Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177418 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #600 on: February 07, 2023, 10:57:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Daewon has not been fun to watch for over a decade.
[close]
Oh that’s a HOT take
[close]
Thought it might be appropriate to have an actual unpopular opinion here.  Manuals blunt variations and novelty tricks on small stuff doesn't interest me at all.
I’ll admit I could do without another long switch nose manual through a skatepark, but he does post some good stuff sometimes. Would love to see more of him doing more traditional park skating

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #602 on: February 07, 2023, 11:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote
First SLAP skateboards graphic right here

Lfgooooooo
[close]
i've got one on my phone that's even more graphic

Expand Quote
Why? Different sport. Do you think skaters are like weightlifters?

I don’t appreciate the comparison
[close]
i started lifting weights last year to help with my skating and i regret to inform you it gets results

Can confirm as well

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #603 on: February 07, 2023, 12:42:52 PM »
Nollie blacktail is a cool trick.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2023, 01:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Lfgooooooo
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
i started lifting weights last year to help with my skating and i regret to inform you it gets results
[close]

Can confirm as well

There's definitely a point of diminishing returns with lifting and skating though. Some light stuff is fine but any really heavy lifting, especially squats or deadlifts, is going to make you skate like shit because of the recovery period.

I want to get back into lifting this year, I kind of want to just do some lightweight Olympic lifts to keep my mobility and I think those kind of movements could help with skating.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2023, 01:15:52 PM »
cabs with a nose or truck scrap in-between them are mid

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2023, 01:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote

Lfgooooooo
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
Lift weights if you want but I think there’s a difference between skater who lifts weights and weight lifter who competes in weightlifting comps

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #607 on: February 07, 2023, 01:33:43 PM »
People who are transitioning or have transitioned from m to f lose strength very quickly.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20210715/do-trans-women-athletes-have-advantages

It's a complicated issue and there is constant research and discussion from people who actually care about these issues, rather than shitheads like Carlson/Rogan/Zuby who see it as an easy way to rile up their fans while shitting on a marginalised segment of society (just look up stats on trans self harm if you really want to find out the impact that these shitty debates have)

If you aren't involved in official sports orgs, research or are trans it's probably best to just stay out of it.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #608 on: February 07, 2023, 01:40:32 PM »
That picture of a green m&m is so fucked.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #609 on: February 07, 2023, 01:54:45 PM »
Expand Quote
I very much dislike drop ins as tricks in parts. Its not that they aren't gnarly or difficult its just... something about have to climb a fence, awkwardly balancing while trying to get yourself in to position to drop in, half the time the board gets handed to them once in position...its just so unnatural/no flow to it.
[close]

Like ride on grinds, they need to be special in order to remain legal.

If not, the user has a high chance of being REGULATED

All of Alex Willms’ in his sk8 mafia part were legit IMO.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #610 on: February 07, 2023, 07:15:32 PM »
I remember being so mad a ‘Thrill of it all’…rolling off of buildings putting your hands on the ground…..

IpathCats

« Reply #611 on: February 07, 2023, 08:13:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I very much dislike drop ins as tricks in parts. Its not that they aren't gnarly or difficult its just... something about have to climb a fence, awkwardly balancing while trying to get yourself in to position to drop in, half the time the board gets handed to them once in position...its just so unnatural/no flow to it.
[close]

Like ride on grinds, they need to be special in order to remain legal.

If not, the user has a high chance of being REGULATED
[close]

All of Alex Willms’ in his sk8 mafia part were legit IMO.

That dude rips, can't say I really remember all his ride on grinds though.

Nollie blacktail is a cool trick.

.....Nah

cabs with a nose or truck scrap in-between them are mid

What?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #612 on: February 07, 2023, 08:21:46 PM »
People who are transitioning or have transitioned from m to f lose strength very quickly.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20210715/do-trans-women-athletes-have-advantages

It's a complicated issue and there is constant research and discussion from people who actually care about these issues, rather than shitheads like Carlson/Rogan/Zuby who see it as an easy way to rile up their fans while shitting on a marginalised segment of society (just look up stats on trans self harm if you really want to find out the impact that these shitty debates have)

If you aren't involved in official sports orgs, research or are trans it's probably best to just stay out of it.

Lol cool opinion brah, this one will really rock the turbo-liberal slap messageboard
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #613 on: February 07, 2023, 10:12:11 PM »

Can confirm.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #614 on: February 07, 2023, 11:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lol cool opinion brah, this one will really rock the turbo-liberal slap messageboard

Just replying to the conversation above without digging through to quote each post.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 52
« Reply #615 on: February 08, 2023, 03:34:13 AM »
The board size you ride should be relative to your shoe size. I wear size 10-10.5  (depending on the shoe) and ride a 8.5 board. I couldn't fathom being a size 11 - 13 and riding a 7.5 or 7.75 board. Props to those who can do it though

This is what i was taught in the skateshop when i was trying to start skating. I wear 9 and skate 7.75.

since we're on the subject: I think the big boards look stupid and ugly. Disproportionate to the bodies which stand upon them

Terminal

« Reply #616 on: February 08, 2023, 06:28:30 AM »
Watched a Shaun White vert finals run yesterday, pretty insane air game...

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #617 on: February 08, 2023, 06:30:59 AM »
Expand Quote
The board size you ride should be relative to your shoe size. I wear size 10-10.5  (depending on the shoe) and ride a 8.5 board. I couldn't fathom being a size 11 - 13 and riding a 7.5 or 7.75 board. Props to those who can do it though
[close]

This is what i was taught in the skateshop when i was trying to start skating. I wear 9 and skate 7.75.

since we're on the subject: I think the big boards look stupid and ugly. Disproportionate to the bodies which stand upon them
sub 8" boards will never come back unless they are marketed for "beginners."   Also 3/4 of Slap has been saying they'll come back for years so this does not belong in the unpopular opinion thread.

sle_epy

« Reply #618 on: February 08, 2023, 06:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
sub 8" boards will never come back unless they are marketed for "beginners."   Also 3/4 of Slap has been saying they'll come back for years so this does not belong in the unpopular opinion thread.

If more and more women and girls start skating they'll start marketing smaller boards. It just has to be profitable.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #619 on: February 08, 2023, 07:09:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

If more and more women and girls start skating they'll start marketing smaller boards. It just has to be profitable.
Even the kids are riding 8s

sle_epy

« Reply #620 on: February 08, 2023, 07:19:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Even the kids are riding 8s

I still think it'd make a difference but just MO.

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #621 on: February 08, 2023, 07:44:02 AM »
big board with small wheelbase feels like small board

board size is mostly just room for your feet

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #622 on: February 08, 2023, 03:45:28 PM »
There’s nothing interesting going on in skateboarding at the moment

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #623 on: February 08, 2023, 06:25:48 PM »
The Skateboard Mag was way fucking better than Thrasher by miles

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #624 on: February 08, 2023, 06:36:19 PM »
Skateboarder and Transworld were also way better than thrasher

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1265
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #625 on: February 08, 2023, 06:41:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
not at all

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #626 on: February 08, 2023, 07:01:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
not at all
Way better photos in general and tours to parts of the world not in skate mags (the patrick Waller stuff) etc rather than dickheads go travel just to eat McDonald's, annoy the locals and skate a skatepark. Transworld did have the army and anti smoking ads but thrasher had like 30 pages of losers with Mohawks and ads for gyroscope backpacks

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #627 on: February 08, 2023, 07:07:11 PM »
There’s nothing interesting going on in skateboarding at the moment

Looks like someone hasn’t heard about those sick new skateboard stamps all the kids are going crazy for
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #628 on: February 08, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »

What width should size 12 shoes skate then? When I came back I tried an 8.5 thinking it was what I needed and I have never landed primo so hard so many times in my life. I hated it. 8.375-8.38 feels like goldilocks to me now.

I should have known better though. Back in the early 2000s in my prime high school days  I was always trying to get 8's but they were hard to find. My friend was getting flowed Toy Machine boards and gave me a 8.25 which was huge at the time and I loved it. I both learned and gave up on 360 flips on that deck after the tail broke :(

manysnakes

« Reply #629 on: February 09, 2023, 05:47:58 AM »
Board sizing is completely arbitrary and you should skate whatever you want. Assigning board width according to shoe size is a /r/NewSkaters-tier idea.