Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177442 times)

IpathCats

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #480 on: February 02, 2023, 07:08:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Curb-height manny pads are a far superior form of low impact skating than slappies. Idk why old guys love slappies so much, they hurt your knees almost as much as skating flat and they’re only fun if you’re going Mach 5, which creates a pretty high slam risk factor. Way easier to break yourself off skating a curb than a small manny pad. Just doing manny shuv or 180 out is way more fun than pretty much all slappy tricks. Sometimes I think the real reason slappy culture got so intertwined with old dude culture is because it’s the only kind of skating that’s way more fun with a couple of beers in ya
[close]

Manuals have zero friction thus having no physical affect on your body…..

However it’s the mental torment which is what an elderly skater is avoiding…..

You ever drag your tail on a 5-0?  It’s called a 5-0?  When you do it on a manual….it’s not called anything….

you're killing it man haha can only gnar once in 24 hours

Sizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #481 on: February 02, 2023, 07:10:15 AM »
If you clip the last stair at a long set or something and still ride away it’s 100% a make, sketchy but 100% counts

IpathCats

« Reply #482 on: February 02, 2023, 07:26:35 AM »
The problem is you guys are taking manny’s too seriously, if you don’t lock into it just do that heel scrape thing to balance it and try some random trick out, when you stop giving a fuck about making it perfect they’re so fun. I shamelessly scrape on mannys at the park all the time

cant get behind this man

If you clip the last stair at a long set or something and still ride away it’s 100% a make, sketchy but 100% counts

or this, haha.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2023, 08:24:15 AM »
You ever drag your tail on a 5-0?  It’s called a 5-0?  When you do it on a manual….it’s not called anything….
I consider a dragged 5-0 a 5-0 - as far as I remember it wasn’t until I’d been doing them for years that anyone thought you had to balance them. Honestly I think balanced ones are dumb unless they’re really long.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #484 on: February 02, 2023, 08:26:33 AM »
Weight > wheelbase as far as trucks are concerned.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Bluntmane

• Rep: -13
« Reply #485 on: February 02, 2023, 10:39:24 AM »
Curb-height manny pads are a far superior form of low impact skating than slappies. Idk why old guys love slappies so much, they hurt your knees almost as much as skating flat and they’re only fun if you’re going Mach 5, which creates a pretty high slam risk factor. Way easier to break yourself off skating a curb than a small manny pad. Just doing manny shuv or 180 out is way more fun than pretty much all slappy tricks. Sometimes I think the real reason slappy culture got so intertwined with old dude culture is because it’s the only kind of skating that’s way more fun with a couple of beers in ya
Notice how the people who do mostly slappys are trash at transition. Skating transition at an older age would actually save your body vs slamming on a curb.

manysnakes

« Reply #486 on: February 02, 2023, 11:10:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Notice how the people who do mostly slappys are trash at transition. Skating transition at an older age would actually save your body vs slamming on a curb.

I don't know how you could make such a blanket statement, but nevertheless I haven't found it to be true.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #487 on: February 02, 2023, 11:18:36 AM »
Louie barletta or whatever his last name - I never been big fan - think he look and skate annoying
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #488 on: February 02, 2023, 11:30:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Notice how the people who do mostly slappys are trash at transition.
Guilty as charged. Can’t say which is easier on my body because I’m trash at transition.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #489 on: February 02, 2023, 11:35:14 AM »
The helmets with a bill (like &&’s) look dorkier, though I think the intent in wearing one is to look less dorky.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #490 on: February 02, 2023, 11:53:03 AM »
The helmets with a bill (like &&’s) look dorkier, though I think the intent in wearing one is to look less dorky.

It’s too bad, because whatever his intentions were, those helmets will forever have that pungent && stank on them.

switchfakie

« Reply #491 on: February 02, 2023, 03:39:23 PM »

yeh, i agree

i dont care if there's a graphic or a sticker job on it, but once you start embellishing it with unnecessary things like a bill or a mohawk, or you put a beanie over the helmet, its wack

Banned from the room

« Reply #492 on: February 02, 2023, 04:20:24 PM »
Manual to flip to grind to flip to manual needs to be more of a thing.

i back this

Banned from the room

« Reply #493 on: February 02, 2023, 04:21:42 PM »
Manual to flip to grind to flip to manual needs to be more of a thing.

i back this

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #494 on: February 02, 2023, 05:01:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It doesn't seem like it's possible to really learn new tricks after the age of like 45, plus your body seems to rapidly lose the ability to pop around the same age. Everyone I know at that age is just trying to maintain their skill instead of learn new shit. Some of them still rip but they're not getting any better. So if you haven't learn how to skate transition by the time you're 40 then you're going to be fucked later in life
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #495 on: February 02, 2023, 05:47:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

So if you haven't learn how to skate transition by the time you're 40 then you're going to be fucked later in life

Now that's some big bullshit if you've ever heard about Jon Bishop. This old dude started skating 3-4 years ago, posted all his progress on youtube and is probably my biggest inspiration even though I'm 28 and have been skating for 15 years. He's the ultimate hype man and fucking rips now. 3-4 damn years and he's smith grinding pool coping like a boss.

https://www.youtube.com/@JonBishopSkate/videos

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2023, 06:33:12 PM »
"of", "fred gall" and "who?" are to SLAP what "this", "sigh...unzips" and "thanks for the gold, kind stranger" are to Reddit, and equally as unfunny.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #497 on: February 02, 2023, 08:47:47 PM »
It wouldn't be the worst thing if companies like rip curl, billabong, rusty, Quiksilver etc made teams and paid people enough to live on. It would make skateboarders less dependant on the energy drink and sport shoe companies (altho there'd no doubt still be an amount of cross over)

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2023, 09:57:41 PM »
It wouldn't be the worst thing if companies like rip curl, billabong, rusty, Quiksilver etc made teams and paid people enough to live on. It would make skateboarders less dependant on the energy drink and sport shoe companies (altho there'd no doubt still be an amount of cross over)

Didn't they try this in the past? I kinda remember those companies having skate teams when I was a kid but maybe I'm tripping. I agree though, I would way rather have those big corporations than energy drinks
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: February 02, 2023, 10:02:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Didn't they try this in the past? I kinda remember those companies having skate teams when I was a kid but maybe I'm tripping. I agree though, I would way rather have those big corporations than energy drinks
Lol yeah they all did and canned it but so did some other companies like Nike, cons, Adidas, Carhartt, dickies, Levi's and they came back again so there's a small chance it could work

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #500 on: February 02, 2023, 10:33:55 PM »
Here’s an unpopular opinion….skaters add next to no value to these brands……

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #501 on: February 02, 2023, 10:57:51 PM »
"of", "fred gall" and "who?" are to SLAP what "this", "sigh...unzips" and "thanks for the gold, kind stranger" are to Reddit, and equally as unfunny.

Of is cool
Who? is obnoxious for the most part
Fred Gall is a necessity

SHALOM is dearly missed

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #502 on: February 02, 2023, 11:00:56 PM »
This was my first thought, no skater is buying rip curl or billabong even if they pay louie a million to wear it, and nobody outside skating knows who the fuck louie lopez is

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #503 on: February 03, 2023, 05:47:46 AM »
Baggy pants are the bellbottoms of the 90s and should not be coming back for an athletic activity like skateboarding.  There’s actually not just baggy pants or skinny pants, there are also, relaxed fit normal pants. 

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #504 on: February 03, 2023, 07:31:21 AM »
Baggy pants are the bellbottoms of the 90s and should not be coming back for an athletic activity like skateboarding.  There’s actually not just baggy pants or skinny pants, there are also, relaxed fit normal pants.

Poo poo pee pee
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

manysnakes

« Reply #505 on: February 03, 2023, 07:45:33 AM »

These companies make like $7 a year now. Every one of them is owned by some capital investment group whose primary concern is evicting the elderly from fixed income apartments or extracting Orgone from 19 year olds in order to sell to Silicon Valley Draculas. Skateboarders add nothing of value to these brands, which at this point likely exist as some elaborate scheme for tax avoidance.

manysnakes

« Reply #506 on: February 03, 2023, 08:00:53 AM »

A lot of "here's what company X should do" posts are predicated on an era which is now behind us. The idea that there's money floating around inside this system to pay Kader six-figured for board sales or to give a team of riders a living-wage salary to wear Billabong is some 2010s thinking, just completely detached from the current realities of the economy and the tiny little niche industry of skateboarding.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: February 03, 2023, 08:08:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A lot of "here's what company X should do" posts are predicated on an era which is now behind us. The idea that there's money floating around inside this system to pay Kader six-figured for board sales or to give a team of riders a living-wage salary to wear Billabong is some 2010s thinking, just completely detached from the current realities of the economy and the tiny little niche industry of skateboarding.
It was less this is what these companies should do and more just a hypothetical alternative to everyone needing red bull or monster to pay rent. It wouldn't be the worst thing if it was possible....

manysnakes

« Reply #508 on: February 03, 2023, 08:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It was less this is what these companies should do and more just a hypothetical alternative to everyone needing red bull or monster to pay rent. It wouldn't be the worst thing if it was possible....

I'm really not trying to nitpick your argument, but why would Quiksilver be preferable to Red Bull? What value do they add which Red Bull does not?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #509 on: February 03, 2023, 08:19:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I'm really not trying to nitpick your argument, but why would Quiksilver be preferable to Red Bull? What value do they add which Red Bull does not?
Well in this not real situation it would be both. So red bull has its team of twenty people or whatever and then all these other companies can pick up those who aren't going to fit on the drink companies. It wasn't like the red bull team just quits and puts on rip curl shirts.
It could of been any type of companies I was just thinking what would maybe fit in the best and those brands already have surfers and snowboarders.