Author Topic: bikes  (Read 310104 times)

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 225
Re: bikes
« Reply #1620 on: July 26, 2020, 04:55:25 PM »
So i‘m on my way home from work on my bike and stop at a Red light. Next to me is this delivery guy on his bike as well.
Behind us is this dude in a big SUV. Lights turn green an obviously it took us a second to leave with the bikes.

Dude in the suv honks and overtakes us at  a spot where overtaking is Forbidden.

Delivery guy Flips him the bird.

Delvery guy turns right next street.

Next red light guess who is waiting in front... SUV dude.

I overtake him and now i‘m in front.

He‘s right behind me.

Lights turn green, and OF course i wait a few seconds extra to piss him off.

Like maybe 2-3 seconds.

Suddenly he rams his car into my backwheel

I look at him like wtf...

My wheel is stuck under his car.

He reverses and my bike comes loose again

He grins and takes off.

Surprisingly i could take a pic of his license plate.

I dont now how but my backwheel with is just slightly warped, nothing i can‘t fix myself.

Filed a police report and now he‘s  up for

–speeding
–honking im an non honking area
–„attacking“me
–illegal overtaking
–drivers escape.

Am I overreacting by filing a report?
I meam what if i fall and break my skull?

Holy shit, sorry that happened to you. Not overreacting at all in my opinion, people forget that they’re in 3,000 pound metal machines as it is which is gnarly enough, but when they’re intentionally weaponizing them or using them to intimidate, there needs to be some sort of consequences.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1621 on: July 26, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
So i‘m on my way home from work on my bike and stop at a Red light. Next to me is this delivery guy on his bike as well.
Behind us is this dude in a big SUV. Lights turn green an obviously it took us a second to leave with the bikes.

Dude in the suv honks and overtakes us at  a spot where overtaking is Forbidden.

He‘s right behind me.

Like maybe 2-3 seconds.

He grins and takes off.

I dont now how but my backwheel with is just slightly warped, nothing i can‘t fix myself.

–speeding
–„attacking“me
–illegal overtaking
–drivers escape.

you aren't over reacting at all. That shitbag weaponized his vehicle. fuck them. Glad the local cops are actually helping
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1622 on: July 26, 2020, 07:33:50 PM »
Get em, Pica
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1623 on: July 26, 2020, 11:12:23 PM »
what an idiot. He deserves to get his license taken away and be forced to try out this bike thing. I guess I would have handled the situation differently, my anger issues are in full effect when a car driver fucks up.

within the last 5 years it got way saver to ride a bike here though, mainly because people in cars look out a lot more then they used to.

edit:

I finally ordered a bike at the shop (went with suicycle, if someones wants to know). A salomon surly straggle with a 650B wheelset and a nitto handlebar. it will kinda have this look, just a lil bit more funky:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:27:19 PM by Matze »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1624 on: July 27, 2020, 04:52:48 AM »
That looks awesome, good job on doing the build yourself. I really want to learn how to do more maintenance myself, i am currently looking for a frame to throw my old 105 components on.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
« Reply #1625 on: July 27, 2020, 05:02:01 AM »

He‘s right behind me.

Like maybe 2-3 seconds.

He grins and takes off.

–speeding
–„attacking“me
–illegal overtaking
–drivers escape.

no way is this overreacting. FUCK THIS KOOK!
i hope all the charges stick, and he has to pay!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1626 on: July 27, 2020, 05:24:05 AM »
yo fuck that driver dude, pica. hopefully he has to pay you up for a nice new wheelset and then some.

matze that bike looks awesome, i've been thinking of saving up for a surly frame to put my singlespeed stuff on, since the frame of the bike i built up from my buddies parts is actually a too big.

having so much trouble finding frames in my size... i'm saving up for something like a surly, soma, all city frame. ideally if i could get a pake rumrunner in my size that would be sick, but i can't find one anywhere in europe. hope they make them again at some point.

