Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 745104 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1530 on: September 18, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got a pair of green 44s a few weeks ago for pretty cheap. Haven't set them up yet as my Indys are still in pretty good shape, though they are squeaky as heck. I'm leaning toward swapping them out sooner than later after reading a lot of this thread. Any problems with noise and the Aces?
[close]

Put wax shavings or speed cream in the pivot cups.
[close]
I've tried that, it lasted about a day. I even put new pivot cups in. I had to set up a new deck yesterday so I put the Aces on to give them a try.

Its possible that it isn't the pivot cups, though if it temporarily stopped with wax then it probably is. I've had a few trucks that squeak where the bushings meet the hanger, most noticeably Tensor mags with Bones bushings and anodized  indy FH 144s, also with Bones. Usually just adding a little lube to the bushing seat fixes it. Maybe give it a shot before you buy $16 pivot cups.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1531 on: September 18, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
44s are closer than 55s to 8.5. 44s have 146 hanger. Indy 149s have a 149 hanger. We're talking 1.5mm each side.
[close]

Perfect. Thats extremely helpful. Thanks.
[close]

An extra spacer on the inside of the wheel would make them super close. 

I saw these axle nuts that are thinner than standard which should allow even one more spacer on the inside: 

https://www.acerracing.com/collections/titanium-skate-hardware/products/5-16-24-titanium-skateboard-wheel-nuts-4-pieces

Cool find, been looking around for king and axle nuts like this for a while; looks like they have both. The Kingpin nut will help a ton for those of us who like loose trucks and still want washers but given how those TiHangers grind, these might not be so forgiving on ground down hangers (smiths).

I'd worry about the axle nuts tho, staying on, etc. plus, that's gonna be 2-3 more washers on some trucks!

B0udoir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #1532 on: September 18, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »
I saw these axle nuts that are thinner than standard which should allow even one more spacer on the inside: 
https://www.acerracing.com/collections/titanium-skate-hardware/products/5-16-24-titanium-skateboard-wheel-nuts-4-pieces

A little bit out of topic, but anyone know what is the quality of their bearings? I did a research on slap and there is no discussion at all about this brand.
But 35$ for ceramic bearings, it's too good to be true ....

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1533 on: September 18, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A little bit out of topic, but anyone know what is the quality of their bearings? I did a research on slap and there is no discussion at all about this brand.
But 35$ for ceramic bearings, it's too good to be true ....

Ace has them?
Yo 35$ is great. I’m definitely going to look into that.

Diocletian

« Reply #1534 on: September 18, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
Thats a weird one. I've 200lbs and smash my 44s and 55s into curbs, ledges and coping and never had anything resembling that. How are you doing that repeatedly?

Bad luck? I weigh 210lbs, I’ve warped cast Indy plates in the past from slappies but could never break them. Some sets of Ace’s lasted almost to the axle without ever breaking at the pivot or bending an axle, but quite a few have busted.

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1535 on: September 18, 2019, 09:38:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Thats a weird one. I've 200lbs and smash my 44s and 55s into curbs, ledges and coping and never had anything resembling that. How are you doing that repeatedly?
[close]

Bad luck? I weigh 210lbs, I’ve warped cast Indy plates in the past from slappies but could never break them. Some sets of Ace’s lasted almost to the axle without ever breaking at the pivot or bending an axle, but quite a few have busted.

Impact driver.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1536 on: September 18, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »
Ace warranty dept. revealed to me via email there is ANOTHER revamp coming. Wouldn’t give me any details but like someone else had pasted from their email with Shrewgy, the baseplate will supposedly be stronger, and overall the truck is supposed to have more strength. Said it’s going to happen in the near future.

Ace instagram story show about 20 pallets stacked up with Ace boxes on them. 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1537 on: September 19, 2019, 12:59:46 AM »
The 8.75ish” Ace really needs to happen soon. I’ve been into wider decks lately but the 55s are too wide for most decks I’m feeling.

44s on a 8.5” could be a bit wider but I guess this is mostly just truck madness creeping in.  :-X

8.6” and up though I dunno if I’d be happy with 44s. I think I’d feel more comfortable with a 8.75” truck. 🤔

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1538 on: September 19, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »
The 8.75ish” Ace really needs to happen soon. I’ve been into wider decks lately but the 55s are too wide for most decks I’m feeling.

44s on a 8.5” could be a bit wider but I guess this is mostly just truck madness creeping in.  :-X

8.6” and up though I dunno if I’d be happy with 44s. I think I’d feel more comfortable with a 8.75” truck. 🤔

In total agreement. I've been told an 8.6 / 8.75" truck is coming...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #1539 on: September 19, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In total agreement. I've been told an 8.6 / 8.75" truck is coming...

