Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739130 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1620 on: October 13, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
Aren't Krux based off Stage IIs (ACE being Stage III?); that would explain the deeper pivot cups?

Sounds like we're going to lose the 44 @ 8.375" axle and end up with an 8.25" and 8.5". Better stock up (and nab some more of the new, soon to be old, bushings).

I'm still hoping for a hollow'd version...with that forged plate...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:41:39 PM by Xen »

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1621 on: October 13, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »
Aren't Krux based off Stage IIs (ACE being Stage III?); that would explain the deeper pivot cups?

Sounds like we're going to lose the 44 @ 8.375" axle and end up with an 8.25" and 8.5". Better stock up (and nab some more of the new, soon to be old, bushings).

I'm still hoping for a hollow'd version...with that forged plate...

Stage III yeah (although sometimes people say Stage IV for the Ace inspiration, but Stage IV's had hollowed out area under the hanger... which Ace oughta be doing anyway).

As for Krux? Never heard that. Stage II's look like modern 109's. I think the whole thrust of Krux, at the time, was to make a cheaper modern Indy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:24:08 PM by palelight »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1622 on: October 13, 2019, 05:27:20 PM »
Indy Stage 5s were hollowed out. Ace are inspired by stage 2 or 3 geometry.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1623 on: October 13, 2019, 07:12:40 PM »
Indy Stage 5s were hollowed out. Ace are inspired by stage 2 or 3 geometry.

My bad, long day. You're right about V's having the hollowed underside. But Tershay and Grosso talk about Aces being based on Stage III's on the truck episode of Love Letters. Although there's hints of II with the hanger being round and proud of the pivot wing, and stage IV's with the smoothed out pivot area. Very much a distillation of all the good things from early Indy's.   

potpie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1624 on: October 13, 2019, 08:09:28 PM »
15 posts in a day about trucks 16 including mine indirectly about trucks, nice

commitment

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #1625 on: October 13, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
I don't know why they would change the bushings, they're perfect the way they are.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1626 on: October 13, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
Expand Quote
If you want your risers flush you can get risers with oval shape holes so you can position them however you like... Pretty handy.

[close]

They're also just plastic a razor blade or even a drill would make quick work of it

my Base plate holes look like this. Rattled out
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1627 on: October 14, 2019, 12:48:08 AM »
I don't know why they would change the bushings, they're perfect the way they are.
This. I have one spare set, looks like I need to cop few more...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1628 on: October 14, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
I’ll try whatever they put out but it looks like I’m going to be scooping some current 44s and 55s for sure

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1629 on: October 14, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
Time to hoard bushings

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:46:57 AM by Cthulhu! »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1630 on: October 14, 2019, 11:03:20 AM »
Don't bushing panic. I bet they are going to offer more bushing options not less.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1631 on: October 14, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »
Don't bushing panic. I bet they are going to offer more bushing options not less.

But will they be the same?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1632 on: October 17, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »
So I have 44s and 55s and am contemplating setting up an 8.75 deck. Which truck would you guys recommend for the board? It’s a Quasi pop I’ve had hanging on my wall for a while.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1633 on: October 17, 2019, 11:56:39 AM »
If it's a full shape go for the 55s. If the shape tapers, go for the 44s.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1634 on: October 17, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
If it's a full shape go for the 55s. If the shape tapers, go for the 44s.
Thanks for the help!!!

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1635 on: October 17, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »

Here are some prototypes of the new Aces that were sent to some local riders. Don't get too excited, they aren't the final design, which, I'm told will likely not be out until Spring 2020.

They were pretty heavy with way thicker hangers and baseplate height. I heard the base plates are going to be thinned out (to keep current height) and come with hollow kingpins stock.

The metal is supposedly way harder. Not 'entirely forged' as people mentioned but apparently manufactured with some process that no other truck manus are currently using. So the grind will feel harder.

These were 44s and they were 8.25".  55s will be 8.5", 66s will be 8.75" and 77s will be 9.125".

I don't know how accurate all this info is but these trucks looked pretty damn sick in person.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1636 on: October 17, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »

Here are some prototypes of the new Aces that were sent to some local riders. Don't get too excited, they aren't the final design, which, I'm told will likely not be out until Spring 2020.

They were pretty heavy with way thicker hangers and baseplate height. I heard the base plates are going to be thinned out (to keep current height) and come with hollow kingpins stock.

The metal is supposedly way harder. Not 'entirely forged' as people mentioned but apparently manufactured with some process that no other truck manus are currently using. So the grind will feel harder.

These were 44s and they were 8.25".  55s will be 8.5", 66s will be 8.75" and 77s will be 9.125".

I don't know how accurate all this info is but these trucks looked pretty damn sick in person.

C'est la vie 8.38's... Bummer. And Ace 44's were already damn near 400g per truck. With a true 8.5 amount of hanger and thicker overall design you'd be looking at Indy Stage VII weight.  I am interested to hear about the tech behind the new process if they ever elaborate on it though. 

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1637 on: October 17, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
The thinner baseplates and hollow KP may keep the weight closer to what it is now but these trucks could be way more durable and sturdy.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1638 on: October 17, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
The thinner baseplates and hollow KP may keep the weight closer to what it is now but these trucks could be way more durable and sturdy.

For sure. And a different metal and casting process would definitely help. There's just a part of my brain that wishes, with all the redesign, rather than just beefing up what's there (which would necessitate new molds anyway) that they go the whole hog and implement actual design changes. Like the Indy 215 is about 95% similar design wise to an Ace hanger and they have the hollowed out underside = more strength, less weight.

After a while, adding more material to the original design is a wash, more material = more weight, and diminishing returns for overall strength. I just hope they don't get heavy to the point of feeling sluggish and effing with that perfect turn. But, I'll give them a chance, fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:33:52 PM by palelight »

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1639 on: October 17, 2019, 06:35:15 PM »
This update seems like the best of both worlds for me, I love the heft, height, and size range of Indys. Thanks for posting they look sick!

Diocletian

« Reply #1640 on: October 17, 2019, 06:54:43 PM »
Doesn’t really look much different. New “ACE” logo on the baseplate, “44” on the opposite side. Trivial amount of thickness added to hanger. Baseplate doesn’t look taller to the naked eye. Heavier truck that will still bend no matter how much “stronger” the hanger alloy is. It needs to be reinforced like others have said, and the baseplate forged.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1641 on: October 17, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
They are pretty dam different in person. The baseplate was a 1/8" thicker but apparently this is going back to the standard height.  Heavy claims that these things are pretty indestructible, forged or not the metal is different. Going to have to wait a good few months to find out unless you know an Ace rider.

I for one am frothing to try them. Especially an 8.75"er.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:09:34 PM by Fred Gerwer Frank Gall »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1642 on: October 17, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »
This update seems like the best of both worlds for me, I love the heft, height, and size range of Indys. Thanks for posting they look sick!

No worries. I snuck a few photos when the shop owner was helping a customer. Hope I'm not blowing it for anyone...  ;D But he did bring them out of hiding  to show me...

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #1643 on: October 17, 2019, 07:27:03 PM »

Hopefully QC and the new manufacturing process are legit, they look good. The extra heft on the hanger looks nice for kingpin clearance

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1644 on: October 17, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure. And a different metal and casting process would definitely help. There's just a part of my brain that wishes, with all the redesign, rather than just beefing up what's there (which would necessitate new molds anyway) that they go the whole hog and implement actual design changes. Like the Indy 215 is about 95% similar design wise to an Ace hanger and they have the hollowed out underside = more strength, less weight.

After a while, adding more material to the original design is a wash, more material = more weight, and diminishing returns for overall strength. I just hope they don't get heavy to the point of feeling sluggish and effing with that perfect turn. But, I'll give them a chance, fingers crossed.

I agree with this. Remove the unnecessary heft. Fuck, ask some company that does stress calculation analyses to come up with a plan on what to remove underside so that it doesn't affect the strength too much. Also the sizes sound wild. 66s at 8.75" while they're 9.35" now.  :o That's sure to cause a lot of confusion for a good while especially if they just sell them as Ace 66s like before instead of specifying that this is the new version. Also I think they should also make 88s at 9.5" or something for the real big bois. Would go well with Joey T's support of Jason Jessee also…  :-X

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1645 on: October 18, 2019, 01:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree with this. Remove the unnecessary heft. Fuck, ask some company that does stress calculation analyses to come up with a plan on what to remove underside so that it doesn't affect the strength too much. Also the sizes sound wild. 66s at 8.75" while they're 9.35" now.  :o That's sure to cause a lot of confusion for a good while especially if they just sell them as Ace 66s like before instead of specifying that this is the new version. Also I think they should also make 88s at 9.5" or something for the real big bois. Would go well with Joey T's support of Jason Jessee also…  :-X

Narrower sizing for a 215 style truck would be soooo sick. And yes I saw Danny Dicola do it, and no I’m not gonna try it. 8.5 215!??! Whew would be stoked.

The new aces look decent. I’ve always liked there weird sizes, and I think it helps a bit: it was very common for people to do the 7.75 on 129s, same ratio as the 8.125 on 139s....you get a little more leverage, and less wheelbite. Whatever. I’m running the more on trend 149s with 8.38, and it’s workjng great. Really rambling

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1646 on: October 18, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

215s are not hollowed out, only 129~169s are.

and i agree, what ace should do is this :

if they're gonna copy the old indy design, they might as well do it right. notice how the front of the truck is still very slim and beautiful while the back is thicker and has a reverse triangle shape spanning the full length of the hanger. this provides strength while not sacrificing the sleak design too much. what ace have done here is just making the trucks heavier, they haven't actually reinforced anything. the hangers are still “straight” in a mediocre way and its really fucking ugly too. i suggest they go back to v2/v3 design while reinforcing the back end...forged plates sound dope and hollow king pins are surely a step in the right direction....yea and the sizing already sounds like a disaster. not keeping the old sizes is really dumb. just add an 8.5 size and get on with it JEEZ

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1647 on: October 18, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »
I wonder if the metal process is some sort of heat treat to make it harder. But I’m not sure if you can heat treat aluminum.

Edit/ aluminum can be heat treated.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:09:17 AM by Murge »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1648 on: October 18, 2019, 02:35:03 PM »
I wonder if the metal process is some sort of heat treat to make it harder. But I’m not sure if you can heat treat aluminum.

Edit/ aluminum can be heat treated.

It's not without risks when applied to something like a skate truck which takes constant blunt impact. Plus, hardening is usually reserved for aluminum milled/machined from a solid billet. I'm totally ignorant of whether or not you can even harden cast aluminum, but I'd be inclined to think the amount of voids/micro bubbles that happen when casting could lead to some trouble if you hardened it.

And I AM is right, the 215's aren't hollowed out on the underside. The pic I posted, someone stitched pics of a normal Stage XI and 215 together, my bad.  That said, older Theeve hangers which were built around Ace baseplates did have a skinny weight relieved hanger (and the all Ti truck still uses that design), so it is doable. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1649 on: October 18, 2019, 06:45:42 PM »
44s are going to be 8.25? Guess it’s time to try Film trucks...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year