Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90826 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1800 on: February 02, 2024, 03:20:45 PM »
Was at shop. They had a DLX 8.5/14.25. I've had those before. And always hated them (too short and stubby for me). But this one was a IV stamp. And my favorite color top stain. Stood on it, and was feeling nice. So, I bought it. Gripped it at home, and it was looking real, real nice. How had I not liked this deck, several times, before? Switched over trucks/wheels, and was excited to go skate it. Then I stood on it. "Oh, right. You really don't like this thing, and now it's all coming back as to why." Skated it for about 2 hours, and pretty much hated every second. Went home, and took that thing right apart. Why did I even buy this? Did I think it's performance aspects were suddenly going to change...if I tried it again? Oh, right. I know why I bought it; madness. That last few times I had that deck, I gave it away. I think this time I'll keep it around, so a year from now, when I decide to try it again...I won't have to buy another one.

If you still had those Venture trucks, they would work on that board with the shorter wheelbase, but it is still not Indy on 14.38 wb and I know you know that too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1801 on: February 02, 2024, 05:02:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Was at shop. They had a DLX 8.5/14.25. I've had those before. And always hated them (too short and stubby for me). But this one was a IV stamp. And my favorite color top stain. Stood on it, and was feeling nice. So, I bought it. Gripped it at home, and it was looking real, real nice. How had I not liked this deck, several times, before? Switched over trucks/wheels, and was excited to go skate it. Then I stood on it. "Oh, right. You really don't like this thing, and now it's all coming back as to why." Skated it for about 2 hours, and pretty much hated every second. Went home, and took that thing right apart. Why did I even buy this? Did I think it's performance aspects were suddenly going to change...if I tried it again? Oh, right. I know why I bought it; madness. That last few times I had that deck, I gave it away. I think this time I'll keep it around, so a year from now, when I decide to try it again...I won't have to buy another one.
[close]

If you still had those Venture trucks, they would work on that board with the shorter wheelbase, but it is still not Indy on 14.38 wb and I know you know that too.

I actually still do have them. But I don’t like milk all that much. I really hate Gin, too. Milk and Gin mixed together? No thanks. :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:01:01 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1802 on: February 03, 2024, 12:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I actually still do have them. But I don’t like milk all that much. I really hate Gin, too. Milk and Gin mixed together? No thanks. :)

Well you could set it all up with some wheels you don't like either so it can really be your whole entire hating life type of setup you can have a stand on or even a look at any time you ever think that you would like to try anything other than DLX 8.25 on forged Indy 144s with 53 mm Classic wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Re: Gear madness support thread I actually set that up the other day, even the b
« Reply #1803 on: February 03, 2024, 12:20:47 AM »

I actually set that up the other day, even the blue bushings and it is a fun setup, so I could see how that would work so well for you, or anyone else who wanted to try it for that matter.

What else is on your usual board?

DLX 8.25 IV stamp deck
Indy forged hollow 144 trucks with blue 92 cylinder bushings
Spitfire Classic 53 mm 99 duro wheels
Bearings?
Grip?
Bolts?

Any other mods or changes to what would be a fairly easy setup to make from all stock parts?

Helping with your madness to make more of my own...

Good fun though seeing what others ride / have as their preferred setup when I have done that before in the past.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
Re: Gear madness support thread I actually set that up the other day, even the b
« Reply #1804 on: February 03, 2024, 01:11:05 AM »

I actually set that up the other day, even the blue bushings and it is a fun setup, so I could see how that would work so well for you, or anyone else who wanted to try it for that matter.

What else is on your usual board?

DLX 8.25 IV stamp deck
Indy forged hollow 144 trucks with blue 92 cylinder bushings
Spitfire Classic 53 mm 99 duro wheels
Bearings?
Grip?
Bolts?

Any other mods or changes to what would be a fairly easy setup to make from all stock parts?

Helping with your madness to make more of my own...

Good fun though seeing what others ride / have as their preferred setup when I have done that before in the past.

Bearings: Super Swiss 6
Grip: Jessup
Bolts: Indy 7/8" Allen

Oh, I usually ride rails, too. Powell Rib Bones. No other mods, though.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #1805 on: February 03, 2024, 05:55:01 AM »
After years of stressing my wheels HAVE to be 51mm when new, I can now say 52mm is just fine too. Whew…needed to get that off my chest.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1806 on: February 03, 2024, 06:45:13 AM »
After years of stressing my wheels HAVE to be 51mm when new, I can now say 52mm is just fine too. Whew…needed to get that off my chest.

extremely relevant to my interests

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1807 on: February 03, 2024, 07:32:28 AM »

Damn, dude. That’s a bold move. I’m locked on 53, and the idea of going 54/52 is, well, a Cataclysmic abyss of peril and torment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 08:08:31 AM by Sedition »

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #1808 on: February 03, 2024, 07:40:04 AM »

I agree with this.  I switched to 52 for a while, but now for some reason I am back on 51 and I sometimes have thoughts about 50 lol.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1809 on: February 03, 2024, 07:21:01 PM »
52mm is the best, you want 53s but 52s are fine, you want 51s and 52s will be that in a good weeks worth of skating.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1810 on: February 03, 2024, 08:05:30 PM »
52mm is the best, you want 53s but 52s are fine, you want 51s and 52s will be that in a good weeks worth of skating.

oh it’s the best size for me for sure.

if i was in skate heaven, and skated new wheels every week: 50s.

