Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 745143 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #5370 on: May 02, 2022, 11:16:29 AM »
I’m coming off Ventures and in the park my lo’s are like…….weeeeeeeee!  Some mariokart shit….

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5371 on: May 02, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »
Yeah, my first session on my new 60s was a little wild on the steel coping grind but they didn't take long to get good. Something about this latest batch of AF1s feels better than the original... probably just me being so stoked on finally having 8.75"ers.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #5372 on: May 02, 2022, 08:14:06 PM »
I only ride that longer DLX 8.6 shape and af1 55s have been working good but I'm kind of psyched to try some 60s now

wheee!

mamba

• Rep: 140
  • Sucka free
« Reply #5373 on: May 03, 2022, 08:13:49 AM »
Did anyone's wheelbase preference change from classics to AF-1?

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #5374 on: May 03, 2022, 08:17:11 AM »
14.25WB on some AF1's is a wet dream

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5375 on: May 03, 2022, 12:27:21 PM »
Update I'm in love with my 55 lows on 2.5mm mini logo risers. Almost same height as standards, but different weight and wheelbase and it just doesn't feel too high. Turning is incredible and it's impossible to wheelbite with stock washers, which feels weird at first but I like it now.

Currently on 8.3 krooked twin, 14.4 wheelbase, kinda steep kicks (II). 52mm Spit tablets.
With the right risers (or lack thereof) they might just work with any deck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5376 on: May 05, 2022, 06:15:45 PM »
I've been diehard Indy since at least 2009. I've only dabbled briefly with Thunders once and did not like it. Before switching full time to Indy I tried Royal, Silver, and Thunder only with bad results (baseplate cracking, kingpin issues, etc.)

I've hated the thought of breaking away from my Indy love, but are Ace Classics worth trying if they're on sale for $34 a set or is it worth it to try AF-1 instead? My wallet is hoping everyone says NO! Hahah

I recently picked up Venture 5.8 and Thunder 151 for some experimental shit on some unused decks I've been sitting on. Haven't set up yet. I'm also considering Ace for my experimental shit after skating for 16 years.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #5377 on: May 05, 2022, 06:55:14 PM »
I've been diehard Indy since at least 2009. I've only dabbled briefly with Thunders once and did not like it. Before switching full time to Indy I tried Royal, Silver, and Thunder only with bad results (baseplate cracking, kingpin issues, etc.)

I've hated the thought of breaking away from my Indy love, but are Ace Classics worth trying if they're on sale for $34 a set or is it worth it to try AF-1 instead? My wallet is hoping everyone says NO! Hahah

I recently picked up Venture 5.8 and Thunder 151 for some experimental shit on some unused decks I've been sitting on. Haven't set up yet. I'm also considering Ace for my experimental shit after skating for 16 years.
if you’re going to get ace i’d recommend the AF1s! the grind will feel different but that turn is incredible. i wish ya luck :)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5378 on: May 05, 2022, 06:55:54 PM »
 I'd recommend trying Classics first to experience the turn. If you really like them, then go AF1 (slightly less turny, very slight)

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5379 on: May 05, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »

I would go for it and if you hate them, try the ace bushings in the Indy trucks before completely writing them off.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #5380 on: May 05, 2022, 07:28:48 PM »

The QC on classics are lower than AF1s. If you are willing to accept the possibility of some wonkiness or bent trucks in return for the best turn ever, then go ahead (having said that, there are plenty of people, me included, who haven’t had any problems with their classics)

If you want the best possible experience with turn and QC, get the AF1s.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5381 on: May 05, 2022, 10:13:53 PM »
Thank you all for the replies  :)

I always heard and saw people having issues with Ace somewhat frequently so I avoided them. However, I've skated on two boards with Ace for a couple minutes and it felt so strange and squirrely.. but I don't want to write them off.

I think if I go for em, I'll need to give them proper attention. The Indy stability, grind, and carve feel like home, so if it's close to it but more turny, I think I can get down with it!

I'll let yall know what I end up doing!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:47:40 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #5382 on: May 05, 2022, 10:18:24 PM »
To get my Indy’s loose and turny, they also get really tippy, like I’m balancing just on the kingpin.

Ace don’t have that, I can have a relatively stable center but it transitions into a beautiful turn smoothly.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

logjammin

« Reply #5383 on: May 06, 2022, 07:02:05 AM »
I found the ultimate combo for AF1's. Stock bottom bushings with those Array sleeved washers, Ace aftermarket hard top bushings with no top washer. Insane turn, snap back to center is incredible.

