Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 746263 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4260 on: June 17, 2021, 04:59:31 PM »
It’s impossible to switch for the krux kingpin, right? Gotten too used to em’, probably just gonna switch to the K5 if the AF1’s don’t work out for me. Been putting off setting em up.

Are you asking if it's possible to switch the Ace kingpin for the hollow Krux kingpin? Because yes, as far as the Classics go, is possible and quiet easy (although I know logjammin ran into trouble with him). It has been discussed at length in this thread, but the Instagram user pretty_rad (I think, correct me if I am wrong) has a detailed post about it. I did it personally and it worked out great.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4261 on: June 17, 2021, 06:48:02 PM »
Anyone skated Aces on an Anti Hero Huffer / Crailtap Phawt shape? Just picked up one + I have some old Thunder 151's that could fit it but I'm tempted to pick up some 55 Classics

Yes. I've used 151s and 55 Classics. The 55 Classics work really nice but I mostly use this set up in pools and bigger bowls.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4262 on: June 18, 2021, 12:06:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone skated Aces on an Anti Hero Huffer / Crailtap Phawt shape? Just picked up one + I have some old Thunder 151's that could fit it but I'm tempted to pick up some 55 Classics
[close]

Yes. I've used 151s and 55 Classics. The 55 Classics work really nice but I mostly use this set up in pools and bigger bowls.

I skated mine best with 151s. 55 classics are my new fave truck tho....so, per usual, I am of no assistance

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4263 on: June 21, 2021, 07:56:52 AM »
I've had about 3 sessions so far on the AF1 55's. They turn great right out of the box but I noticed during the 2nd session that maybe the bushings are making a "ticking" sound now...? You know how new bushings make that squeaking sound as they're being compressed and its continual? Well when I turn on these trucks, it isn't a continual sound but a quick creaking/ticking sound. Anyone else experience this on the new Ace bushings? I'm sure it isn't a big deal because they function great, just curious.

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #4264 on: June 21, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
I've had about 3 sessions so far on the AF1 55's. They turn great right out of the box but I noticed during the 2nd session that maybe the bushings are making a "ticking" sound now...? You know how new bushings make that squeaking sound as they're being compressed and its continual? Well when I turn on these trucks, it isn't a continual sound but a quick creaking/ticking sound. Anyone else experience this on the new Ace bushings? I'm sure it isn't a big deal because they function great, just curious.

I'm fairly sure that's a problem with the pour on the pivot cup as has been mentioned earlier in this thread
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4265 on: June 21, 2021, 08:17:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm fairly sure that's a problem with the pour on the pivot cup as has been mentioned earlier in this thread
what exactly is up with the pivot cups? was my pivot cup just not poured evenly, hence the quick creaking sound? even if it is an issue, i dont think it will effect performance that much but the sound is kinda distracting

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4266 on: June 21, 2021, 08:21:03 AM »
The clicking is the washer shifting against the kingpin.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4267 on: June 21, 2021, 08:24:50 AM »
ahh, i see. I'll play around with the tightness and looseness of them. I left them stock and didn't touch them.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4268 on: June 21, 2021, 08:26:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ahh, i see. I'll play around with the tightness and looseness of them. I left them stock and didn't touch them.
I super glued the washer to the nut and that fixed mine.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4269 on: June 21, 2021, 11:15:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I super glued the washer to the nut and that fixed mine.
what will you do when you wanna replace your bushings or tighten/loosen them lol

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4270 on: June 21, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »
what will you do when you wanna replace your bushings or tighten/loosen them lol
I didn't super glue the nut to the kingpin. I made the top washer and the nut one piece. I can still remove them and tighten the trucks fine - this just prevents washer play.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4271 on: June 21, 2021, 04:11:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I didn't super glue the nut to the kingpin. I made the top washer and the nut one piece. I can still remove them and tighten the trucks fine - this just prevents washer play.

Genius at work!

I can just picture bad scenarios where things all get glued together and nothing comes apart, but that way you did it just means that it is doing exactly what you need it to do and not doing what people have had issue with.

Gnar'd

I had a few goes at other things like tape round the kingpin or even blu tac (reusable sticky stuff) between things which seemed to make the clicking stop well enough, but I think your option is the best.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #4272 on: June 21, 2021, 05:16:08 PM »
After a few months, I really like my AF1-55s. We'll see if they hold up but I'm just really happy with how they turn and feel. still more wild than Indys but maybe a little more controlled than the old 44s.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #4273 on: June 21, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »
My classics still have lots of life left, but I went ahead and pulled the gun on some AF1s because they were on sale due to GSD sales.

Now I have to fight the urge to create another set up with those. HAHA.

pops

• Rep: 238
« Reply #4274 on: June 22, 2021, 11:02:12 AM »
Had to get those Af166s for my bigger board (8.875). Skated them only for half an hour today but had lots of fun. Left them at stock tightness and they were a little tighter feeling (obviously) than my 55s were fresh new but still surfy and very controllable.

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #4275 on: June 22, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »
I couldn't get down with my AF1's no matter how hard I tried, something always felt off and then right when I'd set foot on my classics I'd get that "ahh" feeling and be right at home. I gave the AF1's to a friend of mine who I've been trying to get to try Ace's for a long time but he's stubborn and has been rolling on his old raw/standard 159 stage 11 Indy's that have a USA stamp on the bottom.

