Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90830 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1890 on: February 24, 2024, 08:54:36 AM »
Having a slight crisis and not sure what the next step I should take

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Foy Twin 8.5 x 31.9 14.25 wheelbase
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Crail 8.5 Twin Tip 8.5 x 31.8 14 wheelbase
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Shop board 8.5 x 32.25 14.375 wheelbase
Indy Hollows 144

So far I've liked the shop board the most but wish it were a twin. Now I'm thinking about getting a set of Indy 149s and building another setup with a new shop board but don't know if there's going to be any noticeable differences between the 144s and the 149s. Ultimately I'd like just one do it all set up but not sure if a twin shape is more important than not

I'm weening myself off twins as there are not many I prefer (too many with short WB or weird dims) and the only real benefit is just throwing the board down and off you go; the Foy / Toy twins have been the best of the offerings for me.

Maybe try the foy on 149s?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 05:46:02 PM by Xen »

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1891 on: February 24, 2024, 11:53:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh it’s certainly a shopping addiction too. All my spare decks used to bother me, but they’re just wood and if you store them properly they’ll last for years. Just set up a Tactics deck I grabbed in 2022 and it’s fine. Not as good as my g053s, but I wanted to get rid of it.

Now I worry about shoes cause I’ve seen some fall apart online. But I hope that takes YEARS, like over three at least. One sucky thing about wearing size 14 is I basically have no one to give them too. May have to find some tall Slap members to dump them on one day lol
[close]

If you're in the US shoes will last a long time, got a few pairs of NB 868 from a Pal on here which have to be at least 5-6 years old and they're holding up just fine (knock on wood). But they heat and humidity of the tropics wrecks the glue and foam on shoes.
[close]
That’s good to hear. I’m in the US and keep my shoes in a chill/dark closet.

I have a stack of Joslin and Maranas from 2018 and a couple of them I recently rotated in to skate and wear casually. Feels as good and skates like the first time I did back in 2018. So as long as you store them somewhere with no humidity or drastic temperature changes, they'll be alright.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1892 on: February 24, 2024, 02:15:54 PM »
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

So far I've liked the shop board the most but wish it were a twin. Now I'm thinking about getting a set of Indy 149s and building another setup with a new shop board but don't know if there's going to be any noticeable differences between the 144s and the 149s. Ultimately I'd like just one do it all set up but not sure if a twin shape is more important than not
[close]

I'm weening myself off twins as there are not many I prefer (too many with short WB or weird dims) and th eonly real benefit is just throwing the board down and off you go; the foy / Toy twins have been the best of the offerings for me.

I am all for Indy 149s on anything 8.5 or 8.38, but I like a little bit more stability in that regard.  They are more balanced, I feel, for the similar sized board, rather than being a bit tippy with 8.5 or 8.38 on 144s, which is what a few friends have, but they are all about the street tech.

More personal opinion than anything else, but it is good to have at least one set of 144, 149 and 159 if you are trying anything from 8.25 through to 8.75 even though that is probably not helping the madness.

Not to say only 144 on 8.25, only 149 on 8.38 or 8.5 and only 159 on 8.6 and up, but mixing and matching can give some interesting results.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1893 on: February 24, 2024, 05:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

I'm weening myself off twins as there are not many I prefer (too many with short WB or weird dims) and th eonly real benefit is just throwing the board down and off you go; the foy / Toy twins have been the best of the offerings for me.

[close]

I am all for Indy 149s on anything 8.5 or 8.38, but I like a little bit more stability in that regard.  They are more balanced, I feel, for the similar sized board, rather than being a bit tippy with 8.5 or 8.38 on 144s, which is what a few friends have, but they are all about the street tech.

More personal opinion than anything else, but it is good to have at least one set of 144, 149 and 159 if you are trying anything from 8.25 through to 8.75 even though that is probably not helping the madness.

Not to say only 144 on 8.25, only 149 on 8.38 or 8.5 and only 159 on 8.6 and up, but mixing and matching can give some interesting results.

Of all the combos I've tried 144/148 on 8.5" felt the worst...8.3x on 144/148 works fine for me tho. /crazy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1894 on: February 24, 2024, 05:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

I'm weening myself off twins as there are not many I prefer (too many with short WB or weird dims) and the only real benefit is just throwing the board down and off you go; the Foy / Toy twins have been the best of the offerings for me.

