Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 748043 times)

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3780 on: April 21, 2021, 05:14:51 PM »
I only liked the AF1's at first when I had them on an 8.38 AH eagle (14.5 wb)

Then I swapped to an 8.5 AH eagle (14.25 wb) and I fucking love the AF1's now. Feels so perfect. Which is kinda funny for me considering the Classics feel way too cramped on 14.25's. I like this extended wheelbase on the AF1's, others might not.

(Ace 55's btw)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3781 on: April 21, 2021, 05:16:39 PM »
If any of the people who are geeking out about board, truck and wheels measurement don't at least have a pair of $15 digital calipers from Harbor Freight, you're hopeless.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #3782 on: April 21, 2021, 06:12:30 PM »
If any of the people who are geeking out about board, truck and wheels measurement don't at least have a pair of $15 digital calipers from Harbor Freight, you're hopeless.

Can get them even cheaper on Amazon. Also one of those little scales that every college kid that buys weed has in their sock drawer. And a good tape measure.

If you don't take these 3 items, along with a reference deck to check tail/nose steepness, with you to the skate shop every time you go then you're a fucking amateur.

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #3783 on: April 21, 2021, 06:19:23 PM »
Found this video. Note that his height measurement is crap.  He measures with a tape and then uses the wrong conversion (2.18 inches instead of 2.125 - which wasn't accurate enough to begin with). 

Lol awkward when he sees this. Dudes a frequent poster in shoes and gear

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3784 on: April 21, 2021, 06:27:34 PM »
BTW for those not keen on the abnormally high price, hit up Warehouse Skateboards....$44.99 a pair/set of 2, and use GET10NOW for 10% off ;)

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/ace-trucks-af1-55-polished-skateboard-trucks-5.8-hanger-8.5-axle-set-of-2

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3785 on: April 21, 2021, 06:59:26 PM »
BTW for those not keen on the abnormally high price, hit up Warehouse Skateboards....$44.99 a pair/set of 2, and use GET10NOW for 10% off ;)

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/ace-trucks-af1-55-polished-skateboard-trucks-5.8-hanger-8.5-axle-set-of-2

Thank you!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3786 on: April 21, 2021, 07:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you!

Note that's for the raws!

Also, "Only 7 Currently In Stock" makes you wonder why they've got an odd number..someone buy 1 or 3?

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3787 on: April 21, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you!
[close]

Also, "Only 7 Currently In Stock" makes you wonder why they've got an odd number..someone buy 1 or 3?

Raws meaning polished? Got me worried now, I just ordered a set. The black and gold are only $2~ more btw. My order came to $46 with shipping for the 55’s

And that is probably the quantity of sets, not individual trucks

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3788 on: April 21, 2021, 07:24:22 PM »

Sick.  Thanks! 

Just got a pair of 33s in the mail (downsized to an 8.1), but got a pair of 44s in case the 33s are too small.  Just hit axle on my 44 classics, so great timing
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #3789 on: April 21, 2021, 07:31:56 PM »
Ended up getting Film trucks because (weirdly) the skateshop I ended up at had them, but not the new Aces and I wasn't feeling particularly picky. Got the Rollersurfer pro model because they felt like almost the same weight as the hollows.

Didn't see any of the Buttfart Rapedick posts till after buying and skating them, but would say I agree with basically all of his assessments aside from that I didn't notice a difference in my pop at all, but this may be more because I went from riding my Ace 44's on a deck that has been on it's last legs for at least the last three or four sessions I'd skated before switching and when I got the Films I threw them on a brand new deck.

Whoever said Films are cheap is absolutely wrong. If anything skating them makes me feel like the Ace classics are kind of cheap, or at the very least feel flimsy.

It may be psychosomatic but the Films have a nice sturdy feeling to them and they grind really, really well. To me they feel like an older stage Indy in heartiness but with a crazy good and fun turn like Aces.

Honestly I feel like the turn really is better, or at least better for me, than the Aces. If it gives you any idea of the turn I'll say this - I tend to do quick little surfy snap carves while skating and like doing pinpoint turns to hit obstacles in weird lines and the Films seem to have a really snappy, pinpoint, tight turn that lends itself really well to this. First session out I hit up this little diy park (7th street in delaware if you know) and was hitting two backside grinds on a really long 3ft high quarter by doing quick carves as soon as I would get to the flat in kind of a surf-style. Always wanted to do this trick and have never been able to before with any other setup.

As far as the pinch goes on Films I won't say they're specifically better than Ace per se, but that they just feel slightly different. I never really got good crooks on Aces really, and always felt like the pinch would happen, but felt more like an effort of pure will-power and precise posture, the Films are somewhat like this but IMO feel a little easier to stand up in. This might just be my personal experience or that my two sessions with them I was particularly on or something though.

Wish there was a way that I knew of to cross post this info to the "Less popular brands" truck thread, but I feel like probably if you're interested in info on Films then you probably lurk the Ace thread anyway since they're the most common comparison.

Yeah I wasn't really intending to derail the discussion so I'll end it on this one but I kind of think of the film turn as a weird hybrid of thunder and ace. It's got that tight turning radius but isn't quite as surfy and has a really snappy response. I'm not sure how much of it is geometry and how much is the bushings, but it's at least somewhat in the design because I've tried the bushings in other trucks, and I've tried other trucks with interlocking bushings (tensor ATG), and I've tried the bushings in other trucks that use interlocking bushings (film bushings in Tensor ATG) but none of them truly replicate it. Its one of those trucks you just constantly want to do little S turns and carves on because its so rewarding. If I ever get over my psychological block about the pop I might even consider making them my daily driver.

Honestly the closest thing I can think of geometry-wise is maybe Theeve TI-Hanger but thats a whole other can of madness worms. And now I'm going to have to go put film bushings in my TI-Hangers and see what thats like. Fuck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3790 on: April 21, 2021, 07:51:12 PM »
I have no idea how you guys got Film trucks to turn. I got a set and immediately threw some soft Film bushings in them and set the kingpin flush and they don’t turn worth shit. If I can’t turn easily while pushing, it’s not gonna work for me. Standing on the board on a carpet it feels like they might turn really nice but actually skating them, they really don’t at all. Maybe with some other bushings they’d be fine but why stray away from Ace as they’ve got the best turn anyway? 🤔

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3791 on: April 21, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you!
[close]

[close]

Raws meaning polished? Got me worried now, I just ordered a set. The black and gold are only $2~ more btw. My order came to $46 with shipping for the 55’s

And that is probably the quantity of sets, not individual trucks

I always refer to 'silver' as Raw, but yeah polished! And DERP, 7 sets not individual trucks...my brain is fried today (probably the slam I took).

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3792 on: April 21, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Found this video. Note that his height measurement is crap.  He measures with a tape and then uses the wrong conversion (2.18 inches instead of 2.125 - which wasn't accurate enough to begin with). 

[close]

Lol awkward when he sees this. Dudes a frequent poster in shoes and gear

;)

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3793 on: April 21, 2021, 10:59:36 PM »
I have no idea how you guys got Film trucks to turn. I got a set and immediately threw some soft Film bushings in them and set the kingpin flush and they don’t turn worth shit. If I can’t turn easily while pushing, it’s not gonna work for me. Standing on the board on a carpet it feels like they might turn really nice but actually skating them, they really don’t at all. Maybe with some other bushings they’d be fine but why stray away from Ace as they’ve got the best turn anyway? 🤔

At 53.5 high and a +2.875 wheelbase, they should have the geometry to turn like Aces. Then we have the bushings, you mentioned you threw in softs. Maybe they are not broken in yet? Ace bushings are also quite stiff out of the box. I hope the "nipple" bushing style doesn't steal some turn. Another thing someone mentioned is that Film bushings freeze up something serious in cold weather. Are you perhaps skating in the cold? The reason why I'm eyeing a pair is because they seem like a well thought out and designed product. I like the design and I'm certain the quality is good as well. If they turn like Tensors for whatever reason, well, that would be a giant disappointment of course.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #3794 on: April 21, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love the functionality, look and customisation of having an inverted KP but having to take the trucks off everytime you want to take your hanger off etc (or epoxy the nut so it doesn't move) is like nah. Better off angle grinding the standard kingpin nut and it grinds better that way as well apparently.
[close]

In order to get any inverted kingpin mod to work, you'll need to epoxy/glue-set the nut in somehow. Otherwise it just spins. So I never have had to take the trucks off to swap bushings or anything on the many sets I've done over the years!
[close]

Hopefully the super glue works for you, anytime I've used it a few sessions and it breaks free.
[close]

I don't know how anyone gets this to hold. Unless you have access to top secret aerospace glues, JB Weld is basically the only thing you're going to find on the shelf that will hold that in place IME

This video might help some of you struggling with it. You have to use a good epoxy - super glue isn't ever gonna cut it (ever!) and it doesn't work well with steel/metal anyway.

Apart from money, I still can't figure out why no truck companies have made a standard truck with a kingpin that sits much lower or come up with an alternative whereby the nut isn't under the baseplate.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3795 on: April 22, 2021, 06:51:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At 53.5 high and a +2.875 wheelbase, they should have the geometry to turn like Aces. Then we have the bushings, you mentioned you threw in softs. Maybe they are not broken in yet? Ace bushings are also quite stiff out of the box. I hope the "nipple" bushing style doesn't steal some turn. Another thing someone mentioned is that Film bushings freeze up something serious in cold weather. Are you perhaps skating in the cold? The reason why I'm eyeing a pair is because they seem like a well thought out and designed product. I like the design and I'm certain the quality is good as well. If they turn like Tensors for whatever reason, well, that would be a giant disappointment of course.

There’s much more to the geometry than wheelbase and height though.

I skated the Films indoors once and then outdoors in the cold. Indoors they were better but still not exactly very turny. Outdoors they were dog shit and it was indeed cold. The Ace AF1s turn like crazy straight away as did the more recent Ace classics for me at least. Could be that the bushings on the Films need to be broken in and that they don’t work in the cold or that the trucks could be awesome with some other bushings.

I just came to the realization that I really have no idea why I bought them. I’m happy with stock Aces so I can’t be bothered trying to make other trucks work by fiddling with them who knows how much. I already tried that with Ventures cuz I love the pop on them but I was never satisfied with the turn.

I’ll stick to Aces unless something better comes along. I just can’t be buying all brands and trying all sorts of things to make them work when Aces work so well for me without any fiddling.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3796 on: April 22, 2021, 06:54:15 AM »
film bushings take a LONG time to break in, you probably even need to loosen them off a bit after the fact and yes, they suck in the cold. I still maintain they are a quality truck though but if I want straight up no fuss, I'll stick with classic ACE 44s...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3797 on: April 22, 2021, 08:58:34 AM »
I guess I just need to pick up a pair of the AF1s and get it out of my system so I don't sit here agonizing anymore.  I skate 8.25" or 8.38" boards pretty much exclusively, which is why I loved the 44 classics.  Do I stick with 44s or go with 55s in the AF1s?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3798 on: April 22, 2021, 09:03:08 AM »
I guess I just need to pick up a pair of the AF1s and get it out of my system so I don't sit here agonizing anymore.  I skate 8.25" or 8.38" boards pretty much exclusively, which is why I loved the 44 classics.  Do I stick with 44s or go with 55s in the AF1s?
44s. You can push the wheels out a few mm with 44s but you can't really cut off the axles of 55s. Plus, 44s are lighter.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3799 on: April 22, 2021, 09:12:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
44s. You can push the wheels out a few mm with 44s but you can't really cut off the axles of 55s. Plus, 44s are lighter.

Thanks, I forgot you can throw a couple extra speed rings on the inside of the wheels to get 1/8" wider on the track, so I guess that's my move. 

ballintoohard

« Reply #3800 on: April 22, 2021, 10:13:47 AM »
can anyone that has AF1's actually confirm the wheelbase vs old Ace and Indy by taking a 2 sided measurement and averaging it? I've seen they're the same and also that they're shorter.

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #3801 on: April 22, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
Pulled the trigger on some af1 55s because I couldnt resist the 8.5 axle, coming from a rotation of 44 classic and 55 classics im very glad that theres now a happy medium. Had one park session and one flat session on them so far and the bushings + pivot cups feel amazing and soft right away without any annoying squeaking but I find the turn to be much more sluggish than the classics although they come super loose stock compared to the classics. New height feels good though, gives them a bit more of a heftier pop feel which im a fan of for most of my fliptricks. Also this might be just me but heelflips have been working astonishingly on these so I guess thats a personal plus.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3802 on: April 22, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »

I usually skate 8.25 / 8.3 but have been recenlty on 8.6+ and Indy 159s, I'm liking the grind room but the heft is killing me so I'm dropping back down to 8.3 / 8.5 decks and moved to the 55 AF1; I would have picked up the AF1 that should have come in the classic 44 sizing... =(

That said, the minute NHS drops the 159ti Mid, I'm jumping ship.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:51:18 AM by Xen »

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3803 on: April 22, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
Skated my AF1 66s in a park today and they were just fantastic. I havent skated a park in awhile and it was on fresh wheels and trucks so I took it a little gingerly but they felt fantastic. Turning was great and as one person pointed out, thank FUCK they do not make squeaking noises. Tightened a turn and a half, at my weight, was totally fine for surfing around. Just wish I hadnt gotten a hipper thanks to the crack at the bottom of one of the quarterpipes.
ok thanks

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3804 on: April 22, 2021, 04:38:34 PM »

Greasing up the pivot cups did the trick for me. Bushing switching helped too, though I was starting to like the stock bushings last time I tried them

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3805 on: April 22, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »
Tell ya what, I wish the AF1s came with a kingpin threader :P My front truck fell off yesterday on a speed check into manual and I didn't know it, put down and got pitched hard[/1] basically superfly'd the sidewalk at speed full contact to my left shoulder and pelvic bone and now my kingpin is toast =( Might have to buck up and buy the tool!

Tactics has them up as well, bit cheaper too

https://www.tactics.com/ace/af-1-skateboard-trucks/polished-silver-44
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:49:50 PM by Xen »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3806 on: April 22, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »
\
Tactics has them up as well, bit cheaper too

https://www.tactics.com/ace/af-1-skateboard-trucks/polished-silver-44

I just saw that when I got home from paying $65 at the "local".   Tactics even closer to my house.  Doh..

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3807 on: April 22, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »
skated my new 33s for the first time today, and they felt great right out of the box.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3808 on: April 22, 2021, 07:08:36 PM »
Impulse bought some black 44s just now off tactics. Completely unnecessary but have never tried Aces. Anyone around 200 lbs have any insight on how the stock bushings are? I have bones hard in my indys absolutely hated the stock indy yellows they felt so mushy

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3809 on: April 22, 2021, 07:45:34 PM »
200+ here and doing just fine.  I leave the nut factory tight.  I think you'll be good.