Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 144118 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jobs
« Reply #780 on: June 04, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
Expand Quote
haven't posted in a bit...

i started a small company that builds mobile and web apps 5 years ago and we've been struggling to keep our head above water for the last 5 or so years. however, it finally feels like we've caught our stride and are getting out of the survival phase and into a growth phase. we might have to double in size the next year which is great but also got me nervous as it's kind of a do or die thing. you either learn how to grow that fast with quality or you loose customers and go under or stagnate in the survival phase working 12 hour days. we just brought a new home that i built a coffee shop in to work out of which allowed me to hire our first us based employee, a javascript intern. he's working out great, loves working in the coffee shop, loves radiohead and showed up with a supreme shirt the first day. i'm currently talking to a local park builder about pouring some concrete in the front driveway and hoping that this summer will be full

- code some stuff
- session qp
- dip in the pool
- repeat

i'd strongly encourage folks to try and work remote which gives you the flexibility to work on a side hustle. todays economy offers some great work life balance options if you can get remote. i e-know some guys that travel constantly and work from beaches in thailand and things like that. i did a talk last night at home away and walking through the cube farms in their office made me really appreciate how fortunate you are if you can work remote and choose how you spend your days.
[close]

Can I see photos of this in home coffee shop/remote working lounge?

this is the whole space with our intern working

this is a chalkboard sign with a logo i designed. we are naming it after one of our chickens who's called beans. you can hear the chickens in the shop throughout the day which i enjoy.

and this is the beverage situation. i'm trying to follow through on the analogy so i have the featured craft beers on a shelf and then we do italian sodas, espresso based drinks (my foam game is weak as fuck at the moment), pour over coffees and then have a lot of dark liquors. the sign is going to go above the metal shelves and we are going to list our current featured coffee and soda drinks.

i'm planning to get some swag items like shirts and mugs made to give out to fiends and family that come by.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #781 on: June 04, 2019, 06:20:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

i started a small company that builds mobile and web apps 5 years ago and we've been struggling to keep our head above water for the last 5 or so years. however, it finally feels like we've caught our stride and are getting out of the survival phase and into a growth phase. we might have to double in size the next year which is great but also got me nervous as it's kind of a do or die thing. you either learn how to grow that fast with quality or you loose customers and go under or stagnate in the survival phase working 12 hour days. we just brought a new home that i built a coffee shop in to work out of which allowed me to hire our first us based employee, a javascript intern. he's working out great, loves working in the coffee shop, loves radiohead and showed up with a supreme shirt the first day. i'm currently talking to a local park builder about pouring some concrete in the front driveway and hoping that this summer will be full

- code some stuff
- session qp
- dip in the pool
- repeat

i'd strongly encourage folks to try and work remote which gives you the flexibility to work on a side hustle. todays economy offers some great work life balance options if you can get remote. i e-know some guys that travel constantly and work from beaches in thailand and things like that. i did a talk last night at home away and walking through the cube farms in their office made me really appreciate how fortunate you are if you can work remote and choose how you spend your days.
[close]

[close]

this is a chalkboard sign with a logo i designed. we are naming it after one of our chickens who's called beans. you can hear the chickens in the shop throughout the day which i enjoy.

and this is the beverage situation. i'm trying to follow through on the analogy so i have the featured craft beers on a shelf and then we do italian sodas, espresso based drinks (my foam game is weak as fuck at the moment), pour over coffees and then have a lot of dark liquors. the sign is going to go above the metal shelves and we are going to list our current featured coffee and soda drinks.

i'm planning to get some swag items like shirts and mugs made to give out to fiends and family that come by.

That’s sick. Way better than what I was imagining
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Dusty Hotman

• Rep: 7
« Reply #782 on: June 04, 2019, 08:34:33 PM »
I work in sales for a chemical company specializing in recycling. Kind of a tough job, but there’s a lot of potential if you can meet the right people.

The recycling is cool, but I don’t know if I want to do it forever, ya know?

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #783 on: June 07, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I just started a temporary paid internship working in an accounting department, which is kinda my first "real job" I guess you could say. I find it fairly enjoyable and I think I'm picking up on it quick too. The person training me is leaving in a couple months and I was originally under the impression I'd be a shoo in for their job, but my supervisor told me the other day they want to replace them with someone "of their caliber or better". I'm super thankful for the experience I'm getting but I can't help but be kinda salty about that. My plan is to just work as hard as I can and learn as much as possible before my internship ends and hope they decide to give me a shot. The job posting is already up though, should I apply to it even though my supervisor basically told me I'm not going to be seen as qualified? I can't really argue that I'll be up to my coworker's level anytime soon, it's multiple years of experience vs my two months.
[close]

Always apply

Another position ended up opening up in the credit department and was offered to me, stoked! I don't know how much I'll enjoy my actual job but I'm happy to have landed something stable and full time fresh out of college. On that note, how much do you more experienced peeps value enjoyment of your job vs. making enough $ to enjoy your life outside of work? I'm potentially on a path to financial success but what if I find that I get no enjoyment from my work? Is that sort of thing a big deal to you or are you simply happy enough because your job allows you to afford the lifestyle you want? I'm very lucky and thankful that my personal life is going very well currently so I'm kinda feeling okay with my current path but I wanted to hear others' thoughts on this.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #784 on: June 07, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »
I’m looking for work. I’m sealing my criminal record I hope.
It’s been 12 years since my last felonious conviction 7? Since my last misdemeanor conviction.

