Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 43241 times)

_UniversalTruth_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2014, 08:26:52 AM »
The worst coffee I ever drank was in Dunkin' Donuts. I wanted to finish it cus I paid for a large one but after two sips I was over it.. disgusting.

I've just tried out my french press, it's almost as good as the espresso-boiler. Put some ginger in there and stired it, thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:48:05 AM by _UniversalTruth_ »
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

foureyedjim

« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
Starbucks coffee is pretty bad on it's own.  Most people don't complain because they only order the sweet drinks.
If you want decent cheap coffee, get it at Trader Joes.  They have giant tins for I think 5 bucks or so.

I'm currently drinking this stuff:
http://www.portolacoffeelab.com/beans-1/melanges/alchemistic

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2014, 06:34:31 PM »
currently just drinking decaf because of a head injury but these guys are right across the street from my and roast once a week. the aroma reaches a two block radius its amazing.

http://idealcoffee.ca
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »
The decaf they sell actually sounds really good.....I like how they break down their blends.....

dillanharp

« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2014, 12:42:27 AM »
Starbucks coffee is pretty bad on it's own.  Most people don't complain because they only order the sweet drinks.
If you want decent cheap coffee, get it at Trader Joes.  They have giant tins for I think 5 bucks or so.

Pike is the worst, super acidic. I liked the "blonde" roasts they have, but they only have them in the morning. Drinking Peet's out the kurig and the french press.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2014, 05:52:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Pike is the worst, super acidic. I liked the "blonde" roasts they have, but they only have them in the morning. Drinking Peet's out the kurig and the french press.

they came out with the blonde as a reaction to people feeling their coffee taste burnt. i heard a story about it on npr when they first rolled it out.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

they came out with the blonde as a reaction to people feeling their coffee taste burnt. i heard a story about it on npr when they first rolled it out.

the blonde isnt bad. i got used to the darker roasts, but unless theyre super fresh, they start to taste really shitty after drinking them for a while because of how burnt they are.

ive tried a bunch of stuff from TJs, and its decent for the price. nothing special though.

did peets buy out caribou coffee? the caribou in our town switched over to peets, but i havent been in there. my brother used to work there and would bring home some pretty bomb beans.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
Yah....the blonde was a response to places like McDonald's getting into the coffee game....

In Canada to compete w. Tim Hortons they call it like...True North blend....

I mess w. Starbucks....I'm glad they are there....if I'm in an airport I go there.  There's one up the street that has a clover which is nice.  Not a go to place but a solid back up....

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »
Damn, you guys are serious about this. I'll just get the cheapest breakfast blend (usually Kroger) and eye ball it as far as measurements go. I just stopped using creamer which was an amazing decision. 
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
Keurig's are super convenient - but I've read shit about the plastic cups being pretty bad for your health, and people at work we're talking about having headaches from that shit, fuck that...i'd rather just take the time and do it right.

You guys ever watch Travel channel's "Dangerous Grounds" - Todd Carmichael's coffee is very good. highly recommend his shit.
http://www.lacolombe.com/coffees

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: April 27, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »
My set up....

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »
Been drinking a nice Colombian single origin.

Current setup is Hario Skerton grinder (wish I had an electric burr grinder though) and large sized Clever Coffee dripper

I guess this means the French press will be for cold brewing/tea now because I don't think I'm going back to it for hot coffee.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »
I just bought my first french press a few weeks ago and I love it.  The coffee is much softer, with no burnt quality like with standard coffee makers.  I'm actually looking forward to doing some cold brews in a few weeks.

Also, for those looking for amazing coffee we have two amazing roasters here in Tulsa, both able to ship their stuff.
http://www.doubleshotcoffee.com/ 
Doubleshot is a little coffee shop and roaster that got into a huge lawsuit with Starbucks over the name (We had it first) and Doubleshot won.  So, if you're anti-starbucks and want to throw a fuck you their way, support this guy.  Amazing coffee, on another level.

http://www.topecacoffee.com/
Another really cool company, Topeca, actually owns their own plantations, and has a cool "Seed to cup" business model.  Awesome company, I have tons of friends who work in the roastery or are involved with the business/design aspects. 

Or whatever.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #253 on: September 15, 2014, 01:45:20 AM »
I love using the Aero Press.. I think its amazing for single cups.. And recently I found an amazing way to make iced coffee with it.

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/aeropresscoldbrew

Also what water/coffee bean ratio do you guys use? That makes the biggest difference in taste in my experience. Using 20 grams off coffee with 100ml water for the iced drink worked amazing.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #254 on: September 15, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »
Coffee + Palace

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2014, 04:56:49 AM »
I am all over Italian Espresso.

Illy and Lavazza are my favourites so far.

A few Italians I know mentioned:
Lucaff?-
Nannini-
and Caffee New York Espresso.

Anyone ever tried one of these?

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #256 on: September 15, 2014, 06:36:47 AM »
Coffee + Palace

aeropress #trendwatch2014

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »
I am all over Italian Espresso.

