Author Topic: bikes  (Read 313125 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: bikes
« Reply #810 on: April 20, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »
Like these?
http://www.linusbike.com/collections/bikes-dutchi-1-dutchi-3-dutchi-8

The ones I've seen have been well made and ride nice.  The 3 speed is priced fair. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

straight

« Reply #811 on: April 20, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
Yes exactly thank you. What about for me? What are some good brands? I don't wanna be cruising around on a darkstar if you catch my drift.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #812 on: June 08, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »
I'm not big on anything mechanical so I'm thinking at sme point to sell both my bikes and get someone fixed, single, or something with the internal gears.....the derailers and shifters and shit bug me....

Any of you guys have any recommendations?  Pros/cons.....

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #813 on: June 08, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
depends on where you live / how long / often you'll be riding

I have been running a single speed for a while and love it. I live in Berkeley and it's generally pretty mellow hillwise so I've never had a problem. I would say the gear ratio is all personal preference but for me i prefer to have it a hair on the "too easy to pedal on flat" side of things so when I hit a hill I'm doing alright. What I like about the single speed is that it's super low maintenance. I found a used Motobecane 10 speed at a used sporting goods store for $95. The gears were a little messed up so I ripped off the derailer , took links out of the chain, and converted it into a single speed. pretty fun
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #814 on: June 08, 2016, 01:22:05 PM »
Yah....my plan is to run the same gear on my road bike to see how I can handle it.....I run into some hills like bridges and stuff but nothing too steep.....if shit fails, I'll convert it.....maybe try fixed....it just seems like I'm asking for it though....

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1529
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #815 on: June 10, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
I have gears, both front and back and both non-functioning (no money right now). So I set the manually to the best single speed that works for most of my riding. But it does bum me out when I have long stretches of straight road and no higher gear. So I would go with an internal 3 or 8 speed.

Grampa

• Rep: 151
« Reply #816 on: June 10, 2016, 09:38:39 PM »
Fixed gear/track bikes are extremely easy to maintain and are insanely fun to ride. I've had only a fixed gear for almost ten years and have never once thought "I could use some gears". Even when I lived in SF it was no problem. It sounds stupid, but it really feels like your bike is an extension of you. Give it a try.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #817 on: June 11, 2016, 12:07:54 AM »
Yeah...I totally understand that....you are never pedestrian on the bike.....I like the simplicity...it's like a skateboard....

I just worry a bit about it hurting my knees and just fucking up on it.....id be so bummed if I got hurt on a bike and so far pounding up hills strained my knees....messing around with my posture to see if I can ease up a bit....plus I'm a bit of a spaz and I could see me blowing the technique.....

Might give it a go though...

Grampa

• Rep: 151
« Reply #818 on: June 11, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
Yeah...I totally understand that....you are never pedestrian on the bike.....I like the simplicity...it's like a skateboard....

I just worry a bit about it hurting my knees and just fucking up on it.....id be so bummed if I got hurt on a bike and so far pounding up hills strained my knees....messing around with my posture to see if I can ease up a bit....plus I'm a bit of a spaz and I could see me blowing the technique.....

Might give it a go though...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-knees.html

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #819 on: June 11, 2016, 03:54:08 PM »
Thanks...I suspected that was gonna come up...but I'll see....there's so many things....'running in bare feet is a cure all!' Type stuff....I could see it though because a fixie more of your entire leg is working.

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #820 on: June 12, 2016, 06:16:35 AM »
I ride fixed gear, it's fun! obviously it's hard at first but my endurance has become so much better because of it it's amazing. Also, once you're comfortable on a fixed gear, you have WAY more control over your bike and that's something road bikes just can't offer. Also, if you live in a highly populated area, fixed gear is great because you never have to think about switching gears and you can just focus on cycling.

Mother Goose.

« Reply #821 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:33 PM »
the fixed side threading on my rear wheel is dookied. i can't install a lockring and haven't used one in over 2 years. i'm broke and not really trying to get a cheapo formula set or anything like that. it's a velocity chukker laced to an all-city track hub. it's heavy but it could take a beating. the rim is also bent as of a few weeks ago but i kept riding the shit out of it. spokes on the front are dookied too. cog finally spun off and not really feeling the damn thing anymore. i've been freewheeling the biggest hill in my city without a drivetrain these past couple nights out of boredom. i forgot what coasting felt like. my current bike is an aventon cordoba with a mish mash of good and shitty parts (bin finds and freebies), but i preferred the shorter top tube and head tube on my previous bike, windsor the hour, both are 58cm. i like using a 130mm stem. it took a while to get use to 42cm 31 ergonova bars. i'd like to replace them with another pair of whatever zipps these are. they were comfortable. oh yeah, no foot retention, but it's ok, i manage.. ted shred. will clipless come next bike. i have some keo pedals, no shoes. fucking loser  :)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:44:41 PM by Mother Goose. »

Mother Goose.

