Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738908 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1560 on: September 26, 2019, 02:28:12 AM »
Lol, truck fucked. I don’t know man, if I had a board with 33’s on and my current with the 139 Ti’s, I’d have to say the turning would be hard to differentiate. These puppies really have surprised me.

Indy wheelbite will let you know what’s up and make you question your life choices when you least expect it.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1561 on: September 26, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1562 on: September 26, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Lol, truck fucked. I don’t know man, if I had a board with 33’s on and my current with the 139 Ti’s, I’d have to say the turning would be hard to differentiate. These puppies really have surprised me.

139s do turn a lot quicker than 149s imo. That being said, if it’s all about the turn, and only that, I mean....ace is kinda hard to beat in that regard. As Has been pointed out, there are many, many other factors as to why a truck works for someone or not.

Diocletian

« Reply #1563 on: September 26, 2019, 08:09:49 PM »
Yeah I’m sure if I had some 149’s it would be a different story. These are a lot more twitchy and feel like I have Ace’s under my feet.

Kinda stinks Ace is releasing their new truck during snow. Breaking in new trucks at an indoor park is something I cannot do. I need outdoor abuse and plenty of slappies to wear them down and build grooves before I feel they’re ready.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1564 on: September 27, 2019, 03:06:01 AM »
I finally resolved my ace bushing madness, I know I'm a monster, I switched the stock bushings. I bought some 94a bottoms from skatedeluxe, since the bottom bushings from ace is really tall I did this.
I put bones flat washer, indy washer, this bushing, ace top bushing, ace top washer...now I feel them stable. I you want the right height and you want a tighter ace this is a good trick I think.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1565 on: October 01, 2019, 06:08:13 PM »
Does anyone run 55’s on 8.5’s? Been skating 44s recently, and want a slightly wider axle because I like to see my wheels. Been running smaller Spitfire classics to get more room out of my axle but wanting to go back to a bigger conical full wheel but want more axle if I do so.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1566 on: October 01, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »
Does anyone run 55’s on 8.5’s? Been skating 44s recently, and want a slightly wider axle because I like to see my wheels. Been running smaller Spitfire classics to get more room out of my axle but wanting to go back to a bigger conical full wheel but want more axle if I do so.

some of my friends do. They also run 159s with 8.5s. I get on fine on 44s with 54 or 56MM conicals. I ride loose too.

If you're running aces wide open there's going to be no real change unless you get a riser

You might catch your heel when pushing and eat crazier shit than a wheel bite.  :)

I find added metal is pointless for me. My 8.5 is really only as wide as the bolt pattern. The reason is move up is if I wasn't getting the proper grind for joy
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

AssFlea

« Reply #1567 on: October 01, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
Indeed. Caballero and Mountain knew what was up when they redesigned Indy's for Stage V's, there's almost no real reason beyond aesthetics to go back to what's essentially a Bennet hanger.

That said, the Ace design with a weight relieved/strengthened construction could work. But essentially it would end up looking like the underside of the Theeve TiHanger but with a chromoly axle.

Nah X wing is not necessary with this truck. I'm really rough on trucks I haven't had an issue. I think you all are tripping unlucky or work for nhs

_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1568 on: October 01, 2019, 08:46:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Their V2 bushings were hard as rocks but these new ones just went on the opposite end of the spectrum for me. Way too soft and they’d just flop over the sides of the washers and start peeling. I know others have posted this problem and don’t weigh as much as me. Hopefully their new bushings can be an improvement from that.

As much as I’ll miss their old V1 hangers, they need all the reinforcement they can get under those axles. I’ve bent two sets of the new ones. Quality control on all fronts...you can do this Ace. Bring me back from my current Indy switch.
[close]

Not that it's impossible but with Ace's design it's harder than you might think. Ace's hangers are basically round rods of aluminum over the axle, for something that gets abused constantly it's a weak design. Every other truck worth a damn uses the hollowed out and flared design (where the axle is exposed underneath) basically creating a sort of I-beam, which is considerably stronger in almost every way, while also being lighter.

