Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738975 times)

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 152
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2790 on: December 28, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
On the topic of quality control/durability, I've never had any issues that made them unskatable. I've had a set of 44s and 55s.

The axle is slightly off center on the 55s. When I tighten down the nut, one side will have a few threads showing and the other side will be flush. I've had wider wheels where I can only tighten the nut a quarter turn past finger tight. I've seen a few others post about this too.

Both sets have the wobbly kingpin, but I don't notice it when I'm skating.

I love the stock bushings, but both sets got stiff and stopped turning as well after a few months. I like Krux bushings even more than the stock ones anyway, so can't complain too much about this either

bonafidekook

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2791 on: January 05, 2021, 02:53:01 PM »
People were discussing the Polar surf shape with Ace's, longtime indy rider just made the switch at the end of this year (now dealing with a Canadian winter). Heres 55's on the surf shape. Maybe the slightest bit wide in the back as they peek out a little bit if you're not looking straight down but I feel like 44's would be way too small up front. Was definitely unsure of how these would fit as I didn't want to have to go back to 159's to make it work. In the few weeks I got to skate these trucks they felt so good, excited to break them in on this board!

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #2792 on: January 05, 2021, 03:42:55 PM »
I couldn't get ahold of 55's, so I set my Shin up with some 44's and it seems to be working ok so far.
I'm also running a wider wheel (OG classics) so that helps make up for some of the width difference.
For skinnier wheels (reg classics) I would definitely prefer 55's...

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2793 on: January 05, 2021, 04:19:19 PM »
I couldn't get ahold of 55's, so I set my Shin up with some 44's and it seems to be working ok so far.
I'm also running a wider wheel (OG classics) so that helps make up for some of the width difference.
For skinnier wheels (reg classics) I would definitely prefer 55's...

Nice!  I have some Conical Full 56's coming, so hoping for a playful cruiser that can haul, but I can still do some flip tricks.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2794 on: January 05, 2021, 04:27:27 PM »
My current set of 44s is almost axled with a rattling kingpin and sometimes makes boards sound dead, but it also makes certain boards feel somehow alive, as in it gives them so much springy pop that they feel like they're actively trying to help me do tricks.  My only pair of 55s has a savagely bent hanger--not the end of the axle, like I've done with other trucks, but the hanger starting about an inch from the yoke.  I'm working on getting warranty service for them now, because those shits are fucked up, but I really liked them.  I'm skating more transition than I used to and want to set up a new 8.75 bowl board as soon as the warranty comes through.  Anyway, I love Aces, but I can tell that they are just not as good for certain things as other trucks. 

I got some Thunder 148 hollow lights for Christmas and set them up on a $lave 8.25.  I've never ridden Thunders before this, but I was frankly startled at how easy crooked grinds and feebles in particular were with them.  It was as if just getting the truck on the ledge/rail was all it took to lock in and go, whereas Aces require a kind of choreography involving where to put pressure on your foot to make those tricks work.  Both have pretty similar feeling pop to me, strangely, but I get way more wheelbite on the Thunders with 54mm radials worn down a couple mm (my 44s have 56mm Classic Fulls and they barely wheelbite), even though I'm riding them medium-loose and I weigh 170.  I dunno, looking forward to keeping comparing and contrasting. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2795 on: January 05, 2021, 05:40:53 PM »
Yeah, Stinky I rotate between Ace and Thunder also. I think Thunder wheel bite easier bc of the geometry. Something about the way Ace turns, keeps it from wheel biting so much despite a similar height. Just a theory but Ace seem to 'hook' under the deck more. Thunders turn quick but with less of a curve in the turn or 'hook.' I don't know if that's the best way to describe it or not. Anyway, I like them both.

On another note, I'm hoping the new sizes are out soon. On their website, they have BA riding 66s and Raven riding 55s. I'm guessing this is a nod to the new sizes with the new 55s being 8.5" and 66s being 8.75".

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2796 on: January 05, 2021, 06:15:55 PM »
Yeah, Stinky I rotate between Ace and Thunder also. I think Thunder wheel bite easier bc of the geometry. Something about the way Ace turns, keeps it from wheel biting so much despite a similar height. Just a theory but Ace seem to 'hook' under the deck more. Thunders turn quick but with less of a curve in the turn or 'hook.' I don't know if that's the best way to describe it or not. Anyway, I like them both.

On another note, I'm hoping the new sizes are out soon. On their website, they have BA riding 66s and Raven riding 55s. I'm guessing this is a nod to the new sizes with the new 55s being 8.5" and 66s being 8.75".

