Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 44958 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2022, 06:15:04 PM »
I believe it was in the Big brother interview in 94 that Moses referenced helping with a church group that ran "conversion" therapy type stuff. However by 2000 he talks of his religious upbringing in a Transworld interview and how he's moved away from it...so I guess that's where "are the "Red Dragons Christian" questions come from?

However I've never met the guy and am not from BC so don't have anything else to go on. Happy he was able to help get a nice looking park in - even without knowledge of tree root/dripline protection zones.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/pro-spotlight-moses-itkonen/

Red Dragons' biggest sin was using a Backstreet Boys song in a skate video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VacQoGrfgZU&ab_channel=ThrasherMagazine

Sluggo was ahead of the curve with strength and conditioning for skateboarding
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2022, 06:17:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That park looks incredible and was probably 1/3 the cost of most skateparks.
[close]
I like the setup. Its around a public tennis court. Force people to share the space.
[close]

I was thinking the same as you guys.

Even though this one seems a tad narrow, a U shape around a tennis court (L in this case) seems like a great idea for budget/space limited skatepark projects.

Seems like it's pretty good for lines if it's not packed. Can't say that about many larger and more expensive parks.

I don't know anything about red dragon (or if this other guy is connected to them) but it seems like whenever I hear about them, it's because they're doing something positive for Canadian skating. Can anyone tell me more about them? Is it a skate shop or just a clothing brand?
[close]

mostly a clothing brand but they have some pro decks too (moses, hastie, sluggo, machnau). have been a long lasting canadian skate institution that have always been involved in supporting the scene in some way.

i knew right away when i saw that park RDS was involved as they have been donating and shipping those granite ledges across the country. we got one here in my city and they are perfect. after a summer it still has no chipping at all on the edges and it grinds and slides like a dream.

https://reddragon.ca/pages/rds-bench-application

Forgot to thank you for posting this link. I'm going to get in contact with RDS and our local skate shop/municipal government and see if I can get 2 of these things placed just down the road from our horrible crusty skatepark along the wide asphalt sidewalk. Just like the picture at the bottom of the link there. It might be greedy wanting 2 of them but I will pay out of pocket and fundraise the rest to cover the 2nd one since we have very little to skate in this sad town. I don't want to get my hopes up too much but I will be pretty fucking hyped if I can make this happen.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2022, 07:06:38 PM »
Big Vancouver Carpenter fan here.

Same. I’m envious of bens skate and carpenter skills.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2022, 08:16:03 AM »
he's a respectable dedicated skater with a really honest and practical opinion of the products and content he creates

that being said his view volumen have been steadily decreasing within the years...
maybe cause of the format or he just simply doesn't have potential to go viral/its too old for kids or something along those lines unfortunately.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »
he's a respectable dedicated skater with a really honest and practical opinion of the products and content he creates

that being said his view volumen have been steadily decreasing within the years...
maybe cause of the format or he just simply doesn't have potential to go viral/its too old for kids or something along those lines unfortunately.

He makes his living with his Vancouver Carpenter channel (and it would seem a very good living, based on the house he now lives in). I think the skateboarding stuff is just for fun at this point, which is why he can sometimes go a month between new videos. And his tutorial videos on some basic tricks are more or less the definitive versions, and most have several hundred thousand views and I imagine that number grows regularly.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2022, 08:45:22 AM »
I’m just hyped that he was an older dude that got really good at skating after slowing down for a while.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I like the setup. Its around a public tennis court. Force people to share the space.

This summer I showed up to the tennis court to play tennis - because I do that too.  Right next to the courts is a half-court baskeball court and some kid had dragged a newish parking block onto it to skate. He got super nervous that I was looking at him, until I told him he really should rub-brick and paint the block, then proceeded to take him over to my car where I dug out the rub brick, paint and wax for him to use. 

Share the space.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This summer I showed up to the tennis court to play tennis - because I do that too.  Right next to the courts is a half-court baskeball court and some kid had dragged a newish parking block onto it to skate. He got super nervous that I was looking at him, until I told him he really should rub-brick and paint the block, then proceeded to take him over to my car where I dug out the rub brick, paint and wax for him to use. 

Share the space.

Good work
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2022, 12:05:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I've honestly watched more of his drywall videos than his skate videos. The guy is nice with a trowel.
[close]
You arent wrong. Dude is multi faceted. I only thought the old heads would like to see Moses speak.

I just realized I watched a bunch of his drywall videos before I found his skate videos and never connected the dots until now.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2023, 06:58:48 AM »
That ledge is a thing of beauty. Ben DeGros has always put out awesome content and does deserve his own thread.