I have a banging portfolio.
How do I explain my gaps in my Resume?
How do you make Babysitting or Childcare look more professional?

What type of work are you looking for?

Say you were a nanny (or whatever the male version would be) during your gaps in employment. That kind of work can actually be somewhat lucrative which can justify your choice to do that over having a real 9-5 job.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #785 on: June 07, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- code some stuff
- session qp
- dip in the pool
- repeat

[close]

[close]

dude that is awesome, I wanna be your intern. Good luck on the current/future growth !

Dustwardprez

« Reply #786 on: June 09, 2019, 08:09:00 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s been 12 years since my last felonious conviction 7? Since my last misdemeanor conviction.

[close]

Say you were a nanny (or whatever the male version would be) during your gaps in employment. That kind of work can actually be somewhat lucrative which can justify your choice to do that over having a real 9-5 job.

I’ve given up hope again.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #787 on: June 10, 2019, 03:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Look up for a certificate of some sorts for childcare/babysitting.
You can work towards that and put it on your CV. It will make a difference.
When my gf was applying for these jobs a lot of them required said certificates. I can’t be more specific because I don’t know the names and they will probably be different in the US but yeah have a look.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:23:46 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #788 on: June 10, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- code some stuff
- session qp
- dip in the pool
- repeat

[close]

[close]

[close]

dude that is awesome, I wanna be your intern. Good luck on the current/future growth !

hey thanks man!

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #789 on: June 10, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Why? I thought I gave you a reasonable answer haha
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #790 on: June 10, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »
I quit my job in December and was travelling up until about a month ago and then landed a job that runs until this October, which is perfect because I've been planning to move to Arizona around that time. The job pays well, is really chill with good people so it's an ideal situation. The only problem is that there's a construction component to the job (I work in the office) and even though I didn't get drug tested on hire, I was told recently that if there are any accidents in the yard everyone on the site gets tested, and they have a non-drug policy even for weed. Morally I want to say fuck it and I know I'm not a bad person or employee because I smoke weed on my time off, but I know I'd be pretty bummed if that's how I had to go out.

Edit: the job is in California so I'm buying my weed legally at the store.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:14:59 PM by offkilter »

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #791 on: June 10, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
Injured... almost ready to find work... super nervous. Maybe I mentioned this already?

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #792 on: June 10, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
Trying to break into the "outdoor" world.  Been applying at places like North Face, Columbia, Arc'teryx for data analytics positions but no interviews yet.  Forgot how much this part sucks, follow up, connect on linkedin, follow up again. 
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #793 on: June 11, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
Trying to break into the "outdoor" world.  Been applying at places like North Face, Columbia, Arc'teryx for data analytics positions but no interviews yet.  Forgot how much this part sucks, follow up, connect on linkedin, follow up again.

For me, it took that one internship with and a boss that had connections. Internship ended and I had a very good job interview shortly thereafter. I got the job and it was with one of the best companies in Chicago.I worked for 3 years, left, and do something completely different and much less lucrative these days. I like what I do though. But that internship was the catalyst for it all. It was a bullshit internship and I didnt expect a lot out of it. Grab a quick internship is my advice.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #794 on: June 12, 2019, 03:05:40 AM »
Forgot how much this part sucks, follow up, connect on linkedin, follow up again.

I’ve been in that limbo for 6 months now it’s not good. Got an interview two weeks ago and been waiting for a call. Worked in hospitality in between to pay the bills. May this end soon.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

santrope

• Rep: -5
« Reply #795 on: July 24, 2019, 12:42:53 AM »
And now I'm finally doing what I enjoy doing and making money from it. Somewhere around 2 years ago I started gambling, wrote an article about craps guide, which helped people who had just started playing this game.

slippy

« Reply #796 on: July 24, 2019, 01:59:32 PM »
And now I'm finally doing what I enjoy doing and making money from it. Somewhere around 2 years ago I started gambling, wrote an article about craps guide, which helped people who had just started playing this game.

