Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738828 times)

Alois Hitler Jr. and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

dancing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4050 on: May 08, 2021, 12:52:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I checked the pivot cups of my af 1's today and after about 20-25 hours of allround skating they are in perfect condition. Maybe I had just luck with my set or it is because of the fact that I'm build like a greyhound and weigh around 135 lbs. I run them a little bit looser than stock tightness (nut sits flush with kingpin)
[close]

I run mine stock(the kingpin just peeking above the nut) and weigh about 180-185 and mine are in great shape also. Really feel bad for the guys with theirs getting fucked up though. I've put in about 20 hours on mine mainly street with bits of transition and curbs.

Are any of you guys blowing yours out skating mainly curbs? Not that that's an excuse for them blowing out so quickly, just curious.
[close]

Oh yeah. I’m about 160lbs and I blew out my pivot cups in 20 min skating curbs and went straight back to indys.
[close]

Makes me wonder if the new pivot cups need some time to break in similar to bushings. My first day on them was some light ledge skating and flatground. No curbs until I probably had 4 sessions on them

I was thinking the same thing, like I feel like hitting slappies right away might be an issue if the cups aren't broken in a bit with some more mellow skating

laterskater

« Reply #4051 on: May 08, 2021, 02:48:58 PM »
Anyone ever skated Aces without the bottom washer? Want to have them just over the edge of wobbly/rattling. Riding Af1's with the new bushings and all that.

I do. I couldn’t get the AF1s loose enough so I removed the bottom washer and put a wider top washer on. The turn is much better now but I still prefer the grind and turn of the classics.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #4052 on: May 08, 2021, 03:09:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone ever skated Aces without the bottom washer? Want to have them just over the edge of wobbly/rattling. Riding Af1's with the new bushings and all that.
[close]

I do. I couldn’t get the AF1s loose enough so I removed the bottom washer and put a wider top washer on. The turn is much better now but I still prefer the grind and turn of the classics.

Got ya. I went ahead and took mine out of the front truck at least. I usually run flat washers on top but until I get some I'll keep the stock up there. I like my front truck loose and my back a little more secure.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

laterskater

« Reply #4053 on: May 09, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Got ya. I went ahead and took mine out of the front truck at least. I usually run flat washers on top but until I get some I'll keep the stock up there. I like my front truck loose and my back a little more secure.

A few people at the skatepark tried my board the other day and acted like I was a psycho for riding it so loose. So do whatever works best for you, of course. I’m also 150lbs, so I’m lighter than some others which makes a difference.

Are flat washers worth buying?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4054 on: May 09, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

A few people at the skatepark tried my board the other day and acted like I was a psycho for riding it so loose. So do whatever works best for you, of course. I’m also 150lbs, so I’m lighter than some others which makes a difference.

Depends on what you are after?

Flat washers allow the most distortion (especially sideways) of the bushing. If you ride loose flat is the way to go (especially before you try no washers at all).

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4055 on: May 09, 2021, 11:58:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Depends on what you are after?

Flat washers allow the most distortion (especially sideways) of the bushing. If you ride loose flat is the way to go (especially before you try no washers at all).

Xen with the knowledge! @laterskater I'd say since you like em loose, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try them. I run them on top since it allows that extra movement described above, and am experimenting with nothin on bottom. Goin bottomless. Feels good, feels free :)

con_hielo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4056 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd already remove the bottom washer from my 55 classic but my kingpin nuts were still falling off. So i went ahead and bought some flat washers coming with the bones bushings. Best decision i've made so far ahah :)) I'm 160lbs

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4057 on: May 09, 2021, 12:46:17 PM »

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4058 on: May 09, 2021, 02:11:49 PM »
I use these:

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

Gives that bones action with any bushing (bottoms last forever).

I think I want to give these a try on my AF1 55’s. The constant clicking of the stock washer is maddening. 

They fit the Ace bushings well?

