Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747405 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3930 on: April 28, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
have had mine since the day after they came out and my pivot cup is already fucked. got after market riptides and those tore in the first session. i’m not even that big so i think maybe i have a fucked up baseplate. pretty upset to say the least :/
[close]

Stock bushings and setup, or changed?

More curious than anything, but I know lower bottom bushings blow out pivot cups a whole lot and Ace has such a tall bottom bushing.
[close]
stock bushings. I’m super annoyed. went to the dms (like a man) and received a passive aggressive response. guess it’s back to thunders

Pretty wack to hear. Is there a sharp edge or lip either on the hanger nub or the cavity of the pivot cup? You said the riptides tore as well, almost sounds like there's a stray edge somewhere fucking things up.

Slugboi22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 67
« Reply #3931 on: April 28, 2021, 10:48:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
have had mine since the day after they came out and my pivot cup is already fucked. got after market riptides and those tore in the first session. i’m not even that big so i think maybe i have a fucked up baseplate. pretty upset to say the least :/
[close]

More curious than anything, but I know lower bottom bushings blow out pivot cups a whole lot and Ace has such a tall bottom bushing.
[close]
stock bushings. I’m super annoyed. went to the dms (like a man) and received a passive aggressive response. guess it’s back to thunders
[close]

Pretty wack to hear. Is there a sharp edge or lip either on the hanger nub or the cavity of the pivot cup? You said the riptides tore as well, almost sounds like there's a stray edge somewhere fucking things up.

there’s definitely a strange dent/ sharp edge on the cavity causing the bushing to get fucked up. needless to say i’m pretty upset i spent 65 on the trucks plus 20 on riptides to try and fix the issue. hoping ace can get back to me soonish as i love the trucks besides how shitty they sound at the moment and how sketchy they feel with already fucked up pivot cups

freddyrothbard

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3932 on: April 28, 2021, 11:05:04 PM »
what is the closest ace truck to an indy 169 in size?  the ace website has the axel length for the 55 standards listed at 9" but they also say they have oversized axels. I just want to find something that is close in size to the 169 indy. 

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3933 on: April 28, 2021, 11:47:07 PM »
what is the closest ace truck to an indy 169 in size?  the ace website has the axel length for the 55 standards listed at 9" but they also say they have oversized axels. I just want to find something that is close in size to the 169 indy.
The closest in size is the Classic 66 which is 9.25 to the 169s 9.125. As far as AF1s go, the new 77s are 9.35 so a little bigger and then you are looking at AF1 66 at 9. The bigger sizes are kinda between Indy sizes with no exact 159 or 169.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3934 on: April 29, 2021, 12:33:47 AM »
I've only had about 30 mins on the trucks but
pretty common knowledge on here that you have to break them in over 2-3 sessions, I took slap’s advice and my 44s turned out to be amazing

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3935 on: April 29, 2021, 04:34:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
pretty common knowledge on here that you have to break them in over 2-3 sessions, I took slap’s advice and my 44s turned out to be amazing
This happens with almost every truck company as well. I love thunders but their bushings feel terrible for the first session or two. Most truck company bushings are fine after a bit of time. Imo ace are a step above though

ballintoohard

« Reply #3936 on: April 29, 2021, 07:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Untitled by , on Flickr
Shoes/gear section has made me have hawkeyes for trucks. BDK on aces.
[close]

Nice. If anyone's ever seen him skate in person you could hear his Thunders rattling from a block away. Full on Matt Rod loose, so Ace makes a ton of sense.

I saw an old Blue Tile Lounge video where he sets up a board and didn’t see much wobble and an old Spitfire ad that showed what looked like stock Thunders- does he cut the bushings or something?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3937 on: April 29, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just curious, did you DM them or did you hit up their warranty dept via their site? Had a great experience with that the time I had an issue, highly recommended.

https://acetrucks.com/contact/

As someone who works with a ticket-based service system, I can say with quite a bit of certainty that you will get a better response.

Just ordered some 55 AF1s in........

.....gold. ugh.

Got a 9" board with lots of taper. 66s wont work.

