Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747317 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4230 on: June 10, 2021, 10:17:33 PM »
i wish ace made an 8.75 truck.... 8.5 trucks feel too unstable on transition for me because i suck

Some people have said to run the AF1 66 (9") trucks without inside washers and they have worked on boards around the 8.75 size.

I haven't tried it myself, but I know that would be more comfortable for some people than running magic carpet rides on the 8.5" wide trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4231 on: June 10, 2021, 11:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote

I’m about to pull the trigger on some 66 AF1s as my first pair of aces, but now this thread has me thinking maybe I should get classics?
[close]

A bit of price difference and a lot of personal preference really, determining what you want.  Size board / width of truck also comes into it some, depending on what size you want.  At least both have smaller sizes (which I don't think about) but both also have even 9.0" but apart from that if you were more a 9.5" truck person, the AF1 77, or a bit less, the Classic 66 in 9.35" width.

OCD has 20% off trucks and wheels right now too, so might be a good chance to get them cheaper, and all relevant sizes in stock too.

Yeah the OCD sale is what pushed me into it. Nabbed the AF1 66s. Tad smaller than 169s but they’ll be fine I’m sure!

Also just (hopefully) secured a Krooked Beamer so will need either my 215s on it or the biggest Aces they make if I like these

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4232 on: June 11, 2021, 07:38:04 AM »
I have some Acer Ti axle nuts that are super thin and allow me to run 3 washers inside and one out.  It makes my AF1 55s usable on an 8.75. The outside wheel width is within a couple mm of them on my 159s.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4233 on: June 11, 2021, 07:41:31 AM »
65-70 dollars for a pair of trucks is crazy to me.
warehouse skateboards has the AF1 for $45

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #4234 on: June 11, 2021, 09:40:11 AM »
Expand Quote
i wish ace made an 8.75 truck.... 8.5 trucks feel too unstable on transition for me because i suck
[close]

Some people have said to run the AF1 66 (9") trucks without inside washers and they have worked on boards around the 8.75 size.

I haven't tried it myself, but I know that would be more comfortable for some people than running magic carpet rides on the 8.5" wide trucks.
Classic 55s or af1 66s with no inside washers is the sweet spot for 8.62-8.75s. As always brimson knows his shit.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4235 on: June 11, 2021, 10:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Classic 55s or af1 66s with no inside washers is the sweet spot for 8.62-8.75s. As always brimson knows his shit.

Yes.
I haven’t tried the af1 66s, but I’m really into the classic 55’s, and use those on an 8.5 with the speed rings on the outside only, really stoked on it.
I haven’t given the af1s nearly enough time, but if I was looking for an Indy with more turn, that’s what I’d use. The classics are a little more interesting to me at this time.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4236 on: June 11, 2021, 10:35:46 AM »

So, here we are with my AF1 66s. Nut was so ground down that it wouldn’t stay on anymore. Flew off on a frontside slappy.

41 hours of skating, 26 sessions, in 40 days. Mostly slappies. I did break in a bunch of new curbs and some of them were rather crunchy like that one in the pic, so that helps. Still, this is quite fast.

Not sure how much longer other trucks would have lasted. I’m guessing a lower kingpin would help a lot in that regard.

I’ll cut the top bushings, put them back on, get a new nut and screw that one deep like @Mbrimson88 suggested. Briefly tried that today with my old 44 classics and it seems to work nicely. Interesting to see if I can grind some trucks in half with that trick.  :D

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4237 on: June 11, 2021, 10:44:08 AM »

So, here we are with my AF1 66s. Nut was so ground down that it wouldn’t stay on anymore. Flew off on a frontside slappy.

41 hours of skating, 26 sessions, in 40 days. Mostly slappies. I did break in a bunch of new curbs and some of them were rather crunchy like that one in the pic, so that helps. Still, this is quite fast.

Not sure how much longer other trucks would have lasted. I’m guessing a lower kingpin would help a lot in that regard.

