Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 747318 times)

Rubbrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 140
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4170 on: May 20, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »
To anyone who has put a Kreper IKP into a set of Ace classics: how did you get the nut to sit properly inside the cavity? I can't get it to go in deep enough to not stick out from the plate and it's making me feel insane.

It will never sit fully flush without getting a thinner profile nut. You can grind it down or file it. One of my buddies just rubs his baseplate on the concrete and it files it down

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4171 on: May 20, 2021, 07:19:09 PM »
I know there’s a million answers in this thread, but what kind of replacement bushings do you guys ride in Aces? Not looking for a crazy rattly ride, more medium surfy. I’ve heard Bones hards, but i’m willing to try whatever

Barrel Bottoms Only for me as anything else just feels off.

Stock Aces Bushings <-- Best and feel the Dual Duro is what helps ACE shine.
DLX Bait and Tackle
Mini Logo (underrrated)
Krux

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4172 on: May 20, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
To anyone who has put a Kreper IKP into a set of Ace classics: how did you get the nut to sit properly inside the cavity? I can't get it to go in deep enough to not stick out from the plate and it's making me feel insane.

Not Kreeper, but Krux - it sticks out less than a mm, and it goes into a piece of wood, so I just let it dig in. If it bothered me, I suppose I would file it down.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4173 on: May 20, 2021, 11:50:38 PM »
Been on the AF1s for a few weeks now and figured it’s been long enough to share my experience. It’s largely been the same as what everyone else has said, but I’ll share anyway.

Manufacturing quality is definitely a lot better. Quality was my biggest complaint with the classics. The new metal is harder and seems more durable. No initial quality complaints. My last set of classics had the axle off center on both trucks, so one wheel would go on fine with a few threads showing while the other side would be a quarter turn past finger tight before the wheel wouldn’t spin. Plenty of thread on each side here.

For the break in process, I left them factory tight and rocked back and forth on them for about 20 minutes. They started to firm up, then I tightened them a quarter turn and rocked them again for about 10 minutes. They felt pretty good after this.

Took them to the park and everything was great. Really nice grind, especially on the shitty old pool coping that my classics would stick on. After scratching them up a bit I did notice they didn’t grind as well on metal as they did earlier when they were brand new. They still grind well, but the classics are better on metal. AF1s are definitely superior on pool coping.

About an hour in to the first session I noticed the clicking noise and the grease coming out of the pivots. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

After a few sessions on them they felt broken in enough to ride the vert ramp (13.5 ft). They were really sketchy here. I normally ride the stock Ace bushings until they stop turning as well, but these feel way less stable than the classics. I think the softer pivot cup is the culprit. FWIW, I’m 175 lbs so I might just be heavier than the average Ace rider.

This morning I swapped the stock bottom bushings for the Krux bushings I had in my classics. After the swap they were way more stable while keeping the tight turn. The clicking finally went away today, not sure if it’s from the bushing swap or just coincidence.

I think it’s been said before, but the pivot cups are also deeper than the classics. I tried swapping them but it threw off the geometry.

My final take is that if you’re already riding Ace, you’re not missing out on much, but when it’s time to get new trucks, the AF1s will not disappoint.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4174 on: May 21, 2021, 06:09:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It will never sit fully flush without getting a thinner profile nut. You can grind it down or file it. One of my buddies just rubs his baseplate on the concrete and it files it down

Expand Quote
[close]

Not Kreeper, but Krux - it sticks out less than a mm, and it goes into a piece of wood, so I just let it dig in. If it bothered me, I suppose I would file it down.

I ended up getting it! Noticed that the nut fit fine flipped so the cavity must be slightly tapered. Just gave it a few taps with a hammer with the pin screwed inand it went in just barely flush. Grabbing some JBweld today. Psyched.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4175 on: May 21, 2021, 07:11:36 AM »
Not that happy with the AF1s...

Got the 55s first for a 8.75 AH Classic Eagle and it felt bad even with more washers on the inside. Too much magic carpet feeling.
Sold them to a Homie and bought some 66s for a 9 AH Classic Eagle. Felt better but in my head the Classics seemed to look and feel a tad more flush with the Deck.
The new Bushings are so flimsy and wobbly that even after they firmed up it felt much too wonky for my taste. Im all in for "lose trucks save lives" but not for "die while pushing cause of wheelbite"...
After a few sessions a guy asked me about the pivot cups and i was stoked to tell him that mine didnt rip. Exactly one session later my front truck pivot cup broke nearly throwing me off while pushing fast for some Slappies.