@bigdave get you some citristrip from the hardware store. As long as they aren't anodized it'll get them raw in no time without any serious fumes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:37:13 AM by FrozenIndustries »

toey jershay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3938 on: April 29, 2021, 07:57:45 AM »
all those schizoids talm bout Indy plants in the Ace thread are suddenly quiet now that more people are posting about how these AF1's aren't that great and already have QC issues ;D

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3939 on: April 29, 2021, 08:18:07 AM »
Not at all. Put down the reefer and pay attention Toey.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3940 on: April 29, 2021, 08:21:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sorry if this was asked before, but are 55 AF1s the 44 Classic equivalent? Skatedeluxe says both have 146mm hangers. AF1 44s supposedly have a 140mm hanger which is smaller than Indy 144s and puts them to 139 territory.
[close]

Yes, AF1 55s and 44 classics are basically the same, slightly longer axle on the 55 AF1s.
[close]

Slightly longer hanger also.

Yeah the official acetrucks.com measurement for the AF1 44 hanger is 143mm and AF1 55 hanger is actually 149mm so I'll stick with the AF1 44's. Downsizing the truck is easier than upsizing for me.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:36:54 AM by mbam003 »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #3941 on: April 29, 2021, 08:41:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The closest in size is the Classic 66 which is 9.25 to the 169s 9.125. As far as AF1s go, the new 77s are 9.35 so a little bigger and then you are looking at AF1 66 at 9. The bigger sizes are kinda between Indy sizes with no exact 159 or 169.

Classic 66 are 9.35.  AF-1 77s are 9.5

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3942 on: April 29, 2021, 10:12:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Indeed. The correct answer to the original question of finding a 169 equivalent is 55 Classics or the new AF1 66, which are both at 9" (to 169s' 9.125").

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3943 on: April 29, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I will keep skating them for the next few days. Just never seen a truck pull so hard like that. I know it takes a while to break in trucks, so I will see what the next few days will show.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3944 on: April 29, 2021, 11:11:09 AM »
all those schizoids talm bout Indy plants in the Ace thread are suddenly quiet now that more people are posting about how these AF1's aren't that great and already have QC issues ;D

lol, QC issues = come clicking from the pivot cup for a session or two while the trucks break in.  throw the whole trucks away, total failure.  better back to my Indy's where the hangers literally crack in half

5th session on mine, and they get better every time I skate.  maybe I'm an Ace plant?

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

ballintoohard

« Reply #3945 on: April 29, 2021, 11:13:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I will keep skating them for the next few days. Just never seen a truck pull so hard like that. I know it takes a while to break in trucks, so I will see what the next few days will show.

With my stock Indy bushings this happens for a good month. Even with the aftermarkets they will do this for a few sessions and my shit is not tight at all. Waxing the pivot cups somehow made it worse.

toey jershay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3946 on: April 29, 2021, 11:40:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol, QC issues = come clicking from the pivot cup for a session or two while the trucks break in.  throw the whole trucks away, total failure.  better back to my Indy's where the hangers literally crack in half

5th session on mine, and they get better every time I skate.  maybe I'm an Ace plant?

you are so mad over trucks dude, it's hilarious. definition of an internet tough guy. i went back to my several years old 44's, no indy's for me. you skipped all the reviews after mine, btw. like the one with the faulty pivot cavity cutting someone's riptides and the numerous reports of quiet trucks from these new stock pivot cups. "most precise truck ever made"...mmk. glad yours are working out.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3947 on: April 29, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you are so mad over trucks dude, it's hilarious. definition of an internet tough guy. i went back to my several years old 44's, no indy's for me. you skipped all the reviews after mine, btw. like the one with the faulty pivot cavity cutting someone's riptides and the numerous reports of quiet trucks from these new stock pivot cups. "most precise truck ever made"...mmk. glad yours are working out.

Hey, glad to see that you don't care even a little bit and most definitely aren't mad about anything.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3948 on: April 29, 2021, 11:48:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He doesn't sound that mad, but you sound like someone with a low-grade fever, and an educational background with a few gaps in it, most apparent is reading comprehension.
ok thanks

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3949 on: April 29, 2021, 11:53:31 AM »
I don't see anyone saying they aren't that great. Loving mine with no issues yet. I like the tiny extension to the wb and it seems like kingpin clearance has improved. You can tell by holding them that the quality of metal alone is an upgrade. The only thing left to do is cut some weight by hollowing out the pins and axles, but with the light pop feel of 44s, that really is unnecessary imho. The only reason to dislike Classics for me was the tippy feel and the AF1 feel way more stable on center - with an even deeper turn.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #3950 on: April 29, 2021, 12:01:36 PM »
haha dude who names himself "toey jershay" and made an account specifically to post about trucks says that I am "mad" about trucks...

i don't really give that much of a fuck about trucks.  just turn ok and don't break.  don't give a shit about squeaking, micrometers of difference in wheelbase, wheelbite, wheels sticking out/in.  AF1s are the first trucks I've been excited about in a long time.  they just feel good.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

871skate

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3951 on: April 29, 2021, 01:41:13 PM »
I just ordered myself a set of 44 AF1 cause I just couldn’t help myself from trying them even though I’m currently on brand new classic 33s and I still got a good setup with classic 44s. Being an Ace head feels good after years of Indys and Thunders but I haven’t tried any other brands. Anyone else rides FA/Hockey boards and is kind of happy about the slightly longer wheelbase of the AF1s? That made me wanna try it cause manny tricks are so hard on a 14- 14-12 wheelbase with Aces. Also hyped the 44s will be slightly shorter and hanger but wish that would’ve cut down the weight a bit. Always wondering whether 44 or 33s are best for me. Also, stoked for Bobby shredding Aces, he always made me wanna ride Thunders

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3952 on: April 29, 2021, 03:04:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My bad I knew I shouldn't have freeballed it
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

furieruzu

« Reply #3953 on: April 30, 2021, 02:11:13 AM »
After one week on my AF1 44's here's my observations:

- Once the bushings broke-in (this is key) the turn doesn't feel noticeably different nor does the pop (depending on the deck). Once the bushings broke-in they felt a little more stable at center than classics but still a bit more squirrely than Indy. I think the slight difference in stability is more attributable to the bushings and pivots than anything else.

- Bushings are great so far! They took me about 3 full days of skating to break-in. Thunder and Indy stock usually take me about 2 hours of skating. So yeah, a little more patience is required. You have to reserve judgment on these trucks until they break-in! I did not like them at all on day one. I normally like my trucks around medium-loose so I went with two quarter turns past flush on the front and three on the back truck. Super loose with a lot of wheelbite at first but once they broke-in I decided no more adjusting was necessary. I'm 6'0" and 185lbs if that helps. Bushings are staying strangely white too, unlike turning black almost instantly on classics. After break-in they re-center reasonably well too.

- Bushing muffining, didn't happen, at all. Always happened to me on classics. The bushings knew their place and made no escape attempts.

- Height/Wheelbase are almost exactly the same as where an Indy with forged baseplates would be. No, I didn't measure, I simply lined up the baseplate holes and eyeballed it. Might be a mm or two difference but it's negligible in my opinion. I didn't have any older classics anymore to compare, sorry.

- Weight is a little heavy. I didn't weigh them but since my other trucks are Indy Ti and Thunder Hollows I expected them to feel a bit heavier. The good news is when actually riding them I didn't really notice much difference at all. Just holding one in the hand I'd say it feels a bit lighter than a standard Indy and around the same as a Venture with cast plates and solid axles.

- The grind is definitely different. I'd put them somewhere between Thunder and Venture. Closer to Thunder at the park on metal coping and waxed ledges and a little more in-between the two on curbs and rougher surfaces. If you're coming from Indy you may have to go a bit faster depending on the surface. I like it though, very controlled and consistent and they don't wear down as fast as classics.

- The pivots seem okay. Mine are still quiet and intact with no signs of falling apart way too quickly. There is definitely something in them. Either some sort of oil or grease or something. It's not a lot but I noticed a black substance being pushed out onto the stem of the truck hanger after skating the first few times. I'm usually a Riptide pivot person as part of setting up new trucks but decided to give the stock a chance. If they go to shit or start squeaking I'll update.

- The axles are great! No more stacking washers etc so they don't stick out so far. I've ridden them with some quantum bearings and the stock washers as well as with some Bones race reds without washers and all four wheels spun great while tightening them down all the way. The edge of the aluminum hanger is definitely flush with the bearings so no issues there. As far as the "oversized to eliminate bearing wobble" axle thickness, I didn't notice anything different since I tighten things down. I guess that might help out those who leave some play in their wheels but I have no idea.

