Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 41747 times)

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2022, 02:42:13 PM »
Anyone who's been skating them have an update?
Ask the 2 people Sinclair has managed to film skating them so far.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair new brand)
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2022, 04:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote
I feel the name is not really doing it any favors. Feels like the name that would be on a bootleg Bobby Puleo or Koston board
[close]

The cheap in house brand trucks that go on Alien Workshop trucks are called Xenia. I'm sure they're shit but using that name got me stoked.

Damn i want some Xenias for the shelf

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2022, 09:23:20 PM »

I was gonna bite during the sales, but knowing a hollow IKP is coming, I'm gonna wait.

If they were smart, they'd release a standalone version of that pin if it's indy/royal compatible...

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2022, 12:54:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was gonna bite during the sales, but knowing a hollow IKP is coming, I'm gonna wait.

Sure, it's super smart to sell the Kingpin separate for a fraction of the price of the whole truck when its the only thing making their trucks worth buying.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »

Set my ikp version up last night. I’m gonna try and get a little session on them after work. I’ll post a first impression if I do.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sure, it's super smart to sell the Kingpin separate for a fraction of the price of the whole truck when its the only thing making their trucks worth buying.

Not everyone is interested in an IKP? You do realize they sell standard trucks as well, right?

Why not complain they're selling a two pack of bushings, one soft and one hard as well?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2022, 01:20:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Set my ikp version up last night. I’m gonna try and get a little session on them after work. I’ll post a first impression if I do.

Great stuff!

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 462
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2022/12/01/where-the-hell-did-slappy-trucks-come-from/

Jenkem interview is up.
major props for him to do everything basically on his own, but damn he's got some tough competition

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2022, 03:20:00 PM »
5 pages in and nobody has given Sinclair credit for just listing them by size in inches. Thank you Mike- It’s what the people want.
In any case I have some 8.75 on the way. See what happens…

ish_wav

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2022, 05:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had my first session on them today. I was honestly surprised at how nice they felt. They grind pretty smooth. I skated a circle rail at my local. I’m coming from forged 144 hollows so they felt a lot heavier which took some getting used to. I tried them on a hockey deck but I think I would much rather want to try them on a mellow baker deck. I’m gonna keep skating them, so far I think they feel great.

Edit: I weighed them compared to a forged hollow 144.
Edit 2: so the baseplate seems pretty identical to an Indy baseplate minus a cutout in the middle to reduce weight. The hanger is more close to an Ace hanger from what I can see. I don’t have any af1 hangers but that’s the closest I can see. Oh, the bottom bushing is identical in size to an orange Indy bushing. The top bushing is shorter. Didn’t measure the bushings.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:03:29 PM by ish_wav »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2022, 07:04:11 PM »
major props for him to do everything basically on his own, but damn he's got some tough competition

For sure!!

That was a good read actually.

I went back to check after the 9" truck size comment in there and sure enough he did have them out at first, but they sold out super quick, as have most wider trucks in the inverted version, but still have most sizes in the regular version on SW at least.

This was the quote from that I was referring to:

The only “scientific” person I hit was Paul Schmitt. I gave him a set of 9-inch ones. He set them up and gave me great feedback.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2022, 07:08:32 PM »
Keen to know what they turn like or how stable they are.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2022, 07:10:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure!!

That was a good read actually.

I went back to check after the 9" truck size comment in there and sure enough he did have them out at first, but they sold out super quick, as have most wider trucks in the inverted version, but still have most sizes in the regular version on SW at least.

This was the quote from that I was referring to:

The only “scientific” person I hit was Paul Schmitt. I gave him a set of 9-inch ones. He set them up and gave me great feedback.

"Needs more nanotubes"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2022, 12:05:21 AM »
So sounds like you could put them on an indy forged baseplate and then they'd be a little lower and wouldnt say SLAPPY on the baseplate

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2022, 06:47:14 AM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2022, 08:12:58 AM »
So were they too loose or not? Daewon loose? Really?

1/4 turn and just under a 1/2 turn to get them where he likes them and he skate pretty loose?

Doesn't doesn't add up ;) 1/4 turn ain't fixing Daewon loose...

54mm and no wheel bite sounds pretty enticing however.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 08:58:02 AM by Xen »

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2022, 08:20:15 AM »
I'm totally intrigued now after watching that video, Thanks!  I've been running Indy mid IKP baseplates with Ace classic hangers and 1/8 risers for the past year basically, and loving them. I take off the bottom washer and they're super responsive. The Indy high type baseplate with an inverted kingpin and Ace type hangers (sans risers) sounds like the perfect substitute for my frankentrucks.  I don't see any 8.75 or 9 IKP's  in stock anywhere but will keep a look out and might have to give em a try

ish_wav

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2022, 10:30:06 AM »
So were they too loose or not? Daewon loose? Really?

