Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738977 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2850 on: February 01, 2021, 07:29:07 PM »
Just wanted to say that Ace' warranty program is pretty great. Nice, responsive dudes over there.

Bout to get some replacement Ace's in the mail. Unfortunately, it is the deep of winter so I hope the stories on the last few pages are maybe a little bit exaggerated I able to break them in OK in the deep cold.

Also, it looks like Ace is under a new distro now with.... evan smith's Uma landsleds??

https://www.mesadistribution.com/
why did you need a replacement?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2851 on: February 01, 2021, 09:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Just wanted to say that Ace' warranty program is pretty great. Nice, responsive dudes over there.

Bout to get some replacement Ace's in the mail. Unfortunately, it is the deep of winter so I hope the stories on the last few pages are maybe a little bit exaggerated I able to break them in OK in the deep cold.

Also, it looks like Ace is under a new distro now with.... evan smith's Uma landsleds??

[close]

Crazy bent axle (hurdy gurdy) video wasn't it??

That one of putting the truck with wheel etc still on in the vice, axle vertically placed and spinning it to see the other end of the axle going round like a drunk clown.

That was a good trick to see if axles are bent.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2852 on: February 02, 2021, 09:11:17 AM »
Ace heads that came from Indy. Anyone feel like their pop got messed up when making the switch? Was riding ace for a few months and found myself not making certain ledges that I used to make even though my deck was a lot lighter. Been screwing around on another setup with Indy standards and I could pop way higher much easier. Anyone run risers with their aces to make them Indy height?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2853 on: February 02, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »
Yes. 44 or 55? have tried risers and tried without. Haven’t tried larger wheel. Think it’s finding the right combo of wheel base and kicks and fingers of flat? And adjustment period. Haven’t tried and skated enough (winter) to really adjust and know for sure. Considering 55 on 8.75” with a longer wb.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2854 on: February 02, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »
Ace heads that came from Indy. Anyone feel like their pop got messed up when making the switch? Was riding ace for a few months and found myself not making certain ledges that I used to make even though my deck was a lot lighter. Been screwing around on another setup with Indy standards and I could pop way higher much easier. Anyone run risers with their aces to make them Indy height?

Yeah, for sure. In early 2020 I got slappy crazy and switched to Ace as my main truck because I love the turn and the grind. But it did mess with my pop, which I brushed off because of how much I enjoyed them otherwise. Eventually I started running a riser and skating steeper kicks, which went a long way.

I should mention this is all with 44s. I have some 55s that were super fun but no matter what I did I just couldn't get the right pop with them so they have been retired. The 44s are on my cruiser/park setup RN, and I have been running ventures on my main.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2855 on: February 02, 2021, 09:42:27 AM »
Yes, and for me the answer was adding .125" to the wb of the deck, and a 3mm riser pad to get it closer to what I was used to.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2856 on: February 02, 2021, 09:45:32 AM »
I don’t understand what the factors are in setups that yield good pop for me with aces. Right now, the most popping setup I have is 33’s on an old ps 8x14x31.5. I’m tempted to say tail length, but that doesn’t really checkout, nor mean shit that’s helpful for you. Playing with your foot positioning might help, meaning moving popping foot further up/down the kick. The idea being that ace changed the wb/length of the kick, fairly significantly compared to others, and ....then my mind freezes. I’m going with what works.
Most folks like steeper decks with ace, my best experiences have been on mellow girl or ps boards, boards that I would have thought would work better with ventures, say.
Bigger wheels helped one setup.
The real wood risers are nice, and bring you up to current stage indy cast plate height.
As an aside, I’d like a shorter riser, 3mm adds a significant amount of larger wheel options, I don’t need nearly that much.
Wish I had something helpful to share, but my shit is all gibberish.
Condensed: yes ace has a weirder pop, no I’ve got no idea what fixes it, but it can be fixed

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2857 on: February 02, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yep that was me, dual bent axles. @jay_nev the vids are back on page 90 if you want to peep.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2858 on: February 02, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yep that was me, dual bent axles. @jay_nev the vids are back on page 90 if you want to peep.
yeah I remember! Going to test it with my 55’s later as they aren’t mounted at the moment.

pops

• Rep: 219
« Reply #2859 on: February 02, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »
Super tempted to change my setup but not sure yet. Im currently on 8.5/31.8/14.2 board with Aces and they make board feel super short. It feels good on smaller stuff but not that stable on ramps. Thinking on trying 32-32.5 length and 14.375-14.5 WB next since I don't flip much nowadays amd skate more transition and curbs. Anyone ride aces and 14.5wb, how is it?

