Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743983 times)

Seventyfrigginseven

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2580 on: October 24, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Indy to venture back to Indy ( to hard to find short wb decks for venture) I want to try out some 44s. Am I just wasting money or is there a noticeable difference between Indy and ace
[close]
had a similar thought recently related to thunders. deck width doesn't matter to me as much but realized i've really limited myself to trying to find short decks with 14" wheelbase or just a hair over, which have been hard to find. would ace or indy open up the field a bit? seems like 14.25 is sort of the norm right now
I had only skated Ventures for decades, then last year I tried Indy hollows and really liked them. As of yesterday I am 2 flatground sessions and a little bit of cruising on my Ace 33s, and I absolutely love them. I dont know if its the trucks, or my deck/truck combination but the manual point is incredible. I'm not sure if any of that helps you guys, but I am definitely a big fan of Ace now.
 *(Once the bushings break in)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2581 on: October 24, 2020, 03:30:43 PM »
How does running (top/bottom) flat washers on stock bushings instead of the cups affect Ace trucks?
Anybody tried & got feedback?
Just curious how this minor diff would change the ride, if at all.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

IpathCats

« Reply #2582 on: October 24, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
How does running (top/bottom) flat washers on stock bushings instead of the cups affect Ace trucks?

I've wondered this too. I can't imagine it would change much, maybe make things feel a bit softer with nothing holding the edges of the bushings in, probably not a huge difference though. It would however, definitely solve the issue mentioned above, with the bottom bushing popping over the washer and getting stuck/clicking.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2583 on: October 24, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've wondered this too. I can't imagine it would change much, maybe make things feel a bit softer with nothing holding the edges of the bushings in, probably not a huge difference though. It would however, definitely solve the issue mentioned above, with the bottom bushing popping over the washer and getting stuck/clicking.
Tha’s exactly what got me to thinking on it.
If the only penalty was a bit of slop, I might be down, as I tend to run on the looser side anyway.
I also understand that a cup config was likely a deliberate decide on their part.
Just throwing shit at the walls, so to speak.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

hillbilly shifty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #2584 on: October 24, 2020, 07:11:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If the only penalty was a bit of slop, I might be down, as I tend to run on the looser side anyway.
I also understand that a cup config was likely a deliberate decide on their part.

all else being equal, swapping to flat washers will give less resistance and a deeper surfy turn.
had a pair of thunders w/ stock bushings, nuts flush. felt too stiff.
swapped cup for flat washers top + bottom, nuts flush. much better.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2585 on: October 24, 2020, 11:52:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Indy to venture back to Indy ( to hard to find short wb decks for venture) I want to try out some 44s. Am I just wasting money or is there a noticeable difference between Indy and ace
[close]
had a similar thought recently related to thunders. deck width doesn't matter to me as much but realized i've really limited myself to trying to find short decks with 14" wheelbase or just a hair over, which have been hard to find. would ace or indy open up the field a bit? seems like 14.25 is sort of the norm right now
[close]
I had only skated Ventures for decades, then last year I tried Indy hollows and really liked them. As of yesterday I am 2 flatground sessions and a little bit of cruising on my Ace 33s, and I absolutely love them. I dont know if its the trucks, or my deck/truck combination but the manual point is incredible. I'm not sure if any of that helps you guys, but I am definitely a big fan of Ace now.
manual point on aces is god tier!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2586 on: October 25, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »

I skated the lows for about 5 months before switching to these yesterday. I wish I would’ve skipped over the 03’s and went straight for the 33’s. The added height makes flip tricks that much easier and the way they pinch makes feeble/smiths and crooked grinds feel that much better. Maybe what I’m trying to say is that they’re more “responsive”? I wish I would’ve given them a try years ago

The only thing that irks me is that I already managed to crack both pivot cups after just two days of skating. I even swapped them out for the Riptide cups everyone seems to love. Maybe it’s just a side effect of the way the trucks turn mixed with my technique
fuck you bama

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2587 on: October 25, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »

I skated the lows for about 5 months before switching to these yesterday. I wish I would’ve skipped over the 03’s and went straight for the 33’s. The added height makes flip tricks that much easier and the way they pinch makes feeble/smiths and crooked grinds feel that much better. Maybe what I’m trying to say is that they’re more “responsive”? I wish I would’ve given them a try years ago

The only thing that irks me is that I already managed to crack both pivot cups after just two days of skating. I even swapped them out for the Riptide cups everyone seems to love. Maybe it’s just a side effect of the way the trucks turn mixed with my technique

dude lol ace pivot cups are dogshit at this point I dont even have pivot cups anymore but I still skate them as is

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2588 on: October 25, 2020, 10:22:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
dope but is 14wb on thunder equivalent to 14.25 on ace or thereabouts? that's the main concern

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2589 on: October 25, 2020, 11:35:30 PM »
Thunders open up your wheelbase, aces shorten it!

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2590 on: October 26, 2020, 12:06:16 AM »
i know that!! are aces pretty much true to the measured wheel base on a deck though? i don't even know how far thunders extend the base tbh

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2591 on: October 26, 2020, 01:20:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i know that!! are aces pretty much true to the measured wheel base on a deck though? i don't even know how far thunders extend the base tbh
I/ we got you fam!
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2592 on: October 26, 2020, 04:28:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Definitely one of my favorite traits on ace. It feels harder to miss a manual than make one on them. They feel so good.

