Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 349723 times)

Diocletian

• Rep: 45
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2820 on: January 05, 2021, 08:43:56 PM »
New trucks in winter are a big no no.

Seriously. The breaking in of ice cold new bushings, a fresh hanger with no grooves slipping all over dusty coping at an indoor, yuck.

wheelieshuvit

• Rep: 0
  • The Real Slim Shady
« Reply #2821 on: January 05, 2021, 11:21:19 PM »

DarkPools

• Rep: 19
  • Viajeros Locos!
« Reply #2822 on: January 06, 2021, 12:46:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONNP_Cc_MU
Funny because he's running Indy as of mid/late last year!
Need to watch though!
Colt 45 Cannon

Diocletian

« Reply #2823 on: January 06, 2021, 06:57:00 AM »
He's been on Indy for several years.

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #2824 on: January 06, 2021, 07:23:07 AM »
I got some Thunder 148 hollow lights for Christmas and set them up on a $lave 8.25.  I've never ridden Thunders before this, but I was frankly startled at how easy crooked grinds and feebles in particular were with them.  It was as if just getting the truck on the ledge/rail was all it took to lock in and go, whereas Aces require a kind of choreography involving where to put pressure on your foot to make those tricks work.

As someone who does a ton of slappy crooks, yep. This is the kind of shit that gives me the madness.

Mr. Stinky

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2825 on: January 06, 2021, 09:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously. The breaking in of ice cold new bushings, a fresh hanger with no grooves slipping all over dusty coping at an indoor, yuck.

The stuff of nightmares.

Expand Quote
I got some Thunder 148 hollow lights for Christmas and set them up on a $lave 8.25.  I've never ridden Thunders before this, but I was frankly startled at how easy crooked grinds and feebles in particular were with them.  It was as if just getting the truck on the ledge/rail was all it took to lock in and go, whereas Aces require a kind of choreography involving where to put pressure on your foot to make those tricks work.
[close]

As someone who does a ton of slappy crooks, yep. This is the kind of shit that gives me the madness.

Unfortunately the madness has convinced me that each and every truck has its own special place. This is how I justify having about a dozen pairs of trucks including all the major brands.

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #2826 on: January 06, 2021, 10:24:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The stuff of nightmares.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Unfortunately the madness has convinced me that each and every truck has its own special place. This is how I justify having about a dozen pairs of trucks including all the major brands.

So I ended up switching my Aces out for some Indys on my lunch break and I must be fully used to Ace. Indys didn't feel easier to crook and I put the Aces back on. Feeling much better.

DarkPools

• Rep: 19
  • Viajeros Locos!
« Reply #2827 on: January 06, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
He's been on Indy for several years.
Damn, you're right! Feels like it was last year (2019, still not used to it being 2021) in my mind because I remember the switch and thinking Ace of Ace was pretty funny. Guess it was back in 2018. Where did that time go? Lol
Colt 45 Cannon

Diocletian

« Reply #2828 on: January 06, 2021, 12:06:59 PM »

I think the best advice for truck madness is focusing on what aspect of a truck is the most important, then choose based on that. Mine is turning, and no other truck can get me that turning satisfaction like Ace. A Thunder or Venture might make me feel more stable, an Indy might put my mind at ease with a titanium truck that I wont have any bending/breaking issues...but none of it matters in the end because I need to feel that insane turning ability under my feet.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2829 on: January 07, 2021, 08:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the best advice for truck madness is focusing on what aspect of a truck is the most important, then choose based on that. Mine is turning, and no other truck can get me that turning satisfaction like Ace. A Thunder or Venture might make me feel more stable, an Indy might put my mind at ease with a titanium truck that I wont have any bending/breaking issues...but none of it matters in the end because I need to feel that insane turning ability under my feet.

I'm with you on that one. I'm the same, I need to have the best turn possible while not worrying too much about wheelbite, and Ace delivers just that. Honorable mentions to Indy though, a very close second, and they last longer, which is another important part for me. I usually rotate between Ace 44s and Indy 159s, depending on the deck dimensions, but Ace is where I feel most at home.

Mr. Stinky

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2830 on: January 07, 2021, 08:51:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm with you on that one. I'm the same, I need to have the best turn possible while not worrying too much about wheelbite, and Ace delivers just that. Honorable mentions to Indy though, a very close second, and they last longer, which is another important part for me. I usually rotate between Ace 44s and Indy 159s, depending on the deck dimensions, but Ace is where I feel most at home.

I more or less adhere to this strategy, but also try to have my cake and eat it too.  I generally skate Anti Hero and $lave boards (all 8.25 or 8.38/8.4, with the exception of a 8.88 bowl board with 159s) these days, more or less exclusively.  I get steeper concave on the Anti Hero boards, which means Ace gets the job done there.  I can skate anything on those setups. 

$lave uses a pretty average concave, which gives a lot more flexibility with what works, truck-wise, and I've used that as an opportunity to go between Venture and stage 8 146s (a seriously great truck, and I'm lucky to have two pairs with good axles that don't slip).  I tend to skate more ledge/rail/flat with those boards since that is where those setups seem to shine.  Now I'll probably phase out the Ventures for Thunders, since I like how they pinch better, like I mentioned upthread.

In the end, though, Ace is still my favorite.  The 44 just gets more things right than about any other truck.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #2831 on: January 10, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
With ace replacement bushings being out of stock. I know krux bushings work, does anyone know if dimebag works? Is there a list of what works? I have some new bones in my parts bin but trying to stay away from them.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #2832 on: January 10, 2021, 07:52:21 PM »
With ace replacement bushings being out of stock. I know krux bushings work, does anyone know if dimebag works? Is there a list of what works? I have some new bones in my parts bin but trying to stay away from them.
whats wrong with your stock ace bushings?