Wheel wells did not help me; probably could have gone cast but it would have still happened....149s, 52mm 101a classics 94a thunder bottoms, bones hard top. Jacuzzi (what an ugly shape this thing is blech).

I put my 5.8 cast venture / 52mm STF 103a back on.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1895 on: February 26, 2024, 05:15:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First madness of my life; went through too many wheels within the span of two months.

Started off with wanting to try Dragons after riding Spitfire F4 for as long as they've been around. Bought the 54mm V4 Dragons and loved them at first. Spot to spot was so much faster, and I liked the rebound. They definitely don't slide as well as everyone wants you to believe. Especially felt it on flat ground tricks that required a little bit of a revert (backslide flips, 360s, etc). Went back to Spitfire F4, but tried the OG classics in 52mm 99a. Hated them. Square edge threw off all my flat ground tricks, and they felt super rough riding from spot to spot. Went back to Dragons, but this time the 52mm V1, hoping that the smaller wheel would revert better. They didn't. Went to Spitfire F4 Classics in 97a hoping that it would be a good middle ground. They were okay honestly. Definitely prefer a round edge wheel, but they still were a little sticky for my taste. They were good for 90% of things, and my flat ground improved, but still not "it". Finally landed back on Spitfire F4, but this time 54mm 99a Radials. Hoping the slightly wider wheel helps smoothen things, while having the slide of the 99a duro, and the round edge for flat ground.
[close]
And then probably it will happen the same that's happening to me: you'll want classics
[close]

classics are the best.

dragons do not slide very well, in my experience. i just want them to slide on downhill speed checks, and for me, they do not. dragons do feel excellent for my old joints/bones, and pushing to and fro is lovely.

i’ve been skating 52 v1 x97s and they are nice. haven’t taken them down a fast hill yet.

i’ve been contemplating skating a set of 55 dragons, for transportation, and then once at the skatepark, changing to 52 classic f4s.
feels precious.
[close]
Really interested in your experience downhill with x97’s.

And get two sets of bearings and just quick-switch the wheels out 8)

@JM
@Zane

tried my x97, v1 shape, 52mm, on a rugged downhill. they were alright. speed checks worked.

then tried my 55 dragons. waaaay faster, much less speed check. uncomfortably fast in parts of the road.
for me, both wheels slide around 180, but the 90 back to straight is more difficult, for me, than say f4s.

ended up just cruising around on the dragons. they are kinda like sweatpants or slip on shoes…just lazy/easy.

if the x97s were a bigger wheel, i’m sure they would have been the move. i got these small and thin to ride on low trucks, so not exactly hill bomb optimized.

hope this isn’t as useless as it reads back to me

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #1896 on: February 26, 2024, 05:33:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

[close]

For 8-8.4 I do 149 +/- some axel washers. 144 never piqued curiosity for fear of losing precious hanger meat.

LeDave

• Rep: 30
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #1897 on: February 26, 2024, 05:43:30 PM »
I am building my first board, I am currently using a complete by Element.

So I've created a list of what I am going to do. I already have some of the parts and am planning to buy the rest by the end of this week. What do you guys think?

Deck - DGK Tuner 8.25" (Already have)

Truck - Element Component 5.5" (Already have)

Bushings - Independent 92 Medium/Hard (Blue)

Bearings - Bronson Speed Co. RAW

Wheels - Ricta 52mm Cloud 78a

Other - Bones Speed Cream lubricant
   Independent blue 1" (Phillips bolts) (Already have)
   Grizzly black grip tape (Already have)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1898 on: February 26, 2024, 06:06:13 PM »

So I've created a list of what I am going to do. I already have some of the parts and am planning to buy the rest by the end of this week. What do you guys think?

I'm going to assume this isn't a troll account so I'll reply.

Your current setup is fine as is if you're just starting out. The 2 things I'd change are the Element trucks and Ricta Clouds. Element trucks are fine for beginners / kids, their bushings are incredibly soft to account for kids not weighing anything so they can turn. Adults will find the bushings way too mushy and the board will feel unstable when you're learning to push around and get your balance.

Ricta Clouds are some of the best wheels for cruising but I wouldn't recommend them for parks or if you plan to learn how to pop your deck for tricks. The 78a formula is way too soft resulting in a board that feels bouncy instead of snappy.

