Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747538 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2340 on: June 16, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »
I'm curious to try a pair of ace 44s. My current and next 2 decks are 8.38 with 14.5 wheelbase. I thought 14.5 with Indy's was my Goldilocks zone but it feels like too much. I like it for about half the session by the end I'm exhausted and the next day I feel like I was in a fight. I'm curious about ace for the shorter wheelbase and the pop feel. My concern is with the turning. Im around 200 pounds and like my trucks stiff feeling with some turn. I usually put hard bushings in my Indy's. Am I going to hate the surfy feel of aces?

I would just take the top bushings over from the indys. Especially if the are igrp black conical bottoms.

I did a full swap to ace from well broken in igrp med orange conical. I had them on 139s for about a year np.
But in the Ace they wouldn't rebound to center if the board shot out. Was no good on the hills.

The hanger height at the yoke is different I think. I think it's even a different shape too. Oval Indy Ace round? (Maybe

Anyway I eventually was riding them with bones tops and stock barrels that was the shit. Made center no matter what. That's definitely because of the barrel.

Plz report back if you try the Indy top / ace bottom combo? I'd like to know how it works out
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #2341 on: June 16, 2020, 06:27:04 PM »
i've been going through some truck madness in the last week or so, mainly because im not skating and recovering from injury...so, if i've understood what i've read, as opposed to Thunders which stretch out wheelbase, Ace's are like Indy's and shrink wheelbase but are lower too?

so my question is, Ace trucks would help to mellow out out a steep deck?

I have a couple of NHS decks (1 VX) which i gave up on because the tails were too steep for me. I rode them with Indy's, so thinking if Ace's can mellow it out a bit, I could resurrect those decks.

Diocletian

« Reply #2342 on: June 16, 2020, 07:25:56 PM »
At 200lbs I find the Ace stock/aftermakets to work perfect this time around. In the past, they tipped over the washers and tore but not these. These were really soft at first but no problems, then they firmed up over time as they've broken in and gotten dirty. I just use the top Bones washer so I can max out the turn, and also because the stock cup washer dug into the hanger.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2343 on: June 16, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
i've been going through some truck madness in the last week or so, mainly because im not skating and recovering from injury...so, if i've understood what i've read, as opposed to Thunders which stretch out wheelbase, Ace's are like Indy's and shrink wheelbase but are lower too?

I have a couple of NHS decks (1 VX) which i gave up on because the tails were too steep for me. I rode them with Indy's, so thinking if Ace's can mellow it out a bit, I could resurrect those decks.

That’s been my experience with Aces. Mellow out steep kicks nicely as long as there aren’t many fingers of flat between the bolts and where the kick starts to angle up. On mellower kicks and/or more fingers of flat trucks that spread the wheelbase further (Venture, Thunder) feel like they add more pop for me, especially if the trucks are taller.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2344 on: June 16, 2020, 09:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That’s been my experience with Aces. Mellow out steep kicks nicely as long as there aren’t many fingers of flat between the bolts and where the kick starts to angle up. On mellower kicks and/or more fingers of flat trucks that spread the wheelbase further (Venture, Thunder) feel like they add more pop for me, especially if the trucks are taller.

I agree with this take. I just rode a steep board with some ace and it went great. Be nice to know what’s steep/no fingers of flat, and what’s mellow with flat (I like to go back n forth from venture and ace).

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2345 on: June 16, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »

After 15 years primarily on Thunders I started seriously skating these today. At first they were really loose and pinched perfectly on crooked grinds. I loved it. By the end of the day they seemed to break in/tighten up a bit. Maybe I’ll loosen them up a bit tomorrow and start messing with them to get them just right. Being able to feel the baseplate sliding on nose/tailslides is pretty weird too. It wasn’t as bad of an experience that I thought skating a new truck brand would be, but it still felt like I was skating someone else’s board all day
fuck you bama

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2346 on: June 16, 2020, 11:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I agree with this take. I just rode a steep board with some ace and it went great. Be nice to know what’s steep/no fingers of flat, and what’s mellow with flat (I like to go back n forth from venture and ace).

hmm this is good news...i could start skating Creature VX decks again in that case...especially now they are making wide decks with short WB

Juanjo789

« Reply #2347 on: June 17, 2020, 07:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Having the wheel able to move half an inch is alot! That could quickly cause a bad situation. With nothing holding the bearing and wheel in place, the loads will be all over the place, and the bearings could seize up or become loose within the wheel. Kinda like you puncture a bicycle and continue to ride, the tire would fall off the rim
[close]
I had 2 washers on the inside, took 1 out and placed kt outside so It's fixed. I really want with the tilted trucks. Here's a picture of the pivot cup from the tilted trucks.
I think this shouldnt be happening and I'm sure its the pivot cup cause i tried other bushings and they tilt also
[close]

Isn't your kingpin loose ?
no it isn't

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2348 on: June 19, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »
My beloved 44’s are bent, this wouldn’t bother me if I didn’t just get a new local park built... meaning its like skating on an ice rink. Running 55mm Conical Fulls, but the bent axles don’t let the full contact patch make contact with the ground, so my wheels are feeling super slippery. Worth just dealing with it until the wheels cone a bit, or time for a new pair? I’ve had them a while, but still plenty of life left in them.

Goldeneggs

• Rep: -53
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2349 on: June 19, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »
My beloved 44’s are bent, this wouldn’t bother me if I didn’t just get a new local park built... meaning its like skating on an ice rink. Running 55mm Conical Fulls, but the bent axles don’t let the full contact patch make contact with the ground, so my wheels are feeling super slippery. Worth just dealing with it until the wheels cone a bit, or time for a new pair? I’ve had them a while, but still plenty of life left in them.

Bend them out with a long pipe, cheater bar. Then hit that steel with a torch, then dunk it in cool water.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2350 on: June 20, 2020, 12:50:04 PM »

I would go to the tennis courts. Do a ton of figure 8s until the wheel adapts. It will only take a few minutes with f4 conical. I take flat spots out of wheels this way.

I'm trying to stock up on venture and ace shit this summer so maybe get a new set to keep on ice
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:51:44 PM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Juanjo789

« Reply #2351 on: June 20, 2020, 04:52:22 PM »

I took this screenshot from Ronnie ig story a while back. are those top bushings bones?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2352 on: June 20, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »
https://www.instagram.com Mo
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBrXb-sJYKB/?igshid=jqsv48sf50yj

8.75” doubles Ltd (what’s the wheelbase??)
Bones 56m wise cuts
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:54:38 PM by jay_nev »

Studio Ghibli

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2353 on: June 21, 2020, 12:38:46 AM »
Hi,

I just switched from independent to ace. I’m having a hard time with the bushings. I haven’t changed the factory tightness but the bushings keep jumping out of the washers, if that does make any sense. This makes the Trucks pretty much unskateable. They’re wobbling arround and lock in that crooked position.

Did anyone have the same issue?

Sampo64700

• Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2354 on: June 21, 2020, 12:48:59 AM »
Hi,

I just switched from independent to ace. I’m having a hard time with the bushings. I haven’t changed the factory tightness but the bushings keep jumping out of the washers, if that does make any sense. This makes the Trucks pretty much unskateable. They’re wobbling arround and lock in that crooked position.

Yep, same here. I was told it gets better after some break-in period. Didn't have the patience for it so I used indy bottom bushings with Ace top bushings. Worked like a charm for me.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2355 on: June 21, 2020, 05:51:06 AM »
https://www.instagram.com Mo
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBrXb-sJYKB/?igshid=jqsv48sf50yj

8.75” doubles Ltd (what’s the wheelbase??)
Bones 56m wise cuts

14.75" WB. Pretty sure it's the same shape as the Theories 8.75".

Expand Quote
Hi,

[close]
Yep, same here. I was told it gets better after some break-in period. Didn't have the patience for it so I used indy bottom bushings with Ace top bushings. Worked like a charm for me.

If you don't want to wait, rather than switching the bushings, I'd recommend just using different washers (take the ones off your Indys). They're wider and won't do that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 07:05:17 AM by FrozenIndustries »

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2356 on: June 21, 2020, 08:46:52 AM »

I took this screenshot from Ronnie ig story a while back. are those top bushings bones?

To me, they look like the Indy black hard bushings

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2357 on: June 21, 2020, 01:05:46 PM »
or they could just be dirty stock bushings lol

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #2358 on: June 21, 2020, 01:08:01 PM »
Didnt old Aces use black bushings stock?

