Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747320 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3060 on: March 15, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm hoping for a size that matches Indy 215s.
[close]

Strong rumor says it is definitely definitely coming in this revamp.

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #3061 on: March 15, 2021, 11:08:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's this I'm hearing about re-threading axle nuts?
[close]

I was thinking "What are you on about?!?" but then saw the new Thrasher ad for them, so here is a pic.

[close]

Dang, that marketing hooked me hard
[close]

I have also been marketed to.

Think I'll give these new ones a go now when they come out.

All I skate is polar and everyone tells me that polar + ace is the blessed combo.

Only thing holding me back is the talk on here of them slipping out of crooks.....which is probably not as bad as people say?
[close]

It isn't. I said that at one point, but back on Aces after a month on Ventures and they crook just fine. I made a post a page or so back publicly apologizing for spreading that kind of misinformation.

Expand Quote
Honestly, I mostly care about the new sizing.
[close]

Finally getting an 8.75" Ace is going to be wild.

Cool man good stuff

One more question on ace's if anyone can help.

I never liked the height of Indy's. Feels way too unstable to me. That's why I've always skated venture and thunder.

Where does Ace fall for height between all these ? One thing I love about Venture let's say is how low and stable I feel.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3062 on: March 15, 2021, 12:04:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking "What are you on about?!?" but then saw the new Thrasher ad for them, so here is a pic.

[close]

[close]

All I skate is polar and everyone tells me that polar + ace is the blessed combo.

Only thing holding me back is the talk on here of them slipping out of crooks.....which is probably not as bad as people say?
[close]

It isn't. I said that at one point, but back on Aces after a month on Ventures and they crook just fine. I made a post a page or so back publicly apologizing for spreading that kind of misinformation.

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cool man good stuff

I never liked the height of Indy's. Feels way too unstable to me. That's why I've always skated venture and thunder.

Where does Ace fall for height between all these ? One thing I love about Venture let's say is how low and stable I feel.

52mm.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #3063 on: March 15, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cool man good stuff

[close]

52mm.

FWIW slappy crooks are a favorite of mine and although I think thunder give a better pinch, I can sit on a crook on aces fine with no slipping out.

They pinch like this

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3064 on: March 15, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
I'm kinda underwhelmed by no hollow kingpin or forged baseplate but at the same time happy that they addressed the pivot cup issue. I cant wait to skate a 8.5 deck and be able to see my wheels again lol.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3065 on: March 15, 2021, 02:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cool man good stuff

[close]

52mm.

I was under the impression that they were 53mm?

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3066 on: March 15, 2021, 03:42:13 PM »
I'm kinda underwhelmed by no hollow kingpin or forged baseplate but at the same time happy that they addressed the pivot cup issue. I cant wait to skate a 8.5 deck and be able to see my wheels again lol.
did they, though? it's the same geometry. all the ad says is they replaced the pivot cup. people have had riptides blow out with aces

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3067 on: March 15, 2021, 05:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cool man good stuff

They are 52mm, so kinda like Thunder height, but if you thought Indys were "unstable" I wouldn't recommend Ace that much. I love mine, but they turn like crazy, so if you like Venture's turn and dislike Indy's, you probably won't like Ace. Just my opinion, you could like them too, who knows?  ;)

*Madness intensifies*

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3068 on: March 15, 2021, 05:18:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cool man good stuff

[close]

52mm.
[close]

You had me doubting for a second, Ace website says 52mm, but Tactics says 53. Whatever, they're lower than Indys, that's about as much as I know.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3069 on: March 15, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »
All I’m seeing is vague marketing with that ad specifically. I’d like to see the technical info on the “hi grade” aluminum and “stronger” axles. So no forged? No one asked for laser engraved axles and rethreading axle nuts. 96a urethane pivot cups eliminates the need for riptides, potentially. Not really sold on this new version of Ace that has been hyped as nearly indestructible, not getting any convincing info so far.

Seriously....re-threading axle nuts? Laser engraving will help me skate better? Better 'washers'? WASHERS...what was wrong with the previous ones? Better Bushings? As a fan of the current rev of stock bushings, I'll be impressed if the new ones are better. 'Proprietary Manufacturing Process' and pointing to the baseplate? Maybe these are still their 'forged' plates?

All anyone wanted was a lighter/stronger ACE. Easily accomplished with Forged plates, hollow pins/axles and better materials/QC. Instead, this ad gives us nothing we actually want except stronger axles = hopefully leading to less bending issues.

If this is 'it' they're off the shortlist and it's back the TiMindy train instead.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3070 on: March 15, 2021, 05:55:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cool man good stuff

[close]

52mm.
[close]

[close]

You had me doubting for a second, Ace website says 52mm, but Tactics says 53. Whatever, they're lower than Indys, that's about as much as I know.

No, you're correct. They're 52mm.

"Ace 44 our Classic 2.125" (52mm) tall truck. This is the size that is just now becoming a standard offering by others."  <---Nice Jab at Indy

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3071 on: March 15, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »
I am now wondering if the new 44 is the exact same old 44 mold, but with shorter 8.25" axles instead of the 8.38" ones that needed extra washers.

And is the current 55 an 8.75" truck if it didn't have extra long axles?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3072 on: March 15, 2021, 06:29:49 PM »

No its closer to a 169.

Some Debbie downers on here. Harder metal, better sizes. They've got my money, especially if they are like the prototypes I've felt up.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3073 on: March 15, 2021, 07:37:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No its closer to a 169.

Some Debbie downers on here. Harder metal, better sizes. They've got my money, especially if they are like the prototypes I've felt up.

Definitely not trying to be a downer, but also tempering expectations. I dig everything about Aces except the weight, which is completely subjective on my end. I guess when pics started showing up with hollowed out steel and talk of forged plates I got my hopes up.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3074 on: March 15, 2021, 07:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
All I’m seeing is vague marketing with that ad specifically. I’d like to see the technical info on the “hi grade” aluminum and “stronger” axles. So no forged? No one asked for laser engraved axles and rethreading axle nuts. 96a urethane pivot cups eliminates the need for riptides, potentially. Not really sold on this new version of Ace that has been hyped as nearly indestructible, not getting any convincing info so far.
[close]

Seriously....re-threading axle nuts? Laser engraving will help me skate better? Better 'washers'? WASHERS...what was wrong with the previous ones? Better Bushings? As a fan of the current rev of stock bushings, I'll be impressed if the new ones are better. 'Proprietary Manufacturing Process' and pointing to the baseplate? Maybe these are still their 'forged' plates?

All anyone wanted was a lighter/stronger ACE. Easily accomplished with Forged plates, hollow pins/axles and better materials/QC. Instead, this ad gives us nothing we actually want except stronger axles = hopefully leading to less bending issues.

If this is 'it' they're off the shortlist and it's back the TiMindy train instead.

I think they're neat. A hollow version would be cool but could still be on the way Ace is still a smaller company by comparison I would think

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3075 on: March 15, 2021, 08:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

No its closer to a 169.

[close]

Definitely not trying to be a downer, but also tempering expectations. I dig everything about Aces except the weight, which is completely subjective on my end. I guess when pics started showing up with hollowed out steel and talk of forged plates I got my hopes up.

Yup, hopes up (my fault) and then dashed.

"the most technological truck ever made" = weak claim when even the shit truck companies have them beat on technical innovations from the past 10 years...hollow, forged, Ti, etc.

Just not sure what the obsession is with trying to re-invent the whee...er axle nuts...first the .38 specials now these...who asked for either?

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3076 on: March 15, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
I only want the new ones for the regular sizes.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3077 on: March 16, 2021, 05:20:03 AM »

Just not sure what the obsession is with trying to re-invent the whee...er axle nuts...first the .38 specials now these...who asked for either?

Yep, re-threading axle nut sounds like they're gonna be falling off constantly like those 38 specials did.

imuseless

« Reply #3078 on: March 16, 2021, 05:24:43 AM »
Also the most technical truck ever made sounds terrible. I want my trucks to turn, grind and keep the wheels on their place, what else would anyone need?

IpathCats

« Reply #3079 on: March 16, 2021, 05:25:50 AM »
Sort of odd they didn't just go full forged/hollow/whatever the usual route is. Ace geometry fills a needed gap in the truck market, it's a shame they don't have comparable materials/tech as the other brands. They have a big enough following now to justify whatever the cost would be to do so.

Diocletian

« Reply #3080 on: March 16, 2021, 07:24:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

No its closer to a 169.

[close]

[close]

"the most technological truck ever made" = weak claim when even the shit truck companies have them beat on technical innovations from the past 10 years...hollow, forged, Ti, etc.