Have you tried their machined cupped washers? I’m hoping one of these types of washers will improve the feel of the AF1’s for me.   

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4059 on: May 09, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
Expand Quote

I think I want to give these a try on my AF1 55’s. The constant clicking of the stock washer is maddening. 

They fit the Ace bushings well?

Have you tried their machined cupped washers? I’m hoping one of these types of washers will improve the feel of the AF1’s for me.   

They fit ACE bushings just fine! I've not tried the cupped washers.

laterskater

« Reply #4060 on: May 09, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »
I use these:

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/54091/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washer-cone-sleeved-washer-combo-pack-four-pack

I’m going to give these a try, thanks!

“Gives that bones action with any bushing” - sounds incredible, immediately sold.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #4061 on: May 09, 2021, 06:13:40 PM »
I use these:

Damn man, I've been wanting something like this for years. I thought about having some of my machinist friends make them for me, but I didn't even know where to start. Price is decent for a small batch machined product like this.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4062 on: May 09, 2021, 06:41:51 PM »
Those washers and the dual.duro.ace bushings (low top, reg bottom) + riptides make Indy/venture feel great, best I could get the venture to feel.

I ride loose but don't like slop so flat washers and low top bushings work wonders. I almost always use bones tops or these sleeved washers with conicals...dual sleeved small washers in thunders....are so worth it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4063 on: May 10, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »
First Session on them, 20 minutes into it and the cup started getting fucked up. Pics are from a 1hr 45min session:

The culprit:

Someone else posted the exact same issue, it's a flaw in the pivot cavity (I assume it's there to begin with and not something that deforms first skate); it's not rounded/smooth so when you lean into that area it's going to deform/cut the cup leading to it blowing out.

I'm over it, heavy low-tech truck with continued shitty QC.

That said, that turn is sooo on point (I loosened them a turn or so to get the nut flush as I had threads showing stock), zero break in or adjustment, they feel that good. Grind-wise they felt fine, harder than classics and out of the gate, dare I say smoother/easier to grind than Indy/Thunder/Venture.

Oh well, back to Indy/Tensor.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4064 on: May 10, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
First Session on them, 20 minutes into it and the cup started getting fucked up. Pics are from a 1hr 45min session:

The culprit:

Someone else posted the exact same issue, it's a flaw in the pivot cavity (I assume it's there to begin with and not something that deforms first skate); it's not rounded/smooth so when you lean into that area it's going to deform/cut the cup leading to it blowing out.

That said, that turn is sooo on point (I loosened them a turn or so to get the nut flush as I had threads showing stock), zero break in or adjustment, they feel that good. Grind-wise they felt fine, harder than classics and out of the gate, dare I say smoother/easier to grind than Indy/Thunder/Venture.

Bummer. I skated my AFs for about a week and then went back my classics, which I prefer overall. When I get home I'm going to look and see if the pivot cavity is deformed at all.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4065 on: May 10, 2021, 11:53:02 AM »
Anyone try a classic baseplate with AF1 hanger yet?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4066 on: May 10, 2021, 12:11:32 PM »
Expand Quote

The culprit:

[close]

Bummer. I skated my AFs for about a week and then went back my classics, which I prefer overall. When I get home I'm going to look and see if the pivot cavity is deformed at all.

I should note that the cup is not blown out, but being sliced up by the deformity in the plate, but clearly continued use will just shred the fuck out the cup. I reached out them via insta and they directed me to their contact page...even with clearly deformed cavity the answer was a pivot cup issue (with the pour) not the baseplate...it's plain as day....

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #4067 on: May 10, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »
New frontiers in blowing it on a huge, hyped up product launch from Ace. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4068 on: May 10, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »
New frontiers in blowing it on a huge, hyped up product launch from Ace. 