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1811 on: February 04, 2024, 01:49:41 AM »
you don't know what you are missing not riding 56s

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1812 on: February 04, 2024, 02:01:26 AM »
The real question is tho... Are you wheels really the size you say they are?
I know my wheels isent 54mm anymore, after a couple of months. More like 51-52mm. Wheels shred atleast 1mm per month, if you skate streets or rougher parks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1813 on: February 04, 2024, 02:31:43 AM »

There is definitely a place for 56 mm wheels and above, as per quite a few of my usual boards, but I still prefer smaller wheels for a lot of things, small tech stuff that bigger wheels just don't do so well on.

I guess it is down to what you skate or even how you skate, as people with big wheels can still get tech, but I find 56 and up almost impossible to skate curbs and small things, whereas 50 mm wheels work oh so well on those smaller things, lots of slides, wheels not getting in the way the way bigger wheels do, etc.

The real question is tho... Are you wheels really the size you say they are?
I know my wheels isent 54mm anymore, after a couple of months. More like 51-52mm. Wheels shred atleast 1mm per month, if you skate streets or rougher parks

I think more than a few people have measuring calipers on here - I got a bulk deal when I went looking so I passed quite a few round to people I skate with, so there are definitely more people who are very aware of their wheel sizes more in my circle of skate friends.

I prefer 56 mm wheels for my "Go fast" boards, more for transition but also anywhere I am not really thinking about doing much else too.  That said, I do have boards with 57, 58, 59 and 60+ but I don't skate them much.

I have 52 - 54 mm wheels on my main setups, often starting at 54 but usually worn down at least to 53 or under, usually Conical Full that have been rounded off.

Then around 50 mm or so, give or take a mm, on my small tech / curb setups or boards that are pretty much done, but they might still be good for small stuff.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1814 on: February 04, 2024, 05:02:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with this.  I switched to 52 for a while, but now for some reason I am back on 51 and I sometimes have thoughts about 50 lol.

It were 52mm for me, for a long time. Got a set of Spit Conicals in 54mm that I kinda fear to set up. Especially now, that I switched from Indy Forged to Thunder Hollow Lights. But back in the day, I ran 55mm Classics on Thunder 147s.
So everything will be fine. Right? 😅 Only gotta figure out the bushing situation for those Thunders.
And now back to the daily stretching program pals.
IG: @flowterspace

Dmng

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1815 on: February 04, 2024, 11:25:46 AM »
I actually made the forbidden move and bought some x99 54mm to give it a try
From my haze 54mm I find the difference to be massive. I feel like riding 95duro wheels because they are not as loud and create way less vibrations, comfort difference is huge.
For the slide part it does feel the same as my previous 99 even though I find the sliding to be more progressive.
I can’t really feel any difference between decks when it’s the same width as I’m quite new to skating, but those wheels make such a difference, might be my best investment until now ! I’m so curious about x97 for skating rougher spots, commute on the road etc

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • sup dog
« Reply #1816 on: February 04, 2024, 11:48:24 AM »
I actually made the forbidden move and bought some x99 54mm to give it a try
From my haze 54mm I find the difference to be massive. I feel like riding 95duro wheels because they are not as loud and create way less vibrations, comfort difference is huge.
For the slide part it does feel the same as my previous 99 even though I find the sliding to be more progressive.
I can’t really feel any difference between decks when it’s the same width as I’m quite new to skating, but those wheels make such a difference, might be my best investment until now ! I’m so curious about x97 for skating rougher spots, commute on the road etc

Forbidden?!

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Dmng

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1817 on: February 04, 2024, 12:32:11 PM »
Forbidden because my previous wheels were barely used and I can’t really justify with my level ! Proper gear madness
My back already thank me tho !

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #1818 on: February 04, 2024, 02:52:19 PM »
Absolutely! This thought is how I got over the mental block.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1819 on: February 04, 2024, 04:53:03 PM »

No, I do, I'm missing the wheelbite.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It were 52mm for me, for a long time. Got a set of Spit Conicals in 54mm that I kinda fear to set up. Especially now, that I switched from Indy Forged to Thunder Hollow Lights. But back in the day, I ran 55mm Classics on Thunder 147s.
So everything will be fine. Right? 😅 Only gotta figure out the bushing situation for those Thunders.

What's your thunder bushing problem? I'm riding 94a thunder bottoms, bones hard top;  I'm not sure what the deal is but my bones hards compressed down soooo much compared to the mediums I have that I've ridden a ton...the top is a low top now and the bottom is quickly approaching a regular/slightly taller top height....crazy.