IpathCats

« Reply #2593 on: October 26, 2020, 05:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Now that you say that, "deliberate decide". Having flat washers may cause your bushings to drag on smiths? Depending on how you do them. Just a thought, but things are designed certain ways for certain reasons.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2594 on: October 26, 2020, 04:01:46 PM »
I'm the opposite- manual point on Ace and Generator decks feels wack to me. Very front heavy/hard to tip. Venture cast/Thunder cast is way better. Indy in the middle depending on the deck.

TumKayo

« Reply #2595 on: October 27, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »
I just got my first pair of Ace trucks, 66s. Woah, these things are floaty and carvey. They immediately feel different from stage 11 Indys, and especially Thunders and Ventures.

I love how they feel initially, but I keep getting crazy wheelbite. I tried tightening them down a boatload, still had wheelbite and the bushings were folding over a bit like in the posts on the last page. I have 55mm OJ mini super juice, and .1” risers. I’m 225lbs, if that makes a difference.

How do I get these things to not get wheelbite? Is it as simple as changing to 1/4” risers? I’m just trying to make one order tonight and have everything I need to get these trucks to feel right. Do I need harder bushings?

Thanks

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2596 on: October 27, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »
I just got my first pair of Ace trucks, 66s. Woah, these things are floaty and carvey. They immediately feel different from stage 11 Indys, and especially Thunders and Ventures.

I love how they feel initially, but I keep getting crazy wheelbite. I tried tightening them down a boatload, still had wheelbite and the bushings were folding over a bit like in the posts on the last page. I have 55mm OJ mini super juice, and .1” risers. I’m 225lbs, if that makes a difference.

How do I get these things to not get wheelbite? Is it as simple as changing to 1/4” risers? I’m just trying to make one order tonight and have everything I need to get these trucks to feel right. Do I need harder bushings?

Thanks

In my experience with Aces and cruiser wheels, you're going to need  1/4" risers to get rid of wheelbite. I always bit on 1/8" risers and 56mm g-slides, but when I moved up to 1/4" risers it fixed the wheelbite problem. In comparison, 56mm F4s barely gave me wheelbite without risers.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2597 on: October 27, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »

Thanks

Wheel wells, narrower board, bigger risers. Wide trucks + wide board =  more prone to wheelbite.

TumKayo

« Reply #2598 on: October 27, 2020, 06:39:36 PM »
Thanks. I'm going to grab some 1/4" risers, see how that works.

I had the same board and same wheels on loose indy 169s with the .1" risers, and no wheelbite. The 169 standards are 2mm taller, but I tightened the crap out of the Ace. I guess a couple mm makes a larger impact.

TumKayo

« Reply #2599 on: October 28, 2020, 05:10:05 PM »
Got some hard plastic 1/4" risers today. Still had wheelbite with the 66s. Added my .1" shock pads with the 1/4" risers, and no wheelbite, but felt too high off the ground at that point.

I love how different these feel. Turn so well, maybe a bit twitchy feeling, but not something I couldn't get used to in a day or two. The wheelbite, as well bushings folding over if tightened, are deal breakers for me though.

If I got harder bushings, would it fix this issue? I'm starting to think about selling them as I feel like I can't ride them. They haven't even gone for a real skate yet, just been carving around in my garage.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2600 on: October 28, 2020, 05:34:15 PM »
^ I’ve been riding a set of Aces that I got from a friend. I like them fine. The only negative aspect is that the stock bushings, I bought a new set because I wanted to experience them as close to their intended feel, had no rebound out of a turn. It’s like they just flop over and there you are waiting for the wheelbite. I put in the medium bones from my other trucks and they don’t feel that different from the Indys I was riding forever.

tl;dr change the stock bushings.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2601 on: October 28, 2020, 06:34:30 PM »
Tl;dr break in the stock bushings!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2602 on: October 28, 2020, 06:46:31 PM »

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2603 on: October 28, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »

TumKayo

« Reply #2604 on: October 28, 2020, 06:53:26 PM »
Thanks. Took some time to read a few pages back about all this too and found what I needed. I don't want to sell them, I like how they turn. Gonna break them in more and see, as well as try my indy bushings in them.

Can I ride them with the bushings folding over the washers, or should I stop every time and put that back to normal?

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2605 on: October 28, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »
Q:
Can I ride them with the bushings folding over the washers, or should I stop every time and put that back to normal?

A:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

jusridem
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2606 on: October 28, 2020, 07:47:33 PM »

Most bushings stiffen up a bit after a few sessions, these are no different; I have found nothing better than ACE stocks.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2607 on: October 28, 2020, 08:07:42 PM »
That’s interesting. Bushings stiffening up has never been my experience. Rad that it works for you. Every time I buy an aftermarket thing like bushings I feel like a rube.

silpulsar

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2608 on: October 29, 2020, 11:02:13 AM »
Thanks. Took some time to read a few pages back about all this too and found what I needed. I don't want to sell them, I like how they turn. Gonna break them in more and see, as well as try my indy bushings in them.

The issue is the top washers that come stock with Aces have a thicker edge than, say, Indys. It digs into the bushing when you tighten them down and squeezes them out the side.

Find some Indy top washers and put them on your Aces. Problem solved.

TumKayo

« Reply #2609 on: October 29, 2020, 02:12:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The issue is the top washers that come stock with Aces have a thicker edge than, say, Indys. It digs into the bushing when you tighten them down and squeezes them out the side.

Find some Indy top washers and put them on your Aces. Problem solved.

Thanks, will try tonight. It’s ok to ride them with bushings squeezed, it just looks odd?