I'm pretty forgiving, products have defects and I'm guessing that it isn't widespread but I've seen the cavity deformity in another post in this thread so clearly there is a run out there that's fucked up...and really it isn't surprising coming from ACE.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4069 on: May 10, 2021, 01:03:02 PM »
Took apart both trucks again (the truck with the cup shredding was the rear truck); Both plates have the issue and you can clearly see that's it due to a machining error as there is a 'swirl' mark leading directly from the 'nick' on the plate. The 'black residue' was present on the hanger pivot as well but it hadn't begun to creep out.

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

Back truck and rotated the cup to better see the 'nick':

Front plate (clearly not as bad but it's still there)

Both plates (front plate is the closest to the camera and you can clearly see the machining marks):

ACE got back to me real quick and are backing them by sending out another set and extra cups. They've also noted that they've seen a few of these cases (but said new cups solved it; not sure those that had the issue took them apart and saw what I saw and sent them pics). I was thanked for the pics as it will help them isolate/solve the issue in future runs (we can hope).

If anyone hasn't set them up, I'd highly suggest taking them apart and checking your cavities.

Also, they are under Mesa Dist., along with Uma.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:45:26 PM by Xen »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #4070 on: May 10, 2021, 02:34:16 PM »
I’m still riding the classics, but I have the same issue with the nick in the pivot cavity causing my pivot cups to go to shit. Pair that with the loose kingpin and it makes for some squirrely situations when going fast.

That said, I’m still riding them and I’ve learned to deal with it. It’s an annoyance, but by no means catastrophic failure. It beats getting new trucks.

Not shitting on Ace either, they’re by far the best feeling truck out there. Would be nice if they had better QC though

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4071 on: May 10, 2021, 02:50:43 PM »
Really glad I don't have the machining error on the pivot cavities on either truck in my set of AF1's... would have been very bummed after all the anticipation

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #4072 on: May 10, 2021, 02:58:15 PM »
Took apart both trucks again (the truck with the cup shredding was the rear truck); Both plates have the issue and you can clearly see that's it due to a machining error as there is a 'swirl' mark leading directly from the 'nick' on the plate. The 'black residue' was present on the hanger pivot as well but it hadn't begun to creep out.

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

Both plates (front plate is the closest to the camera and you can clearly see the machining marks):

ACE got back to me real quick and are backing them by sending out another set and extra cups. They've also noted that they've seen a few of these cases (but said new cups solved it; not sure those that had the issue took them apart and saw what I saw and sent them pics). I was thanked for the pics as it will help them isolate/solve the issue in future runs (we can hope).

If anyone hasn't set them up, I'd highly suggest taking them apart and checking your cavities.

they sent you another set of baseplates  or another set of pivot cups? they just  sent me a new pivot cups. I doubt it’s going to fix the issue

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4073 on: May 10, 2021, 03:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

[close]
they sent you another set of baseplates  or another set of pivot cups? they just  sent me a new pivot cups. I doubt it’s going to fix the issue

Another pair of AF1 55s and extra cups "for good measure"...baseplates that aren't fucked would have also been fine+new cups.

My guess is if you say my cups are fucked, they'll shoot you over new cups, hell of a lot cheaper than new trucks. If you have the plate issues I'd take some photos and get after them. I know @Murge had the exact issue I did before I set mine up.

I'm dismantling the replacement set to make sure there's not machining issues before I skate them.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4074 on: May 10, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

[close]
[close]

Another pair of AF1 55s and extra cups "for good measure"...baseplates that aren't fucked would have also been fine+new cups.

My guess is if you say my cups are fucked, they'll shoot you over new cups, hell of a lot cheaper than new trucks. If you have the plate issues I'd take some photos and get after them. I know @Murge had the exact issue I did before I set mine up.

I'm dismantling the replacement set to make sure there's not machining issues before I skate them.

