Author Topic: Buyers remorse.  (Read 19819 times)

Bristol_Palin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Re: Buyers remorse.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2023, 06:03:04 AM »
I bought the first color way of the Tiago NB1010 that were white and supposed to be a homage to Guy’s axion shoe. I thought they were so sick and I was stoked to wear them with some light denim wranglers I bought a couple sizes too big. Thought they might give off Tiago vibes but in reality it gave off my wife’s uncle John vibes. Just quintessential dad vibes. Probably didn’t help I was wearing like a patagonia quarter zip and a Phillies baseball cap. They still skate good and are super comfy but I went right back to half cabs for the most part and used them for walks and taking my dog out. A few months ago I bought an all black pair and they look more normal but they are mostly used for going on walks. I still just skate in half cabs and they’re more of my go to but Tiagos are comfy and they do skate good the few times I’ve skated them, I just can’t really pull them off so I’m just going to skate half cabs for the rest of my life.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2023, 06:38:07 AM »
I came from Half Cabs to 1010 and thought the same. The first time I wore them my Mom complimented me on my "dad shoes". I felt really stupid wearing a bunch of death metal band shirts with loose fit jeans and jogging shoes at first. Slowly tho I realized it's not stupid and basically a modern dad fit. Gotta embrace it. Then Reynolds got on NB and whatever he does usually looks good so now I am way more confident.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2023, 06:40:10 AM »
I bought the first color way of the Tiago NB1010 that were white and supposed to be a homage to Guy’s axion shoe. I thought they were so sick and I was stoked to wear them with some light denim wranglers I bought a couple sizes too big. Thought they might give off Tiago vibes but in reality it gave off my wife’s uncle John vibes. Just quintessential dad vibes. Probably didn’t help I was wearing like a patagonia quarter zip and a Phillies baseball cap. They still skate good and are super comfy but I went right back to half cabs for the most part and used them for walks and taking my dog out. A few months ago I bought an all black pair and they look more normal but they are mostly used for going on walks. I still just skate in half cabs and they’re more of my go to but Tiagos are comfy and they do skate good the few times I’ve skated them, I just can’t really pull them off so I’m just going to skate half cabs for the rest of my life.

I cannot heart this enough.
1010s did feel so nice on the feet, legs, back. I should skate them, or dunks/something similar, by myself, and not worry about the look. But…

13mwz do feel really nice to skate. I have one pair, that’s a size up, and they are noticeably easier for me to skate on, compared to tts 501s. (My 501 ‘collection’ has some sentimental value and are starting to fall apart, so blowing them out on a whiffed kickflip attempt going 2 mph, wearing clown shoes, hurts).

manysnakes

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2023, 08:13:35 AM »
I regret buying half the winter sale decks I ended up with, two madness decks with weird short mellow kicks, and a steep nose hockey that seems too different than I usually ride.

Sort of same. I can make the Hockey decks work, but they're not perfect for me. I'd rather spend an extra $10 for a closeout Primitive or Polar deck, which are much closer to my preference. I keep thinking of listing them up for sales on Craigslist for like $35/deck - I figure I could get rid of them quickly that way.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 08:28:32 AM by manysnakes »

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2023, 08:25:25 AM »
Lots of FA wall hangers I'll prob never skate and am tired af of looking at. That and a stack of Quasi '21-'22 I'm pretty much over. So I guess the remorse is in shit I got I thought was hot, but I quickly outgrew style/company wise. Lesson learned. Same thing goes for oversized clothes.

Banned from the room

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2023, 08:27:21 AM »
Slappy trucks..
Set them up, skated them for six weeks, still felt like I was riding someone else’s board. Still thought they were decent, assumed it was just me.
Went back and set up a brand new pair of forged hollow indies, and holy shit, the difference is so noticeable.

Im curious what differences do you notice? I haven't ridden my Indys since i switched to Ventures in 2017? To me the Slappy feels like an Indy that's slightly more stable and  doesn't wheel bite. Maybe ill do a day or two on my 139s to refresh my memory.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2023, 11:37:34 AM »
Every pair of shoes I've bought online. I few decks for "collecting" that I'm like "really dude?".  That last Anti Hero 8.5 that's actually an 8.25. A few sets of SML wheels... Hell every wheel purchase I've ever made leading up to F4 conical fulls. Skateshop shirts. They always fit like ass but hopefully it helped pay a bill or a beer.

roll_dog

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2023, 11:42:03 AM »
Expand Quote
I regret buying half the winter sale decks I ended up with, two madness decks with weird short mellow kicks, and a steep nose hockey that seems too different than I usually ride.
[close]

Sort of same. I can make the Hockey decks work, but they're not perfect for me. I'd rather spend an extra $10 for a closeout Primitive or Polar deck, which are much closer to my preference. I keep thinking of listing them up for sales on Craigslist for like $35/deck - I figure I could get rid of them quickly that way.

Mine has been sitting at $35, good luck lol.

That's the thing that sucks about regretting skate purchases, you might as well just give the stuff away, I feel like it's rarely worth the trouble selling.

CreepySweaty

• Rep: 60
  • i am mitchie brusco i have done the 1080
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2023, 11:57:04 AM »
Lots of FA wall hangers I'll prob never skate and am tired af of looking at. That and a stack of Quasi '21-'22 I'm pretty much over. So I guess the remorse is in shit I got I thought was hot, but I quickly outgrew style/company wise. Lesson learned. Same thing goes for oversized clothes.
You got the Jkjnsn Jesus quasi by any chance? Been looking for it as a wall hanger

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2023, 12:15:08 PM »
I once had a pair of Mikey Taylor enties(?). Am seriously embarassed about this now. Retroactive buyers remorse.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2023, 12:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You got the Jkjnsn Jesus quasi by any chance? Been looking for it as a wall hanger

Ayo yeah what quasi boards

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2023, 12:48:05 PM »
Bought a set of the old, lower Thunder 149s, got pitched by wheelbite coming out of my first carve on them, immediately took them off my board.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2023, 12:49:35 PM »

Lol amazing.

Hard to shake the Dad N vibes with white kicks…

Slappy trucks..
Set them up, skated them for six weeks, still felt like I was riding someone else’s board. Still thought they were decent, assumed it was just me.
Went back and set up a brand new pair of forged hollow indies, and holy shit, the difference is so noticeable. 

That's how I felt after riding Venture Hi/Cast for a week after Slappy trucks, went back to them and I def prefer an early turn vs a delayed turn. I prefer them over Indys now, they're more stable while still being loose (I find them more like ACE but not as wobbly).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:36:10 PM by Xen »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2023, 01:35:31 PM »
I get buyers remorse on just about everything I purchase.
I like hunting for deals, but ultimately I'll end up with gear I don't actually want then feel like it's a sunk cost so I'm bummed on keeping it around. I've pretty much stopped buying things for myself, not limited to skate gear -- really anything. I'll just wait for the need to buy something then replace the stuff I like and actually used through with a new version of pretty much the same thing.

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2023, 01:44:42 PM »
Got a Foundation Cole Wilson. Had a huge shovel nose contrary to it's stubby tail. The entire top two plys from the concave to the tip flipped up like your big toe-nail wood.

Learned nonollie nose slides on a concrete parkers
[Applause]

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2023, 03:13:34 PM »
I find those decks you shouldn’t have bought keep those trucks that weren’t what you had expected company…

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2023, 03:21:34 PM »
I find those decks you shouldn’t have bought keep those trucks that weren’t what you had expected company…

I keep the trucks FOR when the madness hits, sunk cost already, and selling off cheaper only to buy again in future isn’t cost effective.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2023, 03:34:05 PM »
*looks over at the massive box of trucks and those ill fitting 808s*

No, nope…whatever do you mean?

Granted I have skated all of them (well all but three sets) and everything I buy,  it helps ease the regret.

Sell them off?

Best shoes ever.  What size are you ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2023, 03:36:32 PM »
I have a set of lurpivs That I set up every once in awhile, stand on on a rug, then take off.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2023, 04:01:52 PM »
bought one of those new deluxe true fit boards and im scared to set it up. ill probably never do it

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2023, 05:07:19 PM »
Baker/death wish popsicle boards, they suck.
Emerica Leo Romero's blew out at the tread.

^happened 7 years ago but i still avoid all 3 brands like the plague. They might be better nowadays.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2023, 05:42:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I keep the trucks FOR when the madness hits, sunk cost already, and selling off cheaper only to buy again in future isn’t cost effective.

I should keep my ace lo's around as a reminder that shrinking the wheel base, and a lower truck doesn't necessarily make me happier....

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2023, 06:41:27 PM »
I have a set of lurpivs That I set up every once in awhile, stand on on a rug, then take off.

Haha!
Same here.
They kind of scare me.

I do hope Lurpiv makes a return though.
Maybe that’s why I hang on to ‘em. Hope.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2023, 08:29:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha!
Same here.
They kind of scare me.

Same. I don't know how I convinced myself to stay on them for 2 months. I guess spending so much will justify that. They feel like standing on a bag of loose bolts even when I tighten them all the way. Squeaky as hell too.

caked

• Rep: -24
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2023, 07:07:57 AM »
bought one of those new deluxe true fit boards and im scared to set it up. ill probably never do it
I'm peer pressuring you to do it! are you a short legged person? I switched to a true fit about 10 days ago, I'm loving it (but I am a short legged person and only 5'5")

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2023, 07:22:26 AM »
Beef & Brocolli Half Cabs- loved the colorway but hated how they skated, ended up gifting them to a park homie

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2023, 07:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Hey just sent you a message

Ayo yeah what quasi boards
I'll reply with pics by tomorrow. Message me if you're looking for a specific board

IpathCats

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2023, 07:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha!
Same here.
They kind of scare me.

[close]
Same. I don't know how I convinced myself to stay on them for 2 months. I guess spending so much will justify that. They feel like standing on a bag of loose bolts even when I tighten them all the way. Squeaky as hell too.

I enjoyed my time on lurpivs, the images of snapped hangers scared me though.

the regular kinpgin fixed them from coming loose over time.

I would buy another set if they fixed the issues they had and retained their height/geometry/bushing design.

a bit lighter would be nice too.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2023, 07:51:47 AM »
Got the 93 rust cords. Wore them twice, to bright for me.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 903
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2023, 08:22:08 AM »
I got the Heroin soft boiled egg as my first egg deck. I usually skate decks that are 8.5-9” and so I thought it’d be a good one to start with at 8.7…. Felt like I was skating a 8. My feet are too big for them shits, prob only skated it 2-3 times.

I got the very big egg after (10) and that one felt great.