I’ve probably mumbled it before but I like that ace has kinda dumb sizing. Just ride the closest and be done with it. That being said they have gone with gun themed names before, so a .45 mag, or even a .50 cal kinda makes too much sense.
Side note: any shop guys notice more of the 144/148/5.6 trucks taking over? It was a size that the internet NEEEEEDED, but I’m not sure how much it changed things

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1540 on: September 19, 2019, 10:50:59 PM »
Another ace revamp?

Maybe they’ll secretly release them as just regular stock so there’s no uproar about how everyone got the so called revamp classics months ago and now they have a new version
yes

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
« Reply #1541 on: September 20, 2019, 02:06:19 AM »
I know rah rah shop at your local core skate shop and all, but if you're hard up for cash 33/44's in raw/black/green are on sale for $30 a pair on Zumiez right now. They've had the green ones up for a bit but just put the less garish colors up. Maybe they're trying to dump inventory before the rumored revamp?

Oh and I finally got a pair. I fully expected to hate them as I'm not really a loose trucks kinda guy, and initially I did hate them. Then I put them on a heroin deck with a long wheelbase (online it says 14.5 but it's actually closer to 14.7) and I actually kinda dig them.

Are there any good aftermarket bushings that fit these? The stocks aren't bad but I wouldn't mind something a bit harder and I know the top cone they use is taller than the standard indy/thunder/venture ones.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1542 on: September 20, 2019, 07:01:20 AM »
I know rah rah shop at your local core skate shop and all, but if you're hard up for cash 33/44's in raw/black/green are on sale for $30 a pair on Zumiez right now. They've had the green ones up for a bit but just put the less garish colors up. Maybe they're trying to dump inventory before the rumored revamp?

Oh and I finally got a pair. I fully expected to hate them as I'm not really a loose trucks kinda guy, and initially I did hate them. Then I put them on a heroin deck with a long wheelbase (online it says 14.5 but it's actually closer to 14.7) and I actually kinda dig them.

Are there any good aftermarket bushings that fit these? The stocks aren't bad but I wouldn't mind something a bit harder and I know the top cone they use is taller than the standard indy/thunder/venture ones.

The top is the hard one so just use a harder bottom bushing and keep the top the same.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #1543 on: September 20, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »

A minor quibble:

Frantically buying zumiez closeout trucks and bidding on eBay boxes of random trucks isn’t something that one ‘hard up for cash’ does, re the: ‘rah rah’ support your local shop. And that’s where I get annoyed enough, to point out shit that’s thoroughly not my business, to someone I don’t know at all, on the internet: you are just buying a bunch of shit for the lo. Just do that. Just be the super wack person that buys shit and supports zumiez. You clearly aren’t some struggling skate rat kid with no money. You live in the US. This is just your preferred channel, you’d rather buy mismatched Sonora truck colorways from 2013 than march down to the local shop and buy some shit there. Well within your rights.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1544 on: September 20, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »

They will harden after a couple of sessions, give them a try.

What a find

« Reply #1545 on: September 20, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A minor quibble:

Frantically buying zumiez closeout trucks and bidding on eBay boxes of random trucks isn’t something that one ‘hard up for cash’ does, re the: ‘rah rah’ support your local shop. And that’s where I get annoyed enough, to point out shit that’s thoroughly not my business, to someone I don’t know at all, on the internet: you are just buying a bunch of shit for the lo. Just do that. Just be the super wack person that buys shit and supports zumiez. You clearly aren’t some struggling skate rat kid with no money. You live in the US. This is just your preferred channel, you’d rather buy mismatched Sonora truck colorways from 2013 than march down to the local shop and buy some shit there. Well within your rights.

Daamn gottemm

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1546 on: September 24, 2019, 06:34:57 PM »
Word is November to end of the year for the new Ace remodel. New Factory that has a reputation for good quality. I heard the hanger will look slightly different. As the trucks go up in size so will the curved piece that supports the hanger increase propotionaly. So wider trucks will have more support, I presume? Also heard, they have some bushings similar to Bones but they have found a way to keep them from blowing out as easily. New sizes to be more in line with traditional trucks sizes... No more Diamond on the baseplates... Probably some other changes also...

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1547 on: September 24, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
Word is November to end of the year for the new Ace remodel. New Factory that has a reputation for good quality. I heard the hanger will look slightly different. As the trucks go up in size so will the curved piece that supports the hanger increase propotionaly. So wider trucks will have more support, I presume? Also heard, they have some bushings similar to Bones but they have found a way to keep them from blowing out as easily. New sizes to be more in line with traditional trucks sizes... No more Diamond on the baseplates... Probably some other changes also...