I’ll cut the top bushings, put them back on, get a new nut and screw that one deep like @Mbrimson88 suggested. Briefly tried that today with my old 44 classics and it seems to work nicely. Interesting to see if I can grind some trucks in half with that trick.  :D
i've had a similar experience with Ace's top bushings with my Ace 44 classics (haven't tried the AF1's yet because I heard the wheelbase is slightly longer than the classics). It fell off while I was just cruising around on the street. Switched out the top bushing for yellow bones bushings but kept the original Ace bottom bushing. Turns like a dream and I haven't had problems with the bushings ever since.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4238 on: June 11, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where do you see this? I see them listed for $30.99-$31.99 per truck, on their website.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4239 on: June 11, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »

I've rarely seen a better use case for the Krux/Kreaper modification

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #4240 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Where do you see this? I see them listed for $30.99-$31.99 per truck, on their website.

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/skateboard-trucks#class=1t&sort=dprice&pg=1&brand=ACE|&category=2256
Enjoy your life.

IpathCats

« Reply #4241 on: June 11, 2021, 12:22:24 PM »
Fuck skate warehouse, fuck warehouse skateboards, fuck CCS, fuck Zumiez, give your money to a shop. Pretty sure I saw these on orchards site recently.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4242 on: June 11, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/skateboard-trucks#class=1t&sort=dprice&pg=1&brand=ACE|&category=2256

Ahh, I read that as Skate Warehouse. Thanks for the tip, I just hit axle on my 44s.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4243 on: June 11, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »
Fuck skate warehouse, fuck warehouse skateboards, fuck CCS, fuck Zumiez, give your money to a shop. Pretty sure I saw these on orchards site recently.
Fuck charging $75 for a $50 product... I know Orchard is one of the good ones, but when I order from small shops, sometimes I end up getting fucked over. Like when 303 (CO) decided to take the AF1s out of the individual poly bags and ship them rubbing together in a bigger bag - or when Magnolia (TX) folded up my Quasi hat in half, shipped it in a USPS bag to save shipping, that got folded again (hat now folded quarters) in my mailbox - or when Haven (NM) just taped a cut up mini logo griptape box to the actual deck itself so the weight of the freight warped the deck. At least when a bigger shop like skatewarehouse fucks up, they make it right.

Still fuck Zumiez though.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4244 on: June 11, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »

Skate warehouse is a shop.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4245 on: June 11, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Krux kingpin is so short that I dunno how it would work while still maintaining the proper turn plus it’s a bitch to install. I don’t mind grinding through the kingpins & nuts but I want to grind a set of trucks in half and on stock Aces that doesn’t seem very likely. I’ll report back when I’ve managed to either grind a set in half or grind the nuts so down that they won’t stay on anymore even with cut up bushings.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4246 on: June 11, 2021, 02:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The Krux kingpin is so short that I dunno how it would work while still maintaining the proper turn

There is no function of geometry where a shorter pin well above the top of the fulcrum of the truck would result in a different turning radius.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #4247 on: June 11, 2021, 02:33:10 PM »
I want to grind a set of trucks in half

Props on both accounts

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4248 on: June 11, 2021, 06:03:20 PM »

Ha yeah, making them go from well used to totally destroyed (while still keeping the nut on) but it is always interesting to see how others find that little hack.

Sometimes I have seen others cut the top bushing too much, but at least you can always put the other bit back under it in a newer set of trucks and the bushings still work as they are supposed to, then cut down another set.

I try to leave about 5mm minimum for the top, but a bit more or less will work too, especially when the truck is so far down you have to use super low tops just to get kingpin clearance.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #4249 on: June 12, 2021, 06:43:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Fuck charging $75 for a $50 product... I know Orchard is one of the good ones, but when I order from small shops, sometimes I end up getting fucked over. Like when 303 (CO) decided to take the AF1s out of the individual poly bags and ship them rubbing together in a bigger bag - or when Magnolia (TX) folded up my Quasi hat in half, shipped it in a USPS bag to save shipping, that got folded again (hat now folded quarters) in my mailbox - or when Haven (NM) just taped a cut up mini logo griptape box to the actual deck itself so the weight of the freight warped the deck. At least when a bigger shop like skatewarehouse fucks up, they make it right.

Have you tried to ask these other shops to make up for their mistakes? And yes, it's expected that you will pay more at a small shop. But I feel like I shouldn't have to explain to you why it's worth it/important to do so.
Expand Quote
[close]

.....Nah

kenjiro

« Reply #4250 on: June 12, 2021, 09:19:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

id rather support my friends in their small business than an online retailer any day.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4251 on: June 12, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

.....Nah

….YeAh

rip louis b.k.

