Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747300 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2130 on: April 29, 2020, 06:15:27 AM »
Thought's on 55's on 8.38? Too much over hang? Anyone running this that can post a pic?

Shortage of raw 44's has my tempted to buy 55's and force them to work. I am used to 8.5 in truck on 8.25 decks.

Just set up blue 44's (not big on color'd trucks) on 8.25 not quite as wide as I'm used to with my 5.8 Ventures, which may be contributing to some of my dislike and also why I keep trying to make ACE work. Also not really wanting to go up to 8.5 or larger cause I still want to flip my board.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2131 on: April 29, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »
Thought's on 55's on 8.38? Too much over hang? Anyone running this that can post a pic?

Shortage of raw 44's has my tempted to buy 55's and force them to work. I am used to 8.5 in truck on 8.25 decks.

Just set up blue 44's (not big on color'd trucks) on 8.25 not quite as wide as I'm used to with my 5.8 Ventures, which may be contributing to some of my dislike and also why I keep trying to make ACE work. Also not really wanting to go up to 8.5 or larger cause I still want to flip my board.
Sounds like a lot, I wouldn't do it. Is my theory that you can go 1/4 of an inch up or down, no more than that.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2132 on: April 29, 2020, 06:32:46 AM »

Trucks .62” wider than the board seem like too much. Obviously you can do math, most likely better than I, for comparison that would be similar to a 7.88” deck with 149s.
I’ve done 159s on 8.25 and liked it. 159s on 8.38 is cool.
I guess if you really wanted to justify trying it, ACE has really long axles, so you could use thin wheels, and place them right against the hanger.
I’ve got some lightly used 44s, raw, that I could be down to trade for 5.6s, 6.1s, 161s.

I skated my my setup with the 44s yesterday. I am able to flip my board much better with ace and taller wheels.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2133 on: April 29, 2020, 06:53:15 AM »

I tried 55s on an 8.5 to see how it looked and it was just too much, so I am thinking it'll be a no go. That being said, the stock washers on Ace are nice and thick, so if you put them both on the inside of some 44s it pushes the wheels out to be where they would on a 149/5.8.

As far as the color, are the anodized or enamel? I'm pretty sure you could get them to raw (if the latter) with some kind of pain stripper.

EDIT: If you hate them again LMK and I'll trade you for a set of Venture 5.8s

Unrelated: put my 44s on an 8.25 DOA flat and ended up having my best session since quarantine started. In the past I have been running them stock tightness, but this time I turned them a little less than 1/2 of a rotation and they feel perfect for me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:05:34 AM by FrozenIndustries »

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
« Reply #2134 on: April 29, 2020, 09:10:13 PM »
Speaking of Ace and bushings, I just tried this but on Ace 33s:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How are medium bones bushings on v3 aces
[close]
I use one on top only.
[close]

...and it's not bad. I mean fuck, I just did it today for one flatground session.

Long-winded post

Just to follow up, I recently put the original Ace bushings back in the 33s and it feels better than the other combos I tried. Ain't broke don't fix it I guess.

I'm thinking of buying the Grind King/Kreper kingpin and trying it out, a la Grosso.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2135 on: May 05, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
Pontus running some Aces in the Polar IG.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2136 on: May 05, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »
Pontus running some Aces in the Polar IG.

Those looking like 55s with some risers?
The turn on ACE is so stupidly fun.
They also look great/my fave truck, aesthetically.
I need a minimum of 3 speed rings cuz threads. I miss a lot of flip tricks. 
Segue into me having an even harder time with flips on ACE

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2137 on: May 05, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
Yeah, looks like 55s with 1/8". Puts them at about Indy height, which is what Pontus was running before. Also offers another glimpse of the new Last Resort AB shoes.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2138 on: May 08, 2020, 09:02:31 AM »
Bought to cross post this nonsense:

I am starting to believe, again, that certain trucks work better with certain deck brands.
I haven’t established my ideal anything.
Does anyone have a fave deck for ACE 44s?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2139 on: May 08, 2020, 09:09:09 AM »

I am starting to believe, again, that certain trucks work better with certain deck brands.