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2359 on: June 21, 2020, 01:32:59 PM »

How old? I bought my first pair in 2012 and they had white bushings that were amazing, but got shredded to pieces fairly quickly.

While on the bushings, I got some new Aces for my cruiser and followed the advice on here that I should keep the stock bushings and break em in. How long did that take for you? I'm starting to lose patience and am really close to switching em up to Bones...

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #2360 on: June 21, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How old? I bought my first pair in 2012 and they had white bushings that were amazing, but got shredded to pieces fairly quickly.
I think it was the stage before this current one actually.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2361 on: June 22, 2020, 04:15:34 AM »

Yeah both of my sets of Ace bushings look pretty much like that.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2362 on: June 22, 2020, 04:37:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While on the bushings, I got some new Aces for my cruiser and followed the advice on here that I should keep the stock bushings and break em in. How long did that take for you? I'm starting to lose patience and am really close to switching em up to Bones...

Mine took about 5 hours of skating to be broken in while purposefully carving more than usual. It's worth the wait i've never had a set break or crack on me like I have with thunder/indy/bones

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2363 on: June 22, 2020, 05:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mine took about 5 hours of skating to be broken in while purposefully carving more than usual. It's worth the wait i've never had a set break or crack on me like I have with thunder/indy/bones

Okay cool, thank you. I guess I've just gotten spoiled by Bones and being used to the turn on my 44's where you can carve by just tilting your foot a little while pushing. I almost fell off my board multiple times yesterday by just pushing on these new ones.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2364 on: June 22, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay cool, thank you. I guess I've just gotten spoiled by Bones and being used to the turn on my 44's where you can carve by just tilting your foot a little while pushing. I almost fell off my board multiple times yesterday by just pushing on these new ones.
My Ace were Nyjah-tight for a week when I got them. Couldn't understand the hype, then they broke in.
All stock everything, replaced Pivot cups with new Ace ones after a few months for like 4 bucks.
After putting in new cups, I counted how many turns till I got back to the my original loose-ness and it was just about 4.5-5 turns from when the nut locks onto the kingpin, so a little lower than flush.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #2365 on: June 29, 2020, 07:50:39 PM »
i feel like im not locking in tail and noseslides on aces like i do with indys. anyone feel that or am i just blowing it?

55s with 1/8" riser- dont think the riser has any affect but what do i know?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2366 on: June 29, 2020, 10:37:37 PM »
After a couple weeks skating them I’ll say they’re pretty great. They’re pretty loose after bathe couple days of them feeling super tight. I used to take my bottom washers out of trucks to get crooked grinds to pinch right, but I didn’t need to with these. Tre flips are a little wonky and I’ve had to learn a new technique to pop them. I’ll probably try another set after these are done
fuck you bama

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2367 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »
After a couple weeks skating them I’ll say they’re pretty great. They’re pretty loose after bathe couple days of them feeling super tight. I used to take my bottom washers out of trucks to get crooked grinds to pinch right, but I didn’t need to with these. Tre flips are a little wonky and I’ve had to learn a new technique to pop them. I’ll probably try another set after these are done

Thanks for the write up, was wondering how these were working. I’m back on lows. Just need to find some softer and/or wider wheels. So weird that there was a time where 53/54 wheels and lows were not uncommon. People’s trucks musta been really tight.
How’s the wheelbite?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2368 on: June 29, 2020, 11:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the write up, was wondering how these were working. I’m back on lows. Just need to find some softer and/or wider wheels. So weird that there was a time where 53/54 wheels and lows were not uncommon. People’s trucks musta been really tight.
How’s the wheelbite?
It’s not so bad that I notice it affecting my skating. You can see the wheelbite in these couple pictures of my back truck

The two things that I did notice: the aluminum seems like a softer alloy than all of the Thunders I’ve skated for what seems like forever. They didn’t want to grind at first, but now they seem to be wearing in fairly quick. The second thing I noticed is how loud the pivot cup squeaks are. That’s not something I’ve ever noticed or given much thought to before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fuck you bama

IpathCats

« Reply #2369 on: June 30, 2020, 06:05:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah both of my sets of Ace bushings look pretty much like that.

Probably just dirty. He likes his trucks stupid loose.