Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747674 times)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2010 on: March 13, 2020, 07:51:07 AM »

edit..
I did a quick review of alloys a few pages back. Yes to softer and wear more quickly. But most ppl say that make em grind better?

I've read that also. I've found otherwise. It is not enough for me not to rid them but I find a noticeable lag in the grind on most surfaces. Still love the trucks. I'm in the optimistic camp in thinking the new Aces will settle my truck issues for some time. It might be awhile before we see them though...

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2011 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
Expand Quote

edit..
I did a quick review of alloys a few pages back. Yes to softer and wear more quickly. But most ppl say that make em grind better?

[close]

I've read that also. I've found otherwise. It is not enough for me not to rid them but I find a noticeable lag in the grind on most surfaces. Still love the trucks. I'm in the optimistic camp in thinking the new Aces will settle my truck issues for some time. It might be awhile before we see them though...
Me too, watching from the sidelines and letting the R&D take shape for the next release

jtrpma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2012 on: March 23, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »
Took my aces off yesterday and apart from the kingpin being supper rattly and loose, also the pivot cup hole is blown out. After two months of pretty easy winter skating.
Never had these problems with other trucks.

Does anyone on here feel know what the best replacement kingpins are?
Thanks

PMA

Diocletian

« Reply #2013 on: March 23, 2020, 05:13:31 PM »
Took my aces off yesterday and apart from the kingpin being supper rattly and loose, also the pivot cup hole is blown out. After two months of pretty easy winter skating.
Never had these problems with other trucks.

Does anyone on here feel know what the best replacement kingpins are?
Thanks

Email their warranty dept they’ll get you new baseplates and then those will do the same thing.

Juanjo789

« Reply #2014 on: March 24, 2020, 06:00:34 AM »
Hey guys, whats the biggest size board you can use 44s in. Im currently riding them with 56mm conical fulls on an 8.5 and they work fine, how much can I stretch the board range I use them on.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2015 on: March 24, 2020, 06:14:58 AM »
As wide as you dare to go? I ride 44’s on 8.5” and wouldn’t go any wider than that, I prefer 8.4” with them.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

hmmmokay

« Reply #2016 on: March 24, 2020, 06:23:16 AM »
Hey guys, whats the biggest size board you can use 44s in. Im currently riding them with 56mm conical fulls on an 8.5 and they work fine, how much can I stretch the board range I use them on.

In my experience, 8.5 is the max I would want to run 44s on. Depends on how full the shape is too. You can push your wheels out a little bit too by adding an extra washer on the axel before you put your wheel on, if you're like me and like to see a bit of wheel poking out.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2017 on: March 24, 2020, 06:36:34 AM »

I rode an 8.75 on 44’s with 60mm wheels last year and I think that was the limit of what those trucks could handle, for me. On 8.8+ I have to move up to 55’s

Juanjo789

« Reply #2018 on: March 24, 2020, 06:40:52 AM »
As wide as you dare to go? I ride 44’s on 8.5” and wouldn’t go any wider than that, I prefer 8.4” with them.
I mean I used them in a 9.25 baker board but at the time i had 58mm conical full which were worn down to 54mm but were really wide, how does it affect on stuff like grinds if the truck is considerably smaller than the board?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2019 on: March 24, 2020, 06:41:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In my experience, 8.5 is the max I would want to run 44s on. Depends on how full the shape is too. You can push your wheels out a little bit too by adding an extra washer on the axel before you put your wheel on, if you're like me and like to see a bit of wheel poking out.
Couldn't agree more, maybe you can stretch it until 8
.626, I wouldn't go further but sure there are guys who like them on 9" boards.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2020 on: March 24, 2020, 06:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rode an 8.75 on 44’s with 60mm wheels last year and I think that was the limit of what those trucks could handle, for me. On 8.8+ I have to move up to 55’s

I rock 44s on my shaped 9.125 - but the 60mm slime balls stick out past the axle, so it comes about flush around the taper.