Yeah, it's not necessarily about being a downer. For those of us who have been riding Ace's close to the start know they've had quite the long run of faults probably more than any other truck out there with the quality control issues. Each new "stage" of Ace that has come out has been...sort of...an improvement but things like axle nut variations and laser engraved axles are just completely unnecessary and not what is important when it comes to improving a truck.

Indy's don't suck, they turn well and have forged/hollow/Ti variations that handle getting beat to shit. Ace's turn better, and it's addicting, but if they break and bend enough times people will naturally want the company to improve their product. Joey T. and Shrewgy just keep semi-blowing it and offer changes that no one asked for. They seem to take half steps, like this time around offering new sizes which is something people did ask for, but if the strength isn't actually improved, there's not much to get excited about. An ad is an ad, it's marketing and means nothing. They claimed in their last revamp strength was improved, and they still broke and bent.

Again, it's not about being negative or a downer, it's just healthy criticism for a company we want to succeed. I still love their trucks, and I wanna see more people with those sexy Ace hangers under their feet. I'd much rather give money to those two dudes than NHS. The remaining Vitello's and Novak have enough money.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3081 on: March 16, 2021, 08:10:52 AM »
I love my aces and idk if I can go back to another truck. But damn I like the 8.38 sized 44s. So I hope they keep that 8.38 size in the rotation cause I’d like to try the new ones in that size

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3082 on: March 16, 2021, 08:40:45 AM »
I don't know if any of you know anything about Paris and longboard trucks. I don't and don't care to look into it. However, apparently Joey Pulsifer who owns Paris Trucks has teamed up with Ace to improve QC.  I heard that was a very good thing but again I was already sold at new sizes and harder metal hangers.

imuseless

« Reply #3083 on: March 16, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »
I love my aces and idk if I can go back to another truck. But damn I like the 8.38 sized 44s. So I hope they keep that 8.38 size in the rotation cause I’d like to try the new ones in that size

Same same

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3084 on: March 16, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

No its closer to a 169.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, it's not necessarily about being a downer. For those of us who have been riding Ace's close to the start know they've had quite the long run of faults probably more than any other truck out there with the quality control issues. Each new "stage" of Ace that has come out has been...sort of...an improvement but things like axle nut variations and laser engraved axles are just completely unnecessary and not what is important when it comes to improving a truck.

Indy's don't suck, they turn well and have forged/hollow/Ti variations that handle getting beat to shit. Ace's turn better, and it's addicting, but if they break and bend enough times people will naturally want the company to improve their product. Joey T. and Shrewgy just keep semi-blowing it and offer changes that no one asked for. They seem to take half steps, like this time around offering new sizes which is something people did ask for, but if the strength isn't actually improved, there's not much to get excited about. An ad is an ad, it's marketing and means nothing. They claimed in their last revamp strength was improved, and they still broke and bent.

Again, it's not about being negative or a downer, it's just healthy criticism for a company we want to succeed. I still love their trucks, and I wanna see more people with those sexy Ace hangers under their feet. I'd much rather give money to those two dudes than NHS. The remaining Vitello's and Novak have enough money.

Someone needs to make sure Joey sees this.
ok thanks

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #3085 on: March 16, 2021, 11:56:02 AM »
I heard the new kingpins are filled with Joey T's pillow Crystals and patchouli.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3086 on: March 16, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same same

At least as of this release (November 2020), they're planning on keeping the current iteration in production as "Ace Classics". One would assume they're going to keep the current sizing for those.

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/2020/11/05/ace-trucks-urgent-call-to-all-ace-pilots/

I'm excited for the new sizing. An 8.5" or an 8.75" Ace could be the goldilocks spot for me, but If I'm not into the feel of the new trucks I'll be glad to keep some 44s and 55s in rotation.

Personally, I don't care about truck weight but I get that other people do. I also don't like forged plates so that would have bummed me out, though hollow axles would have been cool.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #3087 on: March 16, 2021, 12:55:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

No its closer to a 169.

[close]

[close]

[close]

What Novak is this ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3088 on: March 16, 2021, 01:38:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

No its closer to a 169.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What Novak is this ?
The N in NHS.
THAT Novak.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #3089 on: March 16, 2021, 03:23:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

No its closer to a 169.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Someone needs to make sure Joey sees this.

Agreed

Do Ace really need to be bringing out a new truck?! They work fine as they are except the stock top washer being too small! And the stock bushings are whats been so good about them. All they needed to offer was a 149 equivalent.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 03:30:21 PM by Bigwheelbite »