1/4 turn and just under a 1/2 turn to get them where he likes them and he skate pretty loose?

Doesn't doesn't add up ;) 1/4 turn ain't fixing Daewon loose...

Mine were not “daewon loose” I did not adjust them whatsoever. I skate medium for the most part and these felt only slightly looser than what I normally ride. I do agree with the video in that they felt pretty surfy. I haven’t ridden af1s so I can’t compare them to that.
54mm and no wheel bite sounds pretty enticing however.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2022, 07:51:23 AM »
It would be sick if he also dropped a low and it was called a nollie crook….

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2022, 07:55:54 AM »

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2022, 08:12:22 AM »
Just placed an order for the shop through south shore.
I’m gonna set some up and give my feedback soonish. We should have 8.25,8.5,8.75 standard and 8.25,8.5 inverted kingpin.
I’ll post when they’re available on the site.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2022, 12:05:24 PM »
some thoughts on them from this guy: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CluqW_9gmlI/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

from that link for the lazy:

"This was the most that I could get today due to a bad bruised heal, but here are some of my initial thoughts on the trucks.

- The turn is very good. Definitely better than Indy but a tad less sharp than the turn of an Ace. The bushings and pivot cups seem to be very well made and felt good right away.
- The grind feels identical to that of the Ace AF1. Very good right off the bat and continued to get better.
- The kingpin clearance is amazing. I had to really try to dip feebles to even touch it a little bit (I got the inverted version).
- The pinch felt better to me than both Aces and Indy’s but not quite as good as Thunders.

The only two things I’d like to see from them in the future is a version with forged baseplates and hollow axles. The plates would lower them a couple of millimeters which would be sick."

With Hollows being in testing, I'll def hold out..I swear the more I hear about them the more they sound like Theeve's characteristics (turn/pinch)...lower would be nicer tho...but not too much of a change from forged indys I usually ride.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 12:12:12 PM by Xen »

Dildolunch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2022, 02:22:40 PM »
So if anyone is curious slappys add an extra 3 5/16 to your WB. Chose wisely.

IpathCats

« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2022, 02:57:33 PM »
Looks like they're using a similar bushing style as Lurpiv. That short fat top bushing must be what gives you those anti wheelbite properties.

Nemesis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2022, 06:02:25 PM »
Skated the ST1s over the weekend primarily on transition. these grind like af1s , turn like thunders, and have a similar height to indy standards. i don't know if others have had a similar experience. not sure if it's the cold weather or the initial break-in period but i had to loosen them a bit. Other than the bushing slipping the top washer i personally think the trucks are pretty nice.

IpathCats

« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2022, 05:22:50 AM »
Skated the ST1s over the weekend primarily on transition. these grind like af1s , turn like thunders, and have a similar height to indy standards. i don't know if others have had a similar experience. not sure if it's the cold weather or the initial break-in period but i had to loosen them a bit. Other than the bushing slipping the top washer i personally think the trucks are pretty nice.

Although im not really interested in trying them since im actually happy with my setup (holiday miracle) they do sound fun for low impact street and like the name implies, slappys.

I'm curious as to how stable they are at higher speeds/skating bigger stuff. a twitchy thunder turn plus added height would lead me to believe that stability is probably their weak point.

Not hating, just a surface level observation based on shit i've read on here. Everything has pros/cons.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2022, 11:21:35 AM »
Low impact street?

Just about any truck can handle low impact street.

There’s literally nothing out saying that this truck can’t handle literally everything; categorizing them early without data proving otherwise just doesn’t make any sense.

IpathCats

« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2022, 11:49:42 AM »
Low impact street?

Just about any truck can handle low impact street.

There’s literally nothing out saying that this truck can’t handle literally everything; categorizing them early without data proving otherwise just doesn’t make any sense.

Was talking about what they were suited for, not whether or not they could handle it. One context implies a strength, the other would imply a weakness.

The height and and turn characteristics so far have me questioning how stable they are. Not making any definitive statements, just openly discussing things.

Sorry if that upset you or something haha.

Nemesis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2022, 12:27:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Although im not really interested in trying them since im actually happy with my setup (holiday miracle) they do sound fun for low impact street and like the name implies, slappys.

I'm curious as to how stable they are at higher speeds/skating bigger stuff. a twitchy thunder turn plus added height would lead me to believe that stability is probably their weak point.

Not hating, just a surface level observation based on shit i've read on here. Everything has pros/cons.

These are fairly stable. not the kind of weird Ace AF1 tetter totter where you're spending half your time just trying to maintain balance while avoiding wheel bite. while the turn isn't as responsive as i would personally like, it's not bad.

I think what stops the wheel bite more or less is just that you cant really get as deep of a turn compared to indy/ace. You tip over on 2 wheels prior to getting wheel bite. just for reference im riding on new 56 mm conicals (setup same day as the slappies).