Author Topic: Buyers remorse.  (Read 19828 times)

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Buyers remorse.
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2023, 09:35:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think Alexis shoe... I'm pretty bummed since I liked them a lot and they skate pretty well but got some Achilles tendon pain and this never happened before so I'm blaming the 0 support heel of the shoe.
Anybody had a similar issue?
[close]
I had Achilles tendon pain for 12 years and healed it this year by learning an easy exercise that strengthens it. I raise my heel and stand on the forefoot of my shoe for 3 minutes each morning while waiting for coffee and it strengthens the calf muscle. It took away all pain in a couple weeks. I was doing calf raises for a long time before that but it never worked. There are videos etc online about it, just search rehab Achilles insertion injury
[close]
Will give it a try. Never had issues before except once last year while skating LL shoe. Maybe Cons are built in a way that's just not for me.
Thx pal 🙏
Respect. Have a good sunday

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #241 on: August 08, 2023, 11:52:57 PM »
Maybe I hate V-Lights 5.6, not sure. Coming from AF1 55. Thinking if I should get 44's
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2023, 01:14:40 AM »
Buying wheels larger than what I actually want to ride so they last longer. I wish they were 2mm smaller...

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2023, 07:48:00 PM »
I just bought a used car. It was listed for 4k but I got it down to 2.5k when I bought it. It's gonna need new tires, brakes, and probably headlights. Turning into more of a financial investment than I thought it would be.

I mean to be honest 3.5k for a road worthy manual car is not bad, but I feel like for spending 3.5k I could have done better. 2010 mazda6 with 165kmiles with a 6spd standard transmission with a fart can, weird intake, and blue tinted headlights on it that I don't like. Just the shittest mods. The engine sounds/feels/looks ok, clutch and trans is tight. I know the car market's fucked but still feel like its too much.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2023, 09:07:11 PM »
Buying wheels larger than what I actually want to ride so they last longer. I wish they were 2mm smaller...

I used to do that, hated it every time. I don't do that anymore, I cap at 54mm, 53mm if they're around.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2023, 07:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to do that, hated it every time. I don't do that anymore, I cap at 54mm, 53mm if they're around.

i want to skate bigger wheels, so i can roll over stuff.
i hate skating bigger wheels.

i will soon, in the near future, once again, buy wheels larger than what i can reasonably flip-trick with. and i’ll be upset.
i’ll come back to talk about it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 06:23:34 AM by Ok »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #246 on: August 13, 2023, 04:41:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i will soon, in the near future, once again, by wheels larger than what i can reasonably flip-trick with. and i’ll be upset.
been there too many times myself
love the feeling of 52 and below but have bought as big as 58mm
and then end up selling them in events/classifieds
now that they make radial fulls in 54 i should be fine
should be
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2023, 11:14:18 PM »
Probably and most likely the Ventures V-Lights 5.6 I got fall into this category.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #248 on: August 20, 2023, 06:11:08 AM »
Expand Quote
I think Alexis shoe... I'm pretty bummed since I liked them a lot and they skate pretty well but got some Achilles tendon pain and this never happened before so I'm blaming the 0 support heel of the shoe.
[close]
I had Achilles tendon pain for 12 years and healed it this year by learning an easy exercise that strengthens it. I raise my heel and stand on the forefoot of my shoe for 3 minutes each morning while waiting for coffee and it strengthens the calf muscle. It took away all pain in a couple weeks. I was doing calf raises for a long time before that but it never worked. There are videos etc online about it, just search rehab Achilles insertion injury
so basically standing on your tippy toes?
I had been doing that while brushing my teeth but not enough. My Achilles pain sucks, kind of moved to bottom of my heel now too. Plantar flaciitis I guess. Have been trying reverse calf lowers on a stair too

changed1

« Reply #249 on: August 20, 2023, 06:44:02 AM »
4 or 5 years ago I bought etnies Joslin Michellin tire shoe and it seemed I could never break them in no matter how hard I tried. They became back up shoes in my trunk until one day i had to walk through mud to get somewhere so I put those on. After that they became my hiking shoes but that was short lived because I got great hiking boots soon after that. Tried to donate them or give them to friends but nobody wanted my old muddy etnies haha

Another time the shop was out of Indys and the guy working convinced me to try Thunders even though I really didn’t want to. The next 4 or 5 months of riding those sucked. Turn radius sucked and I’d be riding and my trucks would literally fall apart and I’d slam. Then spend the next 10 minutes finding everything and putting them back together. I’ve hated thunder since and I stopped taking any product advice from dudes at skate shops.

pops

• Rep: 256
« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2023, 06:44:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
so basically standing on your tippy toes?
I had been doing that while brushing my teeth but not enough. My Achilles pain sucks, kind of moved to bottom of my heel now too. Plantar flaciitis I guess. Have been trying reverse calf lowers on a stair too

Try eccentric calf raises. That helps to strengthen your tendon and muscle strength as well. Stand on the edge of a stair, raise your both heels then descend with only one foot. Repeat 10-15 times.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2023, 07:21:12 PM »
Calf raises work for general Achilles pain, but for my specific injury it was an insertional Achilles injury, and calf raises didn’t strengthen that area, but standing in a calf raise for 3 minutes does. It’s crazy but I learned it from a physical therapy YouTube. So if say for whoever is injured just try both ways and see which one helps and I hope it does

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2023, 07:31:34 PM »
4 or 5 years ago I bought etnies Joslin Michellin tire shoe and it seemed I could never break them in no matter how hard I tried. They became back up shoes in my trunk until one day i had to walk through mud to get somewhere so I put those on. After that they became my hiking shoes but that was short lived because I got great hiking boots soon after that. Tried to donate them or give them to friends but nobody wanted my old muddy etnies haha

Another time the shop was out of Indys and the guy working convinced me to try Thunders even though I really didn’t want to. The next 4 or 5 months of riding those sucked. Turn radius sucked and I’d be riding and my trucks would literally fall apart and I’d slam. Then spend the next 10 minutes finding everything and putting them back together. I’ve hated thunder since and I stopped taking any product advice from dudes at skate shops.

Thunders are great, but qn aquired taste.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2023, 08:36:02 PM »
Standing on your foot for 3min is an isometric, which are also shown to help alleviate tendonitis pain. Same with eccentric calf raises. 3min is super long, way too long actually and isometrics and eccentrics are only usually used during the initial phase of rehab.

After that you should also move into normal calf raises with your forefoot elevated, loaded isometrics, and if you can find a pad or mattress that you can stand on stand on 1 foot for 20-30s balancing on it. Poliquin step ups (actually a step down) and really deep squats also help people.

I've had achilles tendonitis in both ankles and ruptured every ligament in my right ankle and have constant weird flare ups. My friend is a well known PT in the rock climbing world so I've run the gamut of rehab movements and tend to keep a few in rotation at all times.

Daydream

« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2023, 06:57:56 AM »
Standing on your foot for 3min is an isometric, which are also shown to help alleviate tendonitis pain. Same with eccentric calf raises. 3min is super long, way too long actually and isometrics and eccentrics are only usually used during the initial phase of rehab.

After that you should also move into normal calf raises with your forefoot elevated, loaded isometrics, and if you can find a pad or mattress that you can stand on stand on 1 foot for 20-30s balancing on it. Poliquin step ups (actually a step down) and really deep squats also help people.

I've had achilles tendonitis in both ankles and ruptured every ligament in my right ankle and have constant weird flare ups. My friend is a well known PT in the rock climbing world so I've run the gamut of rehab movements and tend to keep a few in rotation at all times.
Great, thanks. How would I specifically diagnose what I have going on? It seems like achilles tendinitis but recently it moved to the bottom of my heel at times.

I will try the loaded calf raises soon too. But have been trying to stand on my toes for extended periods of time just throughout the day. Also been wearing an ankle compression sleeve at night and during the day

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Great, thanks. How would I specifically diagnose what I have going on? It seems like achilles tendinitis but recently it moved to the bottom of my heel at times.

I will try the loaded calf raises soon too. But have been trying to stand on my toes for extended periods of time just throughout the day. Also been wearing an ankle compression sleeve at night and during the day

There's people in this thread that know more than me, but achilles tendinitis often effects that area. I've dealt with it for a while, mainly in that spot. Down into your heel is the area they mean when they say it's 'insertional' - because that's where the tendon inserts into your foot. The achilles tendon goes a lot further down into the heel than we think it does (until it starts hurting down there).

If you haven't already, I would see a doctor or physiotherapist if one is available to you - they can give you the best exercises and stretches for you, and can give you a proper diagnosis. It sounds like achilles tendinitis to me, but Slap can't tell you that for sure. You don't want to treat the wrong problem and potentially make it worse.

If it's not possible for you to see a doctor or physiotherapist, I would just at least keep the exercises lighter and easier than you think you can handle to start, and then work your way up gradually as you find what helps you. @dr.kylebrown and @skateboardstrength on Instagram are two accounts that I have found helpful for general strength/health, but especially foot/ankle stuff.

Daydream

« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2023, 06:37:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There's people in this thread that know more than me, but achilles tendinitis often effects that area. I've dealt with it for a while, mainly in that spot. Down into your heel is the area they mean when they say it's 'insertional' - because that's where the tendon inserts into your foot. The achilles tendon goes a lot further down into the heel than we think it does (until it starts hurting down there).

If you haven't already, I would see a doctor or physiotherapist if one is available to you - they can give you the best exercises and stretches for you, and can give you a proper diagnosis. It sounds like achilles tendinitis to me, but Slap can't tell you that for sure. You don't want to treat the wrong problem and potentially make it worse.

If it's not possible for you to see a doctor or physiotherapist, I would just at least keep the exercises lighter and easier than you think you can handle to start, and then work your way up gradually as you find what helps you. @dr.kylebrown and @skateboardstrength on Instagram are two accounts that I have found helpful for general strength/health, but especially foot/ankle stuff.
Really appreciate your thoughtful and thorough response.

Question, can something like the foam pad for single leg balance really help stabilize the ankle and achilles tendon and help with recovery, strength? I know it's good for injury prevention too.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2023, 07:24:00 AM »
I just bought a used car. It was listed for 4k but I got it down to 2.5k when I bought it. It's gonna need new tires, brakes, and probably headlights. Turning into more of a financial investment than I thought it would be.

I mean to be honest 3.5k for a road worthy manual car is not bad, but I feel like for spending 3.5k I could have done better. 2010 mazda6 with 165kmiles with a 6spd standard transmission with a fart can, weird intake, and blue tinted headlights on it that I don't like. Just the shittest mods. The engine sounds/feels/looks ok, clutch and trans is tight. I know the car market's fucked but still feel like its too much.

It's really not, I sell way bigger pieces of shit for a lot more all the time

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2023, 11:07:40 PM »
Girl G016 was a terrible idea.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 628
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2023, 01:46:21 AM »

Because of the short tail?
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2023, 02:08:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because of the short tail?
Yes, a nightmare for me :(
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2023, 04:55:24 AM »

not bad price honestly. in my area that would’ve costed 4500-5000CAD. 4500 with a engine check and abs lights

marcusbutler

• Rep: 42
« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2023, 07:04:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i will soon, in the near future, once again, buy wheels larger than what i can reasonably flip-trick with. and i’ll be upset.

I skate 50's but no one else skates 50's. So i have to skate 52's and deal with it. Brand new 52's with thunders. Im wheel biting like crazy.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1967
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2023, 06:04:43 AM »
Bought some Blazer Mids a couple weeks ago. First Nike purchase ever, and first non-Vans shoe in years.

They're really flimsy and spongey. The side panel started ripping less than a week in. They're such a nightmare to get on. I don't get the hype.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #264 on: September 29, 2023, 09:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I skate 50's but no one else skates 50's. So i have to skate 52's and deal with it. Brand new 52's with thunders. Im wheel biting like crazy.

52s are NOT 50s. 53 is my max, before it becomes a board with big wheels.

what is your go to 50?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2023, 04:55:58 PM »
Bought a SeaRat 10" popsicle. Threw it on 215s and thought it'd make a really fun slappy board mich like how he makes it look on his IG.

Then I realized it's too big for me — 33" long, 15" WB, etc. My stance felt way off and it felt way too big for me all around.

I know this post is like 6 months old but if you still have that 10” SeaRat and want to sell it let me know.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2023, 10:53:08 PM »
literally any pant i bought to skate in without a gusseted crotch
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Bill Salt

« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2023, 07:19:06 AM »
I bought some...Last resorts...
They're shit.
I shouldn't have succomb to that fucking trend.
Now, I sold them to another victim...

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2023, 07:23:16 AM »
literally any pant i bought to skate in without a gusseted crotch

Do you have any recommendations? Since I saw this post I've been looking into gusseted pants, never really heard about it before but it seems promising.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2023, 03:09:14 PM »
Es Creager's. I really need to stop buying shoes online.