Ace can keep adding thickness to the hanger, but with their current design it's just going to make it heavier at the sacrifice of not making it much stronger.
[close]

Bingo.  They're using an Indy Stage III geometry and Indy Stage III technology

Exactly why Theeve switched to flared hangers (given how similar the geometry is) except for the TIh

Old Theeves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1UR2liXgFw

AssFlea

« Reply #1569 on: October 01, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »
I think theeve is more similar to a tracker truck though
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1570 on: October 02, 2019, 02:47:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Indeed. Caballero and Mountain knew what was up when they redesigned Indy's for Stage V's, there's almost no real reason beyond aesthetics to go back to what's essentially a Bennet hanger.

That said, the Ace design with a weight relieved/strengthened construction could work. But essentially it would end up looking like the underside of the Theeve TiHanger but with a chromoly axle.
[close]

Nah X wing is not necessary with this truck. I'm really rough on trucks I haven't had an issue. I think you all are tripping unlucky or work for nhs

I switch back and forth between Indy's and Aces, so no blind loyalty here my guy. But you know, there's tons of posts from members here (and if you want, someone like Jordan Trahan's insta) who've more or less exploded Ace hangers or baseplates. A couple people might be coincidental but it's been years and years of defects. Cool that you've never had a problem (I've never had a problem with mine either), but there's pretty good data to the contrary. Theeve's solution is a good one, it's not particularly pleasant to look at, but it could be done better.

Also,

... what? Theeve's were designed on Ace baseplates (theeve.... thief....). At the end of the day they're uncool Aces. At least the full Titanium ones anyway.

AssFlea

« Reply #1571 on: October 02, 2019, 06:13:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I switch back and forth between Indy's and Aces, so no blind loyalty here my guy. But you know, there's tons of posts from members here (and if you want, someone like Jordan Trahan's insta) who've more or less exploded Ace hangers or baseplates. A couple people might be coincidental but it's been years and years of defects. Cool that you've never had a problem (I've never had a problem with mine either), but there's pretty good data to the contrary. Theeve's solution is a good one, it's not particularly pleasant to look at, but it could be done better.

Also,
Expand Quote
[close]

... what? Theeve's were designed on Ace baseplates (theeve.... thief....). At the end of the day they're uncool Aces. At least the full Titanium ones anyway.

idk they don't turn the same
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1572 on: October 09, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
What risers sit flush with Ace baseplates? Running Indy risers on my 44s but they stick out a bit, anybody tried Thunder risers? If it comes down to it I can just cut them down to size but I was curious to see what you guys use, thanks.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1573 on: October 09, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »
What risers sit flush with Ace baseplates? Running Indy risers on my 44s but they stick out a bit, anybody tried Thunder risers? If it comes down to it I can just cut them down to size but I was curious to see what you guys use, thanks.

I use Diamond risers. Not 100% flush but it’s manageable IMO. I can take a picture when I’m home if you want. I never understood why risers don’t fit properly on baseplates. Even Indy risers on Indy baseplates are off.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1574 on: October 10, 2019, 04:03:40 AM »
I use diamond and then razor-bladed them flush

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1575 on: October 10, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
Anyone in here jumping down shit with these trucks.

I have skated 2 sets, first set when they first came out and a second set a few years later. Bent axles on both sets. I've seen people mention the bending axle thing has been fixed, but unsure if those people just aren't taking impact
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1576 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
Here's the Ace baseplate with a Diamond 1/8" riser:

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1577 on: October 10, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »

I have skated 2 sets, first set when they first came out and a second set a few years later. Bent axles on both sets. I've seen people mention the bending axle thing has been fixed, but unsure if those people just aren't taking impact

Whoa whoa whoa. Never down, maybe up.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1578 on: October 10, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »

Funny you should ask I just got done with a heavy ride and did at least my go to tricks down a hefty loading dock into a bank, kf fs 180 bs 180 shuv both ways and I was taking heavy tolls on Ace's. They seem to not have bent on me they're the 44's green ones.
Dueces Bitch's

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1579 on: October 10, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Funny you should ask I just got done with a heavy ride and did at least my go to tricks down a hefty loading dock into a bank, kf fs 180 bs 180 shuv both ways and I was taking heavy tolls on Ace's. They seem to not have bent on me they're the 44's green ones.

Thanks, I really like the look of ACE, and liked them while I was riding them. I just can't justify going back for a third time only to have bent axles again. I will not be made a mockery of
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1580 on: October 10, 2019, 02:04:41 PM »
Here's the Ace baseplate with a Diamond 1/8" riser:

Good looking out, thank you.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1581 on: October 10, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »
If you want your risers flush you can get risers with oval shape holes so you can position them however you like... Pretty handy.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1582 on: October 10, 2019, 05:02:24 PM »
If you want your risers flush you can get risers with oval shape holes so you can position them however you like... Pretty handy.

They're also just plastic a razor blade or even a drill would make quick work of it

Diocletian

« Reply #1583 on: October 10, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
Best risers for Ace’s are Modus. Fixed holes and a middle ground between plastic/rubbery. Like a flexible plastic that won’t make the board sound dead. They stick out a tiny bit on all four sides beneath the baseplate but it’s like 98.83694% even and looks as proper as it’s going to get until Ace makes their own risers that are cut perfectly to not stick out.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1584 on: October 11, 2019, 12:24:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Thanks, I really like the look of ACE, and liked them while I was riding them. I just can't justify going back for a third time only to have bent axles again. I will not be made a mockery of

I like the look of the 33s the best.
The newer stuff doesn’t bend for me, maybe others. I mean for sure others people have totally mentioned it on here. The turn is sick, very difficult to wheelbite, grind easy etc. kinda heavy.....they are perfectly fine quality wise for me, and I like the product, but they don’t seem to be quite on the level of the big three. Like I can do dumb things with Indy’s/ventures/I’m assuming thunders. And by dumb things I mean run way to many washers on the inside of the wheel, try to learn frontside slappys, half heartedly, on unwaxed curbs etc, with no problems. That being said, I mean....trucks are like what $40-50 dollars? If I break a board that just makes me feel awesome. If I ruin trucks via the act of skating, ditto. Per usual I’ve typed a lot without saying much

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1585 on: October 11, 2019, 02:10:47 AM »

The new distro Ace 44’s. Looks much thicker on the Hanger. Joey Tershay was at my local park and had to scope out his set up. He mentioned that the truck will be full forged. Rode it out too and it still turns the same way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:54:25 AM by ferraveemo »

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1586 on: October 11, 2019, 04:32:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

The newer stuff doesn’t bend for me, maybe others. I mean for sure others people have totally mentioned it on here. The turn is sick, very difficult to wheelbite, grind easy etc. kinda heavy.....they are perfectly fine quality wise for me, and I like the product, but they don’t seem to be quite on the level of the big three. Like I can do dumb things with Indy’s/ventures/I’m assuming thunders. And by dumb things I mean run way to many washers on the inside of the wheel, try to learn frontside slappys, half heartedly, on unwaxed curbs etc, with no problems. That being said, I mean....trucks are like what $40-50 dollars? If I break a board that just makes me feel awesome. If I ruin trucks via the act of skating, ditto. Per usual I’ve typed a lot without saying much

I have never been a board breaker, I was more of the kick away 300 times and then put one down bolts. So I chipped a ton of boards. As far as trucks cost, I get its roughly the same as a deck expenditure wise. But getting a new set of trucks tweaking them to your liking and having them last like 6 months to a year is better than putting them on riding them for the length of one deck and them also failing. Or the axle bending and causing uneven wear on wheels and the next thing you know after a month you need damn near a whole new complete.

Diocletian

« Reply #1587 on: October 11, 2019, 07:17:16 AM »

The new distro Ace 44’s. Looks much thicker on the Hanger. Joey Tershay was at my local park and had to scope out his set up. He mentioned that the truck will be full forged. Rode it out too and it still turns the same way.

I really wish this image would appear.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1588 on: October 11, 2019, 07:38:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really wish this image would appear.
yes, pics or it didn't happen.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1589 on: October 11, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have never been a board breaker, I was more of the kick away 300 times and then put one down bolts. So I chipped a ton of boards. As far as trucks cost, I get its roughly the same as a deck expenditure wise. But getting a new set of trucks tweaking them to your liking and having them last like 6 months to a year is better than putting them on riding them for the length of one deck and them also failing. Or the axle bending and causing uneven wear on wheels and the next thing you know after a month you need damn near a whole new complete.

You make a really good point, it does suck to get all new stuff often, and it’s just wasteful.