Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 349960 times)

GlenSuggittsflexfit

• Rep: -1
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2790 on: December 22, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »
Could it be because Aces are lower than indys resulting in the tail hitting the ground differently?
To clarify it's not when I am ollieing, it's when I amholding the board and hit the underside of the tail on the ground to check the pop.

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #2791 on: December 22, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Could it be because Aces are lower than indys resulting in the tail hitting the ground differently?
[close]
To clarify it's not when I am ollieing, it's when I amholding the board and hit the underside of the tail on the ground to check the pop.

Pretty sure it is the aluminum, which is different in Ace than other brands. 7071 vs. 356 (Indy, etc.). It is also what gives Ace its softer feel during grinds.

I personally love it, but I can see why some people don't.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #2792 on: December 22, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »

No, it sounds this way even when holding board in hand and tapping the ground with tail. My theory is the soft metal of the baseplates has a deadening quality.

hot take

• Rep: -34
« Reply #2793 on: December 22, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, it sounds this way even when holding board in hand and tapping the ground with tail. My theory is the soft metal of the baseplates has a deadening quality.
Interesting theory! It kind of reminds me of a waterlogged board...but ya know, not bad.

Torre

• Rep: -24
« Reply #2794 on: December 22, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »
So can anyone vouch for these for skating street only? I always heard they are better for transition skaters but Iím interested in the short wheelbase they make but  skate mainly street

hot take

« Reply #2795 on: December 22, 2020, 01:34:48 PM »
So can anyone vouch for these for skating street only? I always heard they are better for transition skaters but Iím interested in the short wheelbase they make but  skate mainly street
I have short legs and have a hard time skating Indy,thunder, or venture. I feel I can Ollie higher and flip my board way easier on ace. The only downside that Iíve personally noticed is I have a harder time doing front and backside krooked grinds. And I slip out of back smith grinds a lot easier. Maybe itís the design/geometry of the truck?

Sundaynuggets

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2796 on: December 22, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »

I pretty much only skate street and my Aces are fine. They feel best on steeper kicks and few fingers of flat for me. Mellow kicks and too much flat with Aces feel good for manuals and smaller tricks but make my pop too light and doesnít work out for me.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2797 on: December 23, 2020, 09:43:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have short legs and have a hard time skating Indy,thunder, or venture. I feel I can Ollie higher and flip my board way easier on ace. The only downside that Iíve personally noticed is I have a harder time doing front and backside krooked grinds. And I slip out of back smith grinds a lot easier. Maybe itís the design/geometry of the truck?

I skate mostly street and yeah getting a good comfortable pinch is a little hard on aces but still possible (but some ledges idk why it just doesntwork)

this is mainly why I was considering getting risers for aces, I feel like being 3mm taller would make pinch a little easier to sit on and pop out of but idk

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #2798 on: December 24, 2020, 05:11:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I pretty much only skate street and my Aces are fine. They feel best on steeper kicks and few fingers of flat for me. Mellow kicks and too much flat with Aces feel good for manuals and smaller tricks but make my pop too light and doesnít work out for me.

not an ace fan but nick boserio, jacopo and SLAPs personal favorite Vinny bahn skate ace  and rip
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

hot take

« Reply #2799 on: December 24, 2020, 06:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I skate mostly street and yeah getting a good comfortable pinch is a little hard on aces but still possible (but some ledges idk why it just doesntwork)

this is mainly why I was considering getting risers for aces, I feel like being 3mm taller would make pinch a little easier to sit on and pop out of but idk
I run riser pads with my ace. Iíve actually had the same pair for like 15 years and always used them so Iím not sure what the difference would be. That is a good idea though and makes a lot of sense.

zozu

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2800 on: December 24, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
I only ever get the dead pop sound on my Ace 44s after changing wheels.

My 55mm con. fulls have an immaculate pop sound , whereas my 53s have a dead clunk and I have no idea why.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #2801 on: December 24, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »
I only ever get the dead pop sound on my Ace 44s after changing wheels.

My 55mm con. fulls have an immaculate pop sound , whereas my 53s have a dead clunk and I have no idea why.

Set up my newest set of 44ís as a Christmas complete. With brand new Swiss it sounded extremely dead. Now that the bearings are breaking in and making some noise, the pop sound is getting clacky even though the deck/setup is about 2 weeks now.

