Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 38963 times)

IpathCats

Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2022, 12:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skated the ST1s over the weekend primarily on transition. these grind like af1s , turn like thunders, and have a similar height to indy standards. i don't know if others have had a similar experience. not sure if it's the cold weather or the initial break-in period but i had to loosen them a bit. Other than the bushing slipping the top washer i personally think the trucks are pretty nice.
[close]

Although im not really interested in trying them since im actually happy with my setup (holiday miracle) they do sound fun for low impact street and like the name implies, slappys.

I'm curious as to how stable they are at higher speeds/skating bigger stuff. a twitchy thunder turn plus added height would lead me to believe that stability is probably their weak point.

Not hating, just a surface level observation based on shit i've read on here. Everything has pros/cons.
[close]

These are fairly stable. not the kind of weird Ace AF1 tetter totter where you're spending half your time just trying to maintain balance while avoiding wheel bite. while the turn isn't as responsive as i would personally like, it's not bad.

I think what stops the wheel bite more or less is just that you cant really get as deep of a turn compared to indy/ace. You tip over on 2 wheels prior to getting wheel bite. just for reference im riding on new 56 mm conicals (setup same day as the slappies).

do you skate big spots or particularly fast?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2022, 12:52:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Low impact street?

Just about any truck can handle low impact street.

There’s literally nothing out saying that this truck can’t handle literally everything; categorizing them early without data proving otherwise just doesn’t make any sense.
[close]

Was talking about what they were suited for, not whether or not they could handle it. One context implies a strength, the other would imply a weakness.

The height and and turn characteristics so far have me questioning how stable they are. Not making any definitive statements, just openly discussing things.

Sorry if that upset you or something haha.

But if you haven't ridden them, how can you categorizing them for what they are good for? Based on one video and a handful of comments?

It's like saying 'wheels are good for rolling or flatland', knowhati'msaying?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:13:12 PM by Xen »

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2022, 01:37:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skated the ST1s over the weekend primarily on transition. these grind like af1s , turn like thunders, and have a similar height to indy standards. i don't know if others have had a similar experience. not sure if it's the cold weather or the initial break-in period but i had to loosen them a bit. Other than the bushing slipping the top washer i personally think the trucks are pretty nice.
[close]

Although im not really interested in trying them since im actually happy with my setup (holiday miracle) they do sound fun for low impact street and like the name implies, slappys.

I'm curious as to how stable they are at higher speeds/skating bigger stuff. a twitchy thunder turn plus added height would lead me to believe that stability is probably their weak point.

Not hating, just a surface level observation based on shit i've read on here. Everything has pros/cons.
[close]

These are fairly stable. not the kind of weird Ace AF1 tetter totter where you're spending half your time just trying to maintain balance while avoiding wheel bite. while the turn isn't as responsive as i would personally like, it's not bad.

I think what stops the wheel bite more or less is just that you cant really get as deep of a turn compared to indy/ace. You tip over on 2 wheels prior to getting wheel bite. just for reference im riding on new 56 mm conicals (setup same day as the slappies).

Damn. That sounds like Krux.  :-X

Nemesis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2022, 01:38:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

do you skate big spots or particularly fast?

i'd say id skate somewhat fast, not a liam pace or dennis busenitz speed but i definitely try to push my 50s/ 5-0s/ lip/tailslides on transition. usually only skate swiss ceramics or raws. big for me is like 6-7ft transition. im not really a technical rail or ledge skater.

Nemesis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn. That sounds like Krux.  :-X

TBH i dont have a reference since i havent skated a pair since 2010ish. but i could see this being valid. im honestly waiting on the soft bushing drop. For reference i before slappys i skated indy standards with conical hards (indy). bolt was tightened to about the same as a default stock indy (1-1.5 threads showing).

boogs

« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2022, 05:42:08 PM »
Just placed an order for the shop through south shore.
I’m gonna set some up and give my feedback soonish. We should have 8.25,8.5,8.75 standard and 8.25,8.5 inverted kingpin.
I’ll post when they’re available on the site.
I probably packed your order today

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2022, 08:33:38 PM »
Had my fourth sessions on the Slappy trucks today. I almost gave up on them because they were too squirrelly for my taste but I did something I said I wouldn’t do to them. I put Indy orange aftermarket bushings in them and they feel GREAT. The top bushing was a couple mils bigger and I think it made a difference. They don’t feel as squirrels to me and I was able to get some tricks back that I was struggling on with them. Im an awful crooked grinder but I made myself get ten in a row before I left the park tonight. I’m probably going to keep them on for a while longer since I’m really loving them after today.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2022, 06:09:50 AM »
Had my fourth sessions on the Slappy trucks today. I almost gave up on them because they were too squirrelly for my taste but I did something I said I wouldn’t do to them. I put Indy orange aftermarket bushings in them and they feel GREAT. The top bushing was a couple mils bigger and I think it made a difference. They don’t feel as squirrels to me and I was able to get some tricks back that I was struggling on with them. Im an awful crooked grinder but I made myself get ten in a row before I left the park tonight. I’m probably going to keep them on for a while longer since I’m really loving them after today.

When you saw squirrelly, what are are you comparing them too?
Can you compare them to an ACE?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2022, 08:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve honestly never ridden ace, but from what I’ve read, that’s what i would say I meant by squirrelly. I didn’t have them super loose, but I was getting what felt like speed wobbles at moderate to low speeds. They still do it with the Indy bushings but in a more manageable way.

IpathCats

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2022, 11:39:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve honestly never ridden ace, but from what I’ve read, that’s what i would say I meant by squirrelly. I didn’t have them super loose, but I was getting what felt like speed wobbles at moderate to low speeds. They still do it with the Indy bushings but in a more manageable way.