I'm riding them with the new Ace 1/8" risers and 56mm wheels. I also tried out the Ace 1/16" shock pads and unlike others they didn't squish out from underneath the baseplate and maintained their shape. My preferred riser these days are the Real 3 Ply wooden ones. If anyone tries out their "Universal" pattern with Ace please let me know how they fit. If I get some myself I'll update. I was able to use Shorty's 7/8" with the shock pad and just barely got Shorty's 1" to work with the regular riser pads. You may have to go up to 1 1/8" depending on the thickness of your wood (pun intended).

In Conclusion: The Ace AF1's will be replacing Indy on one of my cruisers, my larger park setup and my "shitty Belgian streets" setup with 56mm 97A Spitfire wheels. I'll be sticking with Thunder on my smaller setups as I find my meager arsenal of flip tricks comes easier with Thunder. Yes, I'm a quiver skater. The surfaces and spots here are all so varied there's no one and done setup that works I've found.

I'll do my best to answer any questions. I hope this all helps out some.

P.S. These trucks arrive in a plastic bag and have a lot of polish or preservative on them. Unless you want blackish blue meteor shit all over your hands they require a decent wipe down. I actually dampened a microfiber and cleaned then dried them. The rag was almost completely black after I was done.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3954 on: April 30, 2021, 02:24:53 AM »
After one week on my AF1 44's here's my observations:

- Once the bushings broke-in (this is key) the turn doesn't feel noticeably different nor does the pop (depending on the deck). Once the bushings broke-in they felt a little more stable at center than classics but still a bit more squirrely than Indy. I think the slight difference in stability is more attributable to the bushings and pivots than anything else.

- Bushings are great so far! They took me about 3 full days of skating to break-in. Thunder and Indy stock usually take me about 2 hours of skating. So yeah, a little more patience is required. You have to reserve judgment on these trucks until they break-in! I did not like them at all on day one. I normally like my trucks around medium-loose so I went with two quarter turns past flush on the front and three on the back truck. Super loose with a lot of wheelbite at first but once they broke-in I decided no more adjusting was necessary. I'm 6'0" and 185lbs if that helps. Bushings are staying strangely white too, unlike turning black almost instantly on classics. After break-in they re-center reasonably well too.

- Bushing muffining, didn't happen, at all. Always happened to me on classics. The bushings knew their place and made no escape attempts.

- Height/Wheelbase are almost exactly the same as where an Indy with forged baseplates would be. No, I didn't measure, I simply lined up the baseplate holes and eyeballed it. Might be a mm or two difference but it's negligible in my opinion. I didn't have any older classics anymore to compare, sorry.

- Weight is a little heavy. I didn't weigh them but since my other trucks are Indy Ti and Thunder Hollows I expected them to feel a bit heavier. The good news is when actually riding them I didn't really notice much difference at all. Just holding one in the hand I'd say it feels a bit lighter than a standard Indy and around the same as a Venture with cast plates and solid axles.

- The grind is definitely different. I'd put them somewhere between Thunder and Venture. Closer to Thunder at the park on metal coping and waxed ledges and a little more in-between the two on curbs and rougher surfaces. If you're coming from Indy you may have to go a bit faster depending on the surface. I like it though, very controlled and consistent and they don't wear down as fast as classics.

- The pivots seem okay. Mine are still quiet and intact with no signs of falling apart way too quickly. There is definitely something in them. Either some sort of oil or grease or something. It's not a lot but I noticed a black substance being pushed out onto the stem of the truck hanger after skating the first few times. I'm usually a Riptide pivot person as part of setting up new trucks but decided to give the stock a chance. If they go to shit or start squeaking I'll update.

- The axles are great! No more stacking washers etc so they don't stick out so far. I've ridden them with some quantum bearings and the stock washers as well as with some Bones race reds without washers and all four wheels spun great while tightening them down all the way. The edge of the aluminum hanger is definitely flush with the bearings so no issues there. As far as the "oversized to eliminate bearing wobble" axle thickness, I didn't notice anything different since I tighten things down. I guess that might help out those who leave some play in their wheels but I have no idea.