« Reply #822 on: June 15, 2016, 07:37:19 AM »
livestream of tour de suisse stage 5

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #823 on: June 15, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »
Jesus you guys have some nice bikes.

I got another Salsa stem (I love these damn things) and some risers. Feat. my Trash Bag

Is that a flite 100?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #824 on: June 16, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
Yah....that's kinda how I might be like too....but I do get in the city...it's rad because you do have to start and stop a lot and you're in direct control.....

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #825 on: June 19, 2016, 07:27:46 PM »
i've really been considering a large BMX cruiser.  anyone have one of these and can give me some pros and cons?  getting sick of popping tires and dodging drunks on my fixed.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #826 on: June 19, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
A friend of mine has a SE Bikes - OM Flyer.  It's a 26" BMX bike, and is super fun, quick, and comfortable.  I wouldn't pay full price, but if there was a nice used one, I'd consider it.

Like this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:46:53 PM by Joust Ostrich »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #827 on: June 19, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »
i was actually just looking at those. 

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #828 on: June 20, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »
"volume hessian" is almost 200$ cheaper and is very similar^.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #829 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »
I had a BMX when I lived downtown and it made sense....you could get by riding on sidewalks....

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #830 on: June 21, 2016, 10:41:54 PM »
Got this 24 inch Haro cruiser from a friend of mine earlier for $150

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2531
« Reply #831 on: June 21, 2016, 11:13:43 PM »
My knees hurt just from looking at that bike.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #832 on: June 21, 2016, 11:22:48 PM »
I had one when I lived downtown....BMX s work well cause you can ride them on the sidewalk....but yes, not an efficient bike,....they are good too though because you never have a problem with them and they are cheap.....I rolled with strictly $50 BMX s....when they get stolen it's an inconvenience....

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: June 22, 2016, 06:17:42 AM »
My knees hurt just from looking at that bike.

this thing is definitely going to take some getting used to.  haven't ridden an BMX since i was like 9.  i think the 26 would have fit me better, but im still gonna give this one a couple months to see if i can make it work.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2531
« Reply #834 on: June 22, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
I guess you should be fine if you don't go on long(ish) rides, but knowing how many skaters have busted knees, even short ones might be harsh.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
the knees aren't feeling great, to be honest.  but i'm just gonna use this a a bar bike; wanted something i can beat up and be incognito on. 

Heather Chandler

« Reply #836 on: June 24, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
This is a 1994 aluminum GT Zaskar LE I've had since '94 (built in USA).  Bought the frame in Boulder, CO and built it up.  Glad I never got rid of it, so I can use it as a commuter now.  I live in a pretty small town, and my job is only a few miles from my house.  Have a rack for my board and just updated with some low rise bmx style bars, stem, and stem adaptor.  Actually rides way better with the wide and higher bars than it did with the narrow flat mtb bars. 

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #837 on: June 24, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »
This is a 1994 aluminum GT Zaskar LE I've had since '94 (built in USA).  Bought the frame in Boulder, CO and built it up.  Glad I never got rid of it, so I can use it as a commuter now.  I live in a pretty small town, and my job is only a few miles from my house.  Have a rack for my board and just updated with some low rise bmx style bars, stem, and stem adaptor.  Actually rides way better with the wide and higher bars than it did with the narrow flat mtb bars. 

I used to love the Zaskar and even more the Zizang back in the early 90s.  I could afford the lower Timberline though.  Great bikes.

Squirrel Girl

« Reply #838 on: August 01, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »

I love my bike. I bought it off an elderly man on Craigslist for cheap. It's a 1987 Schwinn Le Tour. Unfortunately, it needed a bunch of work. I buffed out the rusty frame with steel wool and sprayed some clear coat so it wouldn't come back. Many parts needed replaced, like the headset, brake levers, cables, stem, seat, bar wrap, rear derailleur, tires, tubes, chain, both wheels, brakes, and bottom bracket. I put a lot of work into her.

I'm afraid it might be too small though, I'm 5' 11" and it's a 53cm frame. My crotch gets chafed and bleeds even with bike shorts, and occasionally my knees and lower back hurt. Sometimes my knees hit the stem when climbing or sprinting, that's not normal, right? I'd go to the local bike store and ask, but last time I brought my bike in looking for help, they made fun of my ride. They were only interested in trash talking it while trying to sell me a bike I could never afford.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:35:49 PM by Squirrel Girl »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #839 on: August 01, 2016, 03:48:49 PM »
^
I like that thing. It is small for you though. I'm 5'10" and have pretty short legs, I'm on a 56. I need to ride my bike more but I'm terrified of getting hit by a car around here. Literally every other day a cyclist seems to be hit.
you never know about pre-cum