For me, anything with steep kicks and no fingers of flat goes great with 44’s. I especially like South centrals standard mold (DOA, Politic), Pennswood deep concave (don’t know anyone currently using that. Scumco used to), and steeper BBS/generator decks (had an Antihero, Krooked and a Real that I particularly liked).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2140 on: May 08, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For me, anything with steep kicks and no fingers of flat goes great with 44’s. I especially like South centrals standard mold (DOA, Politic), Pennswood deep concave (don’t know anyone currently using that. Scumco used to), and steeper BBS/generator decks (had an Antihero, Krooked and a Real that I particularly liked).

Thanks! A lot of those brands I’ve been dodging, as the wb is bigger, ace does shorten the wheel to wheel wb so blah blah blah, maybe that’d work.
I’ve always dodged Northern Co for this reason.
Thanks again for recommendation
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:56:06 AM by Ok »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2141 on: May 08, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks! A lot of those brands I’ve been dodging, as the wb is bigger,  it ace shorten the wheel to to wheel wb so blah blah blah.

No problem at all! The Pennswood deep concaves generally have a smaller wheelbase than the other ones but those are harder to find now. You might be able to message him on Instagram to see if anyone carries those currently. The wb on those is usually 14-14.25.

I really need to try a Northern co one of these days. I love the graphic/veneer combos they make. Beautiful

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2142 on: May 08, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks! A lot of those brands I’ve been dodging, as the wb is bigger,  it ace shorten the wheel to to wheel wb so blah blah blah.
[close]

No problem at all! The Pennswood deep concaves generally have a smaller wheelbase than the other ones but those are harder to find now. You might be able to message him on Instagram to see if anyone carries those currently. The wb on those is usually 14-14.25.

I really need to try a Northern co one of these days. I love the graphic/veneer combos they make. Beautiful

The northern co boards look excellent, slightly too mature, which won’t make sense. But they always look beautiful.
That Jameel part is really rad.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2143 on: May 08, 2020, 09:37:57 AM »
I'm the opposite, I like Ace on boards with lots of flat and mellow kicks. Favorite combo was my last setup, DOA 8.25 flat with 44s and 51mm tablets. Thats just me.

I'm not trying to be contrarian or to dismiss anyones experience or tastes, but the idea that you should use Ventures/Thunders on boards with lots of flat/mellow kicks and Aces/Indy on boards with shorter/steeper kicks assumes that a certain middle ground is always the most desirable (which I don't think is always the case). I'm 37, have never been good at skateboarding, and switch my shit up way too often BUT I do find that when I just stick with stuff and don't switch things up based on stuff like that, I skate the best/have the best time.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:42:13 AM by FrozenIndustries »

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2144 on: May 08, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
Yo Ace heads, I feel like I've been noticing a metallic clinking type of sound when I'm going over rougher ground.
I thought it was just my bolts rattling loose, but it's a fresh board and I tightened the bolts as usual.
My next thought is that I've punctured the pivot cup and the hanger pin in just rattling in the pivot cup metal on metal.

I don't like taking my trucks apart since the nuts are ground down and hard to re-thread onto the kingpin.
Is this the usual diagnosis for a blown out pivot cup? From the outside they seem ok.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2145 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:14 AM »
I'm the opposite, I like Ace on boards with lots of flat and mellow kicks. Favorite combo was my last setup, DOA 8.25 flat with 44s and 51mm tablets. Thats just me.

I'm not trying to be contrarian or to dismiss anyones experience or tastes, but the idea that you should use Ventures/Thunders on boards with lots of flat/mellow kicks and Aces/Indy on boards with shorter/steeper kicks assumes that a certain middle ground is always the most desirable (which I don't think is always the case). I'm 37, have never been good at skateboarding, and switch my shit up way too often BUT I do find that when I just stick with stuff and don't switch things up based on stuff like that, I skate the best/have the best time.

Very valid.
I need to figure out what those parts are and stick.
I like thunders pop, but can’t skate wheels greater than 52 without it driving me crazy/wheelbite.
Love the way ACE turn, haven’t ever been able to flip my board well with them.
Skated venture lo’s forever, hard to skate a regular sized wheel (I live in some crusty places, and most of my skating is solo in semi shit parking lots, small wheels are great for the park).
Trying not to skate Indy.
Blah blah.
Thanks for the advice!!

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2146 on: May 08, 2020, 10:18:49 AM »
Yo Ace heads, I feel like I've been noticing a metallic clinking type of sound when I'm going over rougher ground.
I thought it was just my bolts rattling loose, but it's a fresh board and I tightened the bolts as usual.
My next thought is that I've punctured the pivot cup and the hanger pin in just rattling in the pivot cup metal on metal.