At first he was kinda tripping on how insanely loose they felt but he kept an open mind, then he was like wow, I can seriously turn on these trucks and make split second decisions and control my board like I've never felt before! It was like a proud dad moment for me. He's running them stock, no clicking issues and is gaining back some tricks as well. I think AF1's are better for those who are apprehensive about switching from Indy, they offer more stability and are "tame" compared to the classics, imo. Shalom

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4276 on: June 22, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »
Kept my AF’1s at stock tightness hoping that the bushings would soften up enough, but that never happened and felt the turning radius was being handicapped the whole time. Today I loosened them about half a turn and everything is much, much better now, they feel like Aces to me again.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4277 on: June 22, 2021, 05:35:21 PM »
My classics still have lots of life left, but I went ahead and pulled the gun on some AF1s because they were on sale due to GSD sales.

Now I have to fight the urge to create another set up with those. HAHA.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4278 on: June 23, 2021, 05:03:21 AM »
Long time lurker, first time ACEr.

Got my first set of AF1 66's and I'm loving them, even if they are bigger than the old trucks (Indy 159) but they felt good straight from the get go. Carving is very responsive and it takes less space to turn (if that makes sense) overall they are responding very good and I've gotten used to them in a single session.

The front pivot cup kinda broke in but not to the point it became a problem.

Now it's time to get them all in my quiver...
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

IpathCats

« Reply #4279 on: June 23, 2021, 06:32:05 AM »
I couldn't get down with my AF1's no matter how hard I tried, something always felt off and then right when I'd set foot on my classics I'd get that "ahh" feeling and be right at home. I gave the AF1's to a friend of mine who I've been trying to get to try Ace's for a long time but he's stubborn and has been rolling on his old raw/standard 159 stage 11 Indy's that have a USA stamp on the bottom.

At first he was kinda tripping on how insanely loose they felt but he kept an open mind, then he was like wow, I can seriously turn on these trucks and make split second decisions and control my board like I've never felt before! It was like a proud dad moment for me. He's running them stock, no clicking issues and is gaining back some tricks as well. I think AF1's are better for those who are apprehensive about switching from Indy, they offer more stability and are "tame" compared to the classics, imo. Shalom

Misread this and thought you were saying the AF1's were more stable and turned more than indy's. What a dream that would be.

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #4280 on: June 23, 2021, 08:02:04 AM »
Ace's do turn better and are more stable than Indy though?

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4281 on: June 23, 2021, 08:27:49 AM »
I would say Aces definitely turn better. But let’s be real, Indys are more stable, especially when you start to add in speed.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4282 on: June 23, 2021, 08:30:54 AM »
I would say Aces definitely turn better. But let’s be real, Indys are more stable, especially when you start to add in speed.

I've had the other experience. I have found Ace have a great combination or being able to turn really well going slow but also feel stable at speed. its a nice balance. Indy don't have that. Thunder, while a very very different turning truck, also have that quality.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4283 on: June 23, 2021, 09:59:46 AM »
Ace's do turn better and are more stable than Indy though?
They are.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #4284 on: June 23, 2021, 10:09:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you feeble and smith much? Feebles especially rotate my washer a lot over time, wonder if yours will just stay put or loosen the nut.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4285 on: June 23, 2021, 11:54:40 AM »
Do you feeble and smith much? Feebles especially rotate my washer a lot over time, wonder if yours will just stay put or loosen the nut.
Yeah I do feeble a lot - I find that after breaking in trucks, the nut usually indents the washer a little bit, and I suppose that dent keeps it in place for me. For instance, on my really used trucks, the washer turns with the nut anyway without any glue.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4286 on: June 24, 2021, 01:28:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That seems a bit extra. For a product as highly advertised and marketed as the AF1's were, I'm kind of disappointed that one would have to do some MacGuyver work on them to get them to stop clicking. If the clicking doesn't go away, then I'll give superglueing the nut to washers a try. Never had this problem with any other truck I've had. I've only had 2 or 3 sessions so far on the AF1's and I'm honestly not as impressed by them as I was when I got the Classics. But we'll see if time will shock me.

IpathCats

« Reply #4287 on: June 24, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »

I share this opinion.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4288 on: June 24, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »
That seems a bit extra. For a product as highly advertised and marketed as the AF1's were, I'm kind of disappointed that one would have to do some MacGuyver work on them to get them to stop clicking.
Agreed - shouldn't even be necessary but I'm not going to worry about the things I can't control and I'll be damned if I'm going to have to listen to that shit during the break in process. Weird that it didn't happen to my AF1 44s, but the 55s I got click super loud.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4289 on: June 24, 2021, 01:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote
That seems a bit extra. For a product as highly advertised and marketed as the AF1's were, I'm kind of disappointed that one would have to do some MacGuyver work on them to get them to stop clicking.
[close]
Agreed - shouldn't even be necessary but I'm not going to worry about the things I can't control and I'll be damned if I'm going to have to listen to that shit during the break in process. Weird that it didn't happen to my AF1 44s, but the 55s I got click super loud.
I'm actually pretty pissed off. Its bullshit honestly. All that marketing... and what I get is the product to annoy me while I'm putting them to use. If anybody from Ace or the Tershay's lurk this thread.... get your shit together. I know its the first batch of the AF1's but DAMN. Also please DM me for my address once the kinks are worked out because Ace Classics have a special place in my heart now, so much so that I'm still willing to stick with the AF1's. Lol.