Diocletian

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2802 on: December 24, 2020, 09:03:11 PM »
I've had quite a few sets of Ace's from stage 1 all the way to the current versions sound dead. I think with the poor QC some of the kingpins just dont get pressed in properly from the factory and it makes them sound off.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -66
« Reply #2803 on: December 24, 2020, 09:17:48 PM »
Ace are great with Polar and no risers. Great pinch with them and with the Quasi I used them on. My worst pinch is Venture which some people think is the best so IDK

bombsaway86

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2804 on: December 27, 2020, 07:42:46 PM »
Rode Independent for 17 years before switching to Ace. Been on Aces for about 3 years now. I was feeling nostalgic and put an old set of Indys on, and it reminded me why I switched to Ace and never looked back. Besides quality control, Ace does everything so much better than Independent

m477

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2805 on: December 27, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »
Iíve had the waterlogged sound before also (not just with ace, but Indy as well). I spent way too much time trying to fix the sound. I swapped baseplates, wheels, cleaned bearings, all this with a fresh bbs deck...

Putting in harder (more dense) bushings remedied the problem. I like the Indy black aftermarket ones

pops

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2806 on: December 28, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »
gonna be skating my aces soon, hyped but still stressing the shit out of their qc issues I've been reading >:( ;D or do they still have those? if so, switching back to indys soon.

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 68
« Reply #2807 on: December 28, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
You are about to find out. I've had 3 sets of 44s and two sets of 55s with no issues whatsoever.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #2808 on: December 28, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Depends on what is most important to you: qc (sometimes) or turn. I like ace better than indy, by a lot, but Indy is more durable in my experience. My most recent ace have been fine, but even when the axles used to bend they were still rideable. Iíve had indys that have bent and been unrideable, but that was in early 2000s. Blah blah blah ace are dope

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2809 on: December 28, 2020, 11:42:41 AM »
You are about to find out. I've had 3 sets of 44s and two sets of 55s with no issues whatsoever.

Same, 2 sets of 44ís, 33ís and 55ís too and no problems

bombsaway86

« Reply #2810 on: December 28, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
On the topic of quality control/durability, I've never had any issues that made them unskatable. I've had a set of 44s and 55s.

The axle is slightly off center on the 55s. When I tighten down the nut, one side will have a few threads showing and the other side will be flush. I've had wider wheels where I can only tighten the nut a quarter turn past finger tight. I've seen a few others post about this too.

Both sets have the wobbly kingpin, but I don't notice it when I'm skating.

I love the stock bushings, but both sets got stiff and stopped turning as well after a few months. I like Krux bushings even more than the stock ones anyway, so can't complain too much about this either

bonafidekook

« Reply #2811 on: January 05, 2021, 02:53:01 PM »
People were discussing the Polar surf shape with Ace's, longtime indy rider just made the switch at the end of this year (now dealing with a Canadian winter). Heres 55's on the surf shape. Maybe the slightest bit wide in the back as they peek out a little bit if you're not looking straight down but I feel like 44's would be way too small up front. Was definitely unsure of how these would fit as I didn't want to have to go back to 159's to make it work. In the few weeks I got to skate these trucks they felt so good, excited to break them in on this board!

sweet pee

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2812 on: January 05, 2021, 03:42:55 PM »
I couldn't get ahold of 55's, so I set my Shin up with some 44's and it seems to be working ok so far.
I'm also running a wider wheel (OG classics) so that helps make up for some of the width difference.
For skinnier wheels (reg classics) I would definitely prefer 55's...

jamersonbass

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2813 on: January 05, 2021, 04:19:19 PM »
I couldn't get ahold of 55's, so I set my Shin up with some 44's and it seems to be working ok so far.
I'm also running a wider wheel (OG classics) so that helps make up for some of the width difference.
For skinnier wheels (reg classics) I would definitely prefer 55's...

Nice!  I have some Conical Full 56's coming, so hoping for a playful cruiser that can haul, but I can still do some flip tricks.

Mr. Stinky

• Rep: 79
« Reply #2814 on: January 05, 2021, 04:27:27 PM »
My current set of 44s is almost axled with a rattling kingpin and sometimes makes boards sound dead, but it also makes certain boards feel somehow alive, as in it gives them so much springy pop that they feel like they're actively trying to help me do tricks.  My only pair of 55s has a savagely bent hanger--not the end of the axle, like I've done with other trucks, but the hanger starting about an inch from the yoke.  I'm working on getting warranty service for them now, because those shits are fucked up, but I really liked them.  I'm skating more transition than I used to and want to set up a new 8.75 bowl board as soon as the warranty comes through.  Anyway, I love Aces, but I can tell that they are just not as good for certain things as other trucks. 