then i want to build up a fixie, too, but again it's hard to find frames/used bikes in my size. basically impossible. so i even looked at njs export and since some of those frames cost around 500 i've been thinking of buying one over there since they have all kinds of sizes and because dents and stuff don't bother me. downside will be of course no drillings for attachments but i'd be fine with that. anyone has actual experience with ordering njs parts from there or tracksupermarket?

i also found this bike that looked awesome, pretty much a freestyle fixie. those were dirt cheap, but they look cool and maybe with better components could become really nice. discontinued though, i've been looking for used ones on ebay and some seem to have been sold for only 250. octane one zoid:

what's cool about this bike is that it would be super chill to ride for me. i have short legs and a long torso and that makes most bikes fit weird. my current bikes standover i.e. is way too high, like i can't at all and have to look out to not sack onto the top tube constantly. but the reach is alright and comfortable and i have no neck or back issues from riding for longer periods. probably also easier to learn wheelies on than my current frame.

jealous of all the nice gravel and mountainbikes you guys build yourself. that is on the bucket list to build as well, and i might still have a new mountain bike frame at my parents house that i can build up, just have to get it here. two days ago i had to take a citybike and managed to do small bunnyhops over bumps in park on my way home, it was super fun.

sorry for the long ass incoherent post and thanks for your patience anyone who made it to the end lol.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1627 on: July 27, 2020, 05:38:56 AM »

He‘s right behind me.

Like maybe 2-3 seconds.

He grins and takes off.

–speeding
–„attacking“me
–illegal overtaking
–drivers escape.

good on you  that happened to my wheel once
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1628 on: July 27, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »
past 2 days I've gone out, unleashed dogs have walked directly in front of my moving bike. First time, this junior yuppie with a golden retriever was standing in one lane of the bike path, the dog in the other. I gestured "what gives" and the guy says "I see you buddy," but doesn't move or call his dog. I swerved onto the grass and flipped the bird. This guy goes ballistic and starts yelling, "fuck me? really? no fuck you. look at you and what you're doing."

Today, I'm riding on the same path, and this young gal with 2 dogs is also walking in both lanes. As I approach, I figure she'll call her dog, but no, the fucking dog walks right in front of me, into my front wheel and I had to swerve onto the rail road tracks, losing my banana. She says "Sorry."

I don't care about dogs without leashes most of the time, but for goodness sake, make sure your dog is trained. Like, really, what dog walks in front of a moving bike?

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1629 on: July 27, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »
Pica, You're underreacting.  Fuck that dude, he needs to learn a lesson.

Lt Frank that build looks great, well done.

Matze's sounds good too.

Did my longest ride in 4 years.  Still under 40 miles, but for the last 2 years I couldn't do over 20 without my knee blowing up, so I'm pleased, for an old guy.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1523
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1630 on: July 27, 2020, 11:17:07 PM »
past 2 days I've gone out, unleashed dogs have walked directly in front of my moving bike. First time, this junior yuppie with a golden retriever was standing in one lane of the bike path, the dog in the other. I gestured "what gives" and the guy says "I see you buddy," but doesn't move or call his dog. I swerved onto the grass and flipped the bird. This guy goes ballistic and starts yelling, "fuck me? really? no fuck you. look at you and what you're doing."

Today, I'm riding on the same path, and this young gal with 2 dogs is also walking in both lanes. As I approach, I figure she'll call her dog, but no, the fucking dog walks right in front of me, into my front wheel and I had to swerve onto the rail road tracks, losing my banana. She says "Sorry."

I don't care about dogs without leashes most of the time, but for goodness sake, make sure your dog is trained. Like, really, what dog walks in front of a moving bike?

