Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747303 times)

mbam003

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3720 on: April 18, 2021, 10:27:17 AM »
Ace classics are so nice that they almost feel magical. I'll be really mad if they screw with the geometry or discontinue the line in favor of AF1s. The only thing that can be improved is the metal and the finish.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3721 on: April 18, 2021, 11:35:27 AM »
I see the softer, fast-grinding aluminum of the Ace to be a feature, not a defect, and I suspect a lot of slappy-happy Ace skaters do too. It's good to see that they're keeping the Classic around, and I hope that they fix the kingpin issues, because I think of the Ace 44 as more or less the perfect truck, even if I am riding Indys at the moment.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3722 on: April 18, 2021, 11:45:00 AM »
I see the softer, fast-grinding aluminum of the Ace to be a feature, not a defect, and I suspect a lot of slappy-happy Ace skaters do too. It's good to see that they're keeping the Classic around, and I hope that they fix the kingpin issues, because I think of the Ace 44 as more or less the perfect truck, even if I am riding Indys at the moment.

I dunno. I am often struck at how much better Thunder/ Indy metal feels to grind on curbs than Ace classics.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3723 on: April 18, 2021, 12:19:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I dunno. I am often struck at how much better Thunder/ Indy metal feels to grind on curbs than Ace classics.

Interesting. I suppose there are likely multiple variables at play in how it feels and wares as you skate it, and personal preference.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3724 on: April 18, 2021, 01:44:09 PM »
My favorite thing is the compostable dog shit bag they come in.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #3725 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Apologies if this has been covered this thread is huge

So the lows, and the classics are staying the same size?
[close]

The comments from Ace on their insta say the Classics are staying the same. Can't remember seeing any word on the lows, but I'd guess the same.

Thanks mate..

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3726 on: April 18, 2021, 06:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just mounted a new set of 44 classics and a new set of 55 AF1s to the same board:

Ace Classics:
17.09375 (3/32) (axle to axle)
+ 17.21875 (7/32) (axle to axle)
\ 2 (to average results)
= 17.15625 (5/32)
-14.375 (wheelbase of board)
=2.78125 (25/32) or 2.75” wheelbase extension.

Ace AF1:
17.40625 (13/32) (axle to axle)
+ 17.25 (8/32) (axle to axle)
/2 (to average results)
= 17.328125 (10.5/32)
-14.375” (wheelbase of board)
= 2.953125 (30.5/32) or 2.875” / 3” wheelbase extension depending on how you look at it.

Basically the new ones have a tiny bit of a wider wheelbase (1/8” - 1/4”).

Oh Also:

397g for one Ace 44 Classic with washers & 397g for one Ace 55 AF1 with washers but not the re-threader so the new guys are a teeny bit lighter.
[close]

the slap ministry of measurements is very pleased with your work.
[close]

This should be it's own thread where people post the size and weights of all things.

I'd be most interested in what wheels weigh.
[close]

If you’ve spent any time around cyclists and their forums, you’d know that weight and measurement spreadsheets are sacrosanct. The weenies here would probably appreciate something similar.

Indeed.  I haven't ridden it in awhile but my bike weighs 15 pounds without the fender and lights.

But to put us back on the topic of ace being decades behind in their most "technical" of trucks.  It just seems like with all of the 3d modelling and rapid prototyping technologies abundantly available these days it wouldn't be difficult to create a hanger mold with a scooped out properly gusseted (stronger) design (which is the modern standard) around a hollow axle (stronger) while maintaining that treasured geometry.  Throw a hollow kingpin in there and the truck conversation becomes about the big 4 not "and aces are pretty awesome too".  Trucks that cinch the wheelbase create an easy pop so weight is not an issue in that regard but just adding material with each new iteration isn't really a technical advancement.

I have much love for ace.  The V2 44s on mag plates were some all time favorites, but I'm always wary of folks who want to throw some gimmicky trinkets and hype at you in lieu of an actually better product.  That said the baseplates look great, and the new metal seems like an upgrade as well.  And they're still the prettiest!

