Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 352225 times)

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 1
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2850 on: January 21, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
I love my ace 55. I recently sold my indy 169 ti because they just didn't click with me. I was thinking of getting some thunder 161s but couldn't find any in stock around me. I turned to the ace 55 because my local had some. Initial thoughts were holy shit these are surfy and fun but bushings were way to soft and I was suffering from had wheelbite. Im 220lb and have always had trouble with getting trucks loose enough to turn without getting bad wheelbite. I experiment with bushings alot and either end up with something firm and stable enough but can't get quick deep turns or soft enough to turn like i want but suffer from the wheelbite again. These ace trucks are the answer for me. I'm running mini logo 100a barrels board side and bones hard road side with the washer they come with. This feels perfect. Plenty firm and stable enough but these trucks just turn when I want them to and they turn deep. I can hardly get the wheels to touch the board. I am stoked!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2851 on: January 22, 2021, 04:21:31 PM »
Also posted in Trucks thread, but thought some people might like it in the Ace thread too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.9750

I just came across this post from a while back from the guy who does his own board shapes, customised Ace inverted kingpin.

Looks like he did it right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B__TYkzFm38/

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:04:11 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2852 on: January 22, 2021, 06:01:44 PM »
I just came across this post from a while back from the guy who does his own board shapes, customised Ace inverted kingpin.

I remember seeing that Grosso (RIP) had his Aces set up this way, too. I assume it's a Krux downlow kingpin with an epoxied nut at the bottom?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2853 on: January 22, 2021, 07:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember seeing that Grosso (RIP) had his Aces set up this way, too. I assume it's a Krux downlow kingpin with an epoxied nut at the bottom?

Looks like it, from the third pic on that instagram post.

That guy has some amazing modifications and well worth looking through his previous posts on instagram.

I wanted to put up a few more, but thought I might be posting too much.

Things like cutting down 55s to make them spot on 8.5 wide trucks, changing out kingpins for those inverted ones, making his own boards, changing and cutting down Vans Sk8 hi to mid...  the list goes on.

manysnakes

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2854 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Looks like it, from the third pic on that instagram post.

That guy has some amazing modifications and well worth looking through his previous posts on instagram.

I wanted to put up a few more, but thought I might be posting too much.

Things like cutting down 55s to make them spot on 8.5 wide trucks, changing out kingpins for those inverted ones, making his own boards, changing and cutting down Vans Sk8 hi to mid...  the list goes on.

My kinda skate dork

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2855 on: January 24, 2021, 11:20:55 AM »
Also posted in Trucks thread, but thought some people might like it in the Ace thread too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.9750

Looks like he did it right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B__TYkzFm38/
This post of his is an even better step-by-step tutorial on how to do this
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDj8qxXFGqK/

Jory4

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2856 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
Anyone tried an 8.5 with 55ís?
Super hot rod?
Iíve got conical wheels ( speed lab slappy hours)
Seem to recall something in the set up thread with 55 on an 8.6 ages ago.

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2857 on: January 28, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »
I've done 55s on an 8.5". Its doable but not ideal if you like to flip the board. If you're skating transition and not getting too tech its pretty fun. You can always use skinnier wheels and no inside washers to keep it tighter.

KillDayoy

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2858 on: January 28, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
Super hot rod?

I'm running this setup right now and have off and on over the last few years. You get a little bit of hotrod but running no axle side washer and two on the outside helps! Can still flip my board just fine. Nothing beats 55s for me so no matter what else I try and whatever board I'm setting up I'm always going back to them

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #2859 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone tried an 8.5 with 55’s?
Super hot rod?
I’ve got conical wheels ( speed lab slappy hours)
[close]

I'm running this setup right now and have off and on over the last few years. You get a little bit of hotrod but running no axle side washer and two on the outside helps! Can still flip my board just fine. Nothing beats 55s for me so no matter what else I try and whatever board I'm setting up I'm always going back to them
what boards work the best for you with 55’s? Kicks/wb/fingers of flat?

Diocletian

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2860 on: January 28, 2021, 10:11:49 AM »
I've learned trucks wider than deck is no fun for me, less turn and more wheelbite. 44's with 2 washers on the inside works great for 8.5. For 8.6-8.8" I run three washers on the inside with wide wheels and it's pretty much flush with the deck. Never have a "magic carpet" feeling.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2861 on: January 28, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
I've learned trucks wider than deck is no fun for me, less turn and more wheelbite. 44's with 2 washers on the inside works great for 8.5. For 8.6-8.8" I run three washers on the inside with wide wheels and it's pretty much flush with the deck. Never have a "magic carpet" feeling.

This

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2862 on: January 28, 2021, 11:04:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]
what boards work the best for you with 55ís? Kicks/wb/fingers of flat?

Second the question about which boards with 55s

KillDayoy

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2863 on: January 28, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]

I prefer steeper kicks and between 14.38-.5 on wheelbase, don't really pay attention to fingers of flat

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2864 on: January 28, 2021, 12:33:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]
[close]

Second the question about which boards with 55s

Never owned a set of 55s, I personally ride 44s with 3 washers inside each wheel on 8.5 decks, but a friend of mine had a 8.75 Quasi with 55s and it was a hell of a lot of fun to ride. I had a rough time flipping it, especially nollie tricks, but it was amazing on transition. Only rode it for a couple laps in the park, but it felt really good under my feet, made me want to get a set just for tranny.