Thanks for the post.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2023, 07:07:39 AM »
Why are Ben's videos such a warm cozy safety net? Why are they such sweet lullabies. I am traumatized. But why do I need to hear the voice of a well mannered skate man to calm me down. Why am I here. :(

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2023, 07:11:22 AM »
Why are Ben's videos such a warm cozy safety net? Why are they such sweet lullabies. I am traumatized. But why do I need to hear the voice of a well mannered skate man to calm me down. Why am I here. :(

I think it’s his voice partially. He’s very calm and measured and seems like a genuinely good person who’s been through some shit and come out the other end better

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2023, 07:17:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it’s his voice partially. He’s very calm and measured and seems like a genuinely good person who’s been through some shit and come out the other end better

Yeah, I appreciate how frank he is about having been a drug addict and getting clean.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2023, 07:30:57 AM »
He seems like a good guy indeed. I identify with people like him.
The streets await

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2023, 07:48:26 AM »
If I need to buckle down and get some work done I'll load up a bunch of his truck and wheel review videos as background noise. It's a familiar voice and the sound of wheels rolling, a tail being popped, flips being caught, ledges / rails getting grinded and slid is ASMR for me.

Then I lose focus on my task, and rewatch parts of the video, then contemplate if I should give Spitfire Classics or Tablets another go.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2023, 01:28:00 PM »
If I need to buckle down and get some work done I'll load up a bunch of his truck and wheel review videos as background noise. It's a familiar voice and the sound of wheels rolling, a tail being popped, flips being caught, ledges / rails getting grinded and slid is ASMR for me.

Then I lose focus on my task, and rewatch parts of the video, then contemplate if I should give Spitfire Classics or Tablets another go.

I will post all his vids here if thats what the people want. Is there a dedicated Ben video thread?

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2023, 02:01:47 PM »
Is there a dedicated Ben video thread?

You're here, my friend.
The streets await

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2023, 05:15:54 PM »
Well shit glad i created it then. Ill put every new one that comes up here for yall to enjoy.

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2023, 08:06:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESiWVBVP9LE

And away we go! He dont miss.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 08:16:10 PM by Natas Fauxas »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2023, 08:23:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESiWVBVP9LE

And away we go! He dont miss.

Ben has all that stuff so dialed it’s funny watching him change his setup completely and it has no impact negatively or positively on what he’s doing. 

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2023, 08:25:26 PM »
He was like the rails are messing me up then at the end does the same shit like 5 times in a row flawless. Bless him lol

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2023, 09:40:45 PM »
It's like he read my mind. I've been wanting to change my setup to a curb setup.

I was just back watching his truck videos too. Been following him forever now because he's top quality.
The streets await

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2023, 12:54:39 AM »
The only celebrity I care about. I just want him to adopt me. I'd even live under the ramp on the tennis court

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2023, 06:51:36 AM »
Ben's skatepark > The Berrics

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2023, 12:57:45 PM »
Any relation to Ted?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2023, 01:07:33 PM »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2023, 07:32:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Any relation to Ted?
[close]

His brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3on2xRnsZdk&ab_channel=J%C3%B8rgenJohannessen

So glad my friend introduced me to North after downloading it off Limewire in the mid 2000s. On rewatch the music is a tad melodramatic for how smooth his skating is, but RJD2 was on heavy rotation in my late teens / early 20s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EBJyNlye1w

Ted looked like he was more naturally gifted on the board than Ben, but who would have guess Ben would have had a late career resurgence instead of Ted. Wish Ted had a longer career after Alien Workshop and Santa Cruz.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »
I watched North like CRAZY when that first came out and was a huge fan of Ted throughout his career. so cool he has a mini section on Mosaic which was also one of my favorite videos of all time. it was kinda like how Appleyard had a mini section for his introduction to habitat on photosynthesis :)
ONTARIO CANADA

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2023, 08:47:08 AM »
I watched North like CRAZY when that first came out and was a huge fan of Ted throughout his career. so cool he has a mini section on Mosaic which was also one of my favorite videos of all time. it was kinda like how Appleyard had a mini section for his introduction to habitat on photosynthesis :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLcgVPQv7ZM&ab_channel=adonis699
Didn't watch North 2 end to end as much but I've watch Tony Ferguson's part so many times, pairs so well with Steely Dan. The KFBSTS 270 out is just *chefs kiss*.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2023, 10:14:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any relation to Ted?
[close]

His brother.
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3on2xRnsZdk&ab_channel=J%C3%B8rgenJohannessen

So glad my friend introduced me to North after downloading it off Limewire in the mid 2000s. On rewatch the music is a tad melodramatic for how smooth his skating is, but RJD2 was on heavy rotation in my late teens / early 20s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EBJyNlye1w

Ted looked like he was more naturally gifted on the board than Ben, but who would have guess Ben would have had a late career resurgence instead of Ted. Wish Ted had a longer career after Alien Workshop and Santa Cruz.

It's also odd how over half of the soundtrack to the rest of North is from Eligh, Gandalf's Beat Machine 1 and 2... I was really into Living Legends, G&E, and Grouch and Elighs solo work at that time but I was never too fond of those digital beat compalation albums.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:24:12 AM by Steely Daniel »