That’s exactly what mine looked like. The nick on mine was smooth and not sharp almost like a dent. I only had one on the front truck. But they just sent me 4 pivot cups (2 sets) and a bunch of stickers. I did get them in the mail in only a few days. When I replaced the pivot cup I replaced the back truck  pivot cup too. The back truck seemed fine and so did the pivot cup cavity. I skated on them for an hour or 2 and haven’t had another issue but I only got that one session in after changing the pivot cups. The replacement cups did seem harder than the stock ones.

Did ace send you a new baseplate @Xen? If so I’m gonna try and get a new baseplate too! Haha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4075 on: May 10, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I took some better pics:

Back truck plate:

[close]
[close]

[close]

That’s exactly what mine looked like. The nick on mine was smooth and not sharp almost like a dent. I only had one on the front truck. But they just sent me 4 pivot cups (2 sets) and a bunch of stickers. I did get them in the mail in only a few days. When I replaced the pivot cup I replaced the back truck  pivot cup too. The back truck seemed fine and so did the pivot cup cavity. I skated on them for an hour or 2 and haven’t had another issue but I only got that one session in after changing the pivot cups. The replacement cups did seem harder than the stock ones.

Did ace send you a new baseplate @Xen? If so I’m gonna try and get a new baseplate too! Haha

They said they were sending a new pair of 55s and extra cups.

I’m going to skate the borked set but rotate the cups as a test case even tho I can already predict the outcome.

After the emails I got another response on Instagram that’s said it was a "known finishing issue and has since been corrected".... nothing like sending known issues out to the masses....

EDIT: @Murge just got a UPS notification that they are to be delivered tomorrow. That's good CS right there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:01:42 PM by Xen »

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #4076 on: May 10, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
I skate the classics and my kingpins always come loose. I have jb welded them but that only lasts a couple weeks then back to the rattle. Has anyone had an issue with this with the af1s?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4077 on: May 10, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »
I skate the classics and my kingpins always come loose. I have jb welded them but that only lasts a couple weeks then back to the rattle. Has anyone had an issue with this with the af1s?

Not sure anyone here has put in enough hours yet? I'm hopeful the issue was rectified with hard metal?

Another thing I noted today on my first skate of the AF1s, they made my board sound dead (as some others have reported). I was running a new, never skated crispy Madness R7 board (epoxy/dwindle/DSM) these are always stiff and loud when you tap on crete/ollie them, paired with 101 Rictas (chattery wheels)+dry AF Spitfire classics bearings (these things are so damn fast I don't bother swapping to swiss six) that had play (not tightened to be snug) and skated on shitty terrain - with any other trucks it would have been tinny/rattly sounding.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4078 on: May 10, 2021, 07:40:08 PM »
Xen, good lord, that last photo.... Looks like someone went at with a hand drill and a wood bit, no pivot cup is surviving that shit. Good to hear it's not a universal issue (and that they took care of you), manufacturing fuck ups happen and all, but that's pretty rough...literally.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4079 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:47 PM »
Xen, good lord, that last photo.... Looks like someone went at with a hand drill and a wood bit, no pivot cup is surviving that shit. Good to hear it's not a universal issue (and that they took care of you), manufacturing fuck ups happen and all, but that's pretty rough...literally.

I know right? At first the images I sent were the first I posted here, which didn't really show the issue (just the nick) so they're all "we'll get you some new pivot cups, send your address", then I sent them the second batch and said, yeah the machining is off look at these pics...then they were like "oh snap, yeah, I see that". Super friendly and responsive CS over at Mesa Dist. - I'll report back tomorrow once the second set arrives.

The inner 'drill marks' don't seem to be the issue, they're smooth, it's the dent...hanger leans into that spot and pushes/deforms the cup into it; it's not smooth so it catches (you can feel it run when you run your finger over it. I'm assuming that's what the other truck wasn't affected because the dent is smaller and smooth. I'm going to file it down and put a spot of JB weld in there, rotate the cup and give it half an hour or so on some slappies.

That's shit QC tho, we can all see it, surely someone slacked off or the level of acceptable is just shit in the factory.