I was so keen on ACE because they helped me with my pop on flip tricks (long story). But with the new ones im experiencing the same ghost pop problems i had on Thunders before. Especially on kickflips.

Gave them about 10 Sessions, now im back on my old 55 Classics and im fucking happy again. Pop is back, no pivot cup probs etc.

I'll stick to Classics i guess..

I’m having pop problems with my AF1s. I honestly don’t quite understand trucks and kicks but the AF1s pop is dead now that I’m on a steeper kicked board. Felt good on a mellow deck.  I’m gonna see if I tighten them if it fixes them if not back to classics or maybe Indy or thunder. I just want a truck that can be “my truck”

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4176 on: May 21, 2021, 10:41:11 AM »
Got the 55s first for a 8.75 AH Classic Eagle and it felt bad even with more washers on the inside. Too much magic carpet feeling.

I have that setup.  I put three washers on the inside, one out and used the Acer Ti nut that is super thin.  With 56mm classics it ends up being the same measurement to the outside of the wheels as my 54mm Conicals on a 159.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4177 on: May 21, 2021, 11:47:52 AM »
A few weeks/months ago, someone posted their Ace Classics with the Real 3-ply Risers. Can you tell me how it's holding up? How it fits together? Post the pictures again? Curious to try it sometime.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #4178 on: May 21, 2021, 11:48:47 PM »
The bushings and top washer on my AF1 55s shift side to side and make a loud clicking/creaking noise. Every time I turn left or right there's a loud click that I can feel. I tried removing and putting them back on to see if they'd settle a little better, but no luck. I also adjusted the kingpin tighter and looser, but it didn't change. I'm going to mess with some replacement parts, I guess.

Simply remove the top washer. Problem solved! Or just give it sometime and it will eventually go away - if u have the patience.

Not that happy with the AF1s...

Sold them to a Homie and bought some 66s for a 9 AH Classic Eagle. Felt better but in my head the Classics seemed to look and feel a tad more flush with the Deck.
The new Bushings are so flimsy and wobbly that even after they firmed up it felt much too wonky for my taste. Im all in for "lose trucks save lives" but not for "die while pushing cause of wheelbite"...
After a few sessions a guy asked me about the pivot cups and i was stoked to tell him that mine didnt rip. Exactly one session later my front truck pivot cup broke nearly throwing me off while pushing fast for some Slappies.

I was so keen on ACE because they helped me with my pop on flip tricks (long story). But with the new ones im experiencing the same ghost pop problems i had on Thunders before. Especially on kickflips.

Gave them about 10 Sessions, now im back on my old 55 Classics and im fucking happy again. Pop is back, no pivot cup probs etc.

I'll stick to Classics i guess..

If u get ghost pop its not cuz of the trucks - its the combo with the deck you've paired them with. Interesting though as you said you set them up with an AH deck - I found DLX decks (14.5 WB) are the goldilocks combo for ace trucks. Plus you just gotta get used to it - as in a minimum of 10-20 hours of skating vs just a few. Sounds like you haven't given enough time to get used to it. Ghost pop happens sometimes no matter what set up one has. Thats just how it goes. But IMO thats just down to poor timing mostly and never the set up.

I mean people do tre flips on shovels and bricks so....

--

I’m having pop problems with my AF1s. I honestly don’t quite understand trucks and kicks but the AF1s pop is dead now that I’m on a steeper kicked board. Felt good on a mellow deck.  I’m gonna see if I tighten them if it fixes them if not back to classics or maybe Indy or thunder. I just want a truck that can be “my truck”
[/quote]

Steeper kicks don't work well with Ace trucks. You need a deck with mellow concave and minimum 14.5 WB then your good. This is the downside with Ace trucks. They're not as compatible as Indy / Thunders with most decks. But ppl sacrifice it all for the turn.

This is why a lot of ppl find Ace trucks too loose or 'squirly' as Ben Degros would say.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 12:04:20 AM by Bigwheelbite »

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4179 on: May 22, 2021, 12:55:00 AM »
To me ace feels the bestest with steep kicks.