That’s exactly it. The way I understand it, trucks turn by pivoting when you lean on them to make a portion of a circle that you trace with your turn. Aces can pivot a whole bunch before they lean enough to hit the wheel wells, which probably has something to do with how much they shrink the wheelbase.  Nothing else like them. Still excited to give Thunders a go, but the cold weather is putting a damper on breaking in new trucks and is definitely pushing me towards Aces or even my stage 8 Indys right now.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2797 on: January 05, 2021, 06:23:56 PM »
New trucks in winter are a big no no.

Thunders feel so so different to Ace but I find a broken in pair of 151s on 1'8" risers to suit most of my needs. There's nothing spicy going on. They are predictable, stable when you want them to be and turn super quick when you need it. I've never had speed wobble on loose Thunders. Another thing.... When a deck seems to be all mushed out as its nearing the end of its useful life, I can take my Aces off and put the Thunders on and it feels snappier, stiffer and more responsive again. But when Ace do an 8.75" that turn might be too much for me to resist. That could be the truck I grind to Valhalla on.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2798 on: January 05, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »

Thunders feel so so different to Ace but I find a broken in pair of 151s on 1'8" risers to suit most of my needs. There's nothing spicy going on. They are predictable, stable when you want them to be and turn super quick when you need it. I've never had speed wobble on loose Thunders. Another thing.... When a deck seems to be all mushed out as its nearing the end of its useful life, I can take my Aces off and put the Thunders on and it feels snappier, stiffer and more responsive again. But when Ace do an 8.75" that turn might be too much for me to resist. That could be the truck I grind to Valhalla on.

I do the same thing with aging decks. Ace to Indy to bring a little life back or Ace/Indy to Thunder or Venture if it’s a mellower deck to bring it back to life

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2799 on: January 05, 2021, 08:19:11 PM »

Yeah, I may need to head south and visit my folks if I want to get those Thunders in working order before the thaw.  You're making me want to try some 151s (like I needed the help getting truck madness), even though I rarely ride a board that wide.  I actually only ever have one setup over 8.38" going at any given time, and, god forgive me, I really love running 159 forged hollows with Ace bushings on it.  Obviously, an Ace in that size is preferable, so here's to hoping.

I do the same thing with aging decks. Ace to Indy to bring a little life back or Ace/Indy to Thunder or Venture if it’s a mellower deck to bring it back to life

Excellent suggestions, both of you.  If Ace ever fixes the weird softness they seem to bring to a setup, I will also ask to be buried with those trucks. 

Diocletian

« Reply #2800 on: January 05, 2021, 08:43:56 PM »

Seriously. The breaking in of ice cold new bushings, a fresh hanger with no grooves slipping all over dusty coping at an indoor, yuck.

wheelieshuvit

• Rep: 0
  • The Real Slim Shady
« Reply #2801 on: January 05, 2021, 11:21:19 PM »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2802 on: January 06, 2021, 12:46:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONNP_Cc_MU
Funny because he's running Indy as of mid/late last year!
Need to watch though!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Diocletian

« Reply #2803 on: January 06, 2021, 06:57:00 AM »
He's been on Indy for several years.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2804 on: January 06, 2021, 07:23:07 AM »
I got some Thunder 148 hollow lights for Christmas and set them up on a $lave 8.25.  I've never ridden Thunders before this, but I was frankly startled at how easy crooked grinds and feebles in particular were with them.  It was as if just getting the truck on the ledge/rail was all it took to lock in and go, whereas Aces require a kind of choreography involving where to put pressure on your foot to make those tricks work.

As someone who does a ton of slappy crooks, yep. This is the kind of shit that gives me the madness.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2805 on: January 06, 2021, 09:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously. The breaking in of ice cold new bushings, a fresh hanger with no grooves slipping all over dusty coping at an indoor, yuck.

The stuff of nightmares.

Expand Quote
I got some Thunder 148 hollow lights for Christmas and set them up on a $lave 8.25.  I've never ridden Thunders before this, but I was frankly startled at how easy crooked grinds and feebles in particular were with them.  It was as if just getting the truck on the ledge/rail was all it took to lock in and go, whereas Aces require a kind of choreography involving where to put pressure on your foot to make those tricks work.
[close]

As someone who does a ton of slappy crooks, yep. This is the kind of shit that gives me the madness.

Unfortunately the madness has convinced me that each and every truck has its own special place. This is how I justify having about a dozen pairs of trucks including all the major brands.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2806 on: January 06, 2021, 10:24:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The stuff of nightmares.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Unfortunately the madness has convinced me that each and every truck has its own special place. This is how I justify having about a dozen pairs of trucks including all the major brands.