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/9681/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washers

Sorry for the tease if you're interested in them, looks like out of stock :(

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #5384 on: May 06, 2022, 07:04:58 AM »
I found the ultimate combo for AF1's. Stock bottom bushings with those Array sleeved washers, Ace aftermarket hard top bushings with no top washer. Insane turn, snap back to center is incredible.

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/9681/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washers

Race to amazon for the cheap version they're back in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TD05FQM?psc=1&smid=A2NUTIP4YG7D18&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #5385 on: May 06, 2022, 09:14:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Race to amazon for the cheap version they're back in stock.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TD05FQM?psc=1&smid=A2NUTIP4YG7D18&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

I've been intrigued by this sort of washer since I noticed that my Ace Classic washers had scored up my original kingpin. Thanks for the heads up - I just ordered two pairs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

logjammin

« Reply #5386 on: May 06, 2022, 10:08:27 AM »
They turn any bushing into a Bones bushing basically, but since it's a metal washer, you don't have to worry about any plastic cores separating from the urethane.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5387 on: May 06, 2022, 12:57:25 PM »
https://array-products.com/collections/array-products/products/05-array-barrel-washers-2

or

https://array-products.com/collections/array-products/products/01-array-cone-washers-2

or

https://array-products.com/products/04-array-cone-and-barrel-washer-pack-2-2?variant=18294905765955

I use stock washers everywhere but front truck top/roadside (bones flat filed about 1/3 thinner). I reshape top/roadside stock washer for the back truck to be a bit thinner with material removed from the outside edge (keeps washer from biting hanger while turning deep.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 01:06:03 PM by FrankRizzo »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5388 on: May 11, 2022, 03:51:32 PM »
The stock bushings on my AF1 60s have now hardened to perfection. Love having a truck I don't have to do anything with. I'm a few sessions in and the clicking just began but I will heed my own advice and let them continue to break in beyond the clicks.

May you all find your perfect truck very soon. I cannot tell you how much my quality of life has improved, going to bed at night knowing I will never again, toss and turn, sweat and cry over 1/4" of width... or thunder vs Ace. Stock bushings vs Krux (not to mention that scary NFG urethane wizard that is now grooming some of you). Namaste.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5389 on: May 11, 2022, 04:08:30 PM »
see you in a month or two
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

logjammin

« Reply #5390 on: May 11, 2022, 05:30:14 PM »
not to mention that scary NFG urethane wizard that is now grooming some of you

Truly a urethane predator.

IpathCats

« Reply #5391 on: May 12, 2022, 06:51:52 AM »
see you in a month or two

BIG FAX

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #5392 on: May 12, 2022, 07:25:50 AM »
Counting my days on my year old classic 44s. Well into the axel on the front from crooks. Easily my favorite pair of trucks ever. Never touched anything on them, just rode em how they came. I have AF1s on ice, hope they dont let me down

mamba

• Sucka free
« Reply #5393 on: May 12, 2022, 07:44:14 AM »
Counting my days on my year old classic 44s. Well into the axel on the front from crooks. Easily my favorite pair of trucks ever. Never touched anything on them, just rode em how they came. I have AF1s on ice, hope they dont let me down

Stick with the classics my dude...

streetmeat

« Reply #5394 on: May 12, 2022, 07:50:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :(

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5395 on: May 12, 2022, 08:32:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :(

AF1 are good. Depending on what you like they might be slightly better or worse but overall there’s no huge differences so I’m sure you’ll be fine on the AF1s and after they’re done you can decide if you wanna stick with them or go back to Classics.

mamba

• Sucka free
« Reply #5396 on: May 12, 2022, 08:55:14 AM »
When you said you loved the Ace 44 classics and these were your favorite trucks ever, that was literally me. I tried the AF-1 and couldn't get over how the grind changed. If you love something stick with it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #5397 on: May 12, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »
Go try a set of ventures….

streetmeat

« Reply #5398 on: May 12, 2022, 09:26:03 AM »
When you said you loved the Ace 44 classics and these were your favorite trucks ever, that was literally me. I tried the AF-1 and couldn't get over how the grind changed. If you love something stick with it.

:-\ god dammit

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5399 on: May 12, 2022, 09:35:01 AM »
Don't panic. It will be fine. Set your AF1s up, break them in proper and they will get good. Real good.