Chronic85

« Reply #4180 on: May 22, 2021, 03:58:52 AM »
If u get ghost pop its not cuz of the trucks - its the combo with the deck you've paired them with. Interesting though as you said you set them up with an AH deck - I found DLX decks (14.5 WB) are the goldilocks combo for ace trucks. Plus you just gotta get used to it - as in a minimum of 10-20 hours of skating vs just a few. Sounds like you haven't given enough time to get used to it. Ghost pop happens sometimes no matter what set up one has. Thats just how it goes. But IMO thats just down to poor timing mostly and never the set up.

I mean people do tre flips on shovels and bricks so...

I know about that. My previous setup was a Hockey Deck with Thunder Ti and it was horrible. I had so much ghost pop, one time i nearly fucked up my leg on a ledge cause of that shit..
The ACE Anti Hero Combo worked perfectly for getting my pop back on kickflips. Had big problems with that since i started skating again some years ago.
10 sessions, each around 2-3 hours isnt enough to get used to? Dont know about that...
Ghost pop happens sometimes, i get you. But the increased amount of ghost pop i get on the AF1s in comparison to the Classics or Thunders is very much noticeable.
Even if i got bad timing from time to time.

Also, even if that things would only happen in my head, there's still the pivot cup disaster and the fucking bushings being like jello..

As i said, ill stick to Classics.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4181 on: May 22, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
Been super tempted to try Aces after skating Ventures for close to 10 years straight. Always liked a longer wheelbase which is part of the appeal of Ventures but I think it'd be interesting to have the same amount of board with a tighter actual wheelbase and longer nose/tail. Probably gonna grab some of the new 55s next week

wheee!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4182 on: May 22, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »
For those of you who prefer the Classics. Get on it quick:  https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html

Sidenote, Ace Risers and Shock pads are perfectly sized.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4183 on: May 24, 2021, 09:44:50 PM »
For me and ace....I think I might need bigger wheels to pop.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4184 on: May 25, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »
Expand Quote
The bushings and top washer on my AF1 55s shift side to side and make a loud clicking/creaking noise. Every time I turn left or right there's a loud click that I can feel. I tried removing and putting them back on to see if they'd settle a little better, but no luck. I also adjusted the kingpin tighter and looser, but it didn't change. I'm going to mess with some replacement parts, I guess.
[close]

Simply remove the top washer. Problem solved! Or just give it sometime and it will eventually go away - if u have the patience.

No top washer? Bushings get shredded too quickly like that from my experience. I mean, the washer is there for a reason.

I think the Aces have a fun surfy feel and would be great for cruising around and smaller transition skating. I've ridden some larger concrete parks, and they feel a little too turny / unstable on that stuff. Nothing seriously problematic, but just not the ideal feel. And the click thing sucks....

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #4185 on: May 25, 2021, 08:28:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No top washer? Bushings get shredded too quickly like that from my experience. I mean, the washer is there for a reason.

Can't say its made any diff tbh. They might get shredded a tiny bit quicker but not quick enough to warrant worrying about it. Rather just get rid of that annoying clicking immediately. Once the bushings have broken in, you can stick the top washer back on but personally I think trucks tend to work better without that top washer anyway. If you're gonna use one then Bones top washer all the way...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:31:05 PM by Bigwheelbite »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4186 on: May 26, 2021, 11:52:55 AM »
For those of you who prefer the Classics. Get on it quick:  https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html

Just wondering - how much were they?

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #4187 on: May 26, 2021, 02:53:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They were marked down to $16.99 (per truck) for the polished hangar/red baseplate Classics.

I almost pulled the trigger, but I recently got some AF1's and couldn't justify the truck madness...

Good catch on anyone who did end up snagging them.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4188 on: May 26, 2021, 02:56:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They were marked down to $16.99 (per truck) for the polished hangar/red baseplate Classics.

I almost pulled the trigger, but I recently got some AF1's and couldn't justify the truck madness...

Good catch on anyone who did end up snagging them.

Definitely would have snagged some more 44s for that price.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #4189 on: May 30, 2021, 12:37:00 AM »
Still not sure if I'll be able to fully get used to these things but they are definitely fun. The clicking started the other day and has just gotten worse and worse. Kinda driving me crazy. Gonna mess around and see if I can get it to stop

wheee!

