Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 44956 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2023, 06:41:54 PM »
That board was bonkers. Dudes pretty good. That board was bonkers tho. lol. Dude kinda looks like if Louie Barletta and Nigel Alexander had a baby. I'd kinda like to see how the base plate extenders things work in the streets. I feel like the rough cut curbs and ledges around here might tear it off.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Thebird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #301 on: April 11, 2023, 05:42:14 AM »
Looks like Ben is back on Thunders in the latest Force 58 review vid.  He needs to do the setup breakdown in each video.  He knows that is what we really want!  No escaping the madness.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #302 on: April 11, 2023, 06:15:38 AM »
Looks like Ben is back on Thunders in the latest Force 58 review vid.  He needs to do the setup breakdown in each video.  He knows that is what we really want!  No escaping the madness.
It’s hard to keep up with his madness. Dude’s setup is probably different by the time a video drops. Sure he’s already switched to Venture, then Indy, and back to Thunder lol

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2023, 06:40:13 AM »
That board was bonkers. Dudes pretty good. That board was bonkers tho. lol. Dude kinda looks like if Louie Barletta and Nigel Alexander had a baby. I'd kinda like to see how the base plate extenders things work in the streets. I feel like the rough cut curbs and ledges around here might tear it off.

I really want to try them. I am constantly waxing the sides of curbs / ledges and i end up not even doing a lot of noseslides cause i usually cant be bothered. Also, I could start riding seriously soft as fuck wheels too, like Rat Bones, hell even Hot Juice or whatever. It opens up A TON of spots in my area when you ride wheels like that. I wonder how that would affect noseslide > crook combo?
ONTARIO CANADA

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #304 on: April 11, 2023, 07:29:36 AM »
Be interesting if Ben does a board brand.  I think he wanted to not long ago.  With lowering minimums I think ps will push clutch numbers lower.  I know of two newer Midwest brands that are going that route.

he technically did with Canada Skate Shop but he sold his share in the company but occasionally rides the boards.
https://www.instagram.com/canada.skate.shop/

he has his own thoughts on woodshops (a la gifted hater video) so wouldn't expect him wanting to go with anyone else other than BBS/PS.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #305 on: April 11, 2023, 07:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Be interesting if Ben does a board brand.  I think he wanted to not long ago.  With lowering minimums I think ps will push clutch numbers lower.  I know of two newer Midwest brands that are going that route.
[close]

he technically did with Canada Skate Shop but he sold his share in the company but occasionally rides the boards.
https://www.instagram.com/canada.skate.shop/

he has his own thoughts on woodshops (a la gifted hater video) so wouldn't expect him wanting to go with anyone else other than BBS/PS.

he said he was over the idea of it. he said he felt equivalent to a kid in high school selling weed so he can smoke for free, which imo is a super accurate comparison. he never would have the kind of capital to mess with the big players and make any sort of serious dent in the game. he knows theres just no money in it, and he feels like he woudlnt be contributing anything significant.
ONTARIO CANADA

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2023, 07:53:42 AM »

This has been noted a few times before, but it's pretty funny that someone who can switch so effortlessly between totally different setups and still perform as such a high level has "madness".
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Bill Salt

« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2023, 08:01:24 AM »
His reviews are nerdy but alwas damn interesting
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 11:28:28 PM by Bill Salt »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2023, 08:03:48 AM »
i think it stems from the fact he can do every single trick. he can do it on every single setup, its just a matter of how much he is struggling with it on certain day. so one day a sw 360 flip takes him 1 try, the next it takes him 3 or 4. if he wasnt so picky then even on the bad board, i think he would get used to it and eventually get it to the point he can do it every try.

the real madness is when one setup works better for certain tricks, but then worse on others. i noticed he was like "oh i really like smith grinds on ventures" it is kind of an oddly specific trick to call out. theres never gonna be any 1 board that does everything perfectly. when you add length to the wb, to me it feels harder to bring around on 3 flips, but i find increased stability and control when doing grinds or skating transition. will chnage the way you manual too. then you bring in the bolt position, concave, and steepness of kicks. i feel like that stuff more comes down to preference but again there is a similar trade off and the timing will change.
ONTARIO CANADA

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2023, 06:13:38 PM »
https://youtu.be/vy59S81CdSM

Ben’s little jab at real at the very end made me lol

switchfakie

« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2023, 09:56:16 PM »
ill be honest, do people really care about these videos & watch them attentively?

i've gone as far as nerding out on wheelbase & a little (emphasis on little) bit into nose/tail steepness&concave but the moment he starts going into fingers of flat & time to pop, i could care less because those factors are near impossible for me to control given i buy boards online

i love the man, but his videos are background noise for me when im doing something else

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2023, 10:21:17 PM »
ill be honest, do people really care about these videos & watch them attentively?

i've gone as far as nerding out on wheelbase & a little (emphasis on little) bit into nose/tail steepness&concave but the moment he starts going into fingers of flat & time to pop, i could care less because those factors are near impossible for me to control given i buy boards online

i love the man, but his videos are background noise for me when im doing something else
They're good vids to put on while I'm looking for something to watch. I don't really care about all the super tech stuff (or even actually really believe it matters) but his general reviews of products or going to ps stix or parks etc vids are good

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #312 on: April 30, 2023, 02:46:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They're good vids to put on while I'm looking for something to watch. I don't really care about all the super tech stuff (or even actually really believe it matters) but his general reviews of products or going to ps stix or parks etc vids are good

I think some are more relevant / of interest more than others, but if I have time I might watch a few here and there.

Of the last dozen or so I have only seen a couple though (including that last one which I did find interesting), but some people might be way more interested than others with the fine details of that sort of stuff.

Sure I am all about getting into detail for some things, but I often tend to skip over others, eg certain brands of shoe, or whatever he said about shorts / clothes have very little interest to me, compared to different woodshops, concaves or skate hardgoods reviews, but others might be all about the new Nike shoes or Polar shorts, just to name a few after looking over the video list.

https://www.youtube.com/@bendegros/videos

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: April 30, 2023, 11:48:12 AM »

Definitely on the same page as you, I don’t pay close attention to everything he says in these gear specific vids. That said, i fuck with those dad or bro reviews he was doing

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #314 on: May 25, 2023, 03:35:03 PM »

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2023, 06:05:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/bgB5BF_kd9w

This was sick, the spots looked so great. Ben’s a really good skateboarder

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #316 on: May 29, 2023, 04:41:38 PM »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: May 29, 2023, 05:51:19 PM »
Look like brothers.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #318 on: May 29, 2023, 07:14:02 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs2CBzdPJqz/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Look at these two studs

Still holding out for a Ben and Ted DeGros video, that would be a fine Thanksgiving day video. Just 2 of them swapping stories from their past, Ted's time riding for AWS and SC, current state of the industry and the rise of the YT skater, seeing the ebb and flow of each brothers career.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: May 29, 2023, 07:18:38 PM »
That's not Ted is it? I'm pretty bad with faces though.

I too would love to see him on Ben's channel just shooting the shit. Not sure if he even skates anymore just casually.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #320 on: May 29, 2023, 09:34:33 PM »
That is ted but not degros. Ted Barrow. They look like brothers tho.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: May 29, 2023, 10:20:21 PM »
Oh okay. Yeah, he looked familiar but couldn't place it. Guess I've only seen him through a webcam wearing a hat on the lifted tater segments.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2023, 01:19:39 AM »
That's a Ted talk I'd actually watch.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2023, 05:36:20 PM »
I’ve always kinda thought they seem really similar but really different…..a game or skate would be sick but for every letter they’d have to pick a topic out of a hat and do a minute of content : construction, art history, heinous fashion choices…..wheelbase…..

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #324 on: June 04, 2023, 06:17:19 PM »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2023, 12:19:44 PM »
He didn't change my mind on loose trucks

But I did get joy from seeing how much joy he was having in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8eblEGN7go

Daddy Ben screwing around

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: June 10, 2023, 09:17:53 AM »
He didn't change my mind on loose trucks

“Look how much worse I skate with loose trucks!” (Proceeds to skate better than 95% of skateboarders half his age)

douchenozzle

• Rep: 30
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #328 on: June 10, 2023, 09:20:26 AM »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #329 on: June 10, 2023, 11:22:13 PM »
Listened to this while on the bus to the session and did tighten my trucks prior to skating. He's partially right on the pinch for tricks on looser trucks - it's easier to get into them, but I find it harder to hold grinds for longer because the hanger wants to shift around more. Looser trucks also means less tension on the bushings when exiting, so you don't a satisfying pop out of crooked grinds.

Tighter trucks definitely help for straight flip tricks, on 180 flip tricks I have to be more deliberate with the flick since you can't pre-load the rotation and flip as much.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m