So I ended up switching my Aces out for some Indys on my lunch break and I must be fully used to Ace. Indys didn't feel easier to crook and I put the Aces back on. Feeling much better.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2807 on: January 06, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
He's been on Indy for several years.
Damn, you're right! Feels like it was last year (2019, still not used to it being 2021) in my mind because I remember the switch and thinking Ace of Ace was pretty funny. Guess it was back in 2018. Where did that time go? Lol
Super Champion Fun Zone

Diocletian

« Reply #2808 on: January 06, 2021, 12:06:59 PM »

I think the best advice for truck madness is focusing on what aspect of a truck is the most important, then choose based on that. Mine is turning, and no other truck can get me that turning satisfaction like Ace. A Thunder or Venture might make me feel more stable, an Indy might put my mind at ease with a titanium truck that I wont have any bending/breaking issues...but none of it matters in the end because I need to feel that insane turning ability under my feet.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2809 on: January 07, 2021, 08:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the best advice for truck madness is focusing on what aspect of a truck is the most important, then choose based on that. Mine is turning, and no other truck can get me that turning satisfaction like Ace. A Thunder or Venture might make me feel more stable, an Indy might put my mind at ease with a titanium truck that I wont have any bending/breaking issues...but none of it matters in the end because I need to feel that insane turning ability under my feet.

I'm with you on that one. I'm the same, I need to have the best turn possible while not worrying too much about wheelbite, and Ace delivers just that. Honorable mentions to Indy though, a very close second, and they last longer, which is another important part for me. I usually rotate between Ace 44s and Indy 159s, depending on the deck dimensions, but Ace is where I feel most at home.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2810 on: January 07, 2021, 08:51:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm with you on that one. I'm the same, I need to have the best turn possible while not worrying too much about wheelbite, and Ace delivers just that. Honorable mentions to Indy though, a very close second, and they last longer, which is another important part for me. I usually rotate between Ace 44s and Indy 159s, depending on the deck dimensions, but Ace is where I feel most at home.

I more or less adhere to this strategy, but also try to have my cake and eat it too.  I generally skate Anti Hero and $lave boards (all 8.25 or 8.38/8.4, with the exception of a 8.88 bowl board with 159s) these days, more or less exclusively.  I get steeper concave on the Anti Hero boards, which means Ace gets the job done there.  I can skate anything on those setups. 

$lave uses a pretty average concave, which gives a lot more flexibility with what works, truck-wise, and I've used that as an opportunity to go between Venture and stage 8 146s (a seriously great truck, and I'm lucky to have two pairs with good axles that don't slip).  I tend to skate more ledge/rail/flat with those boards since that is where those setups seem to shine.  Now I'll probably phase out the Ventures for Thunders, since I like how they pinch better, like I mentioned upthread.

In the end, though, Ace is still my favorite.  The 44 just gets more things right than about any other truck.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2811 on: January 10, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
With ace replacement bushings being out of stock. I know krux bushings work, does anyone know if dimebag works? Is there a list of what works? I have some new bones in my parts bin but trying to stay away from them.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2812 on: January 10, 2021, 07:52:21 PM »
With ace replacement bushings being out of stock. I know krux bushings work, does anyone know if dimebag works? Is there a list of what works? I have some new bones in my parts bin but trying to stay away from them.
whats wrong with your stock ace bushings?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2813 on: January 13, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
Any Ace 55/66 riders that can tell how they ride? Kinda contemplating on Ace or Indy for my next pair of trucks. Mostly been riding curbs and flatground these days so would like to know if anyone has done similar type of skating with them?

Diocletian

« Reply #2814 on: January 13, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
They ride faster turning than Indy and are heavy.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2815 on: January 13, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
indy cylinder bushings might fit
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2816 on: January 13, 2021, 05:06:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
indy cylinder bushings might fit

That's what I did - I took out the white stock from a set of Indy special editions and put them in a set of Ace trucks I had (just to see if anyone else noticed a difference, because they didn't want to ride orange Indy bushings in Ace trucks) and I thought they worked better than the stock bushings, but that is just me.

I did find it funny that two other guys who ride Ace thought they turned better / were more stable with the Indy bushings, but personal preference comes into it a lot.

Ace stock were 85 duro, but the Indy stock were 90, so they were a bit more stable, which is why those guys liked them more.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2817 on: January 13, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »
Any Ace 55/66 riders that can tell how they ride? Kinda contemplating on Ace or Indy for my next pair of trucks. Mostly been riding curbs and flatground these days so would like to know if anyone has done similar type of skating with them?

I have / had boards set up with both Ace 55 and 66, as well as my usual rides on Indy of all sizes, and they all work well for what I was wanting.

I know some people will swear by Ace more so than Indy, but I found Indy to be that bit thicker, stronger and longer lasting overall, with more options, but as far as the Ace truck goes, they work fine, no issues, skate well, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #2818 on: January 13, 2021, 05:15:12 PM »

They’re stable, turny, and heavy as shit. I love my set though I have them on a curb board right now.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2819 on: January 13, 2021, 06:15:41 PM »
Indy bushings (169) feel way softer than ace bushings (55) to me