Goddamn it. If half of this is true they ought to offer some truck buy-back program.... Joking of course, but despite my love for Ace, this many revisions in that short a time frame - especially if the bushing thing is true - is borderline untenable. 

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1548 on: September 24, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »

A little bummed to hear about going to conventional sizing or whatever; the eccentric sizing was always kinda part of the fun.  I sort of hoped if anything they'd do an 8.63" hanger and call it the 45 or the 50 or whatever. 

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1549 on: September 24, 2019, 08:06:31 PM »
Just some shit I heard from a  shop guy who has been talking to the Ace guys. I did see a sample of the bushings though and they look great. Apparently team riders are out there testing the trucks now. So if you know anyone sponsored by Ace, they might have them already....

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1550 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:10 PM »
Why fuck with the bushings as they're best in the game right now? Ace, don't fuck this shit up! Change what needs to be changed and leave the rest alone!

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1551 on: September 24, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »
that sounds so bad. just reinforce the baseplate and work on the qc bruh...get your fucking shit together ace.

Diocletian

« Reply #1552 on: September 24, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »
Their V2 bushings were hard as rocks but these new ones just went on the opposite end of the spectrum for me. Way too soft and they’d just flop over the sides of the washers and start peeling. I know others have posted this problem and don’t weigh as much as me. Hopefully their new bushings can be an improvement from that.

As much as I’ll miss their old V1 hangers, they need all the reinforcement they can get under those axles. I’ve bent two sets of the new ones. Quality control on all fronts...you can do this Ace. Bring me back from my current Indy switch.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1553 on: September 25, 2019, 01:13:44 AM »
Their V2 bushings were hard as rocks but these new ones just went on the opposite end of the spectrum for me. Way too soft and they’d just flop over the sides of the washers and start peeling. I know others have posted this problem and don’t weigh as much as me. Hopefully their new bushings can be an improvement from that.

As much as I’ll miss their old V1 hangers, they need all the reinforcement they can get under those axles. I’ve bent two sets of the new ones. Quality control on all fronts...you can do this Ace. Bring me back from my current Indy switch.

Sums up my feelings as well.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1554 on: September 25, 2019, 11:40:00 AM »

Not that it's impossible but with Ace's design it's harder than you might think. Ace's hangers are basically round rods of aluminum over the axle, for something that gets abused constantly it's a weak design. Every other truck worth a damn uses the hollowed out and flared design (where the axle is exposed underneath) basically creating a sort of I-beam, which is considerably stronger in almost every way, while also being lighter.

Ace can keep adding thickness to the hanger, but with their current design it's just going to make it heavier at the sacrifice of not making it much stronger.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1555 on: September 25, 2019, 03:58:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not that it's impossible but with Ace's design it's harder than you might think. Ace's hangers are basically round rods of aluminum over the axle, for something that gets abused constantly it's a weak design. Every other truck worth a damn uses the hollowed out and flared design (where the axle is exposed underneath) basically creating a sort of I-beam, which is considerably stronger in almost every way, while also being lighter.

Ace can keep adding thickness to the hanger, but with their current design it's just going to make it heavier at the sacrifice of not making it much stronger.

Bingo.  They're using an Indy Stage III geometry and Indy Stage III technology

Diocletian

« Reply #1556 on: September 25, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »
I never thought of it that way, but you bring up a good point. I’m very satisfied with my titanium Indy’s and they turn phenomenal with the new stock bushings so if I’m stuck with these it’s not a bad thing. Expensive, but strong and worth every penny.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1557 on: September 25, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
Indeed. Caballero and Mountain knew what was up when they redesigned Indy's for Stage V's, there's almost no real reason beyond aesthetics to go back to what's essentially a Bennet hanger.

That said, the Ace design with a weight relieved/strengthened construction could work. But essentially it would end up looking like the underside of the Theeve TiHanger but with a chromoly axle.   

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1558 on: September 25, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
I never thought of it that way, but you bring up a good point. I’m very satisfied with my titanium Indy’s and they turn phenomenal with the new stock bushings so if I’m stuck with these it’s not a bad thing. Expensive, but strong and worth every penny.

But your mind is not convinced. It is still niggling at you. Because deep down inside you know Ace turn a lot better than any Stage 11. You're truck fucked and you know it.

Diocletian

« Reply #1559 on: September 26, 2019, 01:58:39 AM »
Lol, truck fucked. I don’t know man, if I had a board with 33’s on and my current with the 139 Ti’s, I’d have to say the turning would be hard to differentiate. These puppies really have surprised me.