I'm riding them with the new Ace 1/8" risers and 56mm wheels. I also tried out the Ace 1/16" shock pads and unlike others they didn't squish out from underneath the baseplate and maintained their shape. My preferred riser these days are the Real 3 Ply wooden ones. If anyone tries out their "Universal" pattern with Ace please let me know how they fit. If I get some myself I'll update. I was able to use Shorty's 7/8" with the shock pad and just barely got Shorty's 1" to work with the regular riser pads. You may have to go up to 1 1/8" depending on the thickness of your wood (pun intended).

In Conclusion: The Ace AF1's will be replacing Indy on one of my cruisers, my larger park setup and my "shitty Belgian streets" setup with 56mm 97A Spitfire wheels. I'll be sticking with Thunder on my smaller setups as I find my meager arsenal of flip tricks comes easier with Thunder. Yes, I'm a quiver skater. The surfaces and spots here are all so varied there's no one and done setup that works I've found.

I'll do my best to answer any questions. I hope this all helps out some.

P.S. These trucks arrive in a plastic bag and have a lot of polish or preservative on them. Unless you want blackish blue meteor shit all over your hands they require a decent wipe down. I actually dampened a microfiber and cleaned then dried them. The rag was almost completely black after I was done.

thank you and welcome to slap

furieruzu

« Reply #3955 on: April 30, 2021, 02:38:34 AM »
thank you and welcome to slap

You are welcome and thanks!

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #3956 on: April 30, 2021, 03:02:10 AM »
All subjective obvs but personally, both the original Ace classics (44) and the new AF1's (55) work just fine.

Both trucks have the best turn in the game from stock - period. (If you like riding loose trucks of course but if u don't like loose trucks then that's just weird anyway)

Only main noticeable diff when it comes to actually skating them is that the new AF1's have the new sizes, come with the fancy axle rethreading bolts and slightly wider WB which makes them MUCH more stable IMO along with 0.25 extra width. Crazy how 0.25 extra width makes such an insane amount of diff!

It's a pretty simple conclusion tbh. If you ride tight trucks (gay) then stick with your ventures and thunders (or whatever) that don't really turn properly (they just lean to the sides) but if you actually like turning / carving and having that loose surfy turn then you're just not gonna find a truck that turns anywhere like Ace. The closest u can get is tweaking Indy's but even then you cant get them as loose as ace with good centering.

Seen a few people complaining about the grind. Go faster or stick some wax on the hangers then no? This has always been what skaters do and have done since day 1 so not sure why its even an issue tbh. More wax on the ledge & on the trucks and problem solved! That goes for any trucks.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:43:58 PM by Bigwheelbite »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #3957 on: April 30, 2021, 03:36:08 AM »

It's a pretty simple conclusion tbh. If you ride tight trucks (GAY) then stick with your ventures and thunders (or whatever) that don't really turn properly (they just lean to the sides) but if you actually like turning / carving and having that loose surfy turn then you're just not gonna find a truck that turns anywhere like Ace. The closest u can get is tweaking Indy's but even then you cant get them as loose as ace with good centering.

I sadly haven’t seen GAY post here for a while (we all miss you), but I always assumed he likes his trucks like he likes his older men’s assholes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:57:32 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3958 on: April 30, 2021, 10:17:48 AM »

Just had my first  session on AF1 55s. Overall I like them but forgot how much I hate new trucks. I experienced a few issues. They stuck and felt weird grinding coping. Then after a few goes that felt fine. But different. Then skated curb that’s used as a coping and it stuck hit after a bit felt good grinding on concrete. I noticed the pinch and pop feels better on af1s. But damn did I wheel bite a lot today. Like flash back to thunders wheel bite. Same twitch. But they rebound good. They don’t feel heavy. The king pin looks longer. Buuuut my pivot cup broke. Idk when or how but I looked to see if the bushings bulged and noticed it. Bushings are fine can’t wait til they firm up. Cause skating stock seems a little more twitchy than classic 44s. I’m 6’1 and about 230. So I’m not small. So I understand my size May be the issue.

The pivot cup bums me out.

Does anyone know if old ace pivot cups will fit or Indy pivot cups?

Edit// can a pal turn one of the pivot cup pics into a jpg for me so I  can submit it to ace customer service?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:24:29 AM by Murge »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3959 on: April 30, 2021, 11:30:34 AM »
@Murge it looks like if you just download them from imagebb they're JPGs, but if I am missing something let me know and I got you.

Sucks about the pivot cups. I really like how they feel.