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2860 on: February 02, 2021, 02:06:44 PM »
Super tempted to change my setup but not sure yet. Im currently on 8.5/31.8/14.2 board with Aces and they make board feel super short. It feels good on smaller stuff but not that stable on ramps. Thinking on trying 32-32.5 length and 14.375-14.5 WB next since I don't flip much nowadays amd skate more transition and curbs. Anyone ride aces and 14.5wb, how is it?

sounds like youre on a FA rn? I'm on a FA rn as well but last 2 boards were a polar and frog 14.5wb and I honestly loved it for skating bowls and such. Much more stable and control which seems to be what youre looking for.

Ever since I switched to Aces though, wheelbase hasn't been too much of a factor for me compared to when I was skating indys. Like I can go from a 14 to 14.5wb easily and only feel the difference when i skate transition. On indys a 14.3wb feels too long for me, but on aces 14.5 feels just right.

RoadSodas

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2861 on: February 02, 2021, 03:10:56 PM »
Apparently I'm weird and like my board and w/b to be super short. Currently on a Blood Wizard 8.5 with a 14.25' W/B and Ace 44's and loveeeee this setup for everything, though I mainly skate tranny. Came from skating 169's on a 8.5 for a really long time. Getting use to the smaller truck didn't take long, getting way less wheel bite and again I prefer the shorter W/B for when I do skate street stuff too. I do 3 washers on the inside of the wheel and bought wider OJ 54MM Hardlines to try and makeup the difference and it's great. Perfect world Ace makes a 8.625 truck but until then...

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2862 on: February 02, 2021, 04:51:39 PM »
Just switched from a 14.375 wb to 14.25 with 44s. Only had 1 session and a half ass post work sesh. But so far I think 14.375 with ace may be. My sweet spot. Hoping the 14.25 helps me learn some shit though.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2863 on: February 02, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »

Here's my experience, switching to Ace and Theeve after 16 years on Indy. I still have a 35" ollie, and  popping up and over high stuff has always sort of been my specialty. I was prepared to having to adjust, but I was scared about how it would affect my ollie. Much to my surprise, it didn't. I was on forged indy's for about a year before the switch, so the height difference wasn't too noticeable. I also happened to bump up in wheel size around that time, so it didn't really affect my timing. I've also heard people complain about a dead feeling pop, but to me it was an improvement over forged baseplates. I've sometimes wondered if I shouldn't ride such a short WB with the offset already being so tight on Ace, but I'm ok as long as the tail is short and somewhat steep.

tl;dr: no

My setup:
8.25 / 31" / 14.00WB, medium concave, short tail
Indy ti 144 ---> Ace 44 (and theeve 5.5)
52-54mm

pops

• Rep: 219
« Reply #2864 on: February 02, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sounds like youre on a FA rn? I'm on a FA rn as well but last 2 boards were a polar and frog 14.5wb and I honestly loved it for skating bowls and such. Much more stable and control which seems to be what youre looking for.

Ever since I switched to Aces though, wheelbase hasn't been too much of a factor for me compared to when I was skating indys. Like I can go from a 14 to 14.5wb easily and only feel the difference when i skate transition. On indys a 14.3wb feels too long for me, but on aces 14.5 feels just right.

This is what I experienced with Indys and that's why Im not sure about the change now. My last board was 14.375 and hated it with Indys since it felt way too long. Now Aces and 14.2 feels kinda stubby.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2865 on: February 02, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here's my experience, switching to Ace and Theeve after 16 years on Indy. I still have a 35" ollie, and  popping up and over high stuff has always sort of been my specialty. I was prepared to having to adjust, but I was scared about how it would affect my ollie. Much to my surprise, it didn't. I was on forged indy's for about a year before the switch, so the height difference wasn't too noticeable. I also happened to bump up in wheel size around that time, so it didn't really affect my timing. I've also heard people complain about a dead feeling pop, but to me it was an improvement over forged baseplates. I've sometimes wondered if I shouldn't ride such a short WB with the offset already being so tight on Ace, but I'm ok as long as the tail is short and somewhat steep.

tl;dr: no

My setup:
8.25 / 31" / 14.00WB, medium concave, short tail
Indy ti 144 ---> Ace 44 (and theeve 5.5)
52-54mm

A: GODDAMN 35” is no joke, almost a tennis net.

B: what is this 8.25x14x31 board?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #2866 on: February 05, 2021, 09:42:11 AM »
Tempted to try some Ace 55s after skating Venture 5.8/6.1s for the past year.  Thinking about pairing them with one of the new Hockey 8.75s or 9.00s that have longer wheelbases.  Might regret it - I really wish Ace made an 8.75 truck... 

Do Aces slide on the baseplate like Venture?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2867 on: February 05, 2021, 09:49:47 AM »
I really wish Ace made an 8.75 truck... 

me too!

and

yes!

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #2868 on: February 05, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

me too!

and

yes!

Sweet! Let the great experiment begin

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #2869 on: February 05, 2021, 10:20:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

me too!

and

yes!
[close]

Sweet! Let the great experiment begin
dang, i may have to try some 6.1s now too.  haven't had ventures since the early-mid 90s

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2870 on: February 05, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
The pinch on smith's and crooked grinds are what drew me to these trucks. Ace trucks are so light and stable I'm hyped to have a pair.
Dueces Bitch's

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2871 on: February 05, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »
The pinch on smith's and crooked grinds are what drew me to these trucks. Ace trucks are so light and stable I'm hyped to have a pair.
ace trucks... light??

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2872 on: February 05, 2021, 11:25:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ace trucks... light??

I'm confused by that post too, are they talking pinch with ACE? The word light doesn't belong for sure
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2873 on: February 05, 2021, 11:47:26 AM »
My ACE trucks are lighter than my titanium Indys

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2874 on: February 05, 2021, 01:01:57 PM »
ace have that same thing indy has going on for me where your board feels light while you're skating and popping off the ground but they feel heavy in your hands.

when I switched ace for ventures I was surprised at how they felt lighter in my hands but made my board feel heavier under my feet.

thunder were the neutral ones where they felt light in my hands and felt light under my feet and popping the board.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2875 on: February 05, 2021, 01:20:21 PM »
ace have that same thing indy has going on for me where your board feels light while you're skating and popping off the ground but they feel heavy in your hands.

when I switched ace for ventures I was surprised at how they felt lighter in my hands but made my board feel heavier under my feet.

thunder were the neutral ones where they felt light in my hands and felt light under my feet and popping the board.

I think that’s a function of how Aces pull the wheelbase in compared to Ventures which push it out a bit more. My thinking is that it takes less force to push the tail to the ground if the wb is pulled in and the opposite when it’s pulled out, which would be where the lighter/heavier feeling on the board comes from.

Diocletian

« Reply #2876 on: February 05, 2021, 01:27:45 PM »
My ACE trucks are lighter than my titanium Indys

That's cause you got ultra rare $90 worth mag plates dude ;)

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2877 on: February 05, 2021, 01:46:43 PM »
Does a mag baseplate make the truck that noticeably lighter? Just curious because I've never skated hollow trucks or anything other than the standard models.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2878 on: February 06, 2021, 06:00:19 PM »

ace isnt known to have the best pinch
in fact compared to thunder and venture its pretty ass
compared to indy its slightly worse

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2879 on: February 06, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »
Does a mag baseplate make the truck that noticeably lighter? Just curious because I've never skated hollow trucks or anything other than the standard models.

Yes. When you hold it in your hand. Not so much when it's on your board. Mag plates + Krux pins is noticeably lighter over all, even on the board.