Illy and Lavazza are my favourites so far.

A few Italians I know mentioned:
Lucaff?-
Nannini-
and Caffee New York Espresso.

Anyone ever tried one of these?

I'm not crazy about espresso so I wasn't crazy about lucaffes taste but the overtly racist packaging catching and it tasted like it was supposed to.
  around me all the Italians drink lavazza. I think that's the industry standard.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Candygirl

• Rep: -4
« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
Lavazza is good, not too expensive and tastes good. Illy costs more, but tastes a little better in my opinion.

There must be some better Espresso than that. Please someone help me on my journey. I want to catch them all.

dillanharp

« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2014, 02:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Coffee + Palace

[close]

It's hard enough grinding beans and boiling water for the french press, dead eyed and groggy in the morning.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Coffee + Palace

[close]

there's a inverted method while using the aeropress that allows the coffee to "sift" longer rather than run through the filter as soon you pour the water.  http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress/

[

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Coffee + Palace

[close]

Fuck.. Just got one for my birthday. Seriously though I'm preferring it to French press quite a lot; so quick and smooth. Also def gonna be trying that inverted brewing method in that link fulfillthedream posted, cheers dude!

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: September 16, 2014, 04:13:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Coffee + Palace

[close]

[close]

Fuck.. Just got one for my birthday. Seriously though I'm preferring it to French press quite a lot; so quick and smooth. Also def gonna be trying that inverted brewing method in that link fulfillthedream posted, cheers dude!

np man! i like french presses- usually for a cup with breakfast and then the rest in the thermos for work.. But lately I just do one cup in the aeropress and  it taste fresh til the end.

Enjoy!

[

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »
I love coffee, even to the point of working in it. I have a french press, v60, aeropress, moka pot, and make cold brews with cheesecloth and mason jars. I have a hario grinder and my kettle holds temperatures and comes with a swan-neck pour spout for consistent pour overs. V60 is definitely my preferred brew method, altough I wanna dabble with chemex or a nel drip soon.

I have so many fucking beans, I dont even know where to begin. Thanks, work! For those who want a solid, consistent coffee, try these:

https://www.sightglasscoffee.com/resources

SF killing the hipster coffee game.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
I love coffee, even to the point of working in it. I have a french press, v60, aeropress, moka pot, and make cold brews with cheesecloth and mason jars. I have a hario grinder and my kettle holds temperatures and comes with a swan-neck pour spout for consistent pour overs. V60 is definitely my preferred brew method, altough I wanna dabble with chemex or a nel drip soon.

I have so many fucking beans, I dont even know where to begin. Thanks, work! For those who want a solid, consistent coffee, try these:

https://www.sightglasscoffee.com/resources

SF killing the hipster coffee game.

Damn!!! I miss living in the Bay with all the coffee choices. Im here in China where I found one local roaster! Its a bit more than what I was used to buying (starbucks beans cause its the only choice for whole beans) I wanna find a roaster back home in the US that would ship by the pound out here if shipping fee's aren't too much.

Also how do you like using a manual grinder?? I got one but it hurts the shit out of my already fucked up wrists.

[

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
I'm grinding with a Hario Skerton and that shit is a pain in the ass.

I'd buy an electric burr grinder but I'm broke as shit these days.

Also, you guys need to join me and start using a Clever coffee maker. I don't think I'm going back to anything else for a long time. Only downside is maybe volume but it fills up one travel mug for me which is perfect

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »
I don't find grinding it bugs me......gives me something to do while the water is boiling....

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
Damn!!! I miss living in the Bay with all the coffee choices. Im here in China where I found one local roaster! Its a bit more than what I was used to buying (starbucks beans cause its the only choice for whole beans) I wanna find a roaster back home in the US that would ship by the pound out here if shipping fee's aren't too much.

Also how do you like using a manual grinder?? I got one but it hurts the shit out of my already fucked up wrists.

Shit man, we'll talk. I get free beans all the time and if shipping isn't too much I'll happily send you some beans from time to time. Hopefully customs won't wreck it though haha. Grinding manually isn't bad. I've used the same grinder every day once or twice a day for the last three years. Havent changed the burrs yet, and it's starting to show. Dialing in for v60 isn't as easy as it used to be. Maybe it's time to go electric haha.

also, I did end up doing cold brew today. Totally eyeballed it, hopefully it'll turn out good. If it's too strong its going into a pork brine.

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
« Reply #268 on: September 18, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
i also have worked at a few coffee shops its a rad job. The first spot i worked at had a roaster on the premises. a nice Probat.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -43
« Reply #269 on: September 18, 2014, 05:55:39 PM »
currently just drinking decaf because of a head injury but these guys are right across the street from my and roast once a week. the aroma reaches a two block radius its amazing.

http://idealcoffee.ca

Dude you skate and live in Toronto don't buy Cut Coffee?  :-\ Best beans in town at the best price and Sam skates and employs a bunch of skaters.  :-