Juanjo789

« Reply #2021 on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I rock 44s on my shaped 9.125 - but the 60mm slime balls stick out past the axle, so it comes about flush around the taper.
[close]
How wide is the deck at the bolts, the one n the picture I posted measured 9in bolts and got wider by the middle

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2022 on: March 24, 2020, 07:14:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
How wide is the deck at the bolts, the one n the picture I posted measured 9in bolts and got wider by the middle
About 8.6 - 8.75 - here's a pic

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2023 on: March 24, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Dang, they actually look awesome on there.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2024 on: March 24, 2020, 08:33:07 AM »

I've used them on an 8.75" popsicle with extra washers. it worked but wasn't ideal. Currently using them on an AH Brown Bomber which is 8 7/8" but it tapers enough by the trucks so they fit great.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2025 on: March 24, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I mean I used them in a 9.25 baker board but at the time i had 58mm conical full which were worn down to 54mm but were really wide, how does it affect on stuff like grinds if the truck is considerably smaller than the board?
My only experience was indy 139’s on a 8.25” bloard but it just didn’t felt right, like crook pinch was weird and it was hard to get decent nollie out of it and for some reason I landed shitload of primos on that setup. When I switched to 149’s it was all good again.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

toyo980

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2026 on: March 26, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »
I´ve been curious for a while now and I wanna know, does anybody know how the guys sponsored by ace ride their ace trucks?
(Ronnie, Oski, Eli P, Jacopo,etc.)

Juanjo789

« Reply #2027 on: March 26, 2020, 09:26:18 AM »
I skated an 8.5 with 14.75 wheelbase and loved the pop feel with aces, its hard to find that wheelbase where im from (chile), will 14.5 feel too different?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2028 on: March 26, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »
I skated an 8.5 with 14.75 wheelbase and loved the pop feel with aces, its hard to find that wheelbase where im from (chile), will 14.5 feel too different?
Everybody is different but sure 1/4" is a noticeable difference.
14.5 with Indy's should be mor or less the same
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Juanjo789

« Reply #2029 on: March 26, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
is there anything I can do without changing the trucks? I loved the pop feel and the board was pretty mellow, would a steep 14.5 deck make the pop feel similar or im just mad

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2030 on: March 26, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
is there anything I can do without changing the trucks? I loved the pop feel and the board was pretty mellow, would a steep 14.5 deck make the pop feel similar or im just mad
Maybe redrill mounting holes?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2031 on: March 26, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I was eyeing that deck a long time ago, can you show a top pic?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2032 on: March 26, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »
Click the right arrow

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2033 on: March 26, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Any advice/tips on putting kreper pins in? I have had some for ages but scared to fuck with my favourite truck. Do the kingpins come out easily?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2034 on: March 26, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

beautiful set up. How did you find mag plates
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2035 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Recently went from a 14.75" WB to a 14.5" WB with Aces and it feels fine. Both boards are very flat/mellow. Took me a session to get used to it but it's been great since. TBH I don't think I'd go back.

Juanjo789

« Reply #2036 on: March 26, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Recently went from a 14.75" WB to a 14.5" WB with Aces and it feels fine. Both boards are very flat/mellow. Took me a session to get used to it but it's been great since. TBH I don't think I'd go back.
how much did the pop feel change

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2037 on: March 27, 2020, 08:03:12 AM »
Any advice/tips on putting kreper pins in? I have had some for ages but scared to fuck with my favourite truck. Do the kingpins come out easily?
I find a really good flat parking block and line the hole in the block with the kingpin and hammer it out. Magnesium is brittle and will crack more easily, so it would help to use a rubber riser pad to disperse some impact from the hammer. They did come out easily. As for how I got the mag plates - they're old - they were in stock at socal and just kept them for a while. I have another set as backup with the kingpins still in I bought from a Pal here - cheers!

Diocletian

« Reply #2038 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
My basement concrete floor was laid in two panels and it’s like the equivalent of the gap inbetween sidewalk squares. Any truck that is cast just takes a good 4-5 whacks even less if you’re accurate on center and it comes out super easy. Just line it up over the crack and it’s enough space to allow the kingpin splines to break free from the baseplate.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2039 on: March 29, 2020, 09:12:15 AM »
Back on Ace, feels sooooo good. Specially after changing the top bushing for some Thunder 95
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.