I have two dogs and they will swerve in front of cyclists or runners, leashed or unleashed, they just don't care for faster moving people (so I have to be more vigilant). From what I've seen, most dogs are like that, so its up to the owners to pay attention.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1631 on: July 28, 2020, 05:05:18 AM »
I experienced a couple with a dog on a retractable leash, in my opinion, as an owner and avid walker of two dogs, the retractable leash is half a step above or below just not having a leash at all.
I am hauling down the path, and they go to one side, but create a cloths line across the path as I am hauling 30+ km at them, I duck, they raise the leash at the last min and I feel it bounce off my helmet.
I have avoided hitting an off leash dog and pushed into rocks and flatted on the same path.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 439
« Reply #1632 on: July 28, 2020, 05:30:38 AM »
Haven't had too many issues with dogs, its been the pedestrians. They have been walking/running in groups and they will spread out in a straight line across the path. Then act super offended when I hit them with "passing on the left". My disc brakes make a fair amount of noise/squeak, I usually give a courtesy tap on those then call out passing. Sorry I messed with your 11 minute mile Susan.

The other issue is kids on scooters and smaller bikes zig zagging across the path making it difficult to attempt a pass without getting close to them.

Also the people that are solo that are walking/running up the center of the path and or can't stay in a straight line.

Apparently I just don't like humans, I try to be on the trail by 5am to avoid as much as possible.     
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1523
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1633 on: July 28, 2020, 06:19:31 AM »
Just got my wife a used entry level Scott hybrid, which is still better than the sad hybrid commuter that I have. She's been ignoring proper cardio for years now and is now acting surprised how I am not sweating at all going at her pace (I've been commuting by bike everyday for 6-7 years and done lots of other strenuous activities on top of that).

Her conclusion: I've always been sweating more than you.

Really, though, is anyone stuck being a workout buddy to someone with far lesser abilities? From what I can read on the internet, the solution is to have additional solo sessions or to just do additional time after the other one is finished.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
« Reply #1634 on: July 28, 2020, 07:17:25 AM »
Just got my wife a used entry level Scott hybrid, which is still better than the sad hybrid commuter that I have. She's been ignoring proper cardio for years now and is now acting surprised how I am not sweating at all going at her pace (I've been commuting by bike everyday for 6-7 years and done lots of other strenuous activities on top of that).

Her conclusion: I've always been sweating more than you.

Really, though, is anyone stuck being a workout buddy to someone with far lesser abilities? From what I can read on the internet, the solution is to have additional solo sessions or to just do additional time after the other one is finished.
Been there with my wife,tried to get her to ride with me a few years back. She did alright,but didn't get into it so now we usually just beach cruise. I'll do solo rides on the side if I gotta get my fix. It is fun having your significant other riding along with you though.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1635 on: July 28, 2020, 10:58:17 AM »
I do solo rides. I would always tell my wife though that riding bikes is only really fun if you pace with the rest of the people you are riding with. I went with a pack of buds and we had people all over the place. I had to ride slower just to not look like an asshole ditching them all. So going in groups for me is just for the social aspect. If I want to get a good workout,  I go alone.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1636 on: July 28, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »
Haven't had too many issues with dogs, its been the pedestrians. They have been walking/running in groups and they will spread out in a straight line across the path. Then act super offended when I hit them with "passing on the left". My disc brakes make a fair amount of noise/squeak, I usually give a courtesy tap on those then call out passing. Sorry I messed with your 11 minute mile Susan.

The other issue is kids on scooters and smaller bikes zig zagging across the path making it difficult to attempt a pass without getting close to them.

Also the people that are solo that are walking/running up the center of the path and or can't stay in a straight line.

Apparently I just don't like humans, I try to be on the trail by 5am to avoid as much as possible.   

I generally give folks a holler "coming up on your left" from fairly far back. Most of the time it's alright. It's really just the people not watching their dogs most of the time. For little kids, I have no problem slowing down- it's not like it's a skatepark, but they're still an annoyance.