I don't like taking my trucks apart since the nuts are ground down and hard to re-thread onto the kingpin.
Is this the usual diagnosis for a blown out pivot cup? From the outside they seem ok.

The kingpin's loose. It's been like that on my 55s for a couple years now. Kind of annoying at first but it hasn't affected the performance though.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2147 on: May 08, 2020, 10:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The northern co boards look excellent, slightly too mature, which won’t make sense. But they always look beautiful.
That Jameel part is really rad.

Hell yeah, that guy is so fun to watch

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2148 on: May 08, 2020, 01:58:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Very valid.
I like thunders pop, but can’t skate wheels greater than 52 without it driving me crazy/wheelbite.
Skated venture lo’s forever, hard to skate a regular sized wheel (I live in some crusty places, and most of my skating is solo in semi shit parking lots, small wheels are great for the park).
Blah blah.
Thanks for the advice!!
ace bushings in thunder trucks should work like magic
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TheAvidBleeder

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2149 on: May 08, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »

I had the same issue with some 44’s.   Wobbly kingpins.   Ace sent me so new baseplates under warranty.  They were earlier generation trucks.  No issue with the newer baseplates.   Huge fan of Ace. 

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #2150 on: May 08, 2020, 08:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Second this...mine feel best on steep generator decks. Great with Heroin 8.5 shape.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2151 on: May 08, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Second this...mine feel best on steep generator decks. Great with Heroin 8.5 shape.

Thanks!

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2152 on: May 08, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The kingpin's loose. It's been like that on my 55s for a couple years now. Kind of annoying at first but it hasn't affected the performance though.
Ah, I didn't want to say it but I had a bad feeling in my stomach it might be the kingpins.
What's the solution to this? Lock-tite? or can you just bash it back in? driving me nuts.
Also, someone else mentioned they sent their's in under warranty, sorry don't know how to double quote.
Is it worth a shot? THX!

TheAvidBleeder

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2153 on: May 08, 2020, 08:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Ah, I didn't want to say it but I had a bad feeling in my stomach it might be the kingpins.
What's the solution to this? Lock-tite? or can you just bash it back in? driving me nuts.
Also, someone else mentioned they sent their's in under warranty, sorry don't know how to double quote.
Is it worth a shot? THX!

The hole for the kingpins were bored out/stretched causing a rattle.   I was able to just send a picture of the kingpin holes stretched out in the baseplate and they sent me some new ones.  Newer baseplates have had no issues.  Kingpin issue has been resolved with newer design.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:47:51 PM by TheAvidBleeder »

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2154 on: May 09, 2020, 06:05:46 AM »
33s measure a tad under 8'. At least mine are and I think they're the V1s. This trips me out too much to put them on a 8.125 and I have to resort back to my indys.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2155 on: May 09, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »

Traffic coakley 8.4 with the prayer beads on it was definitely #1.

8.5 deluxe. In particular the green r1 oval and the 8.5 krooked team eyes.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2156 on: May 09, 2020, 07:07:42 AM »
33s measure a tad under 8'. At least mine are and I think they're the V1s. This trips me out too much to put them on a 8.125 and I have to resort back to my indys.

I remember that about my 33, v1s.
With ACE I am surprised with how much room the axles have to play with wheel position, and in turn how effective that is.
V1s sure bent more often, but goddamn 33s are easily my favorite looking truck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2157 on: May 09, 2020, 07:08:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Traffic coakley 8.4 with the prayer beads on it was definitely #1.

8.5 deluxe. In particular the green r1 oval and the 8.5 krooked team eyes.

Thank you sire
‘Preciate you

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2158 on: May 09, 2020, 07:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Very valid.
Blah blah.
Thanks for the advice!!

Ok I'm going to help you with the flip tricks. This works for the straight 8 for me.

I ride 8.25 to 8.5s but I think of my board as being only as wide as my baseplates when it comes to flipping my board. So I'm doing everything from Ollie position not on the rails of the board to maintain Ballance

Tre on flat is still kinda a pain. That's more about my current jumping ability.

But yes think skinny ass 2x4 and you will be popping huge because you got all that grip to pass over.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2159 on: May 09, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »
Anyone have tips for removing paint from hangers? Had to settle for Shelby blues the other week and of course rats restock this week.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma