Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747461 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2250 on: May 22, 2020, 08:22:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Maaaaaaaan, c’mon. Changing the height too? Fuck.  Maybe it’ll all be better. But rather just not.
I really like that I can run 56s without risers, and I can’t do that with Indy (too much bite, cuz I’m too sloppy), and that ACE are lower.
I hope some of these rumors get more hopeful. ACE to ermico or something like that.
[close]

I'll be bummed if we lose the 52mm 8.38 truck from ACE.

Same

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2251 on: May 22, 2020, 09:40:16 AM »
I think the goal is to keep them the same height. The pair pictured above were a tad higher as the baseplate was thicker but the word is the plan was to thin it out.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2252 on: May 22, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
I think the goal is to keep them the same height. The pair pictured above were a tad higher as the baseplate was thicker but the word is the plan was to thin it out.

Hell yeah, such a relief.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2253 on: May 22, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »

Hip hip hooray guys

Yeah I was hoping maybe it was in my head indys are too tall, not in my head, they are TALL

Maybe destructo hi 56mm height werent actually that bad, no, they were bad

Ace classic 52mm? Almost perfect for me, works a lot better than Indy and other 55mm tall trucks
yes

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2254 on: May 22, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »
Take it  with a grain of salt. This was based on a discussion with shop owner. He's in the know but he doesn't work for Ace.

Diocletian

« Reply #2255 on: May 22, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »
I've been able to spot on IG the new Ace's on certain "pilots" setups based on that new Ace logo on the baseplate and the hollow kingpin. Oski, Pastras, Remillard, and a few others. If that hanger is forged seems to be grinding fine

babywantsbluevelvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #2256 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
Maaaaaaaan, c’mon. Changing the height too? Fuck.  Maybe it’ll all be better. But rather just not.
I really like that I can run 56s without risers, and I can’t do that with Indy (too much bite, cuz I’m too sloppy), and that ACE are lower.
I hope some of these rumors get more hopeful. ACE to ermico or something like that.

Man, if Ace were to manufacture domestically, that'd be a crippling blow to Independent's hold over their Ace-curious customers. I would bet money Independent's demographic skews more pro-MiUSA than most (for obvious reasons, and no shade intended), so Ace could easily scoop a ton of them up. Thoughts?

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2257 on: May 22, 2020, 12:26:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man, if Ace were to manufacture domestically, that'd be a crippling blow to Independent's hold over their Ace-curious customers. I would bet money Independent's demographic skews more pro-MiUSA than most (for obvious reasons, and no shade intended), so Ace could easily scoop a ton of them up. Thoughts?
My thought is you didn’t factor in the fact that a truck produced here now will cost the consumer at least twice what they are paying now. >$100 per set for fucking sure

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2258 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
I’m really not educated, in general, or on the subject, but I’d rather buy things closer to myself. Environmental reasons, and jobs. And yes I’ll spend more, but skaters won’t. Businesses can’t do the sustainable thing.

babywantsbluevelvet

« Reply #2259 on: May 22, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My thought is you didn’t factor in the fact that a truck produced here now will cost the consumer at least twice what they are paying now. >$100 per set for fucking sure

I didn't factor in that they'd cost at least twice as much because I doubt they would. More expensive for sure, but I think a boost in sales would justify it. Granted, I'm don't work in manufacturing or sales, but I think people would be down to pay an extra $10. Venture is able to pump them out at $45 a set in San Francisco, and that's one of the costliest places to conduct business in the country. Anyhow, it's all hypothetical and probably not a big deal for a lot of us, but it just seems like it would be smart for them and potentially better for their QC.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2260 on: May 22, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I didn't factor in that they'd cost at least twice as much because I doubt they would. More expensive for sure, but I think a boost in sales would justify it. Granted, I'm don't work in manufacturing or sales, but I think people would be down to pay an extra $10. Venture is able to pump them out at $45 a set in San Francisco, and that's one of the costliest places to conduct business in the country. Anyhow, it's all hypothetical and probably not a big deal for a lot of us, but it just seems like it would be smart for them and potentially better for their QC.

Totally totally agree

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2261 on: May 22, 2020, 01:41:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Manufacturing is only half the equation in this hypothetical. High Speed owns Ermico and DLX, everything is in house. If Ace were manufactured at Ermico and added to DLX distribution you'd see prices in line with Venture/Thunder. But that's a lot of unlikely if's. Although if it did happen DLX would have the truck market absolutely cornered.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2262 on: May 22, 2020, 01:51:06 PM »
shoulda stayed quirky and added a 8.625 axle to the lineup

doesn’t really matter. I have a feeling that at some point in the future, I will probably buy whatever they come up with...
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2263 on: May 22, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
shoulda stayed quirky and added a 8.625 axle to the lineup

I'd be happy with an 8.75" axle but the 8 5/8" would be ideal. It is a possibility.

If Ace were under DLX and manufactured at Ermico that would also be dreamy. I wonder if now Indy has bailed Ermico the politics might be a little better...? Seems the Ace dudes are pretty tight with a few Dlx riders and behind the scenes dudes.

babywantsbluevelvet

« Reply #2264 on: May 22, 2020, 02:24:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Manufacturing is only half the equation in this hypothetical. High Speed owns Ermico and DLX, everything is in house. If Ace were manufactured at Ermico and added to DLX distribution you'd see prices in line with Venture/Thunder. But that's a lot of unlikely if's. Although if it did happen DLX would have the truck market absolutely cornered.

Nice, didn't think of that angle. The credibility and quality that would come with those ifs would make "fuck the rest" pretty laughable.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2265 on: May 22, 2020, 02:26:30 PM »
I’d probably only buy ace if they were made by dlx/ermico.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2266 on: May 22, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »

100%

Nom De Plume

• Rep: 1
  • Slow, Low, and Old
« Reply #2267 on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Set up new 44s today and they did the bushing mush. Landed heavy toes on a front shuv, got pitched on some nasty wheel bite, and the bushing tore. Put everything back in place and it happened again, on other bushings as well. Even when just turning. Bummer.

Got 44s on my reg board and 55s on my cruiser, both have been stellar out of the box with no problems.

Going from Thunders to Aces on this crust setup shortened my wheel base from 17 3/4 to 17 3/8 and the pop was instantly more predictable. Crazy what a difference that adjustment makes. I know they will turn great once I get this sorted. Going with the recommendations here and hope they firm up. Not really trying to frankentruck or put an after market fix on some brand new shit. Sent 'em an email to see what they say.
[close]

Please post the reply up here.

I had the same thing happen with my 66s and I just swapped for a different brand bushing.  I'm probably going to pick up some 44s when they get restocked at my local and it would be nice to know the 'official' fix.
[close]

Will do man.

What bushings you use and how was it? I got some old Bones mediums but my other Aces turn great stock so I don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. Plus I'm trying to stave off advanced stage gear madness and this is how it starts. One day you're changing bushings and next thing you know you're buying washers at the hardware store and swapping hangers around. Then you're neglecting your loved ones, lose your job, and out on the streets. It's a slippery slope.
[close]

Currently on Mini Logo medium. They are 94, and would be a bit hard on 44s - but the extra leverage of the 66s makes  them doable. I was craving a bit softer today.  I have probably 8 other sets of bushings I could try in them, but am trying to avoid the madness and just skate them.
Ace got back to me about the bushing bulge. Sounds like they haven’t been contacted about it much. The guy seemed surprised by the pic and just told me to flip the bottom bushing then give it some time. Sure enough, as stated by folks in this thread, it stopped happening after 30 minutes of skating. Put in another 30 to be sure and so far, so good. Also, the stock bushings feel much better than the Bones mediums I tried.

I wouldn’t let this post or others discourage you from trying Ace if you’re curious. My others pairs have been hassle free and they are the only trucks I want to skate at this point.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2268 on: May 22, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice, didn't think of that angle. The credibility and quality that would come with those ifs would make "fuck the rest" pretty laughable.

Indy was Ermico until a few years ago, correct? Their prices were in line with everyone else. They recently switched to China manufacturing, most likely cutting costs in half and the price is higher than venture/thunder.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2269 on: May 22, 2020, 05:05:58 PM »

I'd rather see them under Dwindle; the fit and finish on Tensor ATGs is fucking top notch, lightyears beyond anything out of Ermico (Ventures being the top dog as far as quality out the door goes). Hell even the new indys look better finish-wise coming out of China.

Not that finish on baseplates means fuck all but just look at Thunder Cast plates vs. virtually anything else on the market).

I'll be pretty bummed if they fuck with the 52mm height....if it goes 55mm fuck it, I'm sticking with ATGs, they're more ATV (hence the ATG) in my book.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2270 on: May 22, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »

Indy was Ermico until a few years ago, correct? Their prices were in line with everyone else. They recently switched to China manufacturing, most likely cutting costs in half and the price is higher than venture/thunder.

Yup, early 2018 was the first time I had the "Made in China" tag on my 149's. I'm in Canada and the price for trucks here is high regardless so I didn't notice any price increase. After they left Ermico is when DLX started poaching riders real quick.

Expand Quote
[close]

I'd rather see them under Dwindle; the fit and finish on Tensor ATGs is fucking top notch, lightyears beyond anything out of Ermico (Ventures being the top dog as far as quality out the door goes). Hell even the new indys look better finish-wise coming out of China.

Not that finish on baseplates means fuck all but just look at Thunder Cast plates vs. virtually anything else on the market).

I'll be pretty bummed if they fuck with the 52mm height....if it goes 55mm fuck it, I'm sticking with ATGs, they're more ATV (hence the ATG) in my book.

If only Film had a proper distribution setup over here, they check a lot of boxes.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2271 on: May 22, 2020, 10:42:52 PM »

This.
Aces 44s are successful because they sit in a sweet spot between Indys and Thunders. If Ace no longer wants to hold this niche, I really don't understand the purpose of this brand.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2272 on: May 23, 2020, 12:52:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.
Aces 44s are successful because they sit in a sweet spot between Indys and Thunders. If Ace no longer wants to hold this niche, I really don't understand the purpose of this brand.

Well, they'll still turn better than both brands you listed but I still agree.

There's always Theeve. Same height as ACE (no matter what they claim, they're 52, not 55) and damn near as good in bowls just not as carvey (but quicker than Indy, and more stable than ACE).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:44:42 PM by Xen »

Maxi205

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2273 on: May 27, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
Hey what are your favorite 8.38 shapes to pair with ace 44.
Right now I'm riding a primitve 31,915x 14,2, kinda like the combination. But for my next board I wanna try a new shape, since i haven't found my perfect combination yet.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2274 on: May 27, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »
Right now I'm riding a primitve 31,915x 14,2, kinda like the combination. But for my next board I wanna try a new shape, since i haven't found my perfect combination yet.

I ride 44s on my main setups and my personal favorites are the DLX 8.25x32 and 8.4x32 shapes.  I like steep concave with Aces so I try to find a "I", but if there isn't one, I'll get a "II".  Pretty sure both have a 14.38 wb.  Biggest difference, apart from 1/8" width, is the shape of the nose on the 8.25; it's taper is a little less rounded and more trapezoidal, and it comes to a sort of rounded shovel shape, which I really like for some reason.  The 8.4 has a pretty standard nose, not too square or too pointy.   I think the tail on both is pretty much the same. Wheelbase might be a touch long for some, but Aces shrink it enough that flip tricks don't feel sluggish or too effortful.  I've skated two of the 8.25 over the last few months and I'm on an 8.4 right now, and it's felt pretty much like riding the same board the entire time, in spite of the differences.  Doubt I'm over the madness, but it would take something pretty enticing to get me to mess with that combo for a bit.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2275 on: May 27, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ride 44s on my main setups and my personal favorites are the DLX 8.25x32 and 8.4x32 shapes.  I like steep concave with Aces so I try to find a "I", but if there isn't one, I'll get a "II".  Pretty sure both have a 14.38 wb.  Biggest difference, apart from 1/8" width, is the shape of the nose on the 8.25; it's taper is a little less rounded and more trapezoidal, and it comes to a sort of rounded shovel shape, which I really like for some reason.  The 8.4 has a pretty standard nose, not too square or too pointy.   I think the tail on both is pretty much the same. Wheelbase might be a touch long for some, but Aces shrink it enough that flip tricks don't feel sluggish or too effortful.  I've skated two of the 8.25 over the last few months and I'm on an 8.4 right now, and it's felt pretty much like riding the same board the entire time, in spite of the differences.  Doubt I'm over the madness, but it would take something pretty enticing to get me to mess with that combo for a bit.

I have both of these shapes sitting at home ready to be set up again. Loved them while I skated them but went back to 10+ boards for a while. Think I’m going to set up the 8.25 x 32 with 44s and maybe 56’s. What size wheels are you normally on?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2276 on: May 27, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »
Where are these rumors about the new Ace revisions coming from?  I’d love to see a 8.65 or 8.75 axle but don’t want to get my hopes up too much

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2277 on: May 27, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have both of these shapes sitting at home ready to be set up again. Loved them while I skated them but went back to 10+ boards for a while. Think I’m going to set up the 8.25 x 32 with 44s and maybe 56’s. What size wheels are you normally on?

53 or 54mm radial slims are pretty much what I get at this point.  I know I could go bigger, theoretically, but I'm sloppy enough on those as is. That setup just feels so right, I don't want to change anything--at least not until my skating bums me out again and I am left with no choice but to blame it on the gear.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2278 on: May 27, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »
Where are these rumors about the new Ace revisions coming from?  I’d love to see a 8.65 or 8.75 axle but don’t want to get my hopes up too much

Here are some prototypes of the new Aces that were sent to some local riders. Don't get too excited, they aren't the final design, which, I'm told will likely not be out until Spring 2020.

They were pretty heavy with way thicker hangers and baseplate height. I heard the base plates are going to be thinned out (to keep current height) and come with hollow kingpins stock.

The metal is supposedly way harder. Not 'entirely forged' as people mentioned but apparently manufactured with some process that no other truck manus are currently using. So the grind will feel harder.

These were 44s and they were 8.25".  55s will be 8.5", 66s will be 8.75" and 77s will be 9.125".

I don't know how accurate all this info is but these trucks looked pretty damn sick in person.

There was also some screenshots of hollow kingpins on Joey's IG story

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2279 on: May 29, 2020, 12:42:51 PM »
Anybody skate an FA/Hockey 8.5" with either 44s or 55s and have pics? I just ordered one for the firs time and want to get an idea of how it'll look with either.