I'd recommend:
DGK deck which you already have
Indy 144 or Thunder 148 Standards - stick with the big brand trucks, a pair will last you forever
Spitfire 54mm 99a Conical / Conical Full / Bones 54mm X99 V5 - better all purpose wheel
Bones Reds / Spitfire Cheapshots for bearings - cheap bearings are just as good as their pricier counterpart, though some would argue Bones Swiss last forever and are worth the money

Other stuff - I'd skip the speed cream and Indy bushings, don't need them right now and that money is better spent of good trucks or wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LeDave

« Reply #1899 on: February 26, 2024, 06:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Your current setup is fine as is if you're just starting out. The 2 things I'd change are the Element trucks and Ricta Clouds. Element trucks are fine for beginners / kids, their bushings are incredibly soft to account for kids not weighing anything so they can turn. Adults will find the bushings way too mushy and the board will feel unstable when you're learning to push around and get your balance.

Ricta Clouds are some of the best wheels for cruising but I wouldn't recommend them for parks or if you plan to learn how to pop your deck for tricks. The 78a formula is way too soft resulting in a board that feels bouncy instead of snappy.

I'd recommend:
Indy 144 or Thunder 148 Standards - stick with the big brand trucks, a pair will last you forever
Spitfire 54mm 99a Conical / Conical Full / Bones 54mm X99 V5 - better all purpose wheel
Bones Reds / Spitfire Cheapshots for bearings - cheap bearings are just as good as their pricier counterpart, though some would argue Bones Swiss last forever and are worth the money

Other stuff - I'd skip the speed cream and Indy bushings, don't need them right now and that money is better spent of good trucks or wheels.

If I skip the bushings and get a new set of Independent Stage 11 trucks, how is the bushings that come installed on it? The bushings that came with my Element trucks are absolutely horrible, way too soft and I tend to bounce from left to right of the deck, which is why I thought about swapping them out with Independent bushings.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1900 on: February 26, 2024, 06:30:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd recommend:

[close]

If I skip the bushings and get a new set of Independent Stage 11 trucks, how is the bushings that come installed on it? The bushings that came with my Element trucks are absolutely horrible, way too soft and I tend to bounce from left to right of the deck, which is why I thought about swapping them out with Independent bushings.

The stock bushings on quality brand trucks (Indy, Thunder, Venture, Ace) are perfectly fine for 99% of beginners, some start out hard and soften with time and some are the other way around. Indy start out soft and harden so give them time to break in (and adjust your kingpin nut tightness) before you decide to buy new bushings. Bushings and pivot cup madness is next level madness compared to trucks / decks / wheels.

If there's anything the 100s of post on this thread prove - you can't buy your skill with gear. The only thing that will help you progress is time on the board, failing, eating shit and making incremental progress.

But having the right gear is a good starting point, and the "right" gear is the one you spend the most time on and adapting to.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LeDave

« Reply #1901 on: February 26, 2024, 06:40:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd recommend:

[close]

[close]

The stock bushings on quality brand trucks (Indy, Thunder, Venture, Ace) are perfectly fine for 99% of beginners, some start out hard and soften with time and some are the other way around. Indy start out soft and harden so give them time to break in (and adjust your kingpin nut tightness) before you decide to buy new bushings. Bushings and pivot cup madness is next level madness compared to trucks / decks / wheels.

If there's anything the 100s of post on this thread prove - you can't buy your skill with gear. The only thing that will help you progress is time on the board, failing, eating shit and making incremental progress.

But having the right gear is a good starting point, and the "right" gear is the one you spend the most time on and adapting to.

Thanks, greatly appreciated. New updated list.

Truck - Independent Stage 11 (144 size)

Bearings - Bones Reds

Wheels - Spitfire 52-54mm Conical 99a (Sizes vary because if I can find them at my local stores)

Other - Independent blue 1" (Phillips bolts) (Already have)

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #1902 on: February 26, 2024, 11:49:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd recommend:

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bearings - Bones Reds

Wheels - Spitfire 52-54mm Conical 99a (Sizes vary because if I can find them at my local stores)

That's an alright setup.

One thing: if the ground you'll be skating on is mostly rough, I'd pick a wheel from the larger end of the spectrum (54mm, even 55mm). It'll make pushing around feel less painful. 52mm or smaller hard wheels on rough terrain can be, well, rough.

Good luck, skate hard!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1903 on: February 27, 2024, 02:37:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd recommend:

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bearings - Bones Reds

[close]

That's an alright setup.

One thing: if the ground you'll be skating on is mostly rough, I'd pick a wheel from the larger end of the spectrum (54mm, even 55mm). It'll make pushing around feel less painful. 52mm or smaller hard wheels on rough terrain can be, well, rough.

Good luck, skate hard!

Based on the video he shared it looks like smooth concrete skate parks, Conical or Conical Fulls should do just fine.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

spacial_profiling

« Reply #1904 on: February 27, 2024, 03:11:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

[close]

[close]
For 8-8.4 I do 149 +/- some axel washers. 144 never piqued curiosity for fear of losing precious hanger meat.
144’s are a make believe marketing gimmick. 8.25 trucks are a full joke and ploy imo based on historical truck sizes offered, name/size changes to coincide with industry trends, etc. 144 are a joke to me because they seem like too specific of a truck made and marketed toward one specific size board. Too specific at 8.25 measurement of a truck for me. Feels weird.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 472
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1905 on: February 27, 2024, 04:12:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
144’s are a make believe marketing gimmick. 8.25 trucks are a full joke and ploy imo based on historical truck sizes offered, name/size changes to coincide with industry trends, etc. 144 are a joke to me because they seem like too specific of a truck made and marketed toward one specific size board. Too specific at 8.25 measurement of a truck for me. Feels weird.

144/148/5.6 feel fantastic on 8.125

rikki

« Reply #1906 on: February 27, 2024, 05:54:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

This. 144 being a "joke" and a "gimmick" gives off strong old man yelling at clouds vibes. 144s and other 8.25 trucks can be great for everything from 8.125 to 8.38 boards, depending on personal taste. Not all skaters are stuck in ruts.

spacial_profiling

« Reply #1907 on: February 27, 2024, 07:16:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

This. 144 being a "joke" and a "gimmick" gives off strong old man yelling at clouds vibes. 144s and other 8.25 trucks can be great for everything from 8.125 to 8.38 boards, depending on personal taste. Not all skaters are stuck in ruts.
Lol I flip 8in just fine on 149 (Taylor Nawrocki style). But yes, old man yelling at the industry clouds of flooded product. Prob need some inverted mid 144’s hollows to fix my skate game. I call it a joke because trying to retroactively corner a market of 8.25 skaters past the popularity of their resurgence (by what’s now considered a toy company no less) can be taken as being out of touch, hence a “joke”. God I’m aging myself. Using ‘Drew to market it too like they made the truck for him to try and tap in to that market of madness, which is all they generated. Looking at Venture site 5.6 is still marketed as NEW. I’m sure 147’s are not far off in the timeline.

rikki

« Reply #1908 on: February 27, 2024, 08:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Lol I flip 8in just fine on 149 (Taylor Nawrocki style). But yes, old man yelling at the industry clouds of flooded product. Prob need some inverted mid 144’s hollows to fix my skate game. I call it a joke because trying to retroactively corner a market of 8.25 skaters past the popularity of their resurgence (by what’s now considered a toy company no less) can be taken as being out of touch, hence a “joke”. God I’m aging myself. Using ‘Drew to market it too like they made the truck for him to try and tap in to that market of madness, which is all they generated. Looking at Venture site 5.6 is still marketed as NEW. I’m sure 147’s are not far off in the timeline.

Fair enough brother, but I'd much more call things like the Indy Stage IV's a gimmick and unnecessary addition to the oversaturated market as compared to 8.25 trucks which managed to fill a real rational need for people who don't want to either magic carpet nor hot rod.

I've had a good ol' time on my 144s for all I know, and as said, they are perfect for an 8.125 deck.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1909 on: February 27, 2024, 08:08:47 AM »
Dam are my af1 44’s just a gimmick?? It’s all a lie??!!!!

spacial_profiling

« Reply #1910 on: February 27, 2024, 08:43:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Have/had 3 set-ups

Setup 1
Indy Hollows 144

Setup 2
Thunder Titanium 159

Old Setup
Indy Hollows 144

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Fair enough brother, but I'd much more call things like the Indy Stage IV's a gimmick and unnecessary addition to the oversaturated market as compared to 8.25 trucks which managed to fill a real rational need for people who don't want to either magic carpet nor hot rod.

I've had a good ol' time on my 144s for all I know, and as said, they are perfect for an 8.125 deck.
Definitely, without a doubt. Actually kinda cringe to me when I see people skating ‘em. Selling old geometry is definitely a gimmick. Does not align with a business model or years of progression and development.

Point taken on the 144/8in. I should give ‘er a go. Probably will perform better than 149. I honestly would be happier with less options. Less madness.

spacial_profiling

« Reply #1911 on: February 27, 2024, 08:57:49 AM »
Dam are my af1 44’s just a gimmick?? It’s all a lie??!!!!
Lmaooo. Yes. Yes it is.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1912 on: February 27, 2024, 04:27:06 PM »

I just went back over previous posts to check and see where you were at, so as per others comments on here, I mostly agree with everything said so far.

Quite simply the harder bushings might be the main thing that would really help you, as both those Element completes and most stock bushings in any brand trucks are 90 duro, so although they all do firm up after a few sessions, they are all going to be fairly soft compared to what might be best on 92 or even 94 duro bushings for your size, balance, etc.

I have a lot of those Element boards for kids to ride at the indoor skatepark I am at and have tried all the parts on my own setups, as well as skated them just to see how well they hold up - better than I would have thought actually, but yes they are a beginner to basic intermediate complete, so although things will last perfectly well for starting out, they will only get you so far.

That said, buying a whole pro complete is not necessary, but I would not stop you from getting whatever you wanted in that regard, eg you have all the top brands listed there now, which is pretty much what I ride anyway, as do many others.

Lastly, just so you don't go down a rabbit hole about things, learning to stop, start, stand on the board and lean to heel or toe sides, pushing, rolling faster, and turning both with lifting up as well as just carving all takes time, so from what I had seen of your video, you are already well on your way, which is good to see.  It really is just about putting in the time and getting comfortable on a skateboard, rolling around and building up muscles that might not otherwise get used a whole lot doing other things and taking care not to go too hard or try anything too quickly that could result in injury or other issues.

Whatever your board setup, it will not magically make you skate significantly better or worse, but it can help a whole lot having good quality gear you can get used to, hence more than anything, the harder bushings comment to start with.

Hope that helps anyway.

Good times ahead!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • sup dog
« Reply #1913 on: February 28, 2024, 06:06:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First madness of my life; went through too many wheels within the span of two months.

Started off with wanting to try Dragons after riding Spitfire F4 for as long as they've been around. Bought the 54mm V4 Dragons and loved them at first. Spot to spot was so much faster, and I liked the rebound. They definitely don't slide as well as everyone wants you to believe. Especially felt it on flat ground tricks that required a little bit of a revert (backslide flips, 360s, etc). Went back to Spitfire F4, but tried the OG classics in 52mm 99a. Hated them. Square edge threw off all my flat ground tricks, and they felt super rough riding from spot to spot. Went back to Dragons, but this time the 52mm V1, hoping that the smaller wheel would revert better. They didn't. Went to Spitfire F4 Classics in 97a hoping that it would be a good middle ground. They were okay honestly. Definitely prefer a round edge wheel, but they still were a little sticky for my taste. They were good for 90% of things, and my flat ground improved, but still not "it". Finally landed back on Spitfire F4, but this time 54mm 99a Radials. Hoping the slightly wider wheel helps smoothen things, while having the slide of the 99a duro, and the round edge for flat ground.
[close]
And then probably it will happen the same that's happening to me: you'll want classics
[close]

classics are the best.

dragons do not slide very well, in my experience. i just want them to slide on downhill speed checks, and for me, they do not. dragons do feel excellent for my old joints/bones, and pushing to and fro is lovely.

i’ve been skating 52 v1 x97s and they are nice. haven’t taken them down a fast hill yet.

i’ve been contemplating skating a set of 55 dragons, for transportation, and then once at the skatepark, changing to 52 classic f4s.
feels precious.
[close]

[close]

@JM
@Zane

tried my x97, v1 shape, 52mm, on a rugged downhill. they were alright. speed checks worked.

then tried my 55 dragons. waaaay faster, much less speed check. uncomfortably fast in parts of the road.
for me, both wheels slide around 180, but the 90 back to straight is more difficult, for me, than say f4s.

ended up just cruising around on the dragons. they are kinda like sweatpants or slip on shoes…just lazy/easy.

if the x97s were a bigger wheel, i’m sure they would have been the move. i got these small and thin to ride on low trucks, so not exactly hill bomb optimized.

Thanks dog, that is most certainly useful in case I ever feel the urge to powerslide going downhill.  The powerslides I try on flat smooth concrete in the x97's, V1's are really sticky and don't work well most of the time.   I do miss the SPF Bones in that regard.  Downside of f4 99's in smooth park concrete is they are not as fast as either SPF or x97's.  (x97's are suprisingly fast on smooth concrete!)
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1914 on: February 28, 2024, 07:28:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

classics are the best.

feels precious.
[close]

[close]

@JM
@Zane

[close]
Thanks dog, that is most certainly useful in case I ever feel the urge to powerslide going downhill.  The powerslides I try on flat smooth concrete in the x97's, V1's are really sticky and don't work well most of the time.   I do miss the SPF Bones in that regard.  Downside of f4 99's in smooth park concrete is they are not as fast as either SPF or x97's.  (x97's are suprisingly fast on smooth concrete!)

my major malfunction seems to be that i really want to ‘speed check’ power slide, whatever, downhill….because im scared and going too fast. i live in a place with horrible old roads, the dragons feel awesome. until i start going too fast.
f4s are great for speed checks, and slower. if i skate a massive wheel (56 radial fulls let’s say) the f4s do well enough.
but.
if a wheel is good on these shit streets, then said wheel most likely has ‘orrible drawbacks once at the spot (too big, too heavy, too soft, etc etc).
big tiny baby i am.

i’ll to try the x97s at the park. i never skate there.

ggrant

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1915 on: March 11, 2024, 06:11:40 PM »
I'm finally getting back into skating this spring after 3+ years being away from it.

have a dilemma building my setup; I wanna step away from the typical Reds and go more premium, so I went through the bearings gear thread, seem to be a lot of people loving Quantum Atoms/Isotopes, but I could not a read lot of long term reviews comparing them to Swiss on them for durability/feel/maintenance and instead compares on cost to performance. the kicker is I have a hookup that has Bones Swiss for the same price I can get Quantum Atoms/Isotopes.

Comparing Quantum ceramics vs tried and true Swiss to slam in 99a Full Conical F4s is driving me a bit mad, anyone skate both a ton (I primarily do concrete park/cruising, but any input is good imho) and have an opinion on what's best?

Shellac

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1916 on: March 11, 2024, 06:31:18 PM »
I'm finally getting back into skating this spring after 3+ years being away from it.

have a dilemma building my setup; I wanna step away from the typical Reds and go more premium, so I went through the bearings gear thread, seem to be a lot of people loving Quantum Atoms/Isotopes, but I could not a read lot of long term reviews comparing them to Swiss on them for durability/feel/maintenance and instead compares on cost to performance. the kicker is I have a hookup that has Bones Swiss for the same price I can get Quantum Atoms/Isotopes.

Comparing Quantum ceramics vs tried and true Swiss to slam in 99a Full Conical F4s is driving me a bit mad, anyone skate both a ton (I primarily do concrete park/cruising, but any input is good imho) and have an opinion on what's best?

Spitfire Cheapshots

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #1917 on: March 11, 2024, 06:59:44 PM »

Can't go wrong. I've used Quantums and Bones a lot over the last couple of years. If I had to definitively state what's worked best, longest for me, its Swiss 6. But Isotopes are a very close second and have an appeal as a smaller low key company ran by skate nerds.

ggrant

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1918 on: March 11, 2024, 07:03:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can't go wrong. I've used Quantums and Bones a lot over the last couple of years. If I had to definitively state what's worked best, longest for me, its Swiss 6. But Isotopes are a very close second and have an appeal as a smaller low key company ran by skate nerds.

Dope, might give the Isotopes a solid shot then, since I can only get my hands on Swiss 7-balls.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1919 on: March 12, 2024, 02:19:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Dope, might give the Isotopes a solid shot then, since I can only get my hands on Swiss 7-balls.
For me is swiss 6, swiss, HKD 5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.