• Rep: 15
  • im fadies
« Reply #4252 on: June 17, 2021, 05:32:35 AM »
It’s impossible to switch for the krux kingpin, right? Gotten too used to em’, probably just gonna switch to the K5 if the AF1’s don’t work out for me. Been putting off setting em up.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #4253 on: June 17, 2021, 06:53:46 AM »
It’s impossible to switch for the krux kingpin, right? Gotten too used to em’, probably just gonna switch to the K5 if the AF1’s don’t work out for me. Been putting off setting em up.

Hey man, yeah I tried to do an inverted kingpin conversion with Ace baseplates and although I was able to epoxy the nut properly, the hole above that where more of the solid non-threaded part of the kingpin goes was slightly widened or something, so my kingpin was wobbling back and forth while I skated making a weird clicking sound.

I'm pretty fed up with trying to do inverted kingpins in general, I bought some stage 7's from a slap pal recently and the nut wont fit into the baseplate hole like I thought it should, if I hammer it into there it will just ruin the nut and put stress on the kingpin. At this point I'm going to probably just use an angle grinder on a regular kingpin and use low top bushings.

By the way, if anyone is curious if you can use an AF1 baseplate/classic hanger or vice versa, the former is the only one that works. You have to use a low Ace bottom bushing to retain the classic geometry and not push the wheelbase out. But even if you used a regular height bottom, the kingpin sticks up even higher than if you used a classic baseplate. So basically, for the most part it doesn't really work. I'm still going to try it out today and see how bad it feels on grinds with the kingpin way up there and my hanger ground down 3/4 of the way. Madness has been bad lately. Shalom.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4254 on: June 17, 2021, 06:57:19 AM »
id rather support my friends in their small business than an online retailer any day.
if I had a local, I'd shop there 100% of the time. Since I don't, I usually just order online from the closest shop that doesn't overcharge. Which is usually something in Texas. No-comply is the best.

As for the ACE AF1 - still digging them. Perfect combo of turn and stability. Prefer the 55s, but I can't imagine them on a regular board (heavy), I mount them on a powell flight 243 (which measures 8.3 top bolts, tapered to 8.25 at the rear).

al_cvbrera

« Reply #4255 on: June 17, 2021, 12:14:42 PM »
How do they feel compared to Indy 149 hollows? I know the Ace AF1 55s are about the same weight. Maybe more. But would the tighter wheelbase make them feel lighter than the Indy's?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4256 on: June 17, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
How do they feel compared to Indy 149 hollows? I know the Ace AF1 55s are about the same weight. Maybe more.
149 hollows are 13oz
AceAF1 55s are 14oz
But would the tighter wheelbase make them feel lighter than the Indy's?
I have 149 titaniums on the new IKP plates - they feel lighter when popping than do the AF1 55s.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #4257 on: June 17, 2021, 02:34:18 PM »

Agreed

Expand Quote
[close]

Shame you had such bad experiences but like the OP asked, did you speak to all those shops to try and get compensated? It does suck when certain customer service levels aren't met but sometimes that can be down to one shit member of staff and I'm sure if you spoke to the management then you'd get taken care of. But if the owner is a wasteman then the shop won't last very long anyway. It shouldn't stop anyone supporting small independent businesses over big corporations though.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #4258 on: June 17, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Shame you had such bad experiences but like the OP asked, did you speak to all those shops to try and get compensated? It does suck when certain customer service levels aren't met but sometimes that can be down to one shit member of staff and I'm sure if you spoke to the management then you'd get taken care of. But if the owner is a wasteman then the shop won't last very long anyway. It shouldn't stop anyone supporting small independent businesses over big corporations though.
its a lot harder on a little shop to handle miss-steps or fuck ups. they usually dont have the budget to compensate, that being said they should know how to ship stuff.

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4259 on: June 17, 2021, 04:43:20 PM »
Anyone skated Aces on an Anti Hero Huffer / Crailtap Phawt shape? Just picked up one + I have some old Thunder 151's that could fit it but I'm tempted to pick up some 55 Classics