Anyway trucks are trucks.  Stick to the big 3 and Ace and you can't go wrong.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3727 on: April 19, 2021, 11:32:27 AM »
 Set up Af1 55s today and skated for two hours, mostly flat and a curb with metal edge. At first I was frightened how quickly these turned, like much quicker and easier than my classic 44/55s., even got wheelbites at first. I always leave my trucks stock tightness. About an hour in and I felt like home, I had full control over these and felt super good. Pop was feeling nice, very surfy and easy ride, no more wheelbite and with 54mm wheels I felt safe, they grind pretty good too. Now I really want to try grind these on concrete curbs as well. So far I'm super stoked, might even like these more than the classics but definitely need to skate these more until my final verdict.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3728 on: April 19, 2021, 11:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Having the madness had me grinding everything, Tensor Mag lights > the rest, but out of the rest, I found it to be Indy>Thunder>ACE>Venture...currently on Indy and I'm having zero issues, they grind great...still behind the maglights but they still hustle. ACE classic ground well enough but it was softer, not worse or better, just different.

Ventures tho, they feel the toughest to get moving.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3729 on: April 19, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Having the madness had me grinding everything, Tensor Mag lights > the rest, but out of the rest, I found it to be Indy>Thunder>ACE>Venture...currently on Indy and I'm having zero issues, they grind great...still behind the maglights but they still hustle. ACE classic ground well enough but it was softer, not worse or better, just different.

The shape of the Venture hanger definitely feels harder on concrete when you're getting used to it.  Indy's have always felt the best to me for grinding concrete.  The shape of the hanger distributes your weight differently, more surface area...

I just set up some AF1 55's...  And, of course it's raining.  I did stand up on the board and compared them to my v2 44's.  MUCH, much looser feeling.  Can't wait to get out for a cruise and chip away at breaking them in, and curious to see the metal feel on grinds.  If the weather clears up, I should have some intel in the next few days.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3730 on: April 19, 2021, 12:15:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The shape of the Venture hanger definitely feels harder on concrete when you're getting used to it.  Indy's have always felt the best to me for grinding concrete.  The shape of the hanger distributes your weight differently, more surface area...

I just set up some AF1 55's...  And, of course it's raining.  I did stand up on the board and compared them to my v2 44's.  MUCH, much looser feeling.  Can't wait to get out for a cruise and chip away at breaking them in, and curious to see the metal feel on grinds.  If the weather clears up, I should have some intel in the next few days.

I’ve had a completely different experience. My slappies have gotten way longer since riding aces and ventures. I got way more hung up on indys

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3731 on: April 19, 2021, 12:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve had a completely different experience. My slappies have gotten way longer since riding aces and ventures. I got way more hung up on indys

Hanger shape has a lot to do with it for me. With indy I grind a lot more of the yoke than I do on any other truck.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3732 on: April 19, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »
Alright, so I was bad and decided to try out my AF1 77s today even though my 55 classics are still going strong. Got in about an hour skating some curbs and flat, and I wanted to share my initial thoughts. Obviously these are just my first impressions, but I wanted to put them out these in case anyone was curious.

I set these up on my Cardiel football (9" over the back truck, 8.75" over the front) and I was pretty surprised by how squirrely they felt out the gate. I usually skate my Ace classics stock, and while they feel a little loose within about a half hour they're perfect. The AF1s still firmed up quick, but I did end up giving each about a half turn before I went out.

Getting out and actually skating, it needs to be said that these turn like Aces and not like Indys. The axle moves inwards with the turn and I was truly impressed with how long it took these wide-ass (9.5") trucks to bite with 56mm CF spits and only 1/8" risers. The new pivot cups feel really fucking good too, super smooth and responsive. So anyone who thinks these "might as well be Indys" or whatever, relax.

The grind is super smooth and fast, and the metal feels harder and more durable than the classics for sure. Some people are going to love this, some people are going to hate it. I am really used to the softer feeling grind of the classics and TBQH I think these will take a bit of getting used to. That being said, if you ever wanted Aces to feel harder and smoother (like an Indy), you will love these. I can already tell it is going to take a lot longer to groove these up.

Pop feel was good and not too different from the classics. I felt like I might have been popping stuff a little higher than usual, but that could have also been me just having a good day. Either way, it didn't feel super heavy or anything. Overall I am pretty psyched on these. Also, the new Ace risers feel great and it rules to finally have a riser that lines up perfectly.

Posting pic of my setup below at the end of my first session, I know it looks like a crazy hotrod but from the top you really can't see the wheels. For comparison with the bite marks, I've skated this board with 159s, 55 classics, and the 77s. If you look over the back wheels you can see where they really move towards the center before they hit.

Your setup is rad. I'm trying the 77s too.. just ordered them after riding Indys since the early 2000s to try something different!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3733 on: April 19, 2021, 04:39:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Alright, so I was bad and decided to try out my AF1 77s today even though my 55 classics are still going strong. Got in about an hour skating some curbs and flat, and I wanted to share my initial thoughts. Obviously these are just my first impressions, but I wanted to put them out these in case anyone was curious.

I set these up on my Cardiel football (9" over the back truck, 8.75" over the front) and I was pretty surprised by how squirrely they felt out the gate. I usually skate my Ace classics stock, and while they feel a little loose within about a half hour they're perfect. The AF1s still firmed up quick, but I did end up giving each about a half turn before I went out.

Getting out and actually skating, it needs to be said that these turn like Aces and not like Indys. The axle moves inwards with the turn and I was truly impressed with how long it took these wide-ass (9.5") trucks to bite with 56mm CF spits and only 1/8" risers. The new pivot cups feel really fucking good too, super smooth and responsive. So anyone who thinks these "might as well be Indys" or whatever, relax.

The grind is super smooth and fast, and the metal feels harder and more durable than the classics for sure. Some people are going to love this, some people are going to hate it. I am really used to the softer feeling grind of the classics and TBQH I think these will take a bit of getting used to. That being said, if you ever wanted Aces to feel harder and smoother (like an Indy), you will love these. I can already tell it is going to take a lot longer to groove these up.

Pop feel was good and not too different from the classics. I felt like I might have been popping stuff a little higher than usual, but that could have also been me just having a good day. Either way, it didn't feel super heavy or anything. Overall I am pretty psyched on these. Also, the new Ace risers feel great and it rules to finally have a riser that lines up perfectly.

Posting pic of my setup below at the end of my first session, I know it looks like a crazy hotrod but from the top you really can't see the wheels. For comparison with the bite marks, I've skated this board with 159s, 55 classics, and the 77s. If you look over the back wheels you can see where they really move towards the center before they hit.

[close]

Your setup is rad. I'm trying the 77s too.. just ordered them after riding Indys since the early 2000s to try something different!

Thanks. Feeling guilty about not running my 55 classics but I am really enjoying these a lot. Going to see how they perform on some crustier curbs tomorrow.

The extra space feels nice though.

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #3734 on: April 19, 2021, 06:01:13 PM »

I picked up some AF1 55s and a new board over the weekend and took a comparison photo since no one's posted one yet. Board on the left is AF1 55s on an 8.25 and on the right is classic 44s on an 8.5, both have a 14.25" wheelbase. I measured the classic 44s to be 17.25" axel to axel and the AF1 55s to be 17 9/16". So the longer wheelbase is definitely confirmed.

I pushed around the block a few times so I don't have a full review but these are some of my initial thoughts. They felt looser than I expected while standing on the board stationary at stock tightness. I stood on my friends board last week who had fresh 44 classics and they felt super tight. I skate without the top washer with the bolt flush with the kingpin and I have the same little bit of wobble as I had with my classics. Standing stationary it felt like I would hit wheelbite easier than on the classics, but I didn't notice any significant difference in wheelbite while cruising.

They felt really good pushing around. The turn is definitely there. They feel like Aces for sure. One thing I noticed is that they feel like they have a flat center while going straight. With the classics, it always felt like you were carving on an edge. Like you were always leaning frontside or backside, never just straight. I think this will definitely feel better to set up for ledge or flip tricks while skating street.

The longer wheelbase was noticeable, but it didn't seem to affect the turn too much. They feel very stable and less squirly. The pop did feel a little different but I can't say yet if it's better or worse. I only ollied over a few manhole covers and up a couple curbs. I did a few kickflips too and they felt good, except for the fresh grip.

I'm excited to actually skate these. I don't think anyone should be worried not liking them. I've been skating Aces since 2013ish and don't plan on skating anything else anytime soon.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3735 on: April 19, 2021, 07:29:38 PM »
Any one notice if the new AF1s pinch better then the classics?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:14:44 AM by Murge »

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3736 on: April 19, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »
Has anyone else experience “melting” issues with the pivot cup? I saw someone post about it earlier this week. That’s honestly what intrigued me most about the new update, other than the sizing. I was hoping the cups would be similar to riptides as they are hand poured and same duro

I’m thinking about picking up a set of 55’s. Any other gripes or faults are appreciated as well

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3737 on: April 19, 2021, 08:29:18 PM »

I picked up some AF1 55s and a new board over the weekend and took a comparison photo since no one's posted one yet. Board on the left is AF1 55s on an 8.25 and on the right is classic 44s on an 8.5, both have a 14.25" wheelbase. I measured the classic 44s to be 17.25" axel to axel and the AF1 55s to be 17 9/16". So the longer wheelbase is definitely confirmed.

I pushed around the block a few times so I don't have a full review but these are some of my initial thoughts. They felt looser than I expected while standing on the board stationary at stock tightness. I stood on my friends board last week who had fresh 44 classics and they felt super tight. I skate without the top washer with the bolt flush with the kingpin and I have the same little bit of wobble as I had with my classics. Standing stationary it felt like I would hit wheelbite easier than on the classics, but I didn't notice any significant difference in wheelbite while cruising.

They felt really good pushing around. The turn is definitely there. They feel like Aces for sure. One thing I noticed is that they feel like they have a flat center while going straight. With the classics, it always felt like you were carving on an edge. Like you were always leaning frontside or backside, never just straight. I think this will definitely feel better to set up for ledge or flip tricks while skating street.

The longer wheelbase was noticeable, but it didn't seem to affect the turn too much. They feel very stable and less squirly. The pop did feel a little different but I can't say yet if it's better or worse. I only ollied over a few manhole covers and up a couple curbs. I did a few kickflips too and they felt good, except for the fresh grip.

I'm excited to actually skate these. I don't think anyone should be worried not liking them. I've been skating Aces since 2013ish and don't plan on skating anything else anytime soon.

Out here doing god's work. Shalom.
ok thanks

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3738 on: April 19, 2021, 11:28:42 PM »
I'm actually keen on the slightly longer wheelbase if the turn is the same, will stop me swerving so hard I eat shit on the Hockey 14.12 wheelbase lol.

mbam003

« Reply #3739 on: April 20, 2021, 12:35:34 AM »
Does anyone have an opinion on wheel shape vs Ace trucks? I have tried Spitfire tablets and OJ Universals. The tablets with a 20mm+ ride patch seemed way more stable and inspired more confidence at high speeds. A lot of Ace team riders especially the transition riders seem to prefer squarish wheels. The only one I can think of who is on Classics right now is Raven. Have some Classics at hand, would love to try em for smooth coping lockins and outs, but that ride patch seems really tiny. Even Cardiel is on tablets nowadays.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3740 on: April 20, 2021, 09:15:56 AM »
Does anyone have an opinion on wheel shape vs Ace trucks? I have tried Spitfire tablets and OJ Universals. The tablets with a 20mm+ ride patch seemed way more stable and inspired more confidence at high speeds. A lot of Ace team riders especially the transition riders seem to prefer squarish wheels. The only one I can think of who is on Classics right now is Raven. Have some Classics at hand, would love to try em for smooth coping lockins and outs, but that ride patch seems really tiny. Even Cardiel is on tablets nowadays.

Even though classics have a narrow riding surface at first, it gets wider as it wears down into more of a conical shape. Worn down classics feel the best IMO, it's like breaking in a glove. Just get like 2mm bigger than you usually skate and they'll be pretty sweet once those extra mm's wear down. Love it on Aces.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #3741 on: April 20, 2021, 10:16:24 AM »
I'm really interested in trying out the AF1's. Only thing is I'm sure the stock bushings will be too soft for me. In Indys I usually replace the stock bushings with the hard black Indy aftermarket bushings. Are there any harder bushings that will actually work in the Ace's without screwing up the geometry?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3742 on: April 20, 2021, 10:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even though classics have a narrow riding surface at first, it gets wider as it wears down into more of a conical shape. Worn down classics feel the best IMO, it's like breaking in a glove. Just get like 2mm bigger than you usually skate and they'll be pretty sweet once those extra mm's wear down. Love it on Aces.

This is the way.

I wanted 53mm Lock-in's, but no dice. Got me some classics in 54mm and can't wait until they are down to 52mm.
IG: @flowterspace

mbam003

« Reply #3743 on: April 20, 2021, 10:36:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll give them a go. I'll be looking at some Conicals or Radials on the side as well :)

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3744 on: April 20, 2021, 10:50:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is the way.

I wanted 53mm Lock-in's, but no dice. Got me some classics in 54mm and can't wait until they are down to 52mm.

Just remember to rotate your wheels regularly to avoid uneven wear  :)

jamersonbass

« Reply #3745 on: April 20, 2021, 11:24:21 AM »
So, I just went out for a cruise with the gf.  First session on the AF1 55's.  Honestly wasn't much of a session, but we skated about 4 miles and I wanted to give the bushings time to break in...

I can't remember who posted it, but the comment about the center, or first 1/3 of the turn feels really stable.  The second you lean into your turn, it's like a scalpel.  Such satisfying feeling.  They make my old 44's feel like a Stage 10 in comparison. The bushings feel really good out of the gate.  I wasn't getting stuck on one side, like I have sometimes with other companies stock bushings.

Least stressful new truck experience I've ever had.  Are they worth it?  I won't know until I get out with my buddy later and skate some painted curbs and flat ground.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3746 on: April 20, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »
The new turn some of you are describing sounds ideal. #jahbless

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3747 on: April 20, 2021, 12:00:27 PM »
Second session on the 77s today. Bushings and pivot cups feel even better, firmer and more responsive. For people asking about the cups, the inside lip looks about as chewed as mine always do and I just attribute it to the break-in process. Nothing rattly or wobbly or anything that would be off putting/out of the usual. And yeah, at no point have these done any sticking to either side.

Last session was on some very smooth painted and waxed parking blocks, today I went to some worn down, heavily skated curbs. They're noticeably louder than the classics at this same spot. I also did the longest slappy front crook I've ever done, which could have also been because of the extra hangar space.

Aside from the guilt I feel about not finishing off my 55 classics, I don't see a reason to go back unless these somehow unexpectedly crap out.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3748 on: April 20, 2021, 12:33:49 PM »
Second session on the 77s today. Bushings and pivot cups feel even better, firmer and more responsive. For people asking about the cups, the inside lip looks about as chewed as mine always do and I just attribute it to the break-in process. Nothing rattly or wobbly or anything that would be off putting/out of the usual. And yeah, at no point have these done any sticking to either side.

Last session was on some very smooth painted and waxed parking blocks, today I went to some worn down, heavily skated curbs. They're noticeably louder than the classics at this same spot. I also did the longest slappy front crook I've ever done, which could have also been because of the extra hangar space.

Aside from the guilt I feel about not finishing off my 55 classics, I don't see a reason to go back unless these somehow unexpectedly crap out.

How’s the pinch compared to classics? Do they Pop different?  Wheel base extension throwing you off any? I want to try some but I still got life in my 44s and don’t wanna break in new ones but damn these are tempting

jamersonbass

« Reply #3749 on: April 20, 2021, 12:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How’s the pinch compared to classics? Do they Pop different?  Wheel base extension throwing you off any? I want to try some but I still got life in my 44s and don’t wanna break in new ones but damn these are tempting

If I were you, I'd run your 44's into the ground beforehand.  Loving mine so far, but at 37 it takes me considerably longer to kill trucks.