on.

Doesn't matter if it was just bad luck or bad day or actually because of the setup. I have a proven consistent complete, no need create alternatives to fix something that is not broken.

Sitting gear is the worst *looks over at those boxes of trucks and wheels* donating the gear you don't like or use the 6mo rule...if you haven't touched it in 4-6mo ditch it.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1413 on: August 16, 2023, 12:33:31 PM »
My deck got ripped in a collision so I figured why not send the deck to heaven with whatever leftover’s in my fannypack. So I put together a Venture baseplate, stock venture bushing, thunder hanger trio. And it feels so right. immediately my pop is not squirrely like on Royals and I could land bolts way more. The turn was close to a loose Royal too, without the effortlessness. The same bushings turned way better with the thunders than on the vs for some reason. I thought I had to put indy bushings on it to make up for it, but not, it's perfect

I wasn’t looking to ride it this much, but now I might ride it all summer instead of saving it for a winter beater.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1414 on: August 17, 2023, 06:26:39 PM »

Just go back to what you've been riding most of the time in those 16 years you skated. That might be the only way out of this. Stick to one setup that worked great in the past. You've been posting the same problem for months now, it's time to stop thinking about gear and actually skate. Don't do this to yourself. But if you do, I don't think anyone on slap can help you, but therapy might. And this isn't an insult, absolutely everbody could gain a lot by going to therapy. I sure did

Honestly, the most important thing is to have fun for me. While progressing is fun in it's own way, being way too in your head about random stuff like your style and bag of tricks isn't. Some sessions are good, some are better, and other are just horrible, and that's OK.

I'm definitely not the best skater in my town, but whenever I go, I have fun. That's all that matters for me. I like to go fast, do the tricks I can do as well as I can, and work on some tricks I think I could get, which doesn't always work out.

I always see dudes who are really freaking good at skating freak tf out, getting super mad because they didn't land their crazy flip in/flip out trick or something, and they don't look like they're having the best time. Unless you get paid to skate, there's no reason to take it this seriously. On the contrary, I spend a shit ton of money on skate stuff, so I might as well enjoy it otherwise what's the point?

As for your question about "does the setup have an effect on your progress", I'd say changing your setup constantly is gonna have a negative effect on your progress for sure, while getting to know your own setup and adjusting to it is gonna make everything much easier, at least for me. There is no mystical, magical setup that's gonna make someone a better skater, otherwise everyone would be skating the same shit. It's all about preference, influence and the type of skating you do.

In short: have fun and don't be too hard on yourself. Just go skate.

First of all. Mad props that you can talk so open about that. And I totally understand you. I am skating for 20 years now and there are days, where I feel absolutely terrible about my skills (check my signature under my post if you are interested). Anyway, you come off as really passionate and skateboarding is very important to you.

But, bad sessions are a part of that all. We all have those from time to time. We might have these expectations in our head, how we would like to do certain things.
I had a long talk yesterday with my homies, the key is, to let go of these expectations. Try to push yourself BUT always keep it fun. We all tend to be our own worst critic sometimes. That's where my feeling comes from, to never be happy with the things you do. It sucks and I need to work on that mentality.

These are my personal thoughts about that all, others might disagree with me here, but..
The best influence on personal progress is to stick with a specific setup which you feel comfortable on and ride that most of the time. Of course, try different things if you see a reason why you should change something. But no matter what, there just isn't one exact perfect setup for someone. My advice would be, to either stick with the Ventures or the Indys and try different foot placements for example. Ventures and Indys are very different trucks and I personally would tend to the Indys but that is for you to decide where you feel more comfortable. Skateboarding is mad difficult and will always be. Most people on this planet can't even ride one without falling.

Keep your head up mate and remember why you started skating. Because it is the most fun thing in the world.
Much love. <3

I read through this the other day when it was posted, but just couldn't reply at the time.

Now reading through it all again and having a minute to reply, I have this to add.

I have seen lots of people come and go in skateboarding, even felt the frustration and anger at myself getting the better of me often enough, even recently when things just didn't work out whatever I was trying, but for some people who are struggling for whatever reason, having a meltdown and breaking their board or taking out their frustrations in other ways, it is only going to make things worse.

I know at times like that I just have to take a breath and even take a break, then either leave whatever it was for a better time, or just find somewhere to roll around without needing to make myself do anything much, even though I might be more keen to try a whole lot more than I should at the time.  Lots of things get to me, be it a bad night sleep, not eating right, or the best one, a negative interaction with my other half (and she knows just the right buttons to push as well) so then if I think I just need to skate and those things are already bugging me, then chances are things are going to go bad, more so than get better.

If something is not working with the board, try to figure out what it is, but don't put too much into it, as in that exact point of a bearing making a little noise, or a truck squeak or whatever else that can send you over the edge, compared to tightening or loosening trucks a little, or something with the shoes or deck getting old, or too new or whatever it is.  Seen people take apart their whole board and rebuild it in the middle of a session, which might have helped but sure did look a bit weird, but whatever works to help take your attention off a specific issue is a good thing to do sometimes.

Having "Gear Madness" is a real thing - sometimes trying out too many options will make things way worse, but more often than not, you might also find what does work best for you, so can fine tune things from all those experiences into something that means keeping a certain brand of truck, or a height of truck, or even combinations of truck bushing, board, wheelbase, or whatever will usually lead back to a stable point, or something that you can rely on at least to restart things and build on that, before going down a rabbit hole or worse.

At least I will always have a skateboard and a place to go in some form or other, just to have a roll and forget about everything else, which has always made it so appealing and accessible to me, compared to almost anything else, or dealing with anyone else, where you need specific things, locations, other people or places you have to rely on.  This is just me on my own, doing what I want, when I want to.  Some days, or even up to a week sometimes, I just don't feel like rolling, but other times and days, I am very keen, even with injuries, I can still get out somewhere for something, not pushing myself if I don't need to, or taking it easy if I know I can't go too hard for whatever reason, so with that I would like to think I never take this for granted, given everything else that could be going on.

Leaving it at that for now, but remember, you are never alone with this - there are always lots of other people, skaters, whoever, that are all at some point going through the same things.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #1415 on: August 19, 2023, 07:49:17 PM »
I just like PS Stix more than BBS. The concave feels way better IMHO. Can't put my finger on it. Not sure why I keep giving BBS a try.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #1416 on: August 20, 2023, 07:44:07 AM »
because they make up the majority of the market?  ie. PS boards are not easy to find always....

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1417 on: August 20, 2023, 07:46:56 AM »
because they make up the majority of the market?  ie. PS boards are not easy to find always....
True. I have some on ice, but BBS is way easier to find sadly. I know Toy Machine and Pizza use them.

Deadringer

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1418 on: August 20, 2023, 10:13:12 AM »
Has anyone gone from 1/4” risers and 58mm wheels to no risers and like 52/54mm wheels? Interesting to know what your experience was like.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1419 on: August 20, 2023, 11:39:47 AM »
I was on 1/8 risers and 60mm wheels for some time. Honestly everything got so much easier with the 52-54mm wheels. Large wheels are cool to just roll around but when it comes to actual performance smaller wheels are so much better.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1420 on: August 20, 2023, 01:48:59 PM »

I always had an easy time finding PS Prior to covid. 2017-2019 I skated a lot of PS Stix I'm pretty sure. Seems like they're harder to find now as Paul and maybe the brands are doing smaller runs on PS molds or brands have been testing other woodshops to save money and supply chain issues.

I haven't skated one in ages, but I always enjoyed their shapes, even if the stability/durability was hit or miss.

Now I just keep BBS on repeat: Black Label, Hockey, DLX
Super Champion Fun Zone

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1421 on: August 20, 2023, 02:04:58 PM »
Pizza is probably the easiest way to get PS Stix in the US. They got some good deals on wood, I got 2 decks for $35 each after discounts and shipping. And the mystery box is even better.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1422 on: August 20, 2023, 04:58:28 PM »
Has anyone gone from 1/4” risers and 58mm wheels to no risers and like 52/54mm wheels? Interesting to know what your experience was like.

I was on 1/8 risers and 60mm wheels for some time. Honestly everything got so much easier with the 52-54mm wheels. Large wheels are cool to just roll around but when it comes to actual performance smaller wheels are so much better.

Yeah for sure.

Big wheels and risers to combat wheelbite, or give extra height to allow for more turn, but the tail is further off the ground, which might be fine for transition or not so tech skating, but it can make some things harder.

Smaller wheels and no risers the tail is way closer to the ground and way easier to get tech or do some things that you might not do on bigger wheels with risers, but it can also be a bit weird to get used to.  Once there, everything was easier for me, but adapting to either or both can have benefits too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1423 on: August 21, 2023, 05:13:35 AM »
Help me skater friends .. I'm back in the infernal madness but this time with a little more personal psychology.. Indeed, I bought a pair of independent hollows 139 on an 8, and I loved the first 2 sessions .. until a bad session .. And there I
say that I should never have bought this, that it would be better with such or such brand of trucks .. honestly I tried almost everything .. I am small, and I even also tried a wheelbase 14 with my venture raw high that I skated now for a year and 3 months until the change with the independents.. and with these recent bad sessions, I tell myself that I should have taken low trucks, that it would surely be better.. . I fell into a vicious circle and a negative mentality.. I've been skating for 16 years, I'm 31, and sometimes.. my sessions are fabulous, or I think skateboarding is fun and that's it.. and sometimes back to reality, or I don't master basic tricks, like the Kickflip which I've had a problem with for 10 years now.. I sometimes feel useless, this is also the lack of confidence.. I find also that I have an awful style .. In short, to admit to you .. I have the BIG fault of me unfortunately compare to others..

Why are you talking about this with the truck madness too? Because I would like to get back the fun I had before when I didn't think about those fucking parameters (high/low trucks, length, wheelbase..), but.. I think the craziness will be everywhere for me from now on. (I also reassure myself by telling myself that Reynolds or Degros also have it ahaha). Sorry for these personal confidences, but I love skateboarding so much, and feeling useless in your passion is horrible .. Yet I have a relatively good directory of tricks in flatground, I put almost all the rotations, but a little badly on some flip tricks..

I want to say that it's not a death either and that the importance is to ride and have fun without asking questions.. I know that my lack of confidence has surely blocked my progress.. In my early years skating, I was made fun of a lot about my style, I think I started off with a negative mentality and that must have played a part.. I have one last question for you, despite the madness, honestly, does the setup have an influence on our progress and on the tricks ?

Thank you in advance for your answers skater friends.. I didn't dare to talk about it, but I think that opening up to the world and discussing your resentment for your passion for skateboarding does not hurt..

Hey mate, we haven't heard back from you.
I hope you feel better today. :)
IG: @flowterspace

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1424 on: August 21, 2023, 07:37:28 AM »
When fall starts, I plan to start skating on 8" and 7.75" decks (I have two unused Hotel Blue decks at home). Up until now, I've been skating on 9" and 8.5" decks, so I need new trucks and I'm going crazy searching for some. I've thought that the Venture 5.25" trucks would be good, but I can't decide between the high and low versions. I'm looking for quick pop and responsive board feel, but I also want a good turn and to use 53mm or 54mm wheels. Would the high ones be the better choice? In the store, I have availability of the V-Lights, the High Pro Lucien Clarke, or the Throw Team Edition trucks. Is there too much difference between them?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #1425 on: August 21, 2023, 07:42:01 AM »
When fall starts, I plan to start skating on 8" and 7.75" decks (I have two unused Hotel Blue decks at home). Up until now, I've been skating on 9" and 8.5" decks, so I need new trucks and I'm going crazy searching for some. I've thought that the Venture 5.25" trucks would be good, but I can't decide between the high and low versions. I'm looking for quick pop and responsive board feel, but I also want a good turn and to use 53mm or 54mm wheels. Would the high ones be the better choice? In the store, I have availability of the V-Lights, the High Pro Lucien Clarke, or the Throw Team Edition trucks. Is there too much difference between them?

You can't skate 53/54 on lows. I wheelbite often on 50s.

Personally, I'd suggest the 5.2 V-Light highs, because I think 5.2 casts are a lil too tall proportionally.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1426 on: August 21, 2023, 08:30:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Help me skater friends .. I'm back in the infernal madness but this time with a little more personal psychology.. Indeed, I bought a pair of independent hollows 139 on an 8, and I loved the first 2 sessions .. until a bad session .. And there I
say that I should never have bought this, that it would be better with such or such brand of trucks .. honestly I tried almost everything .. I am small, and I even also tried a wheelbase 14 with my venture raw high that I skated now for a year and 3 months until the change with the independents.. and with these recent bad sessions, I tell myself that I should have taken low trucks, that it would surely be better.. . I fell into a vicious circle and a negative mentality.. I've been skating for 16 years, I'm 31, and sometimes.. my sessions are fabulous, or I think skateboarding is fun and that's it.. and sometimes back to reality, or I don't master basic tricks, like the Kickflip which I've had a problem with for 10 years now.. I sometimes feel useless, this is also the lack of confidence.. I find also that I have an awful style .. In short, to admit to you .. I have the BIG fault of me unfortunately compare to others..

Why are you talking about this with the truck madness too? Because I would like to get back the fun I had before when I didn't think about those fucking parameters (high/low trucks, length, wheelbase..), but.. I think the craziness will be everywhere for me from now on. (I also reassure myself by telling myself that Reynolds or Degros also have it ahaha). Sorry for these personal confidences, but I love skateboarding so much, and feeling useless in your passion is horrible .. Yet I have a relatively good directory of tricks in flatground, I put almost all the rotations, but a little badly on some flip tricks..

I want to say that it's not a death either and that the importance is to ride and have fun without asking questions.. I know that my lack of confidence has surely blocked my progress.. In my early years skating, I was made fun of a lot about my style, I think I started off with a negative mentality and that must have played a part.. I have one last question for you, despite the madness, honestly, does the setup have an influence on our progress and on the tricks ?

Thank you in advance for your answers skater friends.. I didn't dare to talk about it, but I think that opening up to the world and discussing your resentment for your passion for skateboarding does not hurt..
[close]

Hey mate, we haven't heard back from you.
I hope you feel better today. :)

I was just going to answer you because your messages have been very beneficial to me and have allowed me to reflect on all this.. I took a three-day break from skating, took a short break on instagram, and I I walked a lot in the forest to recharge myself mentally.

I was lucky to have my best skate friend come to my house this weekend, because we don't live in the same place anymore, knowing that I moved, and I was able to talk about it with him. He is one of the people who can ride any parameter, any size even if it's too small or too big.. And he told me one thing, which he kept repeating to me, but this time, in a detailed conversation and by genuinely expressing how I feel, he told me that I'm just asking myself too many questions and that I just have to skate, and maybe I've pay attention on the trucks, length, wheelbase, surely blocked my progress .. to tell myself that "Ah yes finally, maybe I should skate shorter in length because I have small legs, but also maybe I would have less balance, ah but maybe I also need such or such trucks so that it goes better etc etc .." INFERNAL SPIRAL ..

I then took the time to think when I was alone, and it is true that I had an illumination that made me say one thing: Before madness, I skated what I had without taking all this into account, and .. it worked and I skated well !

That's why I bought my next board, without looking at the size of the length and wheelbase, and hell, I just want to love having a board that I like at my width board size, that's all !

As for my self-confidence, which is sometimes negative, he also told me that I have to give a damn about it, no matter the position of my legs, no matter how I do my tricks, the important is to just skate and land your tricks well.. I would never be a pro, I don't see why putting so much pressure on myself in fact.. I know that I have a chance to skate again, and that I I never stopped, and, which makes me happy, many told me that I had a very good spirit and that I often motivated .. (Especially the kids).

Anyway, all that to say that it's a long way to get out of this fucking madness, but I'm wasting too much time on this..

Thank you for the advice that made me smile and relativized ..   :-* I think back to a quote from Collin Provost about the term Stay Gold in an interview "Stay gold is remembering why you started skating, just being on your board and not giving a fuck, before the industry comes into the equation, that's it Stay gold" I'll just think of skating like first years..
I do not hope to fall back into this hell ..

But, do you agree with me that in the end, all these parameters may be blocking us in our progress and mentality ?

"Skate for fun"

Yakusoku2

« Reply #1427 on: August 21, 2023, 09:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can't skate 53/54 on lows. I wheelbite often on 50s.

Personally, I'd suggest the 5.2 V-Light highs, because I think 5.2 casts are a lil too tall proportionally.

Thank you! 5.2 v-lights will be!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1428 on: August 21, 2023, 09:45:48 AM »
Glad you came out the other end @FrenchSkater, madness is fun for a bit but often hurts much more than it helps. I'm guilty of going to bed thinking of length and WB and wheelsize, reminiscing on how I used to have whatever tricks on lock with whatever setup. We will all have good days and bad, thankfully as non-pros our livelihood doesn't depend on always having good days. I've got a good job, health, a great family and that's more than anyone can ask for. Being able to enjoy skateboarding is a blessing and I remind myself a shit day on the board beats a day in the office.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1429 on: August 21, 2023, 10:04:00 AM »
Just ordered a Girl board. I don’t have madness per se, but I’m always worried I’ll find a shape I love and it’ll be discounted/hard to track down. Crailtap having a shape guide should be the standard for every brand. Plus my first board was a Chocolate and I really loved that thing (still have it since I started skating last year).

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1430 on: August 21, 2023, 10:09:13 AM »
Glad you came out the other end @FrenchSkater, madness is fun for a bit but often hurts much more than it helps. I'm guilty of going to bed thinking of length and WB and wheelsize, reminiscing on how I used to have whatever tricks on lock with whatever setup. We will all have good days and bad, thankfully as non-pros our livelihood doesn't depend on always having good days. I've got a good job, health, a great family and that's more than anyone can ask for. Being able to enjoy skateboarding is a blessing and I remind myself a shit day on the board beats a day in the office.

That was very motivational. Thanks for that reminder.
IG: @flowterspace

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1431 on: August 21, 2023, 02:16:02 PM »
Just ordered a Girl board. I don’t have madness per se, but I’m always worried I’ll find a shape I love and it’ll be discounted/hard to track down. Crailtap having a shape guide should be the standard for every brand. Plus my first board was a Chocolate and I really loved that thing (still have it since I started skating last year).

Your answer touches me a lot and there are beautiful quotes. All this is true. THANKS ! Skateboarding brings us so much happiness.. Much more happiness than unhappiness !

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1432 on: August 21, 2023, 10:54:40 PM »

I completely agree on this! I've been thinking lately that one factor might be that well, I used to have hours and hours daily for skateboarding younger, as today I only have few hours a week, if even that. What starts as rational thinking to get your setup to work as well as possible for getitng most out of those moments ends up to substitute of skateboarding, overanalysing the measurements and what not.

As I've said before, every second on the board is a gift at this point. I should remember it also when not landing so many tricks as I used to.

I also think that there's lot of wisdom in the "the older he gets the better he was"...

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1433 on: August 22, 2023, 04:17:05 AM »
I’ve shifted focus to little goals. Like getting better at pushing and riding switch, improving my balance with yoga, etc. It’s best to have a chill approach to skating if you’re not trying to go pro.

There’s a lot of negative self-talk in the community. I hate when folks are like, “Oh I suck.” No you don’t. The average person can’t even ride a skateboard. If you can do that without falling off every five seconds you don’t suck.

I think the issue is we’re exposed to amazing, super human skateboarding on the daily. So we rank ourselves next to pros. You don’t see this happening in other hobbies. Like guys who hoop don’t go around saying, “I suck, did you see what Lebron did last night?”

The madness comes from us wanting to be as good as possible. But it’s really a mental health issue. I know I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and depression. So it’s easy for me to focus on the wrong things.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #1434 on: August 22, 2023, 06:02:19 AM »
Pushing switch and not looking dumb while at it is a huge accomplishment
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1435 on: August 22, 2023, 06:11:47 AM »
I’ve shifted focus to little goals. Like getting better at pushing and riding switch, improving my balance with yoga, etc. It’s best to have a chill approach to skating if you’re not trying to go pro.

There’s a lot of negative self-talk in the community. I hate when folks are like, “Oh I suck.” No you don’t. The average person can’t even ride a skateboard. If you can do that without falling off every five seconds you don’t suck.

I think the issue is we’re exposed to amazing, super human skateboarding on the daily. So we rank ourselves next to pros. You don’t see this happening in other hobbies. Like guys who hoop don’t go around saying, “I suck, did you see what Lebron did last night?”

The madness comes from us wanting to be as good as possible. But it’s really a mental health issue. I know I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and depression. So it’s easy for me to focus on the wrong things.

Expand Quote
[close]

I completely agree on this! I've been thinking lately that one factor might be that well, I used to have hours and hours daily for skateboarding younger, as today I only have few hours a week, if even that. What starts as rational thinking to get your setup to work as well as possible for getitng most out of those moments ends up to substitute of skateboarding, overanalysing the measurements and what not.

As I've said before, every second on the board is a gift at this point. I should remember it also when not landing so many tricks as I used to.

I also think that there's lot of wisdom in the "the older he gets the better he was"...

So what you're both saying is to gaslight myself into thinking I've always been shit and when I have a half-decent day I should be ecstatic, got it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #1436 on: August 22, 2023, 08:13:18 AM »
So what you're both saying is to gaslight myself into thinking I've always been shit and when I have a half-decent day I should be ecstatic, got it.

That's one way to interpret it, sure. But I'm 46, and can't do on board what I did 25 or even 15 years ago. I also have much less time to skate. Took me a while to accept these facts. After that it's been more fun and less bitter memories of past achievements. It's been even more fun since I stopped changing my complete for every session. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Yakusoku2

« Reply #1437 on: August 22, 2023, 09:07:55 AM »
Thanks for the perspective. I’ve been hating myself lately for not landing tricks I could land consistently years ago. On the top of that, the 13 year olds I skate with are landing new tricks in just one session. It’s amazing how fast they improve and how fast I get worse. Lately, at the end of my sessions when it’s too dark for trying tricks, I’m riding and pushing switch and it makes me feel better too.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1438 on: August 22, 2023, 09:58:17 AM »
Kids have such an advantage over us when it comes to learning tricks. Less fear, faster healing time, and no real responsibilities. Skateboarding is a major commitment, and if you’re an adult that’s not a pro, you can’t spend five hours a day doing it.

So it’s natural that you’ll get worse with age. If Andrew Reynolds was a normal dude he wouldn’t be so good at his age, cause he would’ve had to get a “real” job ages ago.

Having the time to be that good is a privilege.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1439 on: August 22, 2023, 10:07:41 AM »
Madness is so bad I don't even know what I want to ride anymore and I rage focused my board today.

Setup a random deck on Indy standards and loved it for the first 3-5 sessions and since then its been rough going. I can do all the same stuff with marginally less consistency. The turn is fun, but a bit tippy and crazy at times. I likely skate better on Thunders. Been on the same shape more or less for over a year and it works, but after trying some others it no longer feels advantageous over anything else. Ventures have not historically worked for me, but being a more stable Indy-ish truck I sorta wish they did.

So I've got no setup right now and wanna skate on Thursday.