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #4190 on: May 30, 2021, 07:27:48 AM »
Still not sure if I'll be able to fully get used to these things but they are definitely fun. The clicking started the other day and has just gotten worse and worse. Kinda driving me crazy. Gonna mess around and see if I can get it to stop

For me the clicking comes and goes and seems not to fully go away. I thought it would be just temporary but so far it feels more and more like an actualfeature of these. Sometimes I ponder, did they even test these things. Still, I find these super fun to skate everywhere.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4191 on: May 30, 2021, 08:32:28 AM »
I tightened mine up a little. And the clicking stopped and I’m enjoying them more than I was. Mine felt almost too surfy and unstable before tightening.

Bigwheelbite

« Reply #4192 on: May 31, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me the clicking comes and goes and seems not to fully go away. I thought it would be just temporary but so far it feels more and more like an actualfeature of these. Sometimes I ponder, did they even test these things. Still, I find these super fun to skate everywhere.

Have u tried taking the top washer off?

kenjiro

« Reply #4193 on: June 04, 2021, 07:09:36 AM »
Anyone skate a sub 14.25 wheelbase with ace classics? I’m skating an 8.5 wide 14.5 WB and it’s kinda a bitch to flip.

I’m looking at polar 8.25 14.125 WB but kinda concerned it might be too squirely.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #4194 on: June 04, 2021, 08:04:13 AM »
Anyone skate a sub 14.25 wheelbase with ace classics? I’m skating an 8.5 wide 14.5 WB and it’s kinda a bitch to flip.

I’m looking at polar 8.25 14.125 WB but kinda concerned it might be too squirely.

I've skated classic 44s on FA/Hockey 8.25 (14.12 wb) and 8.38 (14.18 wb) and I liked it a lot. Although I personally like 14.25 wb better on classics.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4195 on: June 04, 2021, 08:04:45 AM »
I skate a Frog 8.3 14wb with my classics and I dont really think its squirely at all.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4196 on: June 04, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »

I skated a 8.38 x14.18 hockey with 44 classics. It felt good for street. Taking it to the diy or park transition felt a little squirrely  but not awful I did find myself putting my front foot a little past front bolts on some transition. I’m 6’1 if that matters.

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #4197 on: June 04, 2021, 08:40:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I skated a 8.38 x14.18 hockey with 44 classics. It felt good for street. Taking it to the diy or park transition felt a little squirrely  but not awful I did find myself putting my front foot a little past front bolts on some transition. I’m 6’1 if that matters.

It was pretty much the same for me, and I'm just 5'8, I imagine it's even worse for taller fellas.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #4198 on: June 04, 2021, 09:16:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I found out that Ace makes a size 66 and I am excited to try them on one of those 8.75 anti heros. 

Has anybody found that the axles are bending on their ace trucks?
[close]

66's are going to be a bit on the wide side for 8.75 I would think mate.  I'd go for the 55's

[close]

Its all preference.  Most people ride an Indy 149 on an 8.5 but I feel like the 169 works better.  They are just a tiny bit wider than the board.  I think a Ace size 66 would fit the same way on an 8.75.  They have the 55 listed as fitting 8.75 to 9.0 on their website but I think a wider truck would be better for that size of board.

I mean, I ride Venture 5.8s on an 8.25 one speed ring on each end of the wheel and I’m good to go. I like the stability.

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #4199 on: June 04, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I found out that Ace makes a size 66 and I am excited to try them on one of those 8.75 anti heros. 

Has anybody found that the axles are bending on their ace trucks?
[close]

66's are going to be a bit on the wide side for 8.75 I would think mate.  I'd go for the 55's

[close]

Its all preference.  Most people ride an Indy 149 on an 8.5 but I feel like the 169 works better.  They are just a tiny bit wider than the board.  I think a Ace size 66 would fit the same way on an 8.75.  They have the 55 listed as fitting 8.75 to 9.0 on their website but I think a wider truck would be better for that size of board.
[close]

I mean, I ride Venture 5.8s on an 8.25 one speed ring on each end of the wheel and I’m good to go. I like the stability.

Is this the secret to becoming a necromancer?