I got some Thunder 148 hollow lights for Christmas and set them up on a $lave 8.25.  I've never ridden Thunders before this, but I was frankly startled at how easy crooked grinds and feebles in particular were with them.  It was as if just getting the truck on the ledge/rail was all it took to lock in and go, whereas Aces require a kind of choreography involving where to put pressure on your foot to make those tricks work.  Both have pretty similar feeling pop to me, strangely, but I get way more wheelbite on the Thunders with 54mm radials worn down a couple mm (my 44s have 56mm Classic Fulls and they barely wheelbite), even though I'm riding them medium-loose and I weigh 170.  I dunno, looking forward to keeping comparing and contrasting. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2815 on: January 05, 2021, 05:40:53 PM »
Yeah, Stinky I rotate between Ace and Thunder also. I think Thunder wheel bite easier bc of the geometry. Something about the way Ace turns, keeps it from wheel biting so much despite a similar height. Just a theory but Ace seem to 'hook' under the deck more. Thunders turn quick but with less of a curve in the turn or 'hook.' I don't know if that's the best way to describe it or not. Anyway, I like them both.

On another note, I'm hoping the new sizes are out soon. On their website, they have BA riding 66s and Raven riding 55s. I'm guessing this is a nod to the new sizes with the new 55s being 8.5" and 66s being 8.75".

Mr. Stinky

« Reply #2816 on: January 05, 2021, 06:15:55 PM »
Yeah, Stinky I rotate between Ace and Thunder also. I think Thunder wheel bite easier bc of the geometry. Something about the way Ace turns, keeps it from wheel biting so much despite a similar height. Just a theory but Ace seem to 'hook' under the deck more. Thunders turn quick but with less of a curve in the turn or 'hook.' I don't know if that's the best way to describe it or not. Anyway, I like them both.

On another note, I'm hoping the new sizes are out soon. On their website, they have BA riding 66s and Raven riding 55s. I'm guessing this is a nod to the new sizes with the new 55s being 8.5" and 66s being 8.75".

Thatís exactly it. The way I understand it, trucks turn by pivoting when you lean on them to make a portion of a circle that you trace with your turn. Aces can pivot a whole bunch before they lean enough to hit the wheel wells, which probably has something to do with how much they shrink the wheelbase.  Nothing else like them. Still excited to give Thunders a go, but the cold weather is putting a damper on breaking in new trucks and is definitely pushing me towards Aces or even my stage 8 Indys right now.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2817 on: January 05, 2021, 06:23:56 PM »
New trucks in winter are a big no no.

Thunders feel so so different to Ace but I find a broken in pair of 151s on 1'8" risers to suit most of my needs. There's nothing spicy going on. They are predictable, stable when you want them to be and turn super quick when you need it. I've never had speed wobble on loose Thunders. Another thing.... When a deck seems to be all mushed out as its nearing the end of its useful life, I can take my Aces off and put the Thunders on and it feels snappier, stiffer and more responsive again. But when Ace do an 8.75" that turn might be too much for me to resist. That could be the truck I grind to Valhalla on.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2818 on: January 05, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »

Thunders feel so so different to Ace but I find a broken in pair of 151s on 1'8" risers to suit most of my needs. There's nothing spicy going on. They are predictable, stable when you want them to be and turn super quick when you need it. I've never had speed wobble on loose Thunders. Another thing.... When a deck seems to be all mushed out as its nearing the end of its useful life, I can take my Aces off and put the Thunders on and it feels snappier, stiffer and more responsive again. But when Ace do an 8.75" that turn might be too much for me to resist. That could be the truck I grind to Valhalla on.

I do the same thing with aging decks. Ace to Indy to bring a little life back or Ace/Indy to Thunder or Venture if itís a mellower deck to bring it back to life

Mr. Stinky

« Reply #2819 on: January 05, 2021, 08:19:11 PM »

Yeah, I may need to head south and visit my folks if I want to get those Thunders in working order before the thaw.  You're making me want to try some 151s (like I needed the help getting truck madness), even though I rarely ride a board that wide.  I actually only ever have one setup over 8.38" going at any given time, and, god forgive me, I really love running 159 forged hollows with Ace bushings on it.  Obviously, an Ace in that size is preferable, so here's to hoping.

I do the same thing with aging decks. Ace to Indy to bring a little life back or Ace/Indy to Thunder or Venture if itís a mellower deck to bring it back to life

Excellent suggestions, both of you.  If Ace ever fixes the weird softness they seem to bring to a setup, I will also ask to be buried with those trucks.