When I tried out lurpivs they felt REALLY weird until the bushings broke in. like more so than usual, and they share a similar short/fat top bushing with slappy's so maybe thats the feeling? The only way i can describe it, is it was as if my trucks were turning independently of each other, almost like i had coaster wheels (think ripstick) on my board. thankfully they broke in pretty quickly and that went away. Was the feeling you experienced like that?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2022, 03:01:42 PM »
I think GH reviewed Lurpivs and Aces and his breakdown sounded considerably different. 

IpathCats

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2022, 05:49:52 PM »
I think GH reviewed Lurpivs and Aces and his breakdown sounded considerably different.

I won't speak for him.

I hate on my own terms.

KinkyRailsRailed4u

• Rep: 87
  • Here For Friendship :)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2022, 06:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

When I tried out lurpivs they felt REALLY weird until the bushings broke in. like more so than usual, and they share a similar short/fat top bushing with slappy's so maybe thats the feeling? The only way i can describe it, is it was as if my trucks were turning independently of each other, almost like i had coaster wheels (think ripstick) on my board. thankfully they broke in pretty quickly and that went away. Was the feeling you experienced like that?

Wonder if it has to do with Lurpiv using a tall boardside bushing and a short top bushing. This combo tends to lead to a snappy self-centering but surf-y feel.

Anyways, I wrote a skate joke I'm sure you'll love: Why did the bushing break up with his girlfriend? Because he wasn't bearing the relationship anymore. haha
Kids don't know about kindness these days.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2022, 09:53:19 AM »
I would love to try these. I like Sinclair. I watched his 9 club like 2.5x and took a ton of samples. The olliers release never happened and i can't remember exactly what he said. The episode was full of killer power violence samples.
I probably should get on that shit. Skating needs way more slamming PV always. Send the tracks to my favorite skaters in 2023 see if I can get in some YouTube edits.

That would be the shit.
Anyway He said something about being an Ollier. That was the quote that got me.  He and his friends just would be driving to the spot and someone would be like "PULL OVER! We need to Ollie that shit immediately.

I relate 110. We also we're of this tribe. Go Sinclair!!!!

I definitely can't wait to try
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2022, 01:34:10 PM »
Just figured I would share we got them in stock.
https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Trucks/Slappy.htm

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2022, 07:55:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I won't speak for him.

I hate on my own terms.

GH said these were outrageously heavy.  Then he said heavy like Aces or something which I don’t find to be that heavy so who knows 

IpathCats

« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2022, 12:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I won't speak for him.

I hate on my own terms.
[close]

GH said these were outrageously heavy.  Then he said heavy like Aces or something which I don’t find to be that heavy so who knows

I feel like aces kinda need a bit of heft since the wb is so short that they lighten up your pop feel a lot.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2022, 03:48:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I won't speak for him.

I hate on my own terms.
[close]

Ace have a light feeling pop and leverage because of the wheelbase offset, but in terms of actual weight, an Ace Classic weighs about the same as Indy Standard of the same size (doesn't exist though), and it doesn't really get much heavier than that.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2023, 07:50:06 AM »
Just figured I would share we got them in stock.
https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Trucks/Slappy.htm

considering their price its at the same level as indy and even higher than some ACE and ventures I see no reason to even try this ones

they look better than some other indy knockoffs out there but its still an indy knockoff

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2023, 12:57:58 PM »
If all you are doing are actual slappies, weight will mean nothing.

Sinclair was, afterall, skating curbs right before/during covid)..

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2023, 03:08:45 PM »
Ben DeGros should try them out first.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2023, 06:27:58 AM »
Hollow IKP (and axle) coming Spring 2023

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cne3g3apY-q/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2023, 06:54:37 AM »
My local got these but I still can't find the desire to try them

IpathCats

« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2023, 07:27:33 AM »
"no break in time"?

TF?

Wasn't Ace saying this too at one point?

Just because you like the way your bushings feel when they are new doesn't mean that they dont change and break in, pivot cups too. Dumb marketing point.

My local got these but I still can't find the desire to try them

Lol

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2023, 07:43:43 AM »
My next setup:

8.25 Slappy trucks
54mm Powerslide wheels (No-push formula)
Hillbomb bearings (Swiss ceramic hollow balls)
8.25 Trebomb deck (Ollie-shape)
1" Drill hardware (perforated)
Grip griptape (420 grit recycled nuclear waste infused)

Slappy trucks seem legit but I couldn't ride them as a slaposer that hasn't done a single slappy in his life

Edit: Sorry no fun allowed
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 08:27:39 AM by goodatmeth »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2023, 08:24:11 AM »
So don’t buy them.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2023, 11:12:27 AM »
My next setup:

8.25 Slappy trucks

Slappy trucks seem legit but I couldn't ride them as a slaposer that hasn't done a single slappy in his life

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2023, 11:32:27 AM »
BOUGHT A PAIR!

'cuz I wanna support one of the good guys......

Don't care that I already have a pair of Indys and ACES cuz I have a job and can afford $60 to try something new and enjoy slappies.

BRB....
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

IpathCats

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2023, 11:54:45 AM »
Expand Quote
My next setup:

8.25 Slappy trucks

[close]

I've been watching GoT for the first time, and just got to this episode last night..... really weird timing.

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2023, 04:41:28 PM »
BOUGHT A PAIR!

'cuz I wanna support one of the good guys......

Don't care that I already have a pair of Indys and ACES cuz I have a job and can afford $60 to try something new and enjoy slappies.

BRB....

a fellow adult with expendable income for his hobby? high five, brother!