JugeL

• Rep: -7
« Reply #2833 on: January 13, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
Any Ace 55/66 riders that can tell how they ride? Kinda contemplating on Ace or Indy for my next pair of trucks. Mostly been riding curbs and flatground these days so would like to know if anyone has done similar type of skating with them?

Diocletian

« Reply #2834 on: January 13, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
They ride faster turning than Indy and are heavy.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2835 on: January 13, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
indy cylinder bushings might fit
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2836 on: January 13, 2021, 05:06:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
indy cylinder bushings might fit

That's what I did - I took out the white stock from a set of Indy special editions and put them in a set of Ace trucks I had (just to see if anyone else noticed a difference, because they didn't want to ride orange Indy bushings in Ace trucks) and I thought they worked better than the stock bushings, but that is just me.

I did find it funny that two other guys who ride Ace thought they turned better / were more stable with the Indy bushings, but personal preference comes into it a lot.

Ace stock were 85 duro, but the Indy stock were 90, so they were a bit more stable, which is why those guys liked them more.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2837 on: January 13, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »
Any Ace 55/66 riders that can tell how they ride? Kinda contemplating on Ace or Indy for my next pair of trucks. Mostly been riding curbs and flatground these days so would like to know if anyone has done similar type of skating with them?

I have / had boards set up with both Ace 55 and 66, as well as my usual rides on Indy of all sizes, and they all work well for what I was wanting.

I know some people will swear by Ace more so than Indy, but I found Indy to be that bit thicker, stronger and longer lasting overall, with more options, but as far as the Ace truck goes, they work fine, no issues, skate well, etc.

FatGuy92

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2838 on: January 13, 2021, 05:15:12 PM »

Theyíre stable, turny, and heavy as shit. I love my set though I have them on a curb board right now.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #2839 on: January 13, 2021, 06:15:41 PM »
Indy bushings (169) feel way softer than ace bushings (55) to me

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2840 on: January 13, 2021, 06:59:18 PM »
Indy bushings (169) feel way softer than ace bushings (55) to me

It was weird, but I think the difference between well worn in bushings might be different to the first session just riding new trucks bushings.  These were well worn in and definitely not new Indy trucks, so could be different to the current Indy orange bushings.

I wonder if they have changed the duro on bushings at all too, but I had noticed the stock Indy ones started off very squishy and get a bit more solid once they wear in, but then if they blow out, they get all kinds of loosey goosey.

Probably should take a set off each off the new sets of trucks I have and compare sizes / then put them in the same trucks on one of my regular boards and done up to the same height (as per bushing height) and see how they feel.

That and comparing the height of kingpin, washers, etc.

I might be going down the rabbit hole with that one though!

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Suciu
« Reply #2841 on: January 16, 2021, 05:58:27 AM »
When are the updated aces supposed to be dropping? Want to wait for those before trying a pair out.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

IpathCats

• Rep: -18
« Reply #2842 on: January 16, 2021, 07:57:40 AM »
When are the updated aces supposed to be dropping? Want to wait for those before trying a pair out.

I was told this spring a little while back from someone on Ace's IG. I've since deleted my account, so no screenshot, sorry.
.....Nah

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2843 on: January 17, 2021, 12:47:33 AM »
Is the only difference between the baseplates on ace low and high the kingpin length?  I found some brand new magnesium plates online but they are listed as low.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2844 on: January 17, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2845 on: January 20, 2021, 06:40:17 PM »
Does anyone here skate the 33s? I've only skated 44's but was thinking of sizing my whole setup down a little bit and was wondering how they compare or what people's feelings are on them. Currently skating 44's on an 8.75 because I like a pretty intense magic carpet feeling... was thinking of doing 33's on a 8.25

Sundaynuggets

• Rep: 73
« Reply #2846 on: January 20, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »
Does anyone here skate the 33s? I've only skated 44's but was thinking of sizing my whole setup down a little bit and was wondering how they compare or what people's feelings are on them. Currently skating 44's on an 8.75 because I like a pretty intense magic carpet feeling... was thinking of doing 33's on a 8.25

Iím skating 33ís on an 8í right now. Not too different from 44ís aside from the obvious size difference. I had 44ís on a 8.75 a couple years ago and loved it, but if the magic carpet feeling is a problem you shouldnít feel it as much on an 8.25 on 33ís

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2847 on: January 20, 2021, 06:56:01 PM »

You probably have it set up as you like it (magic carpet), but as you already have them, you could try the 44s on a smaller deck first and see how it rides.

I just found that 33s are just too narrow for my liking when I set them up on an 8.125 that I had 139s and 144s on (usually on Indy 149s on 8.38 nowdays so everything else feels small) even though it would still give the same effect sized down, I wonder if it might also be too narrow for you.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2848 on: January 20, 2021, 07:20:54 PM »
I havenít had 33s for a bit, got some on the way from the good dude. Anyways, I swear, this is first gen, mind you, that they used to say they were something like 7.9 wide. Without measuring Iíd say ace have slightly smaller hangers, causing the axles to be longer, which allows for more wheel positions via speed rings. Take all of that with a pile of salt.
I like 8Ē trucks the best. Iíve had 33s on 8.25. Fondly remember that setup. Iím short, size 10 shoe. For reference. Wider shit has never helped me unlock anything, it can, occasionally, feel more comfy. But I donít skate any better.
Plus 33s look the coolest.

Diocletian

« Reply #2849 on: January 20, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »
I skated 33's years ago on an 8.125 and 8.18, they were fun as hell. I had to go back to 44's though, on transition even a 8.38" wide truck is cutting it close to being a little too skinny for catching coping and overall stability. I agree the 33's look better because they retain that classic more svelt look.