Good on you for getting out at 5am. I live on the coast 6 hrs north of SF, so 5am, year round, is wet, cold, and foggy until about noon. It's usually cool and wet enough at 9am that not many folks are out yet.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1637 on: July 28, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »

He‘s right behind me.

Like maybe 2-3 seconds.

He grins and takes off.

–speeding
–„attacking“me
–illegal overtaking
–drivers escape.

Fuck that dude nine ways to Sunday. He attacked you with a 3,000lb machine.

Do anything and everything to make that scumbag pay. Don't be lenient on having him just pay for the wheel. If he's found guilty, take it to a shop for assessment and see if they're write it off as totaled so he has to pay for a completely new bike.

Assholes like him think it's funny to "teach cyclists a lesson" for being "too slow." But their actions get cyclists killed. They won't learn until it hits them where it counts - their wallet.

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1638 on: July 28, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
The inadvertent red rover wall is an absolute classic maneuver among any group of more than 2 on a confined path, and weirdly universal. It's like some sort of innate reaction.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1639 on: July 28, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »

Fuck that dude nine ways to Sunday. He attacked you with a 3,000lb machine.

Do anything and everything to make that scumbag pay. Don't be lenient on having him just pay for the wheel. If he's found guilty, take it to a shop for assessment and see if they're write it off as totaled so he has to pay for a completely new bike.

Assholes like him think it's funny to "teach cyclists a lesson" for being "too slow." But their actions get cyclists killed. They won't learn until it hits them where it counts - their wallet.

Couldn't agree more with this. Pica, you were attacked by an asshole with malicious intent who laughed it off as a joke. If the tables were turned and someone rear ended his precious SUV and reacted with a grin, undoubtedly shit would pop off. Fuck that guy and fuck his attitude. Ego and pride can be very dangerous things. You should not feel guilty in the slightest for pursuing this. Glad you weren't hurt and hopefully you aren't too rattled by the whole encounter to stop riding your bike.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1640 on: July 28, 2020, 08:02:27 PM »
File that report dude, fuck that guy.

I am a courier and people that fuck with cyclists deserve to pay.  He could've easily seriously injured you.  Its one thing to get mad at someone for riding like a dick but just out for a cruise and attacking you is uncalled for.  A bunch of my courier buddies carry bear mace in case shit goes down.  Dumping a can of mace inside a car to completely deescalate the situation is a good move.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1641 on: July 29, 2020, 06:27:08 PM »
Holy shit, Pica. Glad you got out with just a kinda fucked wheel and not some road rage asshole incident.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1642 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:00 PM »
got a mtb and been riding a bunch this summer. Great workout and really fun and challenging. The features that mountain bikers build can be totally insane. \

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1643 on: July 30, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »
got a mtb and been riding a bunch this summer. Great workout and really fun and challenging. The features that mountain bikers build can be totally insane. \

there's a whole park full of mtn bike trails through redwoods right behind the cottage i currently live in. so much of the stuff looks like natures skatepark.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1644 on: July 31, 2020, 12:38:45 AM »
our friend fongstarr slamed super hard on his bike, fell on his head and ended up with a head surgery. I'm not sure how he managed to make an instagram post cause he really looked bad. get well soon!

Grind King Rims

« Reply #1645 on: July 31, 2020, 02:18:40 AM »
Damn that's awful. Rest up quick Fongstarr. <3

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1646 on: July 31, 2020, 02:52:33 AM »
Damn, Godspeed Fongstarr.

Heal up

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 439
« Reply #1647 on: July 31, 2020, 04:33:13 AM »
Fuck, heal up dude! Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1648 on: July 31, 2020, 05:49:53 AM »
Wishing FongStarr A speedy recovery as well. And he just bought that Beautiful Bianchi bicycle.

Note for those on this page...FongStarr was in an accident and had surgery on his skull. Very scary...

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1649 on: July 31, 2020, 06:42:11 AM »
Very gnarly, hoping for a full and speedy recovery.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:46:29 AM by Lt. Frank Drebin »