It didn't really feel like it hot rodded much tbh, or at least I didn't notice it did at all.

nevrwasben

• Rep: 18
  • Iím Buff Rick!!!
« Reply #2865 on: January 28, 2021, 03:18:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Super hot rod?
[close]

[close]
[close]

I prefer steeper kicks and between 14.38-.5 on wheelbase, don't really pay attention to fingers of flat
TKF 8.75
Mellow kicks
14.5-.6
1.5-2 fingers?

Ryantology

• Rep: 1
  • thingsgetweird.
    • thingsgetweird
« Reply #2866 on: February 01, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
Retired my 44s recently after the pivot cups blew out even though they had a lot of life left in the hangers. They just felt too squirrelly.

Is there a pivot cup replacement that anyone would recommend that holds up better?

off

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #2867 on: February 01, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »
Retired my 44s recently after the pivot cups blew out even though they had a lot of life left in the hangers. They just felt too squirrelly.

Is there a pivot cup replacement that anyone would recommend that holds up better?
riptide

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2868 on: February 01, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
riptide

Off giving you the real.

Ryantology: do you even madness bro?

CossRooper

• Rep: -21
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
« Reply #2869 on: February 01, 2021, 07:19:40 PM »
Just wanted to say that Ace' warranty program is pretty great. Nice, responsive dudes over there.

Bout to get some replacement Ace's in the mail. Unfortunately, it is the deep of winter so I hope the stories on the last few pages are maybe a little bit exaggerated I able to break them in OK in the deep cold.

Also, it looks like Ace is under a new distro now with.... evan smith's Uma landsleds??

https://www.mesadistribution.com/

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2870 on: February 01, 2021, 07:29:07 PM »
Just wanted to say that Ace' warranty program is pretty great. Nice, responsive dudes over there.

Bout to get some replacement Ace's in the mail. Unfortunately, it is the deep of winter so I hope the stories on the last few pages are maybe a little bit exaggerated I able to break them in OK in the deep cold.

Also, it looks like Ace is under a new distro now with.... evan smith's Uma landsleds??

why did you need a replacement?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2871 on: February 01, 2021, 09:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Crazy bent axle (hurdy gurdy) video wasn't it??

That one of putting the truck with wheel etc still on in the vice, axle vertically placed and spinning it to see the other end of the axle going round like a drunk clown.

That was a good trick to see if axles are bent.

hobochimp

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2872 on: February 02, 2021, 09:11:17 AM »
Ace heads that came from Indy. Anyone feel like their pop got messed up when making the switch? Was riding ace for a few months and found myself not making certain ledges that I used to make even though my deck was a lot lighter. Been screwing around on another setup with Indy standards and I could pop way higher much easier. Anyone run risers with their aces to make them Indy height?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2873 on: February 02, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »
Yes. 44 or 55? have tried risers and tried without. Havenít tried larger wheel. Think itís finding the right combo of wheel base and kicks and fingers of flat? And adjustment period. Havenít tried and skated enough (winter) to really adjust and know for sure. Considering 55 on 8.75Ē with a longer wb.

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #2874 on: February 02, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »
Ace heads that came from Indy. Anyone feel like their pop got messed up when making the switch? Was riding ace for a few months and found myself not making certain ledges that I used to make even though my deck was a lot lighter. Been screwing around on another setup with Indy standards and I could pop way higher much easier. Anyone run risers with their aces to make them Indy height?

Yeah, for sure. In early 2020 I got slappy crazy and switched to Ace as my main truck because I love the turn and the grind. But it did mess with my pop, which I brushed off because of how much I enjoyed them otherwise. Eventually I started running a riser and skating steeper kicks, which went a long way.

I should mention this is all with 44s. I have some 55s that were super fun but no matter what I did I just couldn't get the right pop with them so they have been retired. The 44s are on my cruiser/park setup RN, and I have been running ventures on my main.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
    • Instagram
« Reply #2875 on: February 02, 2021, 09:42:27 AM »
Yes, and for me the answer was adding .125" to the wb of the deck, and a 3mm riser pad to get it closer to what I was used to.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2876 on: February 02, 2021, 09:45:32 AM »
I donít understand what the factors are in setups that yield good pop for me with aces. Right now, the most popping setup I have is 33ís on an old ps 8x14x31.5. Iím tempted to say tail length, but that doesnít really checkout, nor mean shit thatís helpful for you. Playing with your foot positioning might help, meaning moving popping foot further up/down the kick. The idea being that ace changed the wb/length of the kick, fairly significantly compared to others, and ....then my mind freezes. Iím going with what works.
Most folks like steeper decks with ace, my best experiences have been on mellow girl or ps boards, boards that I would have thought would work better with ventures, say.
Bigger wheels helped one setup.
The real wood risers are nice, and bring you up to current stage indy cast plate height.
As an aside, Iíd like a shorter riser, 3mm adds a significant amount of larger wheel options, I donít need nearly that much.
Wish I had something helpful to share, but my shit is all gibberish.
Condensed: yes ace has a weirder pop, no Iíve got no idea what fixes it, but it can be fixed

CossRooper

• Rep: -21
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
« Reply #2877 on: February 02, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yep that was me, dual bent axles. @jay_nev the vids are back on page 90 if you want to peep.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2878 on: February 02, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yep that was me, dual bent axles. @jay_nev the vids are back on page 90 if you want to peep.
yeah I remember! Going to test it with my 55ís later as they arenít mounted at the moment.

pops

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2879 on: February 02, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »
Super tempted to change my setup but not sure yet. Im currently on 8.5/31.8/14.2 board with Aces and they make board feel super short. It feels good on smaller stuff but not that stable on ramps. Thinking on trying 32-32.5 length and 14.375-14.5 WB next since I don't flip much nowadays amd skate more transition and curbs. Anyone ride aces and 14.5wb, how is it?