Trying to track down a 95a rebuild kit that isn't overpriced af.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1820 on: February 05, 2024, 07:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What's your thunder bushing problem? I'm riding 94a thunder bottoms, bones hard top;  I'm not sure what the deal is but my bones hards compressed down soooo much compared to the mediums I have that I've ridden a ton...the top is a low top now and the bottom is quickly approaching a regular/slightly taller top height....crazy.

I put Indy 92 Cylinders as the bottom bushing for the first sesh. Those were okay, but I felt like the turn was a bit limited and I am not sure Cylinder.bushings are the best for Thunders. Then I put the Thunder stock bottoms in but those were way too surfy and loose. I will try the 94 Thunder aftermarket bushings now and try to break them in. I hope they get a bit harder. The wheelie point feels hella wonky and surfy on Thunders to me. But I rode Indy's for a long time with Cylinder bushings and my balance isn't the best due to medical problems. But the Thunder pop felt way better and more controlled as the Indy's before and I had way less ghost pop. I also got the Ace Hard bushings and the Pig 91 Mediums for experimenting.

Thanks for coming to the bushing madness my pals. Back to the stretching now.
IG: @flowterspace

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1821 on: February 05, 2024, 09:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Absolutely! This thought is how I got over the mental block.

I've tried 52mm more times than I want to admit. How can 1mm really impact anything?* I don't know, but it seems to. They felt too slow, too low, didn't engage with coping well, and seemed to slip out on grinds more. Really? I'm being that much of a princess over 1mm? 1mm? Skateboarding is weird. 53mm is also easier to find in 97a, 99a, 101a (e.g. Spits) than 52mm, so there is that, too. It's nice to have some duro options as surfaces may dictate.

*53mm is my usual.

pops

• Rep: 260
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1822 on: February 05, 2024, 09:46:51 AM »

56s are the truth. So are 60s.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1823 on: February 05, 2024, 10:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

56s are the truth. So are 60s.

I feel like you can literally skate anything well (aside from especially rough spots) on 56mm 99a F4 Classics.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1824 on: February 05, 2024, 12:57:48 PM »
I tried ma indy's in mini ramps, and I kinda liked it. The smoother grind, and the turn makes slashes kinda easier then Thunder... Now I consider just to skate Indy's everywhere...
But my wheels are only 50mm... I kinda want to try bigger wheeels, 53-54mm should be ideal for indoor mini ramps ye?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1825 on: February 05, 2024, 02:03:01 PM »
I tried ma indy's in mini ramps, and I kinda liked it. The smoother grind, and the turn makes slashes kinda easier then Thunder... Now I consider just to skate Indy's everywhere...
But my wheels are only 50mm... I kinda want to try bigger wheeels, 53-54mm should be ideal for indoor mini ramps ye?

53mm, Indys, Mini Ramp = heaven

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1826 on: February 05, 2024, 06:59:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So everything will be fine. Right?  Only gotta figure out the bushing situation for those Thunders.
[close]

[close]

I put Indy 92 Cylinders as the bottom bushing for the first sesh. Those were okay, but I felt like the turn was a bit limited and I am not sure Cylinder.bushings are the best for Thunders. Then I put the Thunder stock bottoms in but those were way too surfy and loose. I will try the 94 Thunder aftermarket bushings now and try to break them in. I hope they get a bit harder. The wheelie point feels hella wonky and surfy on Thunders to me. But I rode Indy's for a long time with Cylinder bushings and my balance isn't the best due to medical problems. But the Thunder pop felt way better and more controlled as the Indy's before and I had way less ghost pop. I also got the Ace Hard bushings and the Pig 91 Mediums for experimenting.

It might work for some, and I've tried it a few times, but a barrel bottom in thunders just ruins the turn/unique thunder characteristics for me, there is a reason why they ship with conicals, ya know?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1827 on: February 05, 2024, 07:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So everything will be fine. Right?  Only gotta figure out the bushing situation for those Thunders.
[close]

[close]

[close]

It might work for some, and I've tried it a few times, but a barrel bottom in thunders just ruins the turn/unique thunder characteristics for me, there is a reason why they ship with conicals, ya know?

you are correct.
i feel similarly, but to a much, much lesser extent, about conicals in ventures: i might do it every few years or so, increases the turn, lessens the pop, for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1828 on: February 05, 2024, 09:45:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you are correct.
i feel similarly, but to a much, much lesser extent, about conicals in ventures: i might do it every few years or so, increases the turn, lessens the pop, for me.

I've done it with bones/indy conicals and losing that pop/stability just takes away from those base characteristics (putting  bones in royals does the same thing)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1829 on: February 06, 2024, 03:14:46 PM »
its still fun to try new boards
but the feel of knowing home base is 100

got every dimension within .25 of an inch
im glad the options are slim in the range i look for (9-9.25)

trucks are set for eternity
bearings and hardware too
the one thing is wheels at this point
x formula should have been my most recent purchase
but soon pals, soon

lets not talk about the thousands spent on the journey tho
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo