Author Topic: sk8 lingo of yesteryear  (Read 4863 times)

Free hat

Re: sk8 lingo of yesteryear
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2024, 08:18:44 AM »
I take back my comment about “bussin” being the worst. Dank is a felony. Usually committed by people who have multicolor shoelaces and wear a lanyard from a music festival

sfa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2024, 08:30:18 AM »
do old trick names count?

does anyone know what a cabbage leaf is?
I need a coffee

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2024, 08:36:59 AM »

I was thinking about this as well. Growing up in a small town, where nobody took skateboarding seriously (and it was around year 2000 so pre-online videos), me and my friend had to go to some very old books written in the 80s to learn how to skateboard.

I always remember that Judo meant the foot was going above the board, and frigid below (or something - having played tony hawk's pro skater, I was suprised to learn that a madonna had to be to tail). I never seen anyone call it a frigid air to my face (I also have never done anything besides flip tricks to fakie at maximum half a meter below the coping, so that might be part of the explanation as well).

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2024, 08:55:32 AM »
wait, we can't say steezy anymore?

wicked is pretty awful.

I randomly said wicked to an old man serving me in the post office. As I walked away I wondered where the hell that came from, I hadn't used that word in years
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65231
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2024, 09:01:35 AM »
Not sure when this happened but at some point wheelies turned into manuals and nose wheelies into nose manuals.

When Danny Way started doing no handed Madonnas peoples called them "madollies".

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2024, 09:05:08 AM »
When I went to college, "jacked" confused most of my non-skating friends.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2024, 09:35:25 AM »
Seems like I hardly ever hear people say "poser" anymore.

That was like the grandaddy of all insults back in the day.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2024, 09:45:17 AM »
Expand Quote
I still say smubba for small hubba and no one knows what I’m talking about. “Oh, you mean the down ledge?!”
[close]

I believe there was a transworld article in the early 2000s that went over sk8 lingo and, "smubba," was one of the words they defined. That always stuck out to me, but I've never called a small hubba a smubba.

There was about a year period after Baker Has A Deathwish came out where the skaters from the next town over kept saying, "for Satan," before they tried anything the same way Lizard King did in that part. Man, that was annoying. We were around 18 and 19 years old.

Lol yeah it was called “skate slang” they had about 4-5 terms per issue for about a year.

Metal heads and people who gatekeep music still say it. The “name 5 songs” types

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2024, 10:41:49 AM »
There was this jock kid at my high school around 1993 I think and he asked me if I could trolly Ollie and I still to this day have no idea what he meant.

Heshrat

• Rep: -8
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2024, 11:38:50 AM »
Radical and cowabunga
I did your mom

Heshrat

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2024, 11:41:37 AM »
wait, we can't say steezy anymore?

wicked is pretty awful.
Someone told me nobody outside of New England calls things wicked lol
I did your mom

Heshrat

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2024, 11:45:14 AM »
Bitchin’
Holmes
Shralp
Hahaha I say bitching
I did your mom

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2024, 12:08:27 PM »

My Dick
Chink Chink
Gay Twist
Chinese Ollie...... list goes on.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2024, 12:11:42 PM »
since the use of hand gestures and other body language is protected as free speech in the states, I'm going to lump in the fact that people don't really bash their tails on coping at skateparks anymore after someone lands a, "fresh," trick. as a kid, I always thought the vert guys who did that during the contest at the x-games were so cool.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2024, 12:47:41 PM »
I take back my comment about “bussin” being the worst. Dank is a felony. Usually committed by people who have multicolor shoelaces and wear a lanyard from a music festival

I think dank is pretty funny when used in a tongue-in-cheek fashion and can be acceptable when used sarcastically or to make fun of something, sincere usage of dank in any context outside of describing marijuana is pretty heinous though but I feel like I rarely hear it used that way.

Along the same lines, I hate when people say that something "slaps" when not referring to a song. Your sandwich does not slap, Mac Dre slaps! Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Free hat

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2024, 01:40:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think dank is pretty funny when used in a tongue-in-cheek fashion and can be acceptable when used sarcastically or to make fun of something, sincere usage of dank in any context outside of describing marijuana is pretty heinous though but I feel like I rarely hear it used that way.

Along the same lines, I hate when people say that something "slaps" when not referring to a song. Your sandwich does not slap, Mac Dre slaps! Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Idk this website kinda slap tbh

I’m sorry

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2024, 01:44:31 PM »
Calling transition “tranny”

Giocattoli Inutili

• Rep: 2
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2024, 01:56:24 PM »
gettin faded

D10S

• Rep: -64
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2024, 02:06:06 PM »
SHALOM

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2024, 02:24:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I still say smubba for small hubba and no one knows what I’m talking about. “Oh, you mean the down ledge?!”
[close]

I believe there was a transworld article in the early 2000s that went over sk8 lingo and, "smubba," was one of the words they defined. That always stuck out to me, but I've never called a small hubba a smubba.

There was about a year period after Baker Has A Deathwish came out where the skaters from the next town over kept saying, "for Satan," before they tried anything the same way Lizard King did in that part. Man, that was annoying. We were around 18 and 19 years old.
[close]

Lol yeah it was called “skate slang” they had about 4-5 terms per issue for about a year.

Expand Quote

[close]

Metal heads and people who gatekeep music still say it. The “name 5 songs” types
We gotta! Did you see how unreadable band logos just got ganked by fast fashion in general? They'll take it all if we let them.

In Texas, in the late 80s, we used Rougeish in the same way you would use Gnarly.
unreadable trap logo

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2024, 02:52:46 PM »
the first thing that comes to mind from "sk8 lingo of yesteryear" is railslide, followed quickly by k-grind.

glad to see a few others are uncomfortable with tre flip. i feel false if i say it. it's a 360 flip for me.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
  • sup dog
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2024, 03:01:01 PM »
I’m gonna comment on every single one of your videos saying they are “mad dank, yo”

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
  • sup dog
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2024, 03:04:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
We gotta! Did you see how unreadable band logos just got ganked by fast fashion in general? They'll take it all if we let them.

In Texas, in the late 80s, we used Rougeish in the same way you would use Gnarly.
You just said “ganked” holy shit. Made my day. 

Pintofguinness

• Rep: -5
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2024, 04:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think dank is pretty funny when used in a tongue-in-cheek fashion and can be acceptable when used sarcastically or to make fun of something, sincere usage of dank  in any context outside of describing marijuana is pretty heinous though but I feel like I rarely hear it used that way.

Isn’t that a direct quote from e40 or dreggs one or something sheepman  8)

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 260
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2024, 04:17:03 PM »
How am I going to say fake steeze if I can’t say steeze?

cap rizz

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2024, 04:24:18 PM »
Anyone else remember 360 flips being called sawblades for about 10 minutes in about 1997?

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2024, 04:27:05 PM »
Active Erica to fakie
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Free hat

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2024, 04:30:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m gonna comment on every single one of your videos saying they are “mad dank, yo”

Damn, full on juggalo Jesse Pinkman. I’m not ready

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2024, 04:36:15 PM »
Safe. Ill. Hella. Slick. Hammers.

Isn’t “bussin” just something Korean people say when they eat something tasty? I guess tasty is another one.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2024, 05:08:24 PM »
Beast used to always make me cringe, with the exception of knowing it’s corny and spelling it BEAZT.