Seen this shit in another thread.  My little bot bro growin up!

slippy

« Reply #797 on: July 24, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »
Also put way too many eggs in one basket in terms of a career path here at my current employer.  When that path didn't pan out I was left to go back to the entry level position.  No pay cut but a two tier demotion hurts like a son of a bitch.  Almost cried a bit in the stairwell on the way out.  low point but today feels better already.  Sent a follow up to a dream job in Bend, Oregon today so I'm just hoping something happens with that.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #798 on: July 24, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
Also put way too many eggs in one basket in terms of a career path here at my current employer.  When that path didn't pan out I was left to go back to the entry level position.  No pay cut but a two tier demotion hurts like a son of a bitch.  Almost cried a bit in the stairwell on the way out.  low point but today feels better already.  Sent a follow up to a dream job in Bend, Oregon today so I'm just hoping something happens with that.

What job? I live in Bend. Don't know if I've ever heard of anyone on here potentially living in Bend.

Irvine-Sucks.com

slippy

« Reply #799 on: July 24, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What job? I live in Bend. Don't know if I've ever heard of anyone on here potentially living in Bend.

It's a data analytics job at Deschutes Brewing!  small world or internet anyways!  It would be kick fuckin ass but it's hard to stand out on paper, I do well in interviews traditionally but I just need to get in there.  Any chance you know someone who works there perhaps on the corporate side??

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #800 on: July 27, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
im looking to leave the job at the skateshop ive worked at for 10 years- east coast slappers holler at your boy for work!
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

theSketchLord

• Rep: 42
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #801 on: July 28, 2019, 06:49:10 AM »
Hospital night shift worker in the help desk.
Basically I take the calls to move patients/beds/bodies/meds around the place.

I love it, 4 nights on (10-6am) and 4 days off. Get paid to watch movies and play PUBG while taking maybe 10 calls a night.
Moneys good too, especially that night shift pay.   

"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #802 on: July 29, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
Hospital night shift worker in the help desk.
Basically I take the calls to move patients/beds/bodies/meds around the place.

I love it, 4 nights on (10-6am) and 4 days off. Get paid to watch movies and play PUBG while taking maybe 10 calls a night.
Moneys good too, especially that night shift pay.

Blackout > PUBG

;)
FUCK YOU

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #803 on: July 29, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
Leaving my job as a therapist for kiddos in foster care and juvenile sex offenders. I will now be a teacher in an alternative school running moral development and life skills group. Hard to leave my current spot but paid summers off, school calendar work days, and a significant pay raise could not be ignored. A bit anxious to leave this Friday but I am hoping this was a solid move.

slippy

« Reply #804 on: July 29, 2019, 01:36:45 PM »
Leaving my job as a therapist for kiddos in foster care and juvenile sex offenders. I will now be a teacher in an alternative school running moral development and life skills group. Hard to leave my current spot but paid summers off, school calendar work days, and a significant pay raise could not be ignored. A bit anxious to leave this Friday but I am hoping this was a solid move.

That sounds rad congrats!  I've always been envious of the summers off and if you can stay in the same sort of positive vein for kids props to you.

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #805 on: July 29, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »
I work in a warehouse and make things with concrete like bar tops, countertops, sinks, planters, etc. etc.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #806 on: July 29, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »

Whenever someone asks "who's gonna think about the kids?!" I'll be able to say: Mr. Kamikazi does. Congrats to you, and thank you.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #807 on: August 12, 2019, 04:27:50 AM »
Applied for a new internal position on Friday. In my current position, the work is interesting, but there is such an insane lack of respect from management about what I and my co-worker do that it makes everything feel terrible. We're on-call without officially being on-call (which means no on-call pay) and since we're salaried, we don't get overtime for those hours spent fixing shit on a Saturday afternoon in a hardware store using my phone, a VPN client, a SSH app to get into an endpoint to fix it while my wife gets paint mixed. Meanwhile, my manager has called out sick I shit you not, 20 times this year. It's unreal.

A position opened up in a different department, and it would be a promotion for me, so...I'm going for it. I know the manager and he is amazing, and the people on the team are super nice, too. I'm bummed to leave my co-worker behind because the best part of the my current job is working with him, but he insists that this is necessary to spur change for both of us.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #808 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »
Applied for a new internal position on Friday. In my current position, the work is interesting, but there is such an insane lack of respect from management about what I and my co-worker do that it makes everything feel terrible. We're on-call without officially being on-call (which means no on-call pay) and since we're salaried, we don't get overtime for those hours spent fixing shit on a Saturday afternoon in a hardware store using my phone, a VPN client, a SSH app to get into an endpoint to fix it while my wife gets paint mixed. Meanwhile, my manager has called out sick I shit you not, 20 times this year. It's unreal.

A position opened up in a different department, and it would be a promotion for me, so...I'm going for it. I know the manager and he is amazing, and the people on the team are super nice, too. I'm bummed to leave my co-worker behind because the best part of the my current job is working with him, but he insists that this is necessary to spur change for both of us.

Sounds x-tremely frustrating. Good luck on the come ups.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #809 on: August 14, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
found out yesterday i didnt get the job as a mail man